Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I just bought back a Winchester 270 AW in McMillian stock from the person I sold it to. I was telling my nephew a week ago how I regretted selling that gun. I had it on order for 6 month before I got it from the factory when they first came out. I sold it a couple of years ago to buy a couple of feather weights. Lo and behold on another forum in the classified pages I see my old rifle for sale. I asked my wife she said go for it. So I pick my old gun tomorrow. Have you ever done that. I know its crazy I don't need it but it shot good and was sentimental to me (maybe I am getting softer the older I get:)

Last edited by ehunter; 05/03/17.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Done that, as well- Years ago, a good friend of mine wanted an '06, and I had the old sporterized 03-A3 my folks had given me for my 14th birthday that I no longer used.
After I sold it to him, I immediately regretted the decision. Months later, I offered to trade him a 99E Savage .243 for my old rifle, and he agreed. I still have it, after the 56 years since I got it for my birthday.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Didn't have to buy one back, it was returned to me.. Gave my first deer rifle to my BIL when I went in the Navy, 25 years later he gave it back to me. A '44 BCD code K98 with it's original 8mm barrel. Lots of MN and NE Whitetails went in the freezer with that old rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did that, and had people offer to sell me them back.

When the OMW (Original Mrs Walter) fell sick years back, I sold a bunch of guns to fund getting help. Years later, every person I had sold to called me or wrote to me (most were friends) and asked when I wanted my rifle/revolver/pistol back.

Some of them were priceless to me only, given the hunts we went on, or the places we'd been.

Since then, I've always offered to sell back to the original owner if they have sellers remorse.

Last edited by David_Walter; 05/03/17.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thats cool David those are true friends

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I sold a Remington mountain rifle in 257 Roberts a few years back. I've tried to buy it back a few times, no luck. But the one I most regret was a Ruger 1B in .280 that I swapped to a gun shop. Never have been able to find the owner.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ehunter

You are not kidding. People like that need to be cloned, not enough of them in this world.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There have been many I wish I could buy back. I don't know where I'd start . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
NEVER had true sellers remorse on a rifle. have had it on a car though, big time

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did that with an very special M1 Garand. Sold it to buy a tricked out AR 15. The shine wore off quickly. It sat at the same shop for well over 6 months collecting dust before i brought it back home. This was in the days when nice DCM Garands were still under $700.

I actually felt guilty selling that rifle almost to the point that I had abandoned one of my children. Stupid right ?

Last edited by krupp; 05/03/17.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't keep track of to whom I sell or trade firearms for several reasons, one of which is that I often do suffer seller's remorse. I would end up spending more money than I do now. blush

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought back a Ruger #1-B in 22/250 I had purchased in 1974 for the then new price of $265.00. I was in school and had that gun in lay-a-way for a few months earning the 165.00 due. I sold the rifle to a friend of my brothers in the 90's and bought it back 10 years later. It will never leave again.

Doc

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Biggest regrets have been SxS and O/U shotguns I should never ever have sold. Sako 75 SM in 300 WSM is one huge regret but the shotguns surpass it .

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Indeed...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh sure.

I had a Valmet O/U shotgun. got bored & sold it. Then saw it for sale again for sale, regretted selling and bought it back. Then I patterned it and discovered why I never could hit anything with it. One barrel patterned about 18 inches high at 30 yards. The other was maybe 6 inches high. I re-sold it and don't want another.

I can think of 3-4 rifles I sold that I wish I still had. The worst was probably a Rodda Field's Patent Falling Block .500-450 single shot from 1890 or so. It was heavily worn, but I now know people who could fix it. I keep hoping to see it turn up at an auction somewhere, but no dice.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have only really had seller's remorse over a couple rifles. Have never seen them come up for sale. So, no chance to buy 'em back. A pre-AccuTrigger Left Hand Savage long actioin, chambered .223. Would consistently shoot 5 shot groups in the .3's and .4's when I did my part. And a couple Left Hand MRI Mountain Eagles... frown

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Just bought back a 200 anniversary Remington with maple stock I had sold to son in law. I'm glad to get it back!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
I don't keep track of to whom I sell or trade firearms for several reasons, one of which is that I often do suffer seller's remorse. I would end up spending more money than I do now. blush

^This

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
280 winlite, had sellers remorse bad, then it came up for sale a year later on here, but was short on funds. Havent seen it again or I'd grab it.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Indeed...

One was the rifle my late wife used to hunt with me in Arica. I have that back.

One was a revolver Dave Clements built from spare parts for my son, then 10 years old. I have that back, as well.

I am blessed by association with extraordinary people.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have sold and bought back several rifles over the years. Even sold and bought back one Marlin 336 Texan 30-30 twice!

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Way back when I turned 21 and was hot for a handgun, I sold a Ruger tanger in 6mm to a cousins son-in-law who was just starting to hunt. Eventually the cousin died, camp died, and the son-in-law quit hunting. I had offered a couple of times over the years to buy it back but he hung onto it. I finally got rifle back a couple of years ago, about 34 years after I sold it.

Dale

This space for rent

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
NEVER had true sellers remorse on a rifle. have had it on a car though, big time

You and me both, still miss that old 5.0...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'06 T3 I sold my ex brother in law. He loves the damn thing so I reckon it's ok.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My regret on a car was my High School car, sold it when I went into the Navy. A 63 Impala SS 425HP 409. I REALLY wish I could get it back. Most likely I could not afford it however..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I am blessed by association with extraordinary people.

Understatement of the year, Sir. I have no doubt it speaks volumes of the kind of gentleman you are as well.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I have a feeling Mr. Walters would do the same and then some. He's a cool cat.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Did that, and had people offer to sell me them back.

When the OMW (Original Mrs Walter) fell sick years back, I sold a bunch of guns to fund getting help. Years later, every person I had sold to called me or wrote to me (most were friends) and asked when I wanted my rifle/revolver/pistol back.

Some of them were priceless to me only, given the hunts we went on, or the places we'd been.

Since then, I've always offered to sell back to the original owner if they have sellers remorse.

Thanks for posting this. I will do the same from now on. I only regretted selling one rifle and the buyer refused to sell it back to me.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I thought I was the only one who had ever done that.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Had an old Ruger 77 in 338 that would regularly shoot NBT into one hole groups. It shot NP into just over an inch. After acquiring a 340wby that shot really wel with factory loads and seeing how poorly the 200g NBT performed on elk, I sold the rifle to a buddy. I've regretted it ever since as those NBTs really worked well on big mule deer. Funny thing about the rifle was the barrel was not straight--you could visibly see it when trying to bore sight it. Still, it shot lights out with with 200g NBT and IMR4350 or RL 19.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine was a 357 Blackhawk

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sold a few Savages to a friend that lives 50 miles away, bought a couple back when he tired of them rather than have them go back on gunbroker.

Miss a couple that I sold, but can't say I really regret selling them.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only one I bought back was a plain old A-Bolt in 22-250. It has been the most consistent rifle I've ever owned and shot a few deer & coyotes with it to boot. Nothing special by any stretch, but a very reliable gun that fit well and shot better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sold the 8X60mm Model 98 sporter at the bottom of the picture once. About 30 years later I saw it in the used rifle rack at a gun shop. I thought it looked familiar but would have never guessed that it was one I once had. Before I knew it, I was walking out the door with my old rifle and wondering if I still had the 8X60 dies I once had.

[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dale K
Way back when I turned 21 and was hot for a handgun, I sold a Ruger tanger in 6mm to a cousins son-in-law who was just starting to hunt. Eventually the cousin died, camp died, and the son-in-law quit hunting. I had offered a couple of times over the years to buy it back but he hung onto it. I finally got rifle back a couple of years ago, about 34 years after I sold it.

Dale

Good, that means there is still hope!

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have never bought a gun back that I sold but I have sold several that I now regret letting go (im afraid im about to do it again right now..ha!) .........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know an XCRII you could get back...

E
E
Model 70 action heavy contour 24 inch barrel in 280 on a bedded McMillian stock. Sub MOA. What was I thinking!! Maybe I will track that back down and get it back....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy back? I have owned two different rifles three times! grin

The first was a Weatherby SS Vanguard 257 Weatherby, about 10 or 12 years ago I put it in a McMillan Sako classic stock. I called it Irish Spring, turquoise and medium green flame. Shamelessly stole the McM formula from Steelhead. It was an addictive thing. Although the stock grip didn't fit me that well and the action was gummy, elk really hated it! wink.

I would sell it, then some time later see it listed. With a photo attached to the sell ad, it's a hard rifle to miss! grin

It is gone now and will not be coming back, no desire.

[Linked Image]

The other is a pre-64 model 70 featherweight 30-06 I bought in about 1994. It was my main rifle for quite a few years, then of course I had the "better" custom rifle built so semi-retired it, and thought I didn't need it. Sold it. Dumbass. Managed to get it back, had it tuned up and put in a McM edge stock. Then somehow I was stupid enough to re-do the old don't need it so sell it phase, and did again!

Recently managed to get it back due to the generosity of the guy I sold it to, also coming up with something he wanted more helped out. wink. Anyway, I have it back and it is here forever. My "spare" rifle.

[Linked Image]

That brings up a different topic. How is it that absolute rock star first-rate hunting rifles can be replaced or relegated to spare status when it's impossible to get anything that works better? It's a sickness boys. smile

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only things I ever sold were junky stuff bought cheap and never used. Problem here is the stuff I have bought at good prices, never used, and still have. whistle

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Rick, I can beat you by one. Had a 35 whelen on an FN action that I ended up owning a total of 4 times, in two different stocks. Gone now and going to stay that way.
I should have grabbed your fwt when I had the chance!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A friend and I swapped a S & W M/29 back and forth many times, neither of the wives could understand that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I usually have a hard time getting the price I want when selling, then I'm done.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned the same Mid fifties Winchester Model 70 Super Grade '06 three times. Killed my best mule deer with it. I sold it for the same reason three times. It is too heavy!

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Many I would like to buy back, and I have bought many back that I sold.. I have kept track of lots of things in my life, but I wish I would have kept track of all the Gus I have owned.. Often looking through my journals I read about guns I forgot I owned.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Many I would like to buy back, and I have bought many back that I sold.. I have kept track of lots of things in my life, but I wish I would have kept track of all the Gus I have owned.. Often looking through my journals I read about guns I forgot I owned.

I did keep track. I think I'm north of 125 of them now. There's more than a few I'd buy back if the chance presented itself.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Early production 700 mountain rifle in 280. This thread reminded me of it and now I'm waiting to hear back if the guy still has it and would sell it back...Thanks WyoCoyoteHunter, I don't know how you sleep at night!

Recovering Yankee
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just yesterday bought back a 404 Jeffery I had converted off of a model 70 RUM action.

Arcus Venator
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If I could find it, I'd buy back that RU77V in .25-06 I purchased at Penney's in Fairbanks in '75 or so, and foolishly sold around 1982. Factory standard, MOA with handl oads (factory ammo sucked) , full fiddleback stock from tip to butt. Killed a couple dozen caribou with it, all but one bang/flop. And he didn't know he was dead with the first one.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just got one back from my brother. A USRAC Winchester 70 Super Grade in 338. Love the gun...should have never let it go...glad its coming home. Ive killed a couple critters with it...hope to add some more. It seems very lucky...and ill never sell it again

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a Savge 24J, I think that was the model. Sold it in Montana back in the early 70's. Over time I ended up in Greeley, Colo and found the same exact one in a pawn shop ther. Really surprised me and I checked the serial number and it was the same rifle. Ended up selling it again down the road.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sako 270 a few years ago. Wish I still had it

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't get sentimental about guns too often. The ones I feel that way about, I wouldn't sell.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops (lefty) got a #1 yrs ago, so dumped his Savage. Yr or so later he sees it at gunshop. Bought it.............and later............sold it.
A yr or more goes by, sees it at another shop............bought it back.
Had it rebarrelled, hasn't even shot it..............been 20 plus yrs. Maybe 30 LOL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My late brother and I sold a few back and forth, but I never bought one back from a store.

He also sold me a Norton 850, but I came to my senses before I put it (and my azz) on the street and sold it back to him.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (6MMWASP, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 11 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,196
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.