Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Currently I am in the market for a competition pistol.

I have been using my HK VP9 which is a great gun but want to get a pistol dedicated to competition.

I will be shooting local IDPA and 3 gun matches with it. I prefer to keep the caliber 9mm, I am not interested in .40.

After reading through bunches of rule books, it looks like I can use either of the models I am looking at: Glock 34 or an STI DVC Limited.

I realize these are hugely on opposite ends of the price scale. If I go with the G34, I am looking at going with Taran Tactical to get all the modifications up front rather than start with a base and part it together. I could also get a standard 34 and add arts that I would like to change, Glock upgrades with the exception of milling slides and cutting barrels are not out of my realm of ability.

For the STI, I like the idea of getting a gun that I can easily grow into and don't have to go through several guns to get a highly competitive pistol.

Any suggestions for those of you who may have gone down this path already? I appreciate any helpful guidance and input.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's no way, just no way on earth, I'd drop the change that TT wants for a Glock. You can polish internals and install a new trigger yourself, install new Dawson sights yourself, install a mag well yourself....There's just no way to justify the money they want for a Glock.

If you get the STI be aware that there may be some growing pains with it. Figuring out ammo length and getting magazines running right can be a chore with some of them. And new mags will run at least $75 with extensions, and those aren't tuned. Plan on around $100 apiece for spare mags that are set up to run right.

For IDPA you don't need an STI to be highly competitive. The shots just aren't that hard. You'll be plenty competitive with a Glock. Even in 3Gun the difference between a Glock that's set up right and an STI will rarely be noticeable. For 3Gun there'll be a lot of other stuff that slows you down before that pistol difference does.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Glock 34 can do it all. Sights and a minor trigger job, perhaps a magwell will have you in the game. I have run a 40 S&W in 3 gun many times, there is no down side there either. It can help if you have some spinners and need some extra horsepower. Downloaded to minor, the 40 may be more tame than the 9mm.

A $2000 Glock is silly.

Last edited by supercrewd; 05/08/17.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll echo what the others have said. For IDPA and 3 gun shooting all that you need is a some good sights and a trigger job. Especially for the club level shoots that you mention I see a lot of shooters in ssp class that don't even bother with aftermarket sights or trigger work and shoot Glock 34, 17, and 19. It's close range rapid fire shooting and doesn't require anything special in a pistol. Definitely not a $2000 Glock. My personal 3 gun/IDPA gun is a Gock 17 that's stock other than a Ghost trigger job kit and Dawson sights.

Last edited by Mittenman; 05/10/17.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
There's no way, just no way on earth, I'd drop the change that TT wants for a Glock. You can polish internals and install a new trigger yourself, install new Dawson sights yourself, install a mag well yourself....There's just no way to justify the money they want for a Glock.

If you get the STI be aware that there may be some growing pains with it. Figuring out ammo length and getting magazines running right can be a chore with some of them. And new mags will run at least $75 with extensions, and those aren't tuned. Plan on around $100 apiece for spare mags that are set up to run right.

For IDPA you don't need an STI to be highly competitive. The shots just aren't that hard. You'll be plenty competitive with a Glock. Even in 3Gun the difference between a Glock that's set up right and an STI will rarely be noticeable. For 3Gun there'll be a lot of other stuff that slows you down before that pistol difference does.

i checked out some STI on GB and i must say the Price is on the roof $4000+ though i am still considering it.

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Mittenman
I'll echo what the others have said. For IDPA and 3 gun shooting all that you need is a some good sights and a trigger job. Especially for the club level shoots that you mention I see a lot of shooters in ssp class that don't even bother with aftermarket sights or trigger work and shoot Glock 34, 17, and 19. It's close range rapid fire shooting and doesn't require anything special in a pistol. Definitely not a $2000 Glock. My personal 3 gun/IDPA gun is a Gock 17 that's stock other than a Ghost trigger job kit and Dawson sights.

mmhh Glock 17, i will hit the range this week end and will borrow one from a guy i know and i will get a few round through it to see its performance, then maybe...either way spending $2000 on a Glock is a No No.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For slightly more than a stock G34, you might look at this for your competition pistol...

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-75-shadow-sa-da-9mm-black.html?___SID=U

NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Best look at Canik SFX comp. Model

C
C
I would seriously consider a sig legion sao in 9mm, another option would be an s&w m&p. both are high my list. In combat/defensive shooting ergonomics are far more important than gilt edge accuracy!, The pistol that fits and feels the best generally will shoot the best. Good Day!. Jim H.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
STI makes great pistols but a Glock 34 with aftermarket sights and a tuned trigger will work very well for much less money. If you really like 1911's and don't like Glocks then the STI would be a good way to go. A lot of this is just personal preference. I have both and mostly shoot my Glock 34, partly because my every day carry is a Glock.. The G34 is simple, easy to clean,very reliable and plenty accurate enough for IDPA and USPSA.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shot more than my fair share of competition. The gun does matter, but the shooter matters more. I've seen the great shooters using stock Glocks, actually stock anything, beat others shooting the best money can buy. Start with the G34, put a competition trigger in it (3-4lbs), and put adjustable sights of your choosing on it. That's all you have to do to start playing and being competitive. Use the lightest load that will function the gun, be accurate, and meet knock-down steel target requirements. After that, dry fire 500 rounds a week and practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 07/17/17.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
Best look at Canik SFX comp. Model

still not listening are you

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.