Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Saw a post somewhere recently asking which would be the best choice for deer hunting, shotgun slug gun or in line muzzle loader?

Why not both?

I have had an old Mossberg 500 12 gauge for many years, put a slug barrel on it a few years ago, and like the results, although I haven't really used it that much. Couple of seasons ago I got a .50 muzzle loader barrel for it. Nice, heavy barrel, shoot great. Only thing I don't like about it is no removable breech plug.

Not as easy to change barrels as with an Encore, but certainly offers some "flexibility"?

Mike

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They made those for the 870 as well. Thinking mid to late 90's?

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here in Illinois our options are limited ... shotgun/slug, muzzle loader, or wheel gun. I have all three (Mossberg 500 slug gun, CVA Optima, and two Rugers ... 45LC and 480). It was a challenge finding the right sabot for the Mossberg and found the Hornady SST a perfect match.

I choose which weapon to take based on hunting conditions. In the climbing stand with ample visibility and clearance I choose the CVA as I intend to make that first shot count. I do have one of the Rugers close in case a shooter ambles by the tree I'm in. If I am out and about I prefer having a long-range follow-up shot available so I carry the Mossberg.

I've taken deer with all three under those conditions and haven't let one get away yet. Illinois is a far cry from the deer hunting conditions I grew up with in NE Oregon. Dad shot a scoped M70 in 30-06 and gave me the M94 in 32WS with iron sights. I leaned to get sneaky early on. wink

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
In Texas, during muzzle loader only season, using a centerfire revolver is not legal. I had read about a prominent ML hunter who carried a Ruger Old Army as a "backup" while ML hunting - but Texas does not recognize a cap & ball revolver as a muzzle loader, so that isn't legal either. My solution was yo get a CVA Optima "pistol", in .50. Shooting a 360 gr .45 hard cast in a sabot with 2 50 gr Triple S pellets, I get over 1700 fps muzzle velocity. Will actually probably use it as the primary ML, the Mossberg for a follow-up shot when needed.

Mike

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have one. Its accurate, if i recall its an oddball twist too. 1:30 or something? May be mis remembering.

USed 240gn xtp with green sabot and it was a good shooter.

worst parts: the sites on the stock barrel are sub par. Barely adjustable on mine, which was an early edition.

If you dont clean it ASAP you might as well buy new bolt/springs/internals. Blowback gets all over inside IME and its annoying. Clean it, scope or peep it, and its a real winner.

Come t think of it, I am going to pull mine out again. Been sleeping for a long while.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Mine is scoped, and pretty accurate. I like the break action, removable breech plug guns more, but the Mossberg barrel was a very economical way to get into in-line muzzle loading. Some of the features, like using the shotgun magazine as a "holder" for a ramrod, and pretty unique.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
#2 son uses a Mossberg 500 with a ML barrel and has taken a bunch of deer with it. We use Lee R.E.A.L. bullets.

The only downside to the contraption has been that it REALLY fouls up the action of the shotgun. The primers make a whopping mess of things, especially the boltface.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a 12 gauge slug barrel for a Browning A5 that groups well out to about 75 yards with the old Brenneke style slugs. Sum beach kicks like a mule but it will knock stuff down. Trajectory is pitiful. Would much prefer a good in-line front stuffer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.