-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking at doing a "cheap as possible" Alaska hunt. Either solo or with one other guy for Sitka deer. I was considering a combined deer hunt/fishing trip to POW Island. My thought was to drive to western BC (Price Rupert) and catch a ferry to Ketchikan>> Hollis. That way I could have my truck and take all the gear I'll need or want. I plan to bring a freezer to haul the meat back. I plan for a stop at GNP and Jasper. Considering fall 2018.

Google says that Denver to Prince Rupert, BC is 34 hours. I think the drive would be a great adventure and I'd plan to camp out in a quick tent until I get to POW, then pitch a bigger all-weather tent with stove. I've a got a relative in Craig that can probably can put me onto some decent areas and hook me up with me a skiff.

Figuring about 12 days gone.

Planning $500 for gas, $870 for licenses (2 deer tags + fishing), $900 for ferries. I'll bring some food with me in the coolers/freezer. Another $1,000 for miscellaneous expenses.

Total budget about $3,300

Is there a better way to do this? It looked like getting vehicle ferried from Bellingham was a lot more expensive.

TIA

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 04/28/17.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm going to ASSuME you're thinking sometime in mid to late August.

Personally, I think you're short changing yourself on time. 2 day drive to Rince Pubert. 1.5 day to Hollis - you have to synchronize two different ferry rides. So, 3.5 days x 2 for the roundtrip travel only and you've eaten up 7 of your 12 days.

5 days left for fishing and hunting? And I don't know how much time your allotting for GNP and Jasper.

IMHO - you want to spend AT LEAST 7 days on POW for a fish/hunt combo.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I Was thinking September. The Ferry from Prince rupert runs through September.

I think your are correct, though. I'll lose a full day to ferries. The Prince Rupert>Ketchikan ferry is overnight but the Ketchickan>Hollis ferry doesn't run until afternoon.

I'll have to adjust my schedule.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some seriously great mileage if your truck will do that on 500 bucks! Did you forget the drive home?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just fly and enjoy the time

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bad news coming out of Kodiak on the deer population... very few left standing after the winter. Brutal winterkill this spring.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, watching the weather there lately, quite a bit of snow and cold they had not seen for 1/2 decade or more.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
IMO, fishing and hunting on the same trip isn't advisable if you are serious about either one. Sept the alpine is burning off, but some good bucks are still up there. Long hikes and mountaintop camping are keys to success. Fishing will be good in streams, but ocean fishing will require a bigger boat than a skiff.

Nov for bucks, Aug for fish, IMO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin
IMO, fishing and hunting on the same trip isn't advisable if you are serious about either one. Sept the alpine is burning off, but some good bucks are still up there. Long hikes and mountaintop camping are keys to success. Fishing will be good in streams, but ocean fishing will require a bigger boat than a skiff.

Nov for bucks, Aug for fish, IMO.

But he has three days! wink

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cheapest way to hunt POW in Sept:

Save 25k airmiles on AK Air. (you get that many for signing up for their credit card, and you get a companion fare yearly)

Fly to Ktown on miles or use companion fare with buddy and split cost. Bring all your crap with you including overnight camping gear. You will pay a little bit of overage luggage costs.

Take ferry to Hollis and rent rig for week with Hollis Adventure Rentals. (not affiliated in any way) http://www.harentals.com/

Stop for night at Harris River Campground.

Next day, swing by AC and Blackbear for food, licenses and tags.

Head to mountain you pre-scouted via google earth. Hike it, camp or a few days, kill a buck or two.

Come back to Klawock and get a night at the Trophy Inn. Process meat, box in fishbox from AC and freeze in chest freezer. http://www.trophyinn.com/index2.html#rates

Go out hunting next day for another overnight or two on google earth scouted mountain. All alpines on POW have bucks. Harder the hike, the better your odds. Camping helps your odds increase dramatically.

Get another night at Trophy inn, clean up, process/freeze meat.

Go home with meat in fish boxes.

Now, you might have to tweak hunt days due to weather etc. You might just get 2 huntable days, you never know. But if your tough, it's doable.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great tips . Going to add some days and do it right.. I'd love to drive it. I've never been to Jasper/Banff and want a couple of days just there. I've got some time to plan, so I appreciate all the input.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You're going to want to get to Rupert a day ahead, I drove from Sheridan to Rupert and that was 3 days. Sure, you could do it shorter, but why?

Another day f&cking with the ferry to KTN, another f*cking around getting your shet and getting to POW.

So, following that, you should have maybe a solid 2 days of hunting/fishing out of your 12 day plan.

Good luck with that

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

TAG

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
TAG

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tag for me too. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
KC - You hunted Pow didn't you? I might have to buy you cup of coffee and pick your brain.

[Linked Image]
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
KC - You hunted Pow didn't you? I might have to buy you cup of coffee and pick your brain.

No, I've never been to POW. We hunted Sitka deer on Kodiak Island. But I would like to hunt on Prince of Wales Island some day.

I'll take that cup of coffee anyway.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Driving is over rated unless you've a month and change for a trip. Takes too long, costs too much. Calvin gave you excellent advice, figure out what is most important to you (fish or blacktails) and schedule accordingly.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Tag

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.