Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I own three of the new T3x's and buddies own 10-15 more. Every T3x I own is a tack driver, as are theirs. In fact, local guys have been buying the new Tikka's faster than any other rifle in the store. The T3x is our top seller so far in 2017. Most of these guys are Remington 700 converts and rave about the accuracy. The majority are now buying a second and a third.

The issue Dennis is having with accuracy is the exception, not the norm. This conclusion is drawn from hundreds and hundreds of samples that have passed through our doors. Although the new ejection port is minimally larger, I don't put any stock in the assumption that it's creating accuracy issues. I've see too many clover leaf groups with the T3x's to buy into the theory.

This is the reason i bought one. I really wish i had time to wring itout or trade it but i am on the road now and won't have even internet after tuesday next week

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have purchased 3 NIB T3X's all in .300 Win and they are all outstanding sub MOA shooters, fit and function has also been perfect....The minor tweaks Tikka made on the X has only improved an already great rifle........Hb

This is not possible grin you must have replaced the steel lug with an aluminum lug

Ha! Thats correct because aluminum is actually more expensive thus superior for recoil lugs.......Hb

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hmmmm.....here's a factory barrel and possibly one of those 'compromised' actions from a Remington M700. All I did was bed the action and install a Timney trigger! And this isn't the first time this rifle has done this for me!

Ten rounds from 900 yards.

[Linked Image]308 Win/Remington M700 factory barrel/action by Sharps Man, on Flickr

[Linked Image].308 Rem M700 VS by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I own three of the new T3x's and buddies own 10-15 more. Every T3x I own is a tack driver, as are theirs. In fact, local guys have been buying the new Tikka's faster than any other rifle in the store. The T3x is our top seller so far in 2017. Most of these guys are Remington 700 converts and rave about the accuracy. The majority are now buying a second and a third.

The issue Dennis is having with accuracy is the exception, not the norm. This conclusion is drawn from hundreds and hundreds of samples that have passed through our doors. Although the new ejection port is minimally larger, I don't put any stock in the assumption that it's creating accuracy issues. I've see too many clover leaf groups with the T3x's to buy into the theory.

This is the reason i bought one. I really wish i had time to wring itout or trade it but i am on the road now and won't have even internet after tuesday next week

Just give me a shout when you get back. I realize it may be a while..

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tikka has a guarantee...just send it back.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You said previously that you let the barrel cool between shots. Are you sure that at the beginning that you may have let it get too hot and now you have a little bend in the barrel.? Even some of the experts that write for the Outdoor Magazines have admitted to not being careful enough and ruined barrels. There are too many positives about Tikka on this thread. I would do what Dogcatcher suggests. Send it back to Tikka, before you dump a good rifle.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm no expert, but....

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dennis,

I am lost on why this rifle must head north with you. Surely you have a number of rifles in the safe that will do the job with confidence, no?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Deleted post.

Last edited by okie john; 11/19/17. Reason: Stupidity

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Hmmmm.....here's a factory barrel and possibly one of those 'compromised' actions from a Remington M700. All I did was bed the action and install a Timney trigger! And this isn't the first time this rifle has done this for me!

Ten rounds from 900 yards.

[Linked Image]308 Win/Remington M700 factory barrel/action by Sharps Man, on Flickr

[Linked Image].308 Rem M700 VS by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Must be due to those special edition left handed barrels.

Last edited by wareagle700; 11/19/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I recently bought a t3x in 308 used off the rack and it wouldn't approach 1" groups. Mostly 1-3/4" to 2-1/2". I am friends with the dealer and he let me return it. I know I could have worked on the gun to fix whatever was wrong with it, but I don't have the time to do that and who needs the headache. They should shoot out of the box much better. Having said that, I have not lost faith in the brand. I just receive the same gun in 7mm-08 and after the first round of testing have a couple sub-moa loads. With more testing I expect to have a selection of acceptable rounds to choose from.

You may not have the option to return it, so I would listen to the other campers with more Tikka experience and see what you can accomplish. It may iron itself out after you get the barrel thoroughly broke in.

I wish you luck. I know how frustrating it is. These damn guns are not cheap and it sucks to think you got a clunker.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’d like to add to the bad scope theory. All my wild accuracy problems have been scope failure. My most accurate rifles always wore one particular scope - a Japanese Redfield Gold Star.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tikkas are for those that.....don't know better!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Tikkas are for those that.....don't know better!!

I'm glad to see your bolt handle is still intact 😀

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I can only speak to my personal 1st hand experience with two Tikka T3's. Mine in 300wsm and my friends in 300wm. His has only shot factory loadings as he doesn't reload, and yes he gets MOA groups with Federal Premium ammo. Mine gets MOA with factory and sub-moa with nearly but not all my reloads, but none of my groups have exceeded 1.5" at 100 yards. I can honestly say with out an oz. of BS I have over a 1/2 dozen reloads using IMR-4831 and 180 grain bullets that have given my sub-moa 3-shot and 5-shot 100 yard groups. I would LOVE to post my targets but they are to big (MBs VS KBs) and the system wont allow it.

I own rifles from Remington, Savage, T/C, Ruger, Mauser, Browning, and Marlin and without doubt my Tikka T3 lite was the easiest to get my reloads to shoot sub-moa for and is the most accurate gun I own.

All I can say is every single manufacturer of anything with parts can and will produce a sub standard product, especially ones produced in a price range that makes inspecting each item a financial impossibility. Send the rifle back to Tikka I'm reasonably certain they will fix it.

If I were to buy another rifle tomorrow without doubt it would be another T3 over all others.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.