Print Thread
Hop To
C
coyo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have 2+ Lbs. of calcium carbide in an old I believe about 1960 calcium carbide miners lamp can I will sell for $45 shipped to your tee pee.

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might want to look into what it takes to ship calcium carbide. Just a thought.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Must be shipped HAZMAT, and you must be certified to ship HAZMAT to be able to ship HAZMAT, they won't accept shipments from anybody without credentials.

C
coyo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Ive seen quite a bit of this on ebay now maybe these folks got hazmat but Ive never seen them mention anything about hazmat and their horse pucky but I spose you better hope and pray that trump does make america great again cause its about a damn mess now.

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That stuff is one of those things that truly legitimizes HAZMAT. Suppose your package got wet along the way, or the mailman simply sets it outside the recipient's door in the rain- don't laugh wet packages aren't uncommon in my life. And if carbide gets wet...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That stuff is one of those things that truly legitimizes HAZMAT. Suppose your package got wet along the way, or the mailman simply sets it outside the recipient's door in the rain- don't laugh wet packages aren't uncommon in my life. And if carbide gets wet...

It wouldn't hurt a thing unless it was in an air tight container and got wet,or it was exposed to an open flame. It creates a gas when it gets wet that will ignite.It might explode if enough of it got wet enough inside an air tight container. If the gas expanded enough it might explode but it isn't like dynamite.

A miners light used Carbide inside an air tight container mixed with water.You would light the nozzle which is attached to a reflector for a light. Miners would wear them on their head. I never knew of any miners getting their heads blown off.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/25/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have my grandfather's carbide lamp he wore daily for the 3 or 4 years he worked in the Glen Burn Mine in Shamokin, Pa back in the 20's (before he had the good sense to get out of that game). He told stories of guys suffering burnt hair and scorched faces from malfunctioning carbide lamps. They are anything but foolproof.

Go ahead and mail the carbide. Personally I really don't care. Just don't say you weren't warned when a couple postal inspectors come knocking at your door...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 3,309 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.