Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Ok- so I've recently found out I might have a lot of spare time this fall, and I'd like to do a DIY hunt in the West. I know it's late to start planning and I've limited my options now, but I just found out I would have the time for this. I'm pretty much open all fall except for a moose hunt I already have planned in Newfoundland, that hunt is tentatively scheduled for October 12-19th, but my outfitter told me that I can push that back a week if need be. I can either drive or fly out West, I figured I would find out the when/where first and then go into those details. I've never hunted antelope, so I'm thinking that might be a good bet for me, but as always I am always open to some mule deer, elk, or whitetail hunting. Somewhere I could get tags for multiple species found in the same general area would be a bonus to me. I would obviously be looking for OTC tags, leftover tags, or a landowner tag (staying reasonable in price, too). Can you guys tell me what is out there? I thought maybe ID for elk and/or deer- but I also thought WY for antelope and maybe deer would be another good option for me.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking pushing the moose hunt back a week would give me more opportunities, but maybe you folks could tell me differently?

Heal quickly and don't scar.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WY for deer/pronghorn might be tough to do this year as the draws are over and I bet the leftover list is short and goes fast. ID for deer and elk would be easy enough, just be sure to buy your tags before the quotas are reached. Lots of places there to do both. The downside is that the OTC elk opener is during your moose hunt, but in some areas going at the end of the season might be a better bet anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, the deadline for deer and antelope applications is May 31st now - used to be the end of March so you could still put in for both deer and antelope this year.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 05/02/17.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Actually, the deadline for deer and antelope applications is May 31st now - used to the end of March so you could still put in for both deer and antelope this year.
Didn't realize that. Thanks for providing the correct information.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Private land deer tags are OTC in New Mexico, but you are limited to private land where you have written permission to hunt. Landowner elk tags are also OTC or on the net, but you have to have a landowner authorization in hand to buy one. These are typically sold, usually for quite a tidy sum. Some are ranch only while others may be unit wide. If you look at the classifieds in the Albuquerque Journal, starting about the first of September, you will see landowner authorizations for elk offered for sale. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
You might look into the Colorado 3rd combined season for elk, starts November 4, there might be some cow tags as well as bull tags available in the OTC units. You missed the deer draw but might be able to pick up a leftover or landowner tag.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has OTC elk and deer tags. Most of the OTC elk hunts are in the north while most of the southern units are draw. The application period for draw hunts started yesterday and go through the 1st week of June. There are periods when elk and deer seasons overlap so you can hunt both. In general, whitetails are found in the north half of the state and mulies in the southern half. However, there's lots of overlap and many units where you can hunt both.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hmmm...I didn't know I had time for deer and antelope in WY- I think I will call them tomorrow and get some info on where I can get tags on areas for both or at least close to each other. CO and ID are still not out, but I think the antelope (my main objective since I've never hunted them) and deer would be a good beginning for a DIY western hunt for me. Thanks for all the help, guys, keep it coming!

Heal quickly and don't scar.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,040 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.