Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 32 1 2 28 29 30 31 32
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
gnoahhh - mine tend to run a little stiffer, BHN around 10 if I can trust my Lee hardness tester

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wish i lived closer. We could get in serious trouble. I have acquired a stupid number of primed .22 LR cases to pursue the world of alternatives to store-bought ammo. My approach though is slightly different: I'm breech seating a bullet ahead of a case charged with Bullseye powder. The off-the-shelf molds I have (three Lyman/Ideal #225438's, each one somewhat different than the rest- they fooled with the design over the years) are only so-so, with alloys of 1-20 to 1-40 and no gas checks. I could/will plan to jockey alloy/hardness but I'm thinking maybe a purpose-built mold is in order. I'm getting around 1" at 50 yards, sometimes but rarely better, out of a Ballard target rifle that's good for around 1/4" with a favorite lot of Eley Tenex. I can do better, and a plain base mold designed to properly fit the throat may well be in my future. perhaps though I'm fooling myself and should drop back and investigate the benefits of a heeled bullet and creation of fixed ammunition. God, such looniness- ain't it great?!

The weather is starting to break here so it's soon time to start living at the range again!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/01/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Breech seating....why didn’t I think of that? A new door has opened! grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We're doomed, Dan, doomed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not yet!

Friend Muffin visited today and it was interesting to say the least. His target. His alloy at 12 O'clock, and mine on the right. Bullets were swagged prior to loading.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

S
S
I started down this path, but decided to go a slightly different direction.

I built my rifle around 25ACP.

An 18 inch barrel liner from Track The Wolf with a 1:14 twist, a few SS spacers, a piece of carbon fiber tubing, an Encore frame, and a little machine work.

I ended up with 16 5/8 inch barrel on that Encore frame.

For bullets I'm going to use .250 caliber PCP air rifle slugs. After powder coating it puts them at just over .251. The two weights I'm going to start with are 36 grains and 43.5 grains. QuickLoad estimates a max velocity of about 1400 fps for the 36 and 1200 for the 43.5.

I've only shot factory Winchester 50 grain ammo at the moment, but those are looking pretty good.

I'll post pics tomorrow when I'm at a computer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very DigitalDanish!

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sound familiar, Pappy? whistle grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great minds and all that.......

What fresh Hell is this?
S
S
Here's the completed gun.

Here's a mock up of the two bullets I'm starting with. The large hollow point is the 43.5 grain and the dimple nose it the 36 grain.

Here are the 2 25 yard targets shot with factory Winchester 50 grain FMJ ammo. Left is 5 shots, right is 3 shots.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Is that .22 or maybe .25 cal?

Looks like it’s working regardless!

👍

I am..........disturbed.

S
S
It's a 25 ACP, loaded with an air rifle slug.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Very nice Shiwarlock. Thanks for sharing with us.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Question for you guys,

Have you tried experiment with hodgdon's reduced loads for 223rem? They list 55gr bullet and three different powders: Trail Boss, Titegroup, and Clays that give around 22lr velocities.

I just don't know what kind of accuracy one would get from these loads? Figured you more experience hand loaders might have some insight. Thanks!

S
S
Originally Posted by leomort
Question for you guys,

Have you tried experiment with hodgdon's reduced loads for 223rem? They list 55gr bullet and three different powders: Trail Boss, Titegroup, and Clays that give around 22lr velocities.

I just don't know what kind of accuracy one would get from these loads? Figured you more experience hand loaders might have some insight. Thanks!

Yes, you could build low velocity loads for several cartridges and get similar results. That's not the point of the project.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi shiwarlock,

Thank you for your response. I thought that was DigitalDan's original post: how to make cheap 22lr alternative from centerfire.

Use to be able to get hornady 55 gr sp w/c for about 6.5 cents/piece, primers for 3 cents/piece, powder for about 3 cents/round, exclude price of brass like OP did and get cost of around 12.5 cents/round or about the price of CCI mini mag hp 100pack, or at least the good old day prices.

Cool thread. The above recipe was what I was thinking of for centerfire 22lr alternative.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There are certainly small cartridges that will do the trick but I had a severe case of the loony virus. 😁

That said, the .22 GTC cost is very low. My calculations are based on costs pre shortage, but figure about 4 cents/round. .03 of that is primer cost. Figures to be about $2/box of 50. Now if I get around to it and start reusing spent primers, who knows? 😵

Cast bullets are cheap when they weigh 40 gr. The only brass I’ve lost failed due to primer pocket expansion with certain primer/load combos. Apparently 1,300 FPS is a bit too crisp.

I am..........disturbed.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
the hammond game getter isn't a bad deal if you want to plink short range. it's more of a novelty or niche then a heavy duty plinking setup.

end up being about 9cents a shot but i use it more for bush chicken then hard core practice.

00 thumbed into a 30-30 fired case with a tiny amount of unique and diy primer from snap caps might be another option

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There are certainly small cartridges that will do the trick but I had a severe case of the loony virus. 😁

That said, the .22 GTC cost is very low. My calculations are based on costs pre shortage, but figure about 4 cents/round. .03 of that is primer cost. Figures to be about $2/box of 50. Now if I get around to it and start reusing spent primers, who knows? 😵

Cast bullets are cheap when they weigh 40 gr. The only brass I’ve lost failed due to primer pocket expansion with certain primer/load combos. Apparently 1,300 FPS is a bit too crisp.

I've only recently started hand loading and only for handguns. So you guys are way more advance than I.

However these shortages have me contemplating the load I list above as an alternative to 22lr. I thought the Obama years were bad, afraid to think what the Biden years will be!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bowhunter, OO is too large for .30 cal bores. Hornady makes round balls for muzzleloaders that are .311” and they work just fine.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 30 of 32 1 2 28 29 30 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.