Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would like to try fly fishing. Done most other kinds of fishing. Have nice pond nearby to try for starters. Pan fish and bass. Thinking a 5 wt beginners outfit. Maybe one of the Cabala or Redington packages. Like to keep it under $200 as this is a bit of an experiment for me. Suggestions appreciated. Glass? Length? Rod, reel, weight. Good package deal? Thanks.

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 5-wt seems a good place to start for pan fish and bass. Perhaps a Redington Classic Trout, when they are on sale. But you would do well to search and post questions at theflyfishingforum.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2978334

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am not from the northwest, but another forum I have found helpful in getting set up to get my kids started fly fishing is: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/forums/classifieds.17/
Have picked up a couple of good used Cabelas and Redington outfits in their classifieds. If you post a WTB ad I am sure you will have several offers. Good luck and have fun!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
A 5 wt rod is what is most recommended for an all around rod for trout fishing, and is the one I recommend also. You say panfish and BASS, the key word being bass. You do not say which type of bass but being in the Great Lakes area I would assume Smallmouths, but in any event Smallmouth and Largemouth both require larger flies than trout. Fly rods are selected based on the size of the flies you will cast as much as the size to the fish you seek. Bass want larger flies, much larger than trout.

I would recommend a 6 wt rod for a pond with bass in it (I normally use a 7wt in a farm pond with bass). You will want to cast streamers and larger popping type bugs for the bass and a 6 wt will serve you better. Note that a panfish is not very line shy and you can cast a small panfish fly on a 6 wt just fine, but the opposite is a little more difficult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Instead of buying new, I'd suggest buying a better gently used rod. I've bought several St Croix rods for $125 or so off fleabay. A reel set you back $25-50. You be into a decent outfit for less than $200. I also agree with the 6 wt rod if bass are in the equation, especially if you plan to fish for them. If simply opportunity catching than a 5wt will work if your careful.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My advice has always been to place your importance on the line first, and then the rod and reel - in that order. You will only get frustrated learning how to fly cast with bad line. My choice for a good all around line that won't break the bank is double taper Cortland 444 in 5 or 6-weight. I happen to like 8.5-foot rods in glass and bamboo, but going that route could cost you money and tax your skills in finding a good rig. Having said that, go to a shop and look for a good mid line name brand graphite rod. I'm sure most all of them will work well these days. And for starters, don't get seduced by a sexy expensive reel. All they do is hold the line.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
My advice has always been to place your importance on the line first, and then the rod and reel - in that order...

Once you've purchased a rod, only then will you discover which line it likes.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd agree. About a 9 ft 5 wt. If one has to buck wind frequently then a weight forward floating line. If one is after delicate presentations then a double taper floating line. Might get a sink tip line as well if one plans on fishing deeper ponds or lakes. Good luck,

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by pal
My advice has always been to place your importance on the line first, and then the rod and reel - in that order...

Maybe, but he's looking for a starting point and you can go through a lot of expensive lines in that learning curve. I still think that a double taper 6-wt is a good place to begin. A 6-wt will better buck canyon and/or spring winds. After that, if you are still in the game, then play around with weight forwards and sinking lines. And also don't forget, it's not a sin to cast a 5-wt line on a 6-wt rod. You can make it work with a little practice.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal

Maybe, but he's looking for a starting point and you can go through a lot of expensive lines in that learning curve. I still think that a double taper 6-wt is a good place to begin. A 6-wt will better buck canyon and/or spring winds. After that, if you are still in the game, then play around with weight forwards and sinking lines. And also don't forget, it's not a sin to cast a 5-wt line on a 6-wt rod. You can make it work with a little practice.

Are the Great Lakes canyons anything like the Missouri Breaks? wink

Underlining is much harder for a beginner than overlining..

Sierra Trading Post often has good lines for a fraction of retail... I have gotten some incredible lines for cheap.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I guess I missed the punch line.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Have a bunch of rods, but last summer my step daughter and her son came out to fish.. Bringing their tods was overly expensive.. So we bought two Cabelas 9' 5wt. rod packages..on sale they were 50 bucks.. Usually they are about $90. They two of the nicest rods to cast I have.. Buying used is fine too, but this package was a great deal.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the good information. Have 3 Cabela shops in MI and I am now following their ads and checking EBay as well. Good fishing to all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Being new to fly fishing, you might want to check out a local fly shop where you can get some advice and try casting a few rods, before you buy. A good shop can help you put together a rod, reel and line the right way. Maybe even give you a couple of casting lessons to help you get started.

I'd probably be more inclined to suggest a 9' 6wt rod instead of the 5wt. If you'll be throwing poppers for bass, the 6wt will make casting a little easier. You'll still be able to trout fish with the 6wt, if the need arises.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
16, I would prefer 6wt rods for what u have in mind.. The 5s were on sale & we were only fish for trout.. 6's would better suit your needs I think.. In the modern style rods, I personally like a rod as close to full flex as I can get.. Many are as stiff as a telephone pole..No fun there.. My favorite rods area old Fenwick glass rods..My little 7.5' has been catching trout for almost 50 years.. It's 8' pal has lots of bass to its credit 👍 Best of luck.. I just found 3 fly rods I forgot I bought... They were on sale I guess🤓

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, go you your nearest fly shop, and see about casting lessons first, it will save you both time, money and a lot of frustration. You have no bad habits to correct. Like a flinch, you can get one in 5 min and then spend the next 20 years correcting it. As for a rod, line, and reel. There are so many choices at every price point. The low-end stuff today is light years better than the top end stuff 40 years ago, and that is a fact. The line size has more to due with the size of fly you are going to fish than anything else, for example a rod/line set up that you would say cast # 20 Griffiths Gnats to spipping trout would be different that one you would use to cast 2/0 surf candy to strippers. For light Bass and Pan fish a 5 or 6 weight would due, thou I might lean to a 7 wt just so that I can cast a broader range of fly sizes will less physical effort. I will tell you this, it's a habit forming thing, you will end up with more than one rod or you will just find it not for you like a lot of people do, mostly because of casting issues, lessons are worth the expense and then some.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Good advice.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
16, I would prefer 6wt rods for what u have in mind.. The 5s were on sale & we were only fish for trout.. 6's would better suit your needs I think.. In the modern style rods, I personally like a rod as close to full flex as I can get.. Many are as stiff as a telephone pole..No fun there.. My favorite rods area old Fenwick glass rods..My little 7.5' has been catching trout for almost 50 years.. It's 8' pal has lots of bass to its credit 👍 Best of luck.. I just found 3 fly rods I forgot I bought... They were on sale I guess🤓

I just can't get into graphite rods. Not trying to be snotty but they all feel a lot alike to me. So I guess that one is pretty much just as good as the other. I do have a weakness for early pre-Browning Silaflex Medallion rods, pre-Garcia Conolon rods (the place where Russ Peak would later produce his wares), some early Phillipson glass, and all Powell glass rods. Don't get me going on bamboo - I can't afford to go there anymore!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
To the OP this will probably get me some flak but I bought a friend a beginner package from LL Bean for about $120 in a 8 1/2ft 6 wt. It turned out to be a pretty nice little pkg. I think these packages are a good way to start and when you progress to a better outfit this will be a good rig to have as a backup , leave behind the truck seat for creeks of opportunity , or to loan to friends. To be honest I have an old spinning rig that started out like that and I've caught more fish on that thing than any of my better outfits. Why? It's always there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pal

Are the Great Lakes canyons anything like the Missouri Breaks? wink

Underlining is much harder for a beginner than overlining..

Sierra Trading Post often has good lines for a fraction of retail... I have gotten some incredible lines for cheap.

Great advice per usual.

As a beginner I can attest to benefits of going up one line size, especially when trying to fight a breeze with a lighter rod.

The TFO signature II rod is a good one for the money, 5wt 9' will set you back $125

Pick up a used reel off of flea bay (for what you're looking at doing a reel is just a place to hold line and asside from the cheapest China junk anything should do) here's a few I found with a quick search
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORTLAND-FLY-FISHING-REEL-5-6-WEIGHT/382066051747
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-X2-CADDIS-CREEK-FLY-REELS-CC65-4-6-LINE-WT-/322515928699?hash=item4b1772867b:g:imcAAOSw~FJZF5mX
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PFLUEGER-ME...-GENTLY-USED-REAL-NICE-REEL/142382233744

Pick some new line from sierra trading post and do a search for one of their sale coupons because you can almost always find one for an additional 20-30% off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.