Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel owners out there? I have owned several of the minis in 223 and love them. Just put a heavy barrel Grendel on layaway at Whitakers. What kind of accuracy are you getting from them?

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Nobody?

It's going to be all on you. I'm expecting a full write up on the gun and the caliber. I've got a heavy barrel 223 and will buy the Grendel and the 7.62x39 when I can catch them on sale. No hurry. I think the 6.5 is close to the perfect first deer rifle for a kid or a gun for a woman. If your going to hunt whitetails only it's probably all you would ever need.

Last edited by DryPowder; 05/04/17.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have just taken possession of a Grendal Mini Howa in 6.5 with the 20" liteweight barrel.

Will test drive on Monday, not impressed with the stock or the magazine and it's release.

By the way they are $799.00 here but that's better then $1200.00 for a CZ.

F

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too have been waiting for some REAL WORLD write ups and reviews on this rifle. I've watched a few of them on Youtube, but I always take the "sponsored" reviews with a grain of salt. Sometimes a teaspon !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Still waiting on the floorplate model. The pic on the Whittaker site looks like a conventional box mag, but a call revealed that its a stock photo of something else.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Flyer01
I have just taken possession of a Grendal Mini Howa in 6.5 with the 20" liteweight barrel.

Will test drive on Monday, not impressed with the stock or the magazine and it's release.

By the way they are $799.00 here but that's better then $1200.00 for a CZ.

F

I ran a heavy rubber band through my trigger guard, looped it through itself then flipped it over the mag. I have seen pics of the mag release filed down also.

Last edited by DryPowder; 05/04/17.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tagging this thread. Just picked up a mini youth 6.5 for my daughter. Need to figure out what scope for her. Probably won't be able to get her out shooting till after school gets out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one when they first came out and shot one box of ammo through it. Grouped great. However, I decided not to start reloading and really testing until I picked up a better stock. Unfortunately, it's been on the back burner ever since.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have two of the 223s, one with 20" lightweight and one with 22" standard sporter weight barrels. I am very pleased with both of them so far. Both are accurate and I happen to like the stocks as they fit me well and seem pretty rigid. I do agree that the magazine release is a serious design flaw. I plan to replace with bottom metal/floor plates when they become available one day. I have the 6.5 Grendel on layaway so it may be 90 days before I get to test it out. Glad to hear some are getting good accuracy from their Grendels.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What sort of speeds are people getting with 6.5 Grendel handloads in bolt guns?

Oh and what are the Howa Mini Grendels twisted at, can anyone tell me?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two of the 223s, one with 20" lightweight and one with 22" standard sporter weight barrels. I am very pleased with both of them so far. Both are accurate and I happen to like the stocks as they fit me well and seem pretty rigid. I do agree that the magazine release is a serious design flaw. I plan to replace with bottom metal/floor plates when they become available one day. I have the 6.5 Grendel on layaway so it may be 90 days before I get to test it out. Glad to hear some are getting good accuracy from their Grendels.

What do you think of the difference in the Barrels? I've got the heavy barrel gun.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Until they come out with a flat bottom drop box mag its a no thank you from me.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Timmay
Until they come out with a flat bottom drop box mag its a no thank you from me.

I had high hopes for this rifle, but I agree. Until the floorplate model comes out I will not buy one.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DryPowder

What do you think of the difference in the Barrels? I've got the heavy barrel gun.

I like the 22" barrel better than the 20" lightweight, but not by much. Both balance really well and I have not seen a difference in the accuracy. The 22" is just a tad easer to shoot accurately offhand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's what I was thinking just by looking at the specs. Thanks for confirming that.

It's kind of funny that Howa makes a trigger guard with a clip for a Remington but doesn't make a floor plate for there own rifle.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I bought Howa mini's in 6.5grendel several months ago, the 22" sporter, and also a 20" .223.

stock design was bearable, so i didnt alter it (yet)....

my grendel seems to like lighter weight class bullets, and several powder/bullet combinations have been less than MOA with no alterations to the rifle.......i scoped them, and took them shooting.

mine likes the Nosler 100gr BT best of the various 85/95/100/120/123/129 bullets i've shot.....tried several powders, ended up staying with 8208xbr mostly.

i put Leupold 2x7's with ballistic plex type reticle on both; with the grendel sighted at 100, the next crosshair down is pretty much dead on at 250 yards, which is the farthest i have shot it so far.

the action is pretty smooth, mag feeds well....mag release must be designed to keep you buying extras, when the first one falls out....

============================================================

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any chrono data on your loads FPX?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I picked up one of the heavy barreled Grendels to go with my standard 22" .223 Mini. I really like both rifles- especially after slimming/lightening the stocks. The Grendel has noticeably more recoil than the .223. I like the contour and resulting balance of the slightly heavier and shorter barrel. Factory ammo was slow- around 2400 fps. I took handloads with 123's up over 2600, but haven't shot the rifle much since then. Accuracy of both has been good. The triggers wouldn't adjust light enough for my personal taste until I took them apart and cut 1.5 coils off the springs. What else do you wanna know? There are a lot of threads over on the Grendel forum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7mm, thanks for the info. What components you using in the handloads?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.