Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had it for years. A dumb blonde in the office asked me why I just didn't wear ear plugs.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
A simple OTC therapy that may help some is to take Lipo-Flavinoid twice daily. I use it and it minimizes the ringing.

Lipo-Flavinoid helps me a lot, also. Studies showed that after 60 days on it, 1/3 of the people had considerable relief, (like me), 1/3 had slight relief, and 1/3 had no relief.

That has been the experience with my friends. It helped some, and others not at all.

No one has mentioned Aspirin. Even baby aspirin. Tinnitus is a common side-effect of taking aspirin, for many people. I quit the daily baby aspirin routine my Dr had put me on, and it definitely helped lower the noise in my ears.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
[quote=3584ELK]
No one has mentioned Aspirin. Even baby aspirin. Tinnitus is a common side-effect of taking aspirin, for many people. I quit the daily baby aspirin routine my Dr had put me on, and it definitely helped lower the noise in my ears.

I'll have to check this out. I have had ringing in my ears for the past 8-9 years. Always bothersome and some days it drives me nuts. I have always worn ear protection while shooting (not while hunting) and this coincides with my starting to take a daily dose of aspirin.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back in the day, I'm 79 years old, we didn't know any better. Some like myself used cotton balls which helped some but in actuality were totally useless. I shot .22s at age 11 to learn to shoot and did my first deer hunt on Labor Day weekend that same year. (1949) Hearing protection? Never heard of it, no pun intended.
When older cotton balls at the range but it was not until 1974 that I got a pair of muffs as a birthday present from my kids. I'd been shooting a Remington 660 .308 with 20" barrel and stiff loads using H335. The muzzle blast was so bad that I was flinching badly and the gun kicked like a very PO'ed mule. I was surprised as hell that I didn't miss my deer that year due to the flinch.
Well I tried the muffs and wow, where did the kick go? Been using them ever since.
These days I use a set that I can turn on or off at the range plus plugs. I use them on my hunts as well as they act like hearing aids, not to mention they do a great job keeping my ears warm. cool
That's the good news. The bad is it's gone into Meniers disease (vertigo) and I'm almost totally deaf in my right ear,lost 90 percent in the high frequency range in both and only have maybe 50 percent left in the left ear.
Not all damage was from shooting though. Worked in an industry where I used an air hammer similar to those used in breaking up concrete and streets. Loud as hell and no protection. OSHA hadn't struck there yet. Probably didn't even exit in 1966. Loud live rock concerts probably didn't help matter either.
Not being able to hear ain't fun. I'm doing the best I can to keep what little I have left.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have significant ringing myself. Also have hearing loss and use hearing aids (7000.00 worth) that have a setting to control tinnitus but doesn't work for me. I am a tinsnith and a gas fitter and never wore hearing aids during work in the early days-nobody did. While Shooting ,we used cotton (on occassion) . I have no complaints though,I chose everything that caused the hearing loss...Tony

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have ringing in my left ear and always blamed our drummer's crash cymbal that was next to me. About the time I wised up and started wearing a plug in that ear, we all but quit gigging.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought some Ear Ringing Oil a while back.It didn't help,so I quit using it.For the last two days I mistakenly put it in my eyes thinking it was eye drops I had in a similar bottle.Burned like hell,didn't help my eyes either,threw it in the trash now.

Last edited by baldhunter; 04/25/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clinical studies have shown the tobacco, alcohol,and caffeine can worsen the intensity of the tinnitus on the day of consumption. I love cigars and coffee, and on the days when I have a wee bit too much the tinnitus worsens.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My version sounds like a field full of crickets. Fortunately, I find that sound quite pleasing.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
My version sounds like a field full of crickets. Fortunately, I find that sound quite pleasing.
That's one way to beat it! Enjoy it!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Since my teens I've worn something like these around my neck while hunting. Takes just a few seconds to put in your ears and well worth it

[Linked Image]

I have rarely shot without protection.

Mostly all plugs. Some custom molded.

Then I got tinnintus. Asked the doc WTF... he said you would have had to use muffs the whole time. Why? Because the "sound" also hits your face and transfers around the bones of the ear according to him.... so with plugs only and shooting you are eventually doomed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
huh ? What did you say ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
if i remember correctly, tinnitus related to aspirin is usually associated with higher doses and advancing age. decreasing the dose of aspirin apparently diminishes or eliminates the tinnitus. can't do much about the calendar

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Since my teens I've worn something like these around my neck while hunting. Takes just a few seconds to put in your ears and well worth it

[Linked Image]

I have rarely shot without protection.

Mostly all plugs. Some custom molded.

Then I got tinnintus. Asked the doc WTF... he said you would have had to use muffs the whole time. Why? Because the "sound" also hits your face and transfers around the bones of the ear according to him.... so with plugs only and shooting you are eventually doomed.

Good to know!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Picked up Electronic Shooters Protection Analog model last year.

Enhancement function works well and never hunt without them.

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hearing in my left ear is almost gone and my right one is not good... I have been wearing Peltor Tac 7 electronic ear muffs (they no longer make that model) to help for about 16 years but NOTHING helps when you shoot a lot. Your bones around your ear transmit a certain amount of the concussion and that can still damage your hearing.

On the advice of several friends I went to Costco and got hearing aids. They had the best prices around and the latest in technology. I can control them completely with my iPhone and love them but I take them out and use the Tac 7 muffs for shooting.

I have absolutely NO affiliation with Costco or ReSound Hearing Aids other than being a very satisfied customer. They cost me $2600 total for both of them and they come with a 3 year no cost no deductible or copay warranty and unlimited free support.

Yes... We NEED suppressors so our young shooters don't end up nearly deaf like us old farts... LOL

If you want to answer me please type as loudly as possible so I can hear you... wink

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a moderate case in my right ear. Varies in intensity and only rarely gets annoying. I was an early adopter of muffs, but never wore anything while hunting until last year when I started plugging up for doves.

I suspect that most of my hearing issues, including some voice-frequency loss, is due to forty years spent in telephone central offices with high levels of mechanical noise from switches, relays, high-speed cooling fans, big-ass air handlers, and alarms. The only place we were required to wear protection was in the auxiliary generator room when the engine(s) or turbines were running.

When we were installing a network of switches for GSA in the 90's the gummint reps made us perform all kinds of tests to demonstrate compliance with the regs, including light levels in work areas. They never showed any interest in noise levels though. Probably knew it wouldn't look good.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 1minute

I so envy you. Super-high tuning forks here due to infections as an infant and kid. Such a drain they are.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my muzzle braked rifle without ear protection while hunting last year. Twice, bang bang.
I have ringing in my ears laying in bed at night, or when it's quiet in the house.
Only 51 years old.
It sucks.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its in my left ear tonight.

I suppose its a lifetime around heavy machinery.

Some things I hear really well, others not so much. I suppose it is bad for 34.

I am MAGA.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
367 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.