Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who is going for spring bear this year?

After the last two seasons using the 270 Win and 160 gr Partitions (which works great) I'm using the 35 Whelen again this year but giving the 200 gr TTSX a try. No grizzly permit this spring so black bears for me, really looking forward to getting out.

Gerry.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sold the house and have a kid in the hospital, so this year was not in the cards for me. Love spring bear hunting. First chance to carry a big bore rifle in the woods.

Spiritual time.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been out a few times,weather permitting,which hasn't been much...Seen 5 so far..I should be up into the teens by now,but winter here in western Oregon just won't go away..

Here is a encounter I had the other day checking a trailcam and sneaking the grassy road..Bears like to feed on the grass and they can often be snuck up on..Finally had to yell at her so I could continue on.. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miFFbZ8GCIE

gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Santiam
I have been out a few times,weather permitting,which hasn't been much...Seen 5 so far..I should be up into the teens by now,but winter here in western Oregon just won't go away..

Here is a encounter I had the other day checking a trailcam and sneaking the grassy road..Bears like to feed on the grass and they can often be snuck up on..Finally had to yell at her so I could continue on.. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miFFbZ8GCIE

Nice video, I love seeing black shapes on emerald green grass smile We don't really get much until early May but that isn't far away and I like to get out anyway. Saw the first one last week. Good luck, hope you have a big boar to show soon.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a tag, but snow stops us about 2 miles from our favored campsite. Probably get at it mid-May.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There has to be one out there somewhere!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drew a unit in Washington that was about 60% burned 2 years ago. I've yet to see a bear or turd, and the roads here are falling off of the mountains (literally).....but it's been fun so far.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd like to go bear hunting again. Maybe with my camera. I don't particularly like bear meat, and I've already got a decent rug. It'd be good to just get out for awhile. Right now however, there is still 10' for snow on the mountains.

Park bear from a couple of years ago.
[Linked Image]

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I should update this I guess. Took out two younger hunters and they each shot their bears (both were their first big game animals) The old 303 British with 180 gr Speer RN's were what they used, I did clean things up in the brush with the aforementioned 35 Whelen 200 gr TTSX combo which is quite impressive.

When my turn came last Sunday I used my 270 Win with 160 gr Partition's for the third year in a row. I really like how well they work and are my favourite bullet in 270, my young relative was quite impressed with how fast this guy hit the dirt. This bear was the perfect meat bear, not too big and not too small most of the meat is in the freezer now (mostly ground) but the 2 hams are in a brine for making ham and should be ready by late next week.

Using this recipe with a couple of substitutions, will see how it turns out.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Recipe-Bear-Ham/567386280.uts

[Linked Image]

Last edited by gerry35; 06/02/17.

Gerry.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My absolute favorite hunt, but I had too much stuff going on at home and at work this year so didn't make it on our annual Idaho bear hunt. My buddies just got back on Memorial Day and they went four for four on spot and stalk OTC tags. They said the ticks were terrible this year and they had to put in a lot of miles because Spring was early and the grass was tall everywhere, but still had a good time and great success.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats Gerry! You flattened that bear!

Couple of photos of a bear I saw while traveling through your fair land:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I could only use a camera.

Guy

Last edited by GuyM; 06/05/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hear that they are working on bears with torsion bars instead of coils. grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I would like to be in my treestand observing bear below me while they feed on bait in a barrel, so much fun. But due to back surgeries and a wore out knee packing bait 200 yards is too much for me. I have baited the same spot for 25 years plus, except these last three. Would like to find a partner that could help with placing bait and setting up so we could each harvest a bear. PM for details.

Last edited by Zilch; 06/07/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think, I will be going next spring. Lord willing.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 12 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.