Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Been a pretty good last month on the outer coast of the west side of Prince of Wales. Our winter season ends at the end of April and with Little League today and church tomorrow, I'm done. I still have 70 guide days and another 40ish troll days this year, but it always feels good to finish a season. Here are some pictures I snapped in my I-Phone while out and about. Pretty cool lifestyle to get out there solo and hunt down those king salmon on the ocean while dodging weather and the fleet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
We chase king salmon in this season. They were feeding heavily on krill, needlefish, herring, and squid. Price was up there, over $9 a pound this season. Fish averaged about 10.5lbs each.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Shared the drag with some pretty big boat. Mine is on the smaller side for fishing the open ocean in the winter at 40ft. It can be a real battle depending on what boats are out there as everybody is trying to get as many fish as possible in the most civil way possible. Even the most subtle changes in gear, speed, location or direction can mean more fish in the boat. It's a business where details matter if you want to be successful and you really have to pay attention to what's going on around you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats on the season and thanks for the pics! Very cool...

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Can't wait to go out next week and catch one to eat... All I do is kill fish but you'd be surprised how little of it ends up in my freezer.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I miss my days in Kodiak sportfishing. I know if I was blindfolded and you handed me a fish to fillet, I could tell it was a blackmouth just by that greasy feel. We also ran 50 fathoms of subsistence net for reds, that was a hoot.

Remember well that beautiful bronzy color when you got that first look at a king on the line. Most of ours ran 12 to 16 lbs, my brother caught a beauty 42 lbs on a trip we took with a charter guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice pics, Calvin; nothing beats time on the water, and bringing in some reward just sweetens it.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool pix

Tks for sharing

Funny how the camera comes out more on bluebird days

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Cool pix

Tks for sharing

Haha, no joke. Camera never comes out when I'm getting thrashed out there. That's the less glamorous part of the job. Rolling around for 15 hours a day, and then laying in the anchorage all night hoping you don't drag anchor is just part of it though. My boat is a very good sea boat though, but when those gusts hit you hard and you lean over pretty good it makes you think about life a little.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin
Cool pix

Tks for sharing

Haha, no joke. Camera never comes out when I'm getting thrashed out there. That's the less glamorous part of the job. Rolling around for 15 hours a day, and then laying in the anchorage all night hoping you don't drag anchor is just part of it though. My boat is a very good sea boat though, but when those gusts hit you hard and you lean over pretty good it makes you think about life a little.

Spent more than a few nights on anchor watch with the rigging singing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very cool. Some great pics. Thanks for taking the time!
Do you keep track of your wild vs hatchery ratio? Looks like at least a couple missing adipose in that box pic. We were running about 5:1 (wild to hatchery) out of Homer this winter.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 04/30/17. Reason: Beer
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
You should try a spread of Tofino Turds, with that sort of squid in the water...

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Very cool. Some great pics. Thanks for taking the time!
Do you keep track of your wild vs hatchery ratio? Looks like at least a couple missing adipose in that box pic. We were running about 5:1 (wild to hatchery) out of Homer this winter.

It changes quickly. One bite I was on had a high hatchery/white component. They were paying a bit more for whites, so that was nice. Another bite had just 1 clip fin out of 34 I brought in.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Vek
You should try a spread of Tofino Turds, with that sort of squid in the water...

I have... They were eating a real mix. Herring, krill, squid, and candlefish. I caught pretty well on all my standard hoochies I use. As usual, being over the fish was the key and when the bite was over, it was like there wasn't a king in the ocean.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not every hatchery king gets clipped up here, only the ones with coded wire tags. I think about 10% get the CWT if I remember correctly.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
They don't estimate a big AK hatchery component for the winter fishery. The gal comes down and scans all the clips I bring in. (usually) I swore I had local fish last year, and they all were from WA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Not every hatchery king gets clipped up here, only the ones with coded wire tags. I think about 10% get the CWT if I remember correctly.

Why are they still clipping adipose fins when there is a ton of evidence it compromises the fish?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Why are they still clipping adipose fins when there is a ton of evidence it compromises the fish?

I don't know the answer to that one. It probably compromises the fish less than clipping other fins and they need to be identified somehow.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool pix

Tks for sharing

We drug anchor once in a big storm around Thanksgiving... out of a cove on Montague... We never thought... all were asleep, and it started to get really rougher than it should... talk about the Lord protecting his one... wind and current were correct and we shot right out of the protected cove, middle of the bay out into the "ocean". Lets just say land was no where near when we woke up and turned on the lights.... and then on the way back in, fuel ran out, lucky it was friend of a friend... he knew what happened and crawled down to switch tanks...

It didn't dawn on my until later how damn lucky we really were... and then to miss an almost sub surface 40ish foot power pole floating... or just a log I dunno... it was not small... on the way in

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

They were paying a bit more for whites . . .

Worked at the local salmon bake for a few summers in high school starting the alder cooking fire, fish prep and fish cooking.

Just try offering DSMFers a piece of white king. 90-95% refused and insisted we were trying to trick with some other type of fish. And the dumb-ass questions you'd over-and-over again every night . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.