24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll share this again even though I seem to get jumped on every time.

I carry my trophies home as checked luggage. I understand regulations in foreign countries have changed since the mid-2000's. I've personally carried trophies home from foreign countries six different times. One of the times my trophies were confiscated in Denver, which was wrong, and I did receive an apology, but I did have to pay for air shipment from Denver along with a fee from a receiving company. In all still far cheaper.

You'll need a list of all the trophies from a local government office documenting each animal. I have returned home with CITIES 3 animals without issue.

If I were to go again I would hand carry back european mounts and have my taxidermist purchase capes if I wanted life mounts.

You'll want to book your arrival so you have extra time to go through customs but in all my trips it only took about an extra 20 minutes. One time when entering Dalles the agent was taken back and I asked them to contact their manager who came out and said my shipment was acceptable. He also asked me if I had enough time to use my trophies for training. It was fun to watch him train his people.

I extend my trip after my hunt to allow my trophies to dry - still far cheaper than shipping them.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The cheapest hide and horns import I have ever done was from, of all places, Mongolia.
I shot a Gobi Ibex there. The hide was dried while we were still in the desert. The skull was boiled, and there was a veterinary certification obtained for the head and horns before they left the country. I took along another duffel bag to put the hide, skull, and horns in, with sections of garden hose to put over the horn tips to keep them from breaking. Upon arriving at the Denver airport, the USDA had to inspect everything, but no problems whatsoever.

The most expensive import in recent times is the cape, skull and horns of an Asian Water Buffalo I took in Argentina. By the time they arrived at my taxidermist in Denver, the bill was well over $2000!

Like many others here, my days of bringing home horns, capes, skins, etc. are over. House is too full of mounts to allow for any more, and it has gotten too expensive in general.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Boise

I carry my trophies home as checked luggage. I understand regulations in foreign countries have changed since the mid-2000's. I've personally carried trophies home from foreign countries six different times. One of the times my trophies were confiscated in Denver, which was wrong, and I did receive an apology, but I did have to pay for air shipment from Denver along with a fee from a receiving company. In all still far cheaper.

You'll need a list of all the trophies from a local government office documenting each animal. I have returned home with CITIES 3 animals without issue.

If I were to go again I would hand carry back european mounts and have my taxidermist purchase capes if I wanted life mounts.

You'll want to book your arrival so you have extra time to go through customs but in all my trips it only took about an extra 20 minutes. One time when entering Dalles the agent was taken back and I asked them to contact their manager who came out and said my shipment was acceptable. He also asked me if I had enough time to use my trophies for training. It was fun to watch him train his people.

I extend my trip after my hunt to allow my trophies to dry - still far cheaper than shipping them.

Where the previous countries you brought stuff home from in Africa? I am willing to bet hard money you won't get vet, nature conservation, and customs export certificates done now in less than 2-3 weeks. Bribes will only help just so much. If you don't prior contact with USFWS and USDA inspectors to meet your plane on your arrival, again you are screwed. Good luck on bringing raw stuff from Africa as your personal luggage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jdollar
Originally Posted by Boise

Where the previous countries you brought stuff home from in Africa? I am willing to bet hard money you won't get vet, nature conservation, and customs export certificates done now in less than 2-3 weeks. Bribes will only help just so much. If you don't prior contact with USFWS and USDA inspectors to meet your plane on your arrival, again you are screwed. Good luck on bringing raw stuff from Africa as your personal luggage.

Returned from Namibia three times, once from RSA, once from Kyrgystan, and once from Canada. Had others I hunted with also return with trophies. One doesn't need to make prior contact with USFWS or USDA. I spent time with the USFWS agent when I enter Dalles with a wolf and two Siberian Ibex. He said my paper work was perfectly in order and what I was doing was perfectly legal. I did research the regulations prior to my entry and made certain all forms and trophies were properly completed. One CAN NOT import "raw stuff". Trophies must be without any raw meat. My capes did have trace amounts of dried meat and that was deemed acceptable.

You would loose any bets with me. I was present when the Namibian vet certificates were issued and they were provided during our visit. A fee was charged although it was low enough the PH didn't pass along the expense. I don't recall the RSA experience other than the PH said it was easy and his first time sending trophies (euro mounts in this case) home with the hunter. Kyrgyzstan was a little more difficult for my hunt manager but I wasn't charged extra. Canada was more time consuming because the inspector was a big time hunter and wanted to swap stories about goat hunting and he told me right off I was free to go but he wanted to talk - really nice guy.

Namibia mandated dipping of trophies since my travels. There wasn't a US mandate requiring imported trophies to be dipped prior to entry and I don't know if there is one in place at this time.

It's all about knowing the regulations. Clearly I understood the regulations better than the Denver custom's agent and that didn't keep my trophies from being confiscated but I did receive them back shortly and for far less than shipping them from Namibia.

BTW, it your Chicken Little type reply that set me off. Making statements about something you have no experience or expertise doesn't help anyone and only fuels fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good stuff Boise. I did not know that was possible. I will have to check into that next time over. This jdollar guy lets his mouth overrun his asss quite often, especially on the ARForums where is the the perpetual muslim apologist and ass kisser.

Thanks for the info.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
All I know is what I have been told by African outfitters. Of course, they have a vested interest in sending you to dip and pack services, as I imagine they get a cutback. Namibia is definitely easier than anywhere else in Africa but
still wonder if times have changed since your last time through.it is definitely a topic to discuss with your outfitterit as it saves a lot of money and time..
And what exactly does Muslim apologist and ass kissing have to do with the topics at hand? Your red neck is showing, JG.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jdollar
All I know is what I have been told by African outfitters. Of course, they have a vested interest in sending you to dip and pack services, as I imagine they get a cutback. Namibia is definitely easier than anywhere else in Africa but
still wonder if times have changed since your last time through.it is definitely a topic to discuss with your outfitterit as it saves a lot of money and time..
And what exactly does Muslim apologist and ass kissing have to do with the topics at hand? Your red neck is showing, JG.

It exclaims that you are a clueless idiot.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Roger that, Red....remember, though, ad hominem attacks are the last refuge of a weak intellect. And if the Latin term is unfamiliar, google is your friend.

Last edited by jdollar; 04/28/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Namibia implemented mandatory dipping since my last hunt. It was not mandatory for importing into the US. It is just one more step in the export process and should keep US hunters from carrying home trophies. We carry them home from Canada all the time, the US doesn't discriminate against trophies from other countries.

One has to deal with both the exporting laws of the hunt country and the US impotation laws. They are not secrets and easily found on websites.

You'll also need to deal with those individuals who will cast uncertainty and doubt on any action outside their comfort zone. Not just here on this site but from those in the country one hunts.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just received shipment home I spent 1200 on shipping with zebra rug, Sable cape and back skin, bush buck, nyala life size skin, Eland, Blesbok, ostrich and Impala all skulls and horns. I spent 1100 at Taxidermy there including $400 for completed zebra rug and ostrich tanned which was $600 total so 500 for the prep, pack and dip. From South Africa I cleared myself when they arrived withy taxi being usda approved and that was free other than time to do it myself.

Scott

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've written this before on this website.

prior to 1999 100% of everything was taken home by hunters including additonal trinkets curious and art work in the crates.

Until about 2002-2004 fewer trophies were taken home, and way more Skull mounts were being shipped. Probably a 30% reduction in shipped trophies

From about 2005 to 2010 minimal trophes were shipped and often times only a single shoulder mount and a couple skull mounts. Looking at the records of trophies and hunters I would say at most 50% of the trophies taken where shipped.

After about 2013 til present more than 50% of the hunters take nothing but photo's home. This number increases every year too. I suspect in time it will stabilize and settle out at 30% or so. Maybe the shipping and dip pack folks are trying to earn the same income based on fewer customers today. The cost of this type of work has not gone up 10 times in the last 15 years, but the price sure has!

The advent of the digital camera with the instant gratification of a good quality photo 100% verified at the instant it was taken replaced much of the trophy expenses. It seems that the certainty of a great frame-able photo is replacing the expense of the mounted trophies. Time will tell, as stated above the 10 animal safari is less expensive including airfare then the 10 animals coming back from the taxidermy including the expenses to get them to the USA either as dried skins, or finished taxidermy.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I've written this before on this website.

prior to 1999 100% of everything was taken home by hunters including additonal trinkets curious and art work in the crates.

Until about 2002-2004 fewer trophies were taken home, and way more Skull mounts were being shipped. Probably a 30% reduction in shipped trophies

From about 2005 to 2010 minimal trophes were shipped and often times only a single shoulder mount and a couple skull mounts. Looking at the records of trophies and hunters I would say at most 50% of the trophies taken where shipped.

After about 2013 til present more than 50% of the hunters take nothing but photo's home. This number increases every year too. I suspect in time it will stabilize and settle out at 30% or so. Maybe the shipping and dip pack folks are trying to earn the same income based on fewer customers today. The cost of this type of work has not gone up 10 times in the last 15 years, but the price sure has!

The advent of the digital camera with the instant gratification of a good quality photo 100% verified at the instant it was taken replaced much of the trophy expenses. It seems that the certainty of a great frame-able photo is replacing the expense of the mounted trophies. Time will tell, as stated above the 10 animal safari is less expensive including airfare then the 10 animals coming back from the taxidermy including the expenses to get them to the USA either as dried skins, or finished taxidermy.

I agree but pics are the same as a mounted trophy. I will always bring mine home as I sit in my room and look at the heads it all comes back. Plus pics don't do a lot of the animals justice

Last edited by BMD; 06/07/17.

Scott

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I do get to go back, I won't make the mistake of having taxidermy done in SA again......I was very disappointed with the work that I had done, and it was supposedly done by one of the "major" taxidermists in the country.......I actually had live worms in one of my skull mounts!! As others have said, I"m running out of room, so only "special" trophies will come back (in dip/pack form) for mounting in the states.....the rest will be just photos. The VAT is cheaper than the taxidermy.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Just paid to have a kudu redo by Rowdy Woodson. After ten years of enjoying what I could pay for at the time, I stepped up to American artistry, for ONE animal. The original was done nearby, by another Texan who admittedly didn't routinely do museum quality work (although he could and would bill accordingly.) My wife's warthog done by Nylstroom Taxidermy in Vaalwater (Gerrit Krueger) is still fantastic, the only shoulder mount done in RSA. Any further trips will be dip & pak only unless Taxidermy Africa in Humansdorp does my skull mounts. The Peacocks do good work, but African staff just have a different idea of how a shoulder mount is supposed to end up looking.

Hope it looks like the left turn one in the middle.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by agazain; 06/08/17.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
[Linked Image]

Mountain reedbuck by B&B Taxidermy (Houston). Gerrit did the warthogs.

[Linked Image]

Bruce Gotcher did my Eastern cape kudu from 2005 (plus an augmentation I did using an internet acquired single horn.)

Last edited by agazain; 06/08/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had a buffalo, sable, nyala, and impala done by Trophy Solutions in SA. When the 4 sets of horns got here it looked like the had been laying by a waterhole for two years. Took a lot of paint and bondo to make them look right. Cost was about $3000.00 SHIP AND DIP. $25,000 worth of animals in all and they did their dead level best to ruin them. The sable had a gold translusence to them they were beautiful, not any more.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pictures for me and maybe a video.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a great trip to Zambia, shot a buff and a croc, took some great pics and was done. Just see no point in spending thousands to ship and then thousands to mount. I hunt africa for the experience and adventure. That will last far longer, and mean much more, than something on a wall.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
244 members (1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 38 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.