Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My son wants to get into photography and was pointed to this as a good starter camera. Looking for opinions from those with more knowledge than I have on cameras.

Thanks in advance.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
GB1

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You must mean L840?

Cheap camera with tiny sensor and ridiculously long zoom range. No viewfinder.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A trip to the photography section of a local library, and creative use of the camera on his phone, will do him better in the long run than a new camera. If he reads up, sticks with it, and out grows the limitations of the camera phone, by then he'll know what he needs in terms of equipment.

That said, for a beginner a used DSLR and a good 50mm lens is an inexpensive entry point and far more capable than the Nikon L840, or any similar point and shoot.

Check out www.keh.com. Good used prices, good warranty, good service.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Nikon because my kids broke my Canon and I needed a camera before they could get a replacement. After 3 Canons and 1 Nikon, I would get a Canin, I have never been as happy with the Nikon.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pal - yep L840 - fat fingered it

I wondered about the benefit of this camera over the one in his Iphone 5. I know that takes some good pix.

Thanks for the info guys.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a re conditioned L840 on Amazon awhile back for it's super zoom qualities. I walk out in the hills almost every morning, and my little pocket camera just didn't get the Bull Elk shots and the snow on the mtns etc. I have a DSLR and all the stuff, but didn't want to carry it because of it's bulk. This camera I could slip under my coat or in a large pocket. But, with no view finder coupled with my photo gray glasses, I couldn't see anything in the bright sun. A real pain when you need to get a long shot on a Sharptail Grouse lek etc. Also one morning I left town and it was just 13 below zero, but by the time I got to where I had a beautiful view of the sunrise on the mountains, it was -17 degrees. Well, the camera took one picture and then wouldn't work. It froze up. It did flash the message that "the batteries are flat" grin
It does take good pictures, and it does what I want, but without a view finder it is very hard to hold and view with the lens extended to 38X .
So, if I go to buy another super zoom type of camera, I will look for one with a view finder. Also, after many shots, I still push the replay button with my thumb almost every time I get ready to take a pic. Needless to say, that slows things down.

I got the re-furbished one for just over $100.00, and it is probably worth it.

I will see if I can get photo bucket to work and post some pics taken with it.

Ken

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Are there any compact cameras with a viewfinder in the $500.00 range that take great photos? I don't need a superzoom, but do need something to fit in a pocket for hunting trips. My Fuji XT10 with zoom lens is just too cumbersome for such use.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lotech
Are there any compact cameras with a viewfinder in the $500.00 range that take great photos?...

A used or refurbished Sony RX100 III would do it.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m3

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest one go to a designated camera store if at all possible and make a hands on inspection/selection. Such stores are becoming extremely rare though. In many instances one can actually step out the door and take a few shots with any used equipment they might have on the shelves and get a look at them on a computer screen. There are many excellent used buys to be had.

My personal inclination is to be equipped with a viewfinder. Composing images on a display is fine in still life settings, but isn't for crap out in bright sunlight.

I'd for sure not go too high end on a starter unit for ones kid, until there's evidence of some passion for the craft. Kids will at times express an interest that lasts less than a month.

Good luck,

1Minute
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the additional input. He's done research and convinced me it's a camera that'll do what he wants for now. He's been taking pix with is cell but wants the additional zoom without getting too complicated or spending too much. Picked up a certified refurb for a good price and in a package with the basics to get started. I'll post some pix as he learns it.

Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good deal! We need more pics here. Anything that grows, walks, crawls, flies, or digs in the earth. If one gets near a bookstore or online, there are some excellent tutorial type books available for many makes and models. Much better discussions and examples of the many features one finds on the modern digitals. Much of the light room magic associated with the film world is not standard stuff on the digitals.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,076
Posts18,463,825
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.