Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by starsky
Raise the price, spend more, raise the price, spend more.

.gov never cuts budgets. CPW has new trucks to pay for, ya know.

Though it is funny when non residents bitch and moan like their opinion should matter.

Exactly

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anytime the wildlife division has to take the parks dept. you are garented to get hosed!! The dog walkers and joggers are a constant whimpering drain on the wildlife dept.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sako76
I'm a non-resident, I will buy a bull tag, cow tag and deer tag costing me about $1500. I have a choice, pay it and hunt or don't pay it and don't hunt, I choose to pay it. The same resident tags cost around $130 dollars. Just don't tell me I'm getting a bargain!

I pay out of state rates too, and I think out of state residents should pay more if your hunting on STATE ground since the locals pay those taxes. What burns my butt is paying so much more for hunting the National Parks which is funded by federal taxes that I DO pay. I hate for anyone to have to pay more, but the in-state people great a great deal hunting their local federal land by comparison.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by djb
I'm a non-resident, I will buy a bull tag, cow tag and deer tag costing me about $1500. I have a choice, pay it and hunt or don't pay it and don't hunt, I choose to pay it. The same resident tags cost around $130 dollars. Just don't tell me I'm getting a bargain!

I pay out of state rates too, and I think out of state residents should pay more if your hunting on STATE ground since the locals pay those taxes. What burns my butt is paying so much more for hunting the National Parks which is funded by federal taxes that I DO pay. I hate for anyone to have to pay more, but the in-state people great a great deal hunting their local federal land by comparison.

I don't know of any National Parks anyone can hunt on.Certainly not Rocky Mountain National Park or Sand Dunes.

However, that aside, the reason is the states own the wildlife ,but not the federal land. Anyone can use the federal land ,but they can't fish on it hunt it without a state license.The silly thing is hunters and fisherman must buy the Habitat stamp to hunt or fish on federal land,but all others do not.

You are paying to hunt or fish the wildlife,not to hunt or fish on federal land

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/24/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by djb

I don't know of any National Parks anyone can hunt on.Certainly not Rocky Mountain National Park or Sand Dunes.

However, that aside, the reason is the states own the wildlife ,but not the federal land. Anyone can use the federal land ,but they can't fish on it hunt it without a state license.The silly thing is hunters and fisherman must buy the Habitat stamp to hunt or fish on federal land,but all others do not.

You are paying to hunt or fish the wildlife,not to hunt or fish on federal land

I did mean National Forest not Parks. I guess it makes more sense when you explain it that way - in a legal sense. So essentially state property (elk) are trespassing on Federal land. I wonder if we should refer to them as "undocumented ungulates" grin .

It is just getting so expensive for the average working person to hunt in state, let alone out of state.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Think about ski areas. All of them that I know about in Colorado are on federal land except maybe the lift terminals,etc. Runs on mountains are on NF lands.Folks pay billions of dollars every year to slide down them hills. Exception is the ski company leases that land for the right to put improvements on it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prior CO resident here. The NR license fees are obscene enough. Raising them means that I will have reached the limit of my tolerance. Paying nearly $500 for a nil chance at a cow elk is not my idea of fun. I suppose I will draw licenses for the aggregate 35 pref. points I have and be done with CO hunting.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Saddlesore, your a great guy and I have personally received great advice and assistance from you in the past. I'm not trying to argue, but must be honest that it is frustrating that there is such a huge discrepancy paying >$600 for the same tag in-state residents pay $60 for hunting on Federal land. It has been years since I skied there, but I don't believe the resorts charge out of state clients more for their lift tickets than CO residents.

The one advantage I can see is that - I suspect - out-of-state hunters may actually have an advantage in the draws since the state will make more $ on the higher $ tags. Plus, the benefit to the local businesses (hotel, gas, grocery etc.)

Take care

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An Iowa whitetail tag would cost me over $600 now. You have to pay for points and then finally draw and pay for tags. I elect not to do that anymore. Feel free to exercise your same right not to hunt elk here any longer.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not Saddlesore, but while ski lift tickets are not marketed at out of state and instate rates, some of it does exist in practice. Most (all?) of the major Colorado mountains offer season passes and other lift ticket packages at reduced pricing. To take advantage of may of these offers, you have to come to a Colorado-based location to have your photo taken for the pass and to register. I suspect a frequent flyer could figure out how to get it done without living in the state, but for a family that does not live in Colorado, it would probably be hard to accomplish.

As an example, Copper Mountain offers a "Four Pass", meaning four days of skiing for about $140, if purchased well before the beginning of the season (now). A family flying in to ski for a long weekend would probably pay over $100 per day per person for lift passes at Copper.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
Feel free to exercise your same right not to hunt elk here any longer.

The reality is, we need more people to exercise that right.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I sent Colorado over 2k in application fees 3 weeks ago so for me to think non residents are getting by cheap.....no

But we do thank you...

One reason I won't buy an antelope buck tag in Wyoming is the $225 NR cost. I can buy two NR doe tags for about $38 each and double my fun.

I'd suggest moving to CO but it's going to pot - literally and figuratively.

Anyway, I empathize with you out of state hunters. We have land back in Iowa where I could hunt pheasant while visiting family. Last time I checked I think a 2-day NR license was $80. Thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/24/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by djb
Saddlesore, your a great guy and I have personally received great advice and assistance from you in the past. I'm not trying to argue, but must be honest that it is frustrating that there is such a huge discrepancy paying >$600 for the same tag in-state residents pay $60 for hunting on Federal land. It has been years since I skied there, but I don't believe the resorts charge out of state clients more for their lift tickets than CO residents.

The one advantage I can see is that - I suspect - out-of-state hunters may actually have an advantage in the draws since the state will make more $ on the higher $ tags. Plus, the benefit to the local businesses (hotel, gas, grocery etc.)

Take care

djb.No offense taken.I was only trying to explain the reason why folks have to pay to hunt,fish,Or ski on public land. I feel your pain for NRC tags. I would like to hunt NM ,but I can't pay that $850 for the High Desireable tags where I known where to hunt.

I paid for a NR tag twice in my like.Once when CO offered the Sportmans Tag ($35 back then for all three big game)and another time I went to Alberta for elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by 30338
Feel free to exercise your same right not to hunt elk here any longer.

The reality is, we need more people to exercise that right.

Amen!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No offense to NR hunters, almost all I've met are good guys. There's just too many. Gotta have that revenue......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What we need to do is charge residents $600 and non-residents $60 to hunt on Federal land. That would even out things out.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Whiptail

What we need to do is charge residents $600 and non-residents $60 to hunt on Federal land. That would even out things out.

Residents already pay that $540 difference by living here

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Why is it always a texan that can't understand the basics?

Come tromp around on the federal land to your heart's content. Pitch a tent, have a fire if there isn't a fire ban in effect. Want to shoot one of Colorado's critters? Pay the non resident fee for it, because those are COLORADO'S critters and you're not a resident of Colorado. Savvy?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
WRONG!! Hit one those critters with your truck and see if Colorado claims it?? No state claims to (own) wildlife!! too much liability

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mohick
WRONG!! Hit one those critters with your truck and see if Colorado claims it?? No state claims to (own) wildlife!! too much liability

You dumb ass, deer don't carry collision insurance.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.