Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking to drop down to a 20ga for turkey hunting for several reasons. Lots of options out there. Just wondering what some of you might be using - gun, optics, choke, ammo? I'm leaning towards a semi-auto, likely the Win SX3 w/cantilever mount.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just picked up a Stoeger M3020 Compact. It's a sweet little turkey gun if I say so myself. My son is going to give it a whirl in a few weeks on a WI tom if we're lucky enough.

I like it enough that I may set one up for myself.

His is a 26" barrel, which is fine because he's going to use it for pheasants and grouse too.

I use my 870 Express 20ga almost exclusively now. Every once in a while I'll break out the Benelli M2 12ga.

Last edited by tzone; 04/26/17.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Stoeger M3020 caught my eye for a minute. Kinda stepped away from it as it's not drilled and tapped for a scope mount. However according to the manual it came be. Not sure what the difference is in the receiver make-up between the M3020 and say a Rem 11-87 is, but I do know that it's not recommended to drill and tap the 11-87. Kinda wondered what makes one doable, and the other not so.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not sure. It's pretty much Benelli M1 or Super90, with a bit less fine fit. It's a good, don't get me wrong, but it's not Benelli. Which is why you pay less than 1/2. I paid $400 for this one.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Looking to drop down to a 20ga for turkey hunting for several reasons. Lots of options out there. Just wondering what some of you might be using - gun, optics, choke, ammo? I'm leaning towards a semi-auto, likely the Win SX3 w/cantilever mount.

This topic has been on my mind a lot lately too. And none of us are getting any younger as time goes by, are we??..........

With the recent advances in turkey ammunition, the 20 GA turkey gun become more and more practical. And useful in almost all shooting situations.

So here is what I am considering along these lines:

Gun- I already have an 870 Express Magnum w/ 26" barrel. Parkerized barrel, receiver and hefty recoil pad. It will go to the grand kids one day.

Ammo: Federal 3" Heavy Weight #7 shot

Choke: Trulock turkey choke made specifically for the FED HW #7s

Scope: Put on a B Square saddle mount plus a low power scope, probably Leupold. Nothing fancy needed, or wanted.

Note: The bare gun weighs a scant six pounds. Should come in right around 7#s or so. Beats the heck out of my 12 GA 3 1/2" Benelli!

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 04/27/17.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a pair of 20's, an 11-87 and a 870, both youth models. The 870 is scoped, the 11-87 did have a red dot on it, but I took it off so I could use fiber optic sights. I've killed turkey with both, and see nothing wrong with using a 20. I took a bird with the 11-87 earlier this season. But, if I absolutely had to kill a turkey or else, I'd take my old Winchester 1300 in 3 inch 12 guage. It will outdo the 20's.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

870 youth
Colonial Arms .570 choke
Federal Heavyweight #7's
140-150 - 10" 235 - 250 16" circle @ 42yds
Williams Slugger Ghost Ring Fiber Optic sights

Solid 50yd gun

[Linked Image]

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used a Winchester 1300 pump for quite a few years then decided to go to a semi. I picked up an 11-87 turkey gun with tru-glow sights around 2004. It worked well till I decided I'd like to stick a red dot sight on it. I found out Remington doesn't advise drilling and tapping the receiver ( to thin)and I don't like the looks of the saddle mount. Last year I decided on a 20ga. Looked at a bunch and decided on a Benelli M2. Couldn't be happier, it weighs next to nothing and patterns great with a Sumtoy choke. They don't come drilled and tapped but that's my next adventure, lot of guys use the Burris fastfire sight, that's what will probably sitting on mine next year.

Good luck with your decision.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In semi auto 20's, I like the M2. The 3020 and Winchester are appealing too. Beretta has the A400 Lite as well. I'm having TarJac dip us 10 of those in Bottomland as soon as they ship.

I'm a red dot guy. I'm shooting an 870 Express youth I had drilled and tapped. Dipped it too. I shoot TSS and have shot the Federal HW7's in the past. Apex will have commercial TSS readily available soon. I like Indian Creek, Carlson, Jebs and Trulock. My 870 now wears a Precision Hunter .582", but the Indian Creek was in the barrel a couple weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 04/27/17.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll be coming back to this thread in the future, thanks for all the good info/hints on chokes, dipping, etc.

Now, what is it with the 20g 870 Express youth models? I won one at a Friends of the NRA dinner a few years back and thought about selling it/trading it off as I own a nice 12g 870. Older bro told me to rethink that idea, he had put a youth buttstock on his 12 g 870 and it fit him better. So I kept it and tried it out and I now end up grabbing it over the 12 g most of the season for quail and pheasant.

You guys must feel the same way? Is there something "special" about it?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

For me the handiness of the short youth 870 appeals to me while moving through the woods. The short LOP really shines when I get set up on a bird and he comes in where he's not supposed to, like they always do. It gives me the ability to turn and move better without getting all bound up with a longer LOP.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I book-marked this thread as well.

I've got several seasons ahead of me yet, or at least I hope, but all the birds I've ever killed in my life could've been taken with a 20ga and I'll take one on occasion.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on tungsten shot for turkey out of a 20g? One of the gun writers recommended it to me in another thread.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Snootie
They don't come drilled and tapped but that's my next adventure, lot of guys use the Burris fastfire sight, that's what will probably sitting on mine next year.

It won't be unless they come up with a mount for Benelli 20ga.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Been using NEF single shot 20 ga. for about as many years Federal Flite Control has been out. Flite Control Heavyweight #7 ( tungsten ) . Factory Mossberg full choke. No problem whatsoever at toms at 40 yds. Seen one flop dead at 54 paces.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I shoot TSS and have shot the Federal HW7's in the past.

TSS #8s or #9s?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I shoot TSS and have shot the Federal HW7's in the past.

TSS #8s or #9s?

Mainly 9's, but I've shot a few 8.5x9 duplex loads as well.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I book-marked this thread as well.

I've got several seasons ahead of me yet, or at least I hope, but all the birds I've ever killed in my life could've been taken with a 20ga and I'll take one on occasion.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on tungsten shot for turkey out of a 20g? One of the gun writers recommended it to me in another thread.

I'll tell ya what. I carry the 12 sometimes just because I have it. But the 20 with the right patterning choke is a hammer. I carry the 870 20 far more. I shot one by accident at 49 yards. I didn't think it was that far away. My BIL checked it with his range finder after he came over to see what the commotion was about. But it was as dead as anything else.

I LOVE to play the game with them, so I'd much rather shoot them at 20 than 40.

I recently picked up a Stoger 3020 Compact for my son. It's the lightest shotgun in the safe. I handled it a bit more yesterday and I really like it. I may get one for myself.

Last edited by tzone; 04/28/17.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Now, what is it with the 20g 870 Express youth models?

You guys must feel the same way? Is there something "special" about it?

Geno

Youth model to get the 21" barrel. You will get more velocity out of the 26" barrels, but the performance or pattern is 6 to 1 or half a dozen to the other. It's not worth the extra length or weight when carrying the gun in the woods. My .02!

My current gun started life as a Remington 870 Youth 20ga. I stripped the gun completely down, took the receiver to a smith to drill/tap/attach rail, polished/deep cleaned barrel, replaced forearm with a synthetic from Remington, installed an adjustable Knoxx stock with a Limbsaver, and a Burris FFII sits on top with a guard built by a member from another forum. I sanded it down, primed, and painted it with multiple stencils and lots of time. I hand load 1 5/8oz of TSS #9.5s and run it thru a Remington Super Full "lead only" choke. It will flat stomp turkeys. Killed a slam with it last year. I've lost count on the number of birds taken by this gun.

Going to the 20ga was simple for me. I love to run and gun, and if you've never chased a Rio they take "run" to a whole new level. Having a smaller, lighter, more compact gun has been a god send. I also hunt with a lot of newbies and kids. I wanted something I could adjust the stock on to fit them as well as not bruise on the other end when they shot. This gun does that in spades. I've currently built 11 guns just like this one for family in friends. I'm in process of building two more, but Knoxx stopped making the stocks so I'm using Remington's SureShot stock. When the kids get old enough they will use this gun, and I'll carry the SureShot.

I think it will be super cool for both my kids to kill a slam with it as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 20ga weighs just under 6 pounds as pictured unloaded. Due to the performance of TSS, I've decided to start dabbling in the 28ga game. I want to kill a slam with my 28ga. It has a fixed modified barrel that I don't really want to sent off to get tapped for a choke, so I'll have to get the birds to around 30 yards. 40 is about the limit of this gun. The good news is the frame is the same as the 20ga, so all the 20ga parts fit the 28ga.

[Linked Image]

28ga with FFIII on top weights just under 5 pounds as pictured.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sand Man,

How does eye line up with your Shur Shot stock and optics? My 11-87 12ga, sports a cantilever smooth-bore, Rem Choke barrel, and in order to proper eye alignment I had to add an AcuRiser cheek piece to the stock. Just wondering if the Shur Shot is any different from the factory stock in drop dimensions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.