Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I recently bought a stainless laminated T3x from Whittakers in 308. Figured it was a safe bet to be a decent shooter.

So far with 3 different factory loads I have yet to shoot a group approaching MOA. I might pull the brand new scope and put a known good scope just to check but this is really frustrating.

Anyone else run into a dog of a Tikka? Do they claim any expected accuracy standard?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I suppose it can happen to any rifle, the ones I've owned have shot MOA or better with most loads. I would check the scope and mounts before giving up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dennis,

Try Hornady 168 AMAX match. It's been a one holer at 100 yards in three 308 Tikkas I've owned.

If you still can't get it to shoot, try 45.5 Varget under a 155 Secnar.

If that fails too, send the rifle to me and I'll shoot it a while and get back to you.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd swap out the scope first.. Been there, done that.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! I thought from the title this was going to be another one of those "My Kimber wont shoot" threads with pictures of MOA groups. the Kimber guys love to post these ( They seem to think its some great feat that their rifle will actually shoot decent, lol )......We seem to take for granted that Tikka rifles will shoot good right out of the box with any factory load we try. I have owned a pile of Tikka T3/T3X rifles and have yet to find one that didnt shoot MOA right out of the box, but they are man made like all rifles are and you are apt to run across a dog from time to time in any brand...If that rifle dont shoot like you think it should I would send it back to Beretta and see what happens, you got nothin to lose.......Good luck.....Hb

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Give them a call.......

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Have a buddy that has a 243 win that shoots patterns!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Change the scope and find out if it does or doesn't...

Of course then the subject line of your next post will have to be either boring or even more dramatic.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This would be a first. Most likely the scope

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
dennis,

One of the basic rules of rifles is NOT to put a brand-new scope on a brand-new rifle, because if accuracy isn't good you can't tell which one is the problem. Please don't ask how I learned this....

But even supposedly proven scopes can also choose inopportune times to go bad. I got a .260 Remington Tikka from Whittaker Guns in 2015. Put a proven scope on it and the first 3-shot group, shot with the 140-grain Remington Core-Lokt factory load, measured .44 inch.

I thought, "Wow, this is gonna be easy!" I then shot up about 100 rounds of handloads with suck results. After a while I realized the scope just MIGHT be the problem, because I'd previously had it on a .300 Winchester magnum for a while. Put another scope on the .260 and it started shooting like a Tikka should.

Sent the scope back to the factory and they immediately sent me a new one. Am guessing the .300 had just about baked it, and the first group with the .260 Remington was the scope's last gasp before going belly-up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Check the scope and mounts as others have suggested. Also try Hornady American Gunner 155-grain ammo. Mine regularly puts three shots touching at 200 yards with this load.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Take the barrel and action out re torque the screws and then try another scope. Also are you using the rings that come with it I don't like them get you some Talley rings

Tater
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tikkas come with a 1 moa guarantee from the factory...probably not the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd bet money it ain't the gun...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Also are you using the rings that come with it I don't like them get you some Talley rings

I have a ? for you. Have you used or tried the Tikka rings?
I bought a T 3, 270 W in 2003. I wasn't impressed with the rings either BUT, I thot I'd give them a try.

This past season I shot this doe at 150 yds.

[Linked Image]

This makes FOURTEEN (14) seasons, with the SAME scope. I'm still trying them out.

[Linked Image]

They work better than some think.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/24/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had some weird results with a couple of T3s. If someone told me their rifle did the same, I'd probably call BS, but it is what it is. The weird part is both problem rifles eventually shot sub-moa without having anything done at all. Still scratching my head on that one, I've had rifles shoot a bit better with time, but never a drastic change. Heck, one of them(338 Fed) shot 3"+ patterns with factory ammo on the first outing. Hand loads were better at around 1.25-1.5, then as development went on down to just below 1in, so the rifle was a keeper. The shocker was I still had some of the original lot # factory ammo that shot so poorly and when firing it to recycle the brass I achieved submoa. Never seen that before. The other poor shooter was in the 1.5moa range with loads it preferred, not what I expected out of a Tikka. It too started shooting submoa with handloads, but it was not a apples to apple comparison to the 338 fed.

The other two T3s I own shot great out of the gate.

Maybe there's hope yet for yours.

loder

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lug not seated will monkey with stuff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I recently bought a stainless laminated T3x from Whittakers in 308. Figured it was a safe bet to be a decent shooter.

So far with 3 different factory loads I have yet to shoot a group approaching MOA. I might pull the brand new scope and put a known good scope just to check but this is really frustrating.

Anyone else run into a dog of a Tikka? Do they claim any expected accuracy standard?

I agree with the others: try a trusted scope. I'll also add check the scope's mounts.

That said, you can get a lemon in any mass produced rifle. I had a T3 in 7-08 that was just a 1.75" rifle at 100 yards, and I tried a number of loads and several scopes.

I still killed a lot of hogs and deer with it, but it never sat right with me so I traded it off.

Last fall I picked up a T3x from Whittker's in 7-08. I haven't shot many different loads through it so far, but all of the groups I have shot are well under an inch for four shots.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Of th 8 T3s I've had / have,the lot have run from one holers to 3/4" guns. The most challenging was a 338 Win mag. Could just be because it kicked like two sons a bitches. The two best have both been 7 Rem mags. 22/250,25/06,243,30/06,300 WSM,338 Win mag and 7 Rem mag. Tika rings,Talley rings,Burris Signatures on a rail. Walnut stocks,laminated stocks,factory synthetic and Bell + Carlson. Pretty well did the T3 thing.

Mount up a proven scope.

Make certain the recoil lug is properly nested.

A good bench,front rest / bags would be a big help. If you don't have a good back bag borrow or buy one. Money well spent. I use my old Bald Eagle brand rear bag. A left over from my BR days. Protector Model can hook you up with the proper bag for your needs. Very helpful folks.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
This would be a first. Most likely the scope

I saw a post on another message board where a guy had a T3 in '06 that wouldn't shoot so 2 in one day is really out there.

Last edited by smarquez; 04/24/17.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.