Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I respectfully disagree. As you are not a gun manufacturer and a single experience bears little weight against the decision by two venders to chrome their chambers, I would bet on Browning and Benellis recognition of the problem. Your single data point experience means little against overwhelming evidence that carbon steel chambers on semi auto's are problematic. Myself I have seen dozens of Remington's with a fired shell stuck in the chamber. My black gun barrels are all chromed or stainless. Zero problems in 35 plus years of shooting them.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I respectfully disagree. As you are not a gun manufacturer and a single experience bears little weight against the decision by two venders to chrome their chambers, I would bet on Browning and Benellis recognition of the problem. Your single data point experience means little against overwhelming evidence that carbon steel chambers on semi auto's are problematic. Myself I have seen dozens of Remington's with a fired shell stuck in the chamber. My black gun barrels are all chromed or stainless. Zero problems in 35 plus years of shooting them.

I happen to like Winchester/Olin 100s in 243 and 308, but not so much if they are chambered in 284. I have owned at least a dozen Winchester/Olin 100s over the past forty (40) years and still have three (3) that I manage to hunt with every couple of years. I doubt that I'll ever buy another semi-automatic hunting rifle, as the four (4) that I currently have meet my needs.

In this case, there is lots of anecdotal evidence that doesn't sync with my experience, but that's OK with me.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

My three (3) Winchester/Olin 100s work fine and GPC still has the only parts that I've ever had to replace.

The company that bought the Winchester parts is Nu-Line Guns in Rhineland, MO.

www.nulineguns.com

Yes, Sir. I got 2 of the 3 parts I needed from them, but I think it was a cap that I had to get from another vendor. One of the parts was specific to the caliber and I think that was the one that nuline didn't have. So there is at least one more place out there that does have some parts for those who need them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's our individual experience. living and hunting in the southeast my experience is seeing dozens of semi auto remington guns with rusted chambers.

A gunsmith I used to frequent had a bunch of them in his shop one year and told me when asked he would never take another one in. Rusted chambers are the most common problem. I just choose to use chromed or stainless guns.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

My three (3) Winchester/Olin 100s work fine and GPC still has the only parts that I've ever had to replace.
Some, yes.. But when (not if) the action bars breaks off the trigger group - you're basically DONE. There's one guy that makes the replacement gas piston assembly but I've not had the opportunity to require his part. No idea what it costs, but if you need one - you pay it..

Oh, and GPC's 'replacement' extractors are worthless. BTDT. Pay the price, get an original, and boogie on..

www.nulineguns.com
That's the outfit I was referring to above in my earlier post..

And if anyone doesn't know how to PROPERLY remove & replace the action from the stock is asking for serious issues.. Not to mention ya better FULLY disassemble that rifle, clean same, and pay attention when re-assembly or you'll be making another trip to some 'smith who'll even THINK of taking 'em in..

FWIW. smile

Last edited by Redneck; 04/27/17.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Interesting that the OP asked about the Winchester 100 and several posters have responded with their favorable personal experiences covering many M100 examples.

Had the OP asked the same question but about a Remington 742, there would have been a parade of posters warning him to avoid it at all costs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck

Some, yes.. But when (not if) the action bars breaks off the trigger group - you're basically DONE. There's one guy that makes the replacement gas piston assembly but I've not had the opportunity to require his part. No idea what it costs, but if you need one - you pay it..

Oh, and GPC's 'replacement' extractors are worthless. BTDT. Pay the price, get an original, and boogie on..

www.nulineguns.com
That's the outfit I was referring to above in my earlier post..

And if anyone doesn't know how to PROPERLY remove & replace the action from the stock is asking for serious issues.. Not to mention ya better FULLY disassemble that rifle, clean same, and pay attention when re-assembly or you'll be making another trip to some 'smith who'll even THINK of taking 'em in..

FWIW. smile

AFAIK, the extractor that I purchased from GPC and installed in that particular rifle has worked as intended for the past eleven (11) years. I bought extras for my rifles, but have never had to use any of them.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with the Winchester/Olin 100s in 243 and 308 that I've owned, so that is the only anecdotal feedback that I can offer to the OP.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimmyp
It's our individual experience. living and hunting in the southeast my experience is seeing dozens of semi auto remington guns with rusted chambers.

A gunsmith I used to frequent had a bunch of them in his shop one year and told me when asked he would never take another one in. Rusted chambers are the most common problem. I just choose to use chromed or stainless guns.

It seems to me that rusted chambers are more likely to be the result of poor operator maintenance, rather than from a design flaw.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
$25.00

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Red, thanks for that. I had a couple back in the day...and was pondering one again.

Have had enough rifle drama...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Win. 100 in .308 It was my fathers rifle, he gave it to me. This weapon has never had any extra work done to it. It has always worked great, pull the trigger it goes bang.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just picked up a Winchester 100 in .308 for a buddy. I paid $270 out the door and will put a low power variable on it. Should do just fine for a Southeast AK deer and black bear rifle.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of Winchester 100's. One in 308 and one in 284. I can get 1.25 to 1.75 inch groups on a regular basis with both, which suits me fine. I haven't had any problems with them at all and the only thing I have had to do is swap out the firing pins to the new model.

The 284 is a little hard to feed but I have found that brass can be made for it from 6.5X284 without much trouble. crazy I call it my 7mmX6.5X284 wildcat.

I'm not much into gun buying at this stage in my life, but if I came across a Winchester 100 in 243 in good shape, it would likely follow me home. Depending on condition/caliber/pre 64 or not, in these parts $450 to $600 would get you a nice one.

Harry
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 21 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.