Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Negative...Cali bighorns. One year I may actually draw it.

Give me a shout if you get drawn. I'm in Mtn. Home.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will do...but to be honest, I know right where they are in the unit I put in for, and in other units as well.

I've hunted chukar in the Bruneau desert since I was in college at the U of I and friends would take me down there....and e would always see them. Plus a few friends who have drawn one of the 46 tags have shown me exactly where to go...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
15 or 20 years ago, CA bighorn was a fairly easy draw and they had lots of tags. Some units had 1 in 2 or 3 odds. Then a disease wiped out a bunch of them. They dropped the Owyhee county tags from about 60 to 15 and they've never increased them.

I've never figured out if there's a real difference between the CA and Rocky Mtn versions. I suspect the only difference is which side of the Snake River they live on. I've searched for CA bighorns online and found nothing. They call it a subspecies of the Rocky Mtn but I can't find any difference other than location.

From everything I have been able to gather, they're just a desert variety of Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep. While it can get pretty damn cold in the high desert country, I think Bergmann's rule comes into play...since Cali bighorns are a touch bit smaller than the true Rocky Mountain bighorns that I have been around.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm just starting to research a possible ID DIY hunt for this year since it looks like I'll have a decent amount of time to hunt and move about this fall. Any OTC deer/elk tags I should start researching for ID in particular? I'm a nonresident and obviously would need to hunt public land- although if I had to pay a trespass fee (if that is such a thing in ID)- I may be willing to do that, too.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I'm just starting to research a possible ID DIY hunt for this year since it looks like I'll have a decent amount of time to hunt and move about this fall. Any OTC deer/elk tags I should start researching for ID in particular? I'm a nonresident and obviously would need to hunt public land- although if I had to pay a trespass fee (if that is such a thing in ID)- I may be willing to do that, too.

Idaho has lots of OTC deer tags, both mulies and whitetails. In general, the whitetails are in the north half of the state and mulies in the south half. There's LOTS of overlap, though, and you can hunt both in some units. The majority of the OTC elk tags are in the north half. Deer and elk seasons overlap in most units so you can hunt both.

There's so much public land in Idaho that very few pay any trespass fees. On the map below, everything that's dark green, yellow, or dark blue is public land.

This might be of interest: If you buy a non-res deer tag, you can use it on a bear, wolf, or cougar should you get the chance.

trespass laws: We have lots of private range and forest land that can't be told from public land. As a result, ID has a unique trespass law. If land is not cultivated, irrigated, or posted, it's open to hunting without getting permission.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Rock chuck,

Looks like a fair amount of country to cover!!! My only concern is I'm hunting moose in Newfoundland in October, either the 12th-19th, or the 20th-26th. I don't know which week to pick to open more opportunities for my road trip out West. I'd like to pick up a deer and an elk tag if possible for whatever I run across. I can hunt white tails here, but I'd love to hunt mulies again this year. Whichever one was found closer to elk would probably work better for me, though...

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will do...but to be honest, I know right where they are in the unit I put in for, and in other units as well.

I've hunted chukar in the Bruneau desert since I was in college at the U of I and friends would take me down there....and e would always see them. Plus a few friends who have drawn one of the 46 tags have shown me exactly where to go...
I bet that spot looks something a whole lot like this wink :
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's some rough country out there. Owyhee County actually has quite a bit of water but it's all at the bottoms of those canyons. Up on top, in the desert, it's mighty dry most of the year.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm in for moose. Hoping for a miracle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

[Linked Image]

Yep, that's one of the spots...

I don't put in for the eastern Owyhee units, but have a good friend with a HUGE ranch on the south Fork of the Owyhee, who has them on his property too...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

[Linked Image]

Yep, that's one of the spots...

I don't put in for the eastern Owyhee units, but have a good friend with a HUGE ranch on the south Fork of the Owyhee, who has them on his property too...
That wouldn't suck! I don't even know which unit I took that in, just followed BOY around to help him with his sheep tag. It was a FUN hunt. Good luck on the draw.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He shot his in unit 46...

AWESOME country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very awesome country! Empty and big. Amazing how that canyon "sneaks up" on you.

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone know how the whitetails did up north? Thinking about putting in for extra doe tags for me and daughters. Have hunted 8a and 10a with some success. Also thinking about 15 or 16 but only driven by.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I have seen and heard is the low country wt's and the wt's with easy access to lower elevations are in pretty good shape, but the wt's that winter in higher elevation ranges on USFS, BLM, and State ground got hit. My neighbor found 9 wt carcasses within a half mile of his cabin.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
167 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.