Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I think J.B. Is correct, the young guys I hunt with are into camo and black rifles. They aren't going to spend a whole lot on a rifle and scope. They aren't impressed by a Biesen rifle. They wouldn't know a pre 64 or a Sako pre Garcia. They like AR 's and bipods. I wonder if all the valuable rifles will be worth anything in a few years?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
denton,

Both caseless ammo and electronic scopes with internal ballistic calculators have already existed in very viable forms for a while. I hunted with a Voere rifle using caseless ammo providing very similar ballistics to the .223 Remington in South Africa in 1993, and it was very accurate and reliable. In fact the only odd thing about using it was opening the action after shooting a round, and not having an empty case fly out of the action! The automatic reaction is to suspect some sort of extraction problem, but there never was a "stuck case."

The ammo was a little more expensive than standard brass-cartridge ammo, but not by all that much. But despite the best efforts of the same advertising/public relations firm that was making a major success of Swarovski optics at the time, it went nowhere in the marketplace. Maybe if the rifle hadn't been European?

The Burris Eliminator scopes with internal laser range-finder that light up an LED aiming point work very well. (Bushnell and Nikon marketed very similar scopes, but somehow Burris won out.) They also provide a reading for a 10-mph, full-value wind-drift in the "viewfinder" of the scope. Another scope/rifle system has been available that compensates for moving targets.

Those scopes admittedly do not provide a reading that includes automatic compensation for environmental conditions, such as temperature, elevation and wind, but those are already included in military "target-finding" programs. Would they be accepted/purchased by civilian shooters if available in scopes?

Obviously it would depend on price, but many hunters and target shooters are already spending several thousand dollars on conventional "mechanical" scopes, then using ballistic programs in their smart phones to make corrections for environmental conditions.

Would they be willing to spend as much for scopes that do it all? Indications so far are no, but as we've seen in recent years, technology that was considered too expensive often becomes much more "affordable" in a few years.

Whether or not shooters who've spent years learning to use mechanical scopes with ballistic apps will spend plenty of money, but scopes that take over their "job" are another question. There's always some resistance to new technology. We saw it a generation or two ago with synthetic stocks, which now almost totally dominate the market.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know there have been several attempts to do caseless ammo, and just recently noticed (yet another!) news release that the US military may have really, no kidding this time, found their caseless ammo solution. It seems to me that if that promise ever comes true, it will change the landscape.

If electronic scopes can be brought down in price to consumer levels, they offer some real advantages, maybe enough to offset the big disadvantage of being useless without batteries. I don't know.... would customers accept something like that? Electronic triggers were such a huge hit....

Be not weary in well doing.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Along with electronic-ignition primers....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
OK. How about a caseless cartridge rifle with electronic ignition, yet still classified in most quarters as a..........;...........:................. primitive weapon:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...ic-stock-black-26-barrel-stainless-steel

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Every new cartridge will have "Creedmoor" on it. wink

They have found that merely hearing the word "Creedmoor" is more effective than any pill for combating erectile dysfunction. (The only downside being almost spontaneous ejaculation.) wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One area that has room to grow here is airguns. As I've mentioned a time or two, I regularly watch British hunting shows on Youtube. A couple of the better ones have airgun spinoffs. Those folks take their BB guns very seriously, spending more on their toys than most of us do on real ones. It's not just because gun laws there are strict, as anything generating over 12 foot-pounds in England requires the same license as a firearm and in
Scotland, any airgun does (although there's a bit of civil disobedience going on there about that).

The Brits take their pest control very seriously, with various pigeons, rats, rabbits, jackdaws, crows, foxes, and even flocks of beautiful little green parrots on the menu. One serious pest is American gray squirrels, introduced by someone, possibly as our payback for starlings. Some of the setups with night-vision, infrared, video-through-the-scope, and electronic scopes cost thousands; pounds, not dollars. The shooting can be very challenging given the looping trajectories and wind drift.

A while back, there was a test of airguns for use on foxes, using actual fox heads for targets. A PCP .30 caliber just crushed them. I'd have no reservations about using one on stuff as large as a turkey, after seeing that.

Check out Airheads and The Airgun Show.

What fresh Hell is this?
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If congress can get the suppressor bill passed and rid them of all the BS associated with them, that market will explode.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HitnRun
This is a world of re-invention with nothing going on now for nearly 130 years. John Browning took the 1873 Winchester and made a semi-automatic out of it and before the turn of the century he ad a full automatic weapon functioning reliably.

Smokeless powder was invented in 1884 and put to use before the turn of the century, and so were jacketed bullets and bottleneck cases.

Today a 1911 is still considered modern, smokeless powder and other shooting components are pretty much the same as they were for over a hundred years. Improvements have been made, but other than slight modifications, nothing much is new in the last 100 years.

No complaints here though, as I still like reciprocating V-8 engines and rifles/pistols that shoot smokeless powder. I am content with the lack of innovation, and really can't call a Creedmore, Short Magnums, AR platforms or polymer pistols, innovative.

Well said!

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
.338 WSM with a 20" barrel, for those Texas deer hunters who have had to track deer shot with their .300 WM and who only practice with their rifle the weekend before the season opener and want a short, handy rifle.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Every new cartridge will have "Creedmoor" on it. wink

They have found that merely hearing the word "Creedmoor" is more effective than any pill for combating erectile dysfunction. (The only downside being almost spontaneous ejaculation.) wink
laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Maybe a mid-priced Ruger No. 1 clone. Something in the $600-$700 US range.

I guess a lot of people still want overpowered cartridges, but it would be nice to have a 30-30 class cartridge in a Farquharson-style rifle. Something with nice looking lines that isn't $1500.

You could chamber the usual suspects (but not released at the same time). By that I mean the 22 Hornet, 303 British, 30-30, 7x57R. Or re-release the 375 Win, 307 Win.

I'd like to see something with nicer lines than an H&R or even the new Henry single shots.

Mossberg made one.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes. I haven't seen one around here in years.

It all boils down to what will turn the most profit. I doubt a single shot 375 or 7x57R would sell too many.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Whilst it has taken some years to sink in and owning more than I ever need to own, in retirement, I am opted to throwing time (previously rare) and money funding hunts.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can honestly say that my needs & desires are met in the arsenal I have.

I'm somewhat surprised in 'some' cals/cartridges that are occupying so much interest these days. I really don't know if some are genuinely interested or merely curious. As for myself I have NO interest in much of the NEW 'sensational' offerings.

To me 'less' is not more. OTOH some of the newer HOT rounds don't appeal to me **because** they're burning much more powder than they gain in performance.

I've spent a lot if yrs. and effort attaining and developing my 'herd'. Out of all, there is only ONE that may not stay. If it leaves, I will not have a void in the performance scale. I love the rifle, the cartridge - uh so so.

One advantage of Old Age is contentment.

That's not to say there aren't a few rifles/cartridges I'd like to PLAY with - a
416 RM being one. I don't need it so I have no regrets.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/22/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm down to a few 270's and a 6.5X55 swede. I'm planning to hunt the swede more than anything. So far the 100+ year old cartridge has killed game with 1 well placed shot.

I hear some of the new stuff out there such as the 6.5 creedmoor will kill game with a 1/2 a shot. 😀

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would love to see a Model 70 extreme weather in .280ai. I wish one of the major players would chamber the 6.5-06a square. I know the folks here have discussed it.....seems like it would fall between the creedmoor and .264 win. Might come pretty close to the 6.5 saum.Perfect for Churners.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=denton]Caseless ammo.
/quote]

I hope not. Reloading is too much fun.

But really, I'd like to see a wider range of existing cartridges offered. I'm sick of a new stainless/synthetic rifle offered in .243, .270, .308, .30-06, 7mm RMag and .300 WMag.

Last edited by Elvis; 04/22/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If congress can get the suppressor bill passed and rid them of all the BS associated with them, that market will explode.

+1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Trystan

I hear some of the new stuff out there such as the 6.5 creedmoor will kill game with a 1/2 a shot. 😀

Trystan

grin grin

You'd think !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
194 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 17 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.