24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not wishing ill on Ginsberg and Roberts... but hurry up and retire!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SAF is a great organization and they do most of the heavy lifting for Second Amendment rights in the courts. I think we need another conservative on the court before it's safe to confront magazine and semi-auto bans in SCOTUS.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I nominate Calhoun for Justice of the Supreme Court.

In passing, firearm protection under 2A requires that those passing laws to restrict them meet at least intermediate scrutiny. This carries the requirement that the entity passing the law must show more than a casual reason why the law is needed. Since nothing demonstrably gawdawful happens when you add magazine capacity for that 11th round, I think our cause is just when we oppose "high capacity" magazine bans.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by denton
I nominate Calhoun for Justice of the Supreme Court.

In passing, firearm protection under 2A requires that those passing laws to restrict them meet at least intermediate scrutiny. This carries the requirement that the entity passing the law must show more than a casual reason why the law is needed. Since nothing demonstrably gawdawful happens when you add magazine capacity for that 11th round, I think our cause is just when we oppose "high capacity" magazine bans.

I nominate Denton!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure where Trump stands on magazine size, but even some "pro-gun" intelligentsia are against us. I've heard multiple pro-2A pundits say that Eugene Volokh should be considered for the Supreme Court, but he's on record as saying repeatedly that magazine size can be restricted since allowing no more than 10 rounds will make very little difference in self defense situations.

Of course there's nothing magical about 10. They've shown that once they get 10, they'll move in within a couple of years to push for 7. Etc, etc.

By the way, I'm not masochistic enough to want to go through a Supreme Court nomination process. Appreciate the intent, but it would cut into my fishing time waaaay too much.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I read Volokh, and greatly respect his opinions. But I think he has the argument backwards: The state has the burden of showing that restricting magazine size makes a difference in public safety.

Awww, come on Calhoun. Your country needs you!

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by denton
I read Volokh, and greatly respect his opinions. But I think he has the argument backwards: The state has the burden of showing that restricting magazine size makes a difference in public safety.

Awww, come on Calhoun. Your country needs you!

I want to see liberal head explodes with Trump nominating Alan Gura to replace Kennedy....

Bwaa haa haa haa.....

I don't want Gura to get it, we need him pushing the cases rather than be just 1 of 9 voting on them. But oh, I'd love to see Trump talk about it at least.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think he will surprise you : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Volokh

I followed him and his late father since 1980s , his dad started a computer company ( VESOFT ) as in Vladimir and Eugene..

when he was around 12 years old he knew more about computers than most of people in Dad's company.
he wrote several books about computing and for some reason he decided to give it all up and become a law professor.

P.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, he did surprise me when he came out with this several years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ne-capacity-to-10-rounds-constitutional/
A federal district court has refused to issue a preliminary injunction blocking Sunnyvale, California’s ban on magazines with more than 10 rounds. (Fyock v. City of Sunnyvale (N.D. Cal. Mar. 5, 2014).) A large part of the court’s rationale was that “a prohibition on possession of magazines having a capacity to accept more than ten rounds applies only the most minor burden on the Second Amendment,” and I think that’s both correct and legally relevant.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
... Yep. The deep state has something big on him [Justice Roberts].

The speculation is that it relates to certain "irregularities" involving the adoption of his Irish children .... not in Ireland .... but in Brazil.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ftbt
Along the same lines: But, this time it is California's expanded Assault Weapons Control Act that is being challenged as unconstitutional. The case is: "Rupp, et al., vs. Becerra" Here is the complaint:

http://www.andrewwatters.com/files/Rupp-v-Becerra.pdf

It is being supported by the NRA. See:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-californias-assault-weapons-control-act

This will also probably end up in the Supreme Court. You have to wonder about the timing of the filing of these two 2nd. Amendment cases ... right after Gorsuch was confirmed and filled the vacancy.

Thanks for throwing that up there ftbt, I was just going thru email from a few days ago to post the link to the complaint myself.

For those not reading the whole complaint, basically it's going after Cali on the parts and definitions that make up an "assault" weapon in the CA laws and the lack of logic behind them. For instance, one can have a firearm marked Colt AR-15 with a fixed magazine, no pistol grip, and no flash hider and it is illegal to have in CA. Same receiver marked "Illegal Assault Weapon" with same accessories mentioned and it is not disqualified as it is not on the list as the Colt version is.

I look forward to this one going far in the court systems also.

Geno

PS. especially important as I'm probably retiring in the f'd up state I grew up in, far far from that part of Cali though.

Last edited by Valsdad; 05/01/17.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I strongly resent gun owners who don't donate either time or money to the various groups that fight for us.

same here

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I strongly resent gun owners who don't donate either time or money to the various groups that fight for us.

same here

Yes, it would be nice if everyone supported this. USA strong. We all stand together.

Thanks

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
439 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.