Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Revisiting an idea tried before in different iterations and looking for thoughts. In days past there have been several straightwall .22 CF cartridges, the most recent failure being the Cooper .22 CCM. They were in circulation and competing with an abundant supply of cheap RF ammo and fell by the wayside.

We have been on the wrong side of the price/supply equation for some years now and I ponder the viability of pursuing the idea once again. Rather than trying to recreate the Cooper round I'm thinking that the target for performance should or might be the .22 LR at the standard velocity range with 40-45 grain cast or jacketed .224" bullets, something that would be suitable for the handloading crowd.

Some of the numbers I ponder:

Depending on a few variables, 3,500 - 7,000 loads from a pound of powder. Assuming $25/# we are left with about .35-.71 cents/round.
Assuming $2/# for lead, the cost per bullet is 1.15 cents per round.
Primers will cost about 3 cents each at current prices.

Total cost per round, excluding brass is about 4.85 cents per round. I figure brass life to be very long due to low pressures and on assumption of compatibility of die/brass dims. Lighter bullets or round balls might be driven with only a primer, thus presenting some additional cost reductionns.

Thoughts?

Don't be bashful, I can take a jab or two.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Not straight walled but the .22 Hornet can easily load down to whatever velocities you want.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
True, and having traveled that path with mediocre results it does not inspire. Thinking load density is key to success and a straight wall case has some advantage. I suggest, based on experience, this endeavor would favor cast bullets for the most part. Pounding a stuck jacketed bullet from a Hornet barrel is not a lot of fun. They tend to start doing that around 1100 fps in a Ruger #1.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just make low velocity hand loads for my 223 bolt action.... 1800 FPS, 55 grain FMJ bullets I paid $.05 for, so really more like the 22 WMR. And cheappppp.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I download a .221 FB for small edible game. 13.o gr H4227 w/ 55 FMJ for about 2,100 fps

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by denton
I just make low velocity hand loads for my 223 bolt action.... 1800 FPS, 55 grain FMJ bullets I paid $.05 for, so really more like the 22 WMR. And cheappppp.

How do you get 'em slowed down that much? Pistol powder?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I went through this at the peak of the rimfire "shortage," and ended up with a Lyman mold that casts wheelweight bullets that weigh 43.5 grains. Supposedly they're gas-checks, but I tried various alternatives and found they shot best from my Ruger 1B .22 Hornet unsized without gas-checks. I just cast them and rolled them around in Lee Alox, then loaded them the next day. Also found I didn't have to resize even the necks of cases, as the "oversize" bullets (around .225") seated just right in unsized brass. The best accuracy turned out to be with 5.0 grains of Accurate 5744, for 1080 fps and sub-inch 5-shot groups at 50 yards. All my wheelweight metal came free (and still does, when I pick 'em up off the street), so the total cost per round is about a nickel. One of the best parts is that when the 3-9x Burris Fullfield II on the rifle is sighted-in 1" high at 100 yards with full-house varmint loads using 40-grain plastic tips at around 3000 fps, the cast load shoots right at the tip of the bottom post at 50 yards, with the scope set on 6x.

Also worked up a .22 magnum equivalent load with 8.5 grains of IMR4227 and some 45-grain Remington round-noses I got really cheap somewhere years ago. This load shoots even better at around 1750 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When the rimfire shortage hit I just kept shooting my 38 special's, a K38 revolver and a S&W 52-2. Loads were cheaper than over paying for 22LR. Latest is a S&W Model 53 in 22 Jet. Not as cheap as a 22LR, but WAY more Bang for the buck..

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for that info. I have not tried cast in a Hornet yet, it something to ponder.

I wonder if Mr. Kilbourne's spirit will be angered if I do this in a M54 he did some work on?

grin

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nah, but if it makes you feel better, make some jackets out of 22 cases. On the left is a 43 gr. .224 bullet made from a 22LR case. Trimmed to approx. 0.6 of an inch (8 grains weight). The rest is yer led. That should assuage the guilt.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
How do you get 'em slowed down that much?

7.5 grains AA#5, magnum primer, 55 grain FMJ.

Be not weary in well doing.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I favor the .22 Hornet for such work. Using a 55 grain Lee Bator cast bullet (actual weight with gas check 52 grains, cast from cheap or free wheel weights, sized .226), 2gr. Bullseye= 1080fps, 2.6gr. PB= 1200fps, and 6gr. 2400= 1600+fps. As per others results, the most expensive component is the primer (CCI small pistol) but whereas others opt out of using gas checks I do use them which increases the per shot cost another 2.5 cents. But, I haven't had to buy lead in years so that balances things out. I'm blessed with a superb 26" barrel on a (German) single shot, with a gain twist that ends in 1-9" near as I can tell, but with a large throat hence the large diameter bullet. It will shoot the low velocity loads into an average of an inch at 50 yards, 10 shots, which is ok but not great. Where it really shines is with the 2400 load which provides groups nearly half as big. Not really .22LR performance, rather more on the order of a .22RF Magnum. All in all I'm quite happy with the Hornet and cast bullets for cheapness, accuracy, and squirrel killing ability.

Accuracy with the Lyman 45 grain 225438 isn't as good, for me. Accuracy with a 60 grain RCBS mold is good but not quite like the Bator. The 52 grainers seem to fall into a sweet spot for my rifle.

I laid in several hundred new cases for this rifle. So far I'm still working on the first hundred, and the rest are getting dusty on the shelf. Without going back through my log and adding them up, I think each case has been fired around 20 times each and still going strong with only a couple failures due to operator error at the loading bench.

That said, I've often pondered the viability of dramatically shortening the Hornet case into something like the .22 Squirrel, only shorter. Say, something to perfectly contain 2-3 grains Bullseye/Red Dot/Clays, and with a nice long neck per the Hornet to nicely hold long-ish bullets. I like a heavier .22 bullet for added wind cheating ability when shooting at what passes for long range with such rigs. A barrel twisted faster than the standard Hornet 1-14 or 1-16 would be wanted for it too for dealing with longer bullets. So many ideas, so little time/money!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/04/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon the sideways shot...

[Linked Image]

The charge weight isn't quite accurate either though the rotor info is correct. I think it actually throws 5.6 or 5.7 grain of Lil'Gun. The charge was purely accidental but it seems to work very well with the Lyman 55 gas check bullet noted on the target. I did try using some 'softer' primers, but Lil'Gun in light loads doesn't seem to ignite well; CCI 450s are the ticket.

(BTW, this target fired at 50 yards.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/04/17.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
With decent .22 pellets costing 1.5-4 cents apiece, as opposed to 8-10 cents for .22s, a decent PCP airgun would pay for itself eventually, and knock the snot out of small game.

Good springers can be had for less, but they're trickier to shoot, can't be left cocked for long periods, and require "airgun scopes".

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So many ideas, so little time/money!

Here's a project you might take on Gary. Build a 25 ACP rifle. Go ahead! It'll be fun.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have plans to try some trailboss in 223. Got a little CZ carbine loads of cheap brass and bullets. Data suggests a 55 gr at about 1075 with 4 grains of powder. Plan to play around with cast probable a little bit lighter weight. Figure I should end up with a cheap plinker somewhere between 22lr and mag levels. Not 22 lr rifle cheap. But cheap enough to be a fun high volume shooter. Also can keep my stash of 22lr intact.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here's a project you might take on Gary. Build a 25 ACP rifle. Go ahead! It'll be fun.

When I was a young teenager, growing up in the sticks and knowing no one with any real knowledge about guns or reloading, my only source of info was whatever gun-related books the local library had in stock, and they were old then. I read everything I could get my hands on gun wise. I had a pretty vivid imagination too, so one day after probably reading an article on something like the development of the .357 Bain & Davis, I considered the posibilities. I wondered if I could be the first person to invent a necked-down .17/600 Nitro Express, and at the other extreme, why no one had built a .25 acp revolver or rifle?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yet another factor is that with Trump's election, rimfire ammo is becoming abundant and cheaper. So it depends on whether dinking around with low-powered handloads is worth it, as opposed to just buying a bunch of rimfires.

Personally, my wife and I are going out this weekend to shoot up a bunch of rimfire ammo at ground squirrels, and are not really worried about how to replace it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tackled this a bit differently, using the .25-20. I found both a Marlin 1892 Classic and an original Stevens 44 that has a relined barrel. Need to revisit load development for both of them.

The Ruger #1B is a bit heavy for a .22 Hornet, IMO, but I've heard they usually shoot well. I have a .218 Bee in the same and it is quite accurate, at least with full power loads. The Bee is arguably a bit better designed case, but maybe not so great at rimfire equivalent loads.

Brass was a headache for both the Bee and .25-20, but at least now Hornady has starting selling Bee brass, which can be necked up to make the .25-20

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My oddball answer to the question is an "0" buckshot loaded flush with the mouth of the case over 1 grain of Bullseye and shot out of a Martini Cadet. I dab a bit of liquid Alox on the buckshot after it's loaded into the case.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For me, anyway, the value of.22 rimfires is in the convenience, not the power level. A good supply of.22 rf means I can go out and burn up several hundred rounds in my.22 handguns or the grandkids can massacre tin cans all afternoon with their 1022's . Reloading little cases, casting little bullets, I have no time or interest in. Closest I ever came was developing an 1800 fps load for 63 grain Sierras in .222 for turkey/fur friendly purposes.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A custom rifle for the 5.5mm Velo Dog cartridge would precisely fit your criteria.

http://www.ammo-one.com/5-75VeloDog.html

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
25-20 with 3g of RedDot or 2.8 of W231 going by memory, and a 75grn speer. Or my full steam loads of 10.8 4198 75grn speer, or 11.8grn 4198 and 70grn blitzking. The first two loads sound like rimfire, but the last loads work just fine on rabbits and bigger stuff.

I also load a .223 with RedDot 6-7grns 50grn vmax for 22mag results.

257R 90grn hpbt Sierra 10.5-11grns RedDot duplicate 25-20 load levels. Slow enough that the bullet doesn't deform.

I do like the idea of a cut down Hornet case though. 50-55grn bullets at 1050-1400fps load range.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Oddball, are you related to Oddjob? laugh

I have had similar thoughts about doing the roundball thing and might well fiddle with that, but it does not present to the objective I ponder.

I get the sense of comments so far to be fair on topic of "alternatives" as framed by working with what's on hand. BTDT over and over and over again. Said previously that I'd not shot cast in the Hornet and that was incorrect. I fireform the K-Hornet with the Lyman 225438 and get respectable 100 yard groups and fair snappy velocity, ballpark 2300 fps, while using gas checks and Alox lube. It is the opposite direction from where I was looking at this. I mentioned the possibility of using jacketed bullets, but that that is not where I'll go with this, assuming I go anywhere at all. And yes, I've pondered the .25 ACP rifle, looked at the iterations of shortened Hornet cases, the .297-250 Rook (cases can be formed from Hornet brass) and worse.

Most of you know about my adventure with the .30 Sneezer, a project directed at a specific objective and one that was/is successful in my view. It was blooded recently, Dan 2 - Pigs 0. I fiddle with it in the never ending quest for, well, you know what I'm talking about, right? One of the outgrowths of the endeavor is recognition that with reduced charges/low load density, all loads/powders evaluated to date exhibit evidence of position sensitivity, this with load densities running approximately 35-75%. My holy grail has been to remain sub-sonic but the round certainly has the capacity to go faster, maybe up to around 1,400-1,600 fps with the 180 grain bullet. Likewise, the round if remarkably responsive to the different impulse provided by rifle and pistol primers, favoring the pistol primers by large margin. So, three brands of primers in both iterations, 2 different bullets in 3 different alloy combinations, and 12 different varieties of powder...they all work to get me to the minute of pig brain, but that is not where my thinking was oriented on this. Yes, I tried full cases of 3FG and 1.5 FG and duplex loads as well. Cleaning the suppressor in the dishwasher was the schizzle!

Today's review of .22 RF prices, specifically, Wolf MT shows prices of 6-17 cents/round + shipping, depending on source. Midway says it is discontinued? OK then, it isn't that much different from other price spreads. Don't know I'd call this representative of RF prices, but it is within the landscape. See this link: https://www.midwayusa.com/rimfire-ammunition/br?cid=7547

So back to the original quest. Seems to me there is some potential for this. A few years back Federal ran a lot of unloaded but primed RF brass on a special request and it was not a small lot of cases....that sold out pretty quick. There were a lot of cranks out there loading their own and getting impressive results, to include the use of BP in some cases. I suspect there is a viable market for this but am not settled on form. Market target? Why, cheap ol' cranky loons of course. Duhhhhhhhhh....

Dan

PS: I eschew the thought of heeled bullets by the way...

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/05/17.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bristoe,

I did essentially the same thing with #4 buckshot when experimenting with the .22 Hornet, though I squeezed them through a Lee .224 sizer. One grain of Red Dot got around 900 fps, but accuracy was only good enough for 25-yard shooting, and even then the shot needed to be sorted for uniformity before being sized.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've some experience doing that with the .44 mag in a rifle and it worked well. They were paper patched, dunno how queer that sounds but you can blame it on Ross Seyfried. Single balls shot well out to 50 yards at velocity under the 2000-2100 fps realm. They stripped at 2400 fps. Double ball loads were the curiosity. Consistently made two respectable groups (~1.5"), one on the 10 ring, the other at 10 o'clock and about 3-4" out. Never quite figured that out.

I also did a few mouse fart loads, but the paper patching of a round ball is....tedious.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bristoe,

I did essentially the same thing with #4 buckshot when experimenting with the .22 Hornet, though I squeezed them through a Lee .224 sizer. One grain of Red Dot got around 900 fps, but accuracy was only good enough for 25-yard shooting, and even then the shot needed to be sorted for uniformity before being sized.

The accuracy of the buckshot load isn't nearly as good as with typical bullets, but it's decent out to 50 yards if you keep the velocity low,...and keeping the velocity low is necessary if you plan on eating things you shoot with them. For whatever reason, a .322" buckshot exhibits a surprising amount of disruption when fired from the little Martini at about 1900 fps.

At about 30 yards they'll explode a grapefruit. A couple of them virtually disappeared. I'd guess that a squirrel hit anywhere except the head would leave little for the cookpot after being hit by one.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Esoteric.

This is stuff I did in our basement when the folks were gone. Got a hold of some ~ .40 cal Minnie balls (conicals, Civil war era imitations)), where I don't remember, and loaded them in an emptied 410 shot shell. Have no idea of their weight but probably more than the three-inch shot load held.

I knew enough to know they had to fit through the choke of my H&R single shot but not much more.

Was amazed and then distressed that they penetrated my barrier of whatever and then went into the wall of the basement.

Gee,..now how do I fix this up? 😜🤔😀

My apologies for the side track.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/05/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah yes, round ball revolver loads smile

Speer used to publish round ball loads for the .44mag, using .433 dia round balls. Sometimes they worked okay, and made a plunk - whack at the indoor range, plunk for the discharge and whack as it hit the paper a 1/2 second later. Drew lots of curious stares smirk

At one point I had a squib load, in the 6½" S&W .44 I was using. The ball stopped 1/2 way out the muzzle, which at least made it somewhat easier to grab & remove. Also filled the barrel with 1/2 burned Bullseye, which for the record, smells bad smirk

I abandoned that project at that point. I notice Speer doesn't publish the loads any longer, either. It might be fun to revisit it with Trail Boss, Titegroup, or something else position insensitive. smile

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
George De Vries,

Your story reminds me of shooting half a Q-tip halfway through my hollow closet door from a .22 rifle. It was powered by a .22LR cartridge with the bullet pulled and the powder dumped out--just the priming. I had tacked a shoe box full of wadded newspaper(evidently not wadded tight enough) onto the closet door for a target. The half Q-tip penetrated the lid of the box, the wadded paper, the bottom of the box, and the outer plywood layer of the door. From a distance of eight feet, maybe. Like you, I was amazed and distressed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here you go. The flintlock version of a 22. With 32 caliber patched round balls it can be a 22 CB short to a 22 Magnum depending on powder charge.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the 38 special comes closest as a replacement. 3-4 gr of fast to medium fast powder under a 100-150 gr cast bullet makes for an outstanding small game load. Once fired brass is dirt cheap and plentiful and plenty of good molds available. Yes, more labor than just buying a box of 22's and takes up more room in your pocket, but it's a good option when you're looking for options.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
Here you go. The flintlock version of a 22. With 32 caliber patched round balls it can be a 22 CB short to a 22 Magnum depending on powder charge.

[Linked Image]

Exquisite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Esoteric.

This is stuff I did in our basement when the folks were gone. Got a hold of some ~ .40 cal Minnie balls (conicals, Civil war era imitations)), where I don't remember, and loaded them in an emptied 410 shot shell. Have no idea of their weight but probably more than the three-inch shot load held.

I knew enough to know they had to fit through the choke of my H&R single shot but not much more.

Was amazed and then distressed that they penetrated my barrier of whatever and then went into the wall of the basement.

Gee,..now how do I fix this up? 😜🤔😀

Reminds of trying to fireform a 218 mashburn bee case in that garage. It's been many years so I forgot the exact charge but around 5 gr of red dot under a 60 gr hollowpoint which I figured was enough to get the bullet out of the case when fired from my 10" contender. That it did, and it managed to penetrate three 2X4's, a 4X4 and when it hit the concrete floor it was still going fast enough to crater the concrete and expand to the size of a quarter.

Lesson learned, don't fire a projectile from a firearm unless you have a suitable backstop.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you George.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Popped into Wally World for some WD 40 to spray down the Ranger and eased over to check out ammo. They had 1000 round boxes of Winchester 40gr 22lr for $50 and some change. Bought 2 leaving another 10. That's right at a nickel each.

More winning

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

Mart, that is way too simple as solutions go. Really.

Your Loony Friend,

Dan

PS: Nice flinter, very nice indeed! Did you notice the lock is on the wrong side?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ploughman
George De Vries,

Your story reminds me of shooting half a Q-tip halfway through my hollow closet door from a .22 rifle. It was powered by a .22LR cartridge with the bullet pulled and the powder dumped out--just the priming. I had tacked a shoe box full of wadded newspaper(evidently not wadded tight enough) onto the closet door for a target. The half Q-tip penetrated the lid of the box, the wadded paper, the bottom of the box, and the outer plywood layer of the door. From a distance of eight feet, maybe. Like you, I was amazed and distressed.

Take a close look at the target and ammo. 4mm translates to .17 caliber on this side of the pond. Primer propelled only, ~800 fps out the muzzle....over the Chrony.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
PS: Nice flinter, very nice indeed! Did you notice the lock is on the wrong side?

Actually I noticed the lock is on the correct side. Most people don't realize this but everyone is born right handed. Only the truly gifted among us recover from it to become correctly handed. smile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Fall 2016 issue of Classic Arms Journal has an article by Hamilton Bowen on loading black-powder .22s, unfortunately using primed cases acquired by pulling regular .22s apart. The bullet mold he uses, and the crimping die might come in handy though, both from Old West Bullet Molds.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Revisiting an idea tried before in different iterations and looking for thoughts. In days past there have been several straightwall .22 CF cartridges, the most recent failure being the Cooper .22 CCM. They were in circulation and competing with an abundant supply of cheap RF ammo and fell by the wayside.

We have been on the wrong side of the price/supply equation for some years now and I ponder the viability of pursuing the idea once again. Rather than trying to recreate the Cooper round I'm thinking that the target for performance should or might be the .22 LR at the standard velocity range with 40-45 grain cast or jacketed .224" bullets, something that would be suitable for the handloading crowd.

Depending on a few variables, 3,500 - 7,000 loads from a pound of powder. Assuming $25/# we are left with about .35-.71 cents/round.

Total cost per round, excluding brass is about 4.85 cents per round. I figure brass life to be very long due to low pressures and on assumption of compatibility of die/brass dims. Lighter bullets or round balls might be driven with only a primer, thus presenting some additional cost reductionns.

Thoughts?

To this date, I stil don't know why someone hasn't taken the FN5.7 pistol round and started producing rifles for it.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rock island arms makes the 22 TCM in a handy little bolt action. The 22 TCM is very similar to the 5.7. But everything the 22 TCM can do, can be done by most any 22 centerfire if you handload. And do it way cheaper.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

To this date, I stil don't know why someone hasn't taken the FN5.7 pistol round and started producing rifles for it.

Well, there is the P90, with up to a 16" barrel. Quite the critter to shoot. I was amazed while shooting the shorter, full-auto version, that the red-dot sight never left the target. Really fun to shoot, and I'd guess effective. Never shot anything but targets with it.

Re rimfire alternatives - dang, I just buy & shoot 22 and .17 ammo. Hasn't been a problem getting it, at decent prices, for a couple of years. Made it through the worst of the shortage via a large quantity I'd built up, buying a brick here and there over the years.

Guy

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Custom 32 acp twisted for 70gr wadcutters to 90 gr pointed loaded to 1000 (or less ) fps in a T/C or repeater ( all it takes is $). Custom moulds of your choice. Cheap brass, cheap loads, as much as you want to spend on the rifle, cans, sights etc. Fun and cheap to plink with the ability to kill anything with head shots. It even has symmetry - 32 Automatic Crat Pacifier smile

Take a kid hunting!!! Old member name - Reloader - joined 2001
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guy,

As I noted earlier in thread, my wife and I plan to shoot up a BUNCH of rimfire ammo today, including both Long Rifles and ,.17 HMR's. None of it broke the bank, and the only load "work up" occurred when trying different Long Rifles to see which shot most accurately. (So far I haven't ANY inaccurate .17 HMR ammo. In fact I shot one round each of three different kinds at a 100-yard target on Thursday, and they went into less than an inch.)

But you know, and I know, and most others know that making things easy isn't always the goal of rifle loonies. Instead much of our lives are spent making things complicated, apparently because for some reason we have more fun that way.

This includes Campfire threads.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Bristoe, your balls are ready for the ball, hey? What did you coat them with?

I'm thinking (odd this early in the morning) a short version of the .22 CCM would be a path if any brass was available. Admittedly, the .32 Auto Crat Pacifier has a certain, well, mebbe delete the Auto part and it's the opposite of PC on several levels, and that ain't a bad thing. I like a little bit of rim though. Hmmmm.....

Just back from putting the mic on a few things and find the following numbers:

Small pistol primer diameter - .175"
Large rifle primer diameter - .209"
.22 LR case diameter forward of the rim - .225"
.22 LR rim diameter - .273"

Yeah, it needs a rimmed case. If a fella rolls with the LRP/LPP you might get some snappy velocity with nothing more in the case, especially with round balls. Helluva tool for introducing youngsters into the world of shooting/reloading etc.

It gives a bit of a sense of tedium unless one owns a Dillon or other high volume production equipment. On top of that, went out yesterday and cast up a batch of 200 Lyman 225438 bullets, put the gas checks on (they are destined for the Hornet) and sized the little buggers. Didn't know that fingers keep growing like ears and noses. Thinking there is one helluva marketing niche here for Hornady and the swagged lead bullets they sell. That would be for the well off amongst us, otherwise we can cast and move on.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mule Deer, sometimes you are remarkably perceptive.

-laffin'-

Breakin' the bank is secondary to occupying time and having certainty of availability. And world class precision. It isn't hard to equal or beat OTC rimfire ammo accuracy with handloads.

We get us another pinfire liberal in the Oval Office and this last run on ammo will look like a Sunday social.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

I just put a drop of liquid alox on the buckshot after they were loaded into the case.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yet another factor is that with Trump's election, rimfire ammo is becoming abundant and cheaper. So it depends on whether dinking around with low-powered handloads is worth it, as opposed to just buying a bunch of rimfires.

Personally, my wife and I are going out this weekend to shoot up a bunch of rimfire ammo at ground squirrels, and are not really worried about how to replace it.

I guess I march to a different beat because I started playing with rimfire replacement loads 4 decades ago and will continue to shoot reduced Hornet loads as a preference over full tilt loads, even if .22RF prices fell to 1966 levels.

Don't get me wrong- this in addition to the rf ammo I love to shoot also.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/06/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True, and having traveled that path with mediocre results it does not inspire. Thinking load density is key to success and a straight wall case has some advantage. I suggest, based on experience, this endeavor would favor cast bullets for the most part. Pounding a stuck jacketed bullet from a Hornet barrel is not a lot of fun. They tend to start doing that around 1100 fps in a Ruger #1.

I've had jacketed bullets stuck in the barrel of my Savage .22 H-P, and instead of pounding them out, I took a primed casing with a mild charge of a suitable powder (sans bullet), chambered it being careful to point the rifle slightly upward to prevent the powder from spilling out but not pointing skyward and then pulled the trigger.

Worked like a charm. It may or may not have been real good on the throat, but probably better than the damage to the rifling that would occur from pounding on a rod.

As for your original Q, I haven't done much playing around with this theory, but 5 grains of unique and a .228 cast bullet makes a great .22 H-P squib load. I'd imagine any other .224 centerfire and .225 or .226 cast bullet would be fine with 4-5 grains of unique. With .223 brass littered at every gun range, I doubt you'll ever run out of free brass if you went that route.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I just put a drop of liquid alox on the buckshot after they were loaded into the case.

Don't let this go to your head, but the picture makes it look like you have brass balls.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tinman, dat's risky bidness. Might be I'll try that next time though. It was 20 years back when I was poundin' the barrel.

I am..........disturbed.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Oh, for those long ago prices. I remember in 1957 the local harddware store was having their Washington's birthday sale(remember those) Winchester .22 Shorts at 25cents (regular price) but of one cent more, a second box.

During the mid 70s Shotgun News had someone listing 10,000 .22 Shorts for $100.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tinman, dat's risky bidness. Might be I'll try that next time though. It was 20 years back when I was poundin' the barrel.

Ya, not knowing what to expect, I put on some safety glasses, turned my head and fired from the hip...but it just went "pop" real quietly like the other squib loads (with the same 5 grains of unique charge and same bullet that was stuck for that matter) and all was well. Same everything as the stuck load...just more room for the gas to expand in the chamber and a portion of the barrel, so the pressure was much lower.

I certainly wouldn't try that technique with a full charge of a regular powder, but it got that stuck bullet out easy peasy.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Off on another adventure a short while ago at the load bench and wound up doing some rearranging of misc. stuff. Came across a long forgotten bag of stuff that had two cartridges, a .25 ACP and .32 Short, a Colt cartridge if memory serves. Dang it....I might get in trouble yet.... Didn't know it but that little ACP has a bit of rim, about .020" over belt diameter.

I am..........disturbed.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
So does the 32ACP. That's why you can shoot them in your 32 S&W Long handgun.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am speaking out of ignorance here, but I'm wondering if this idea might have some use for me in regard to squirrel hunting. I've got a dandy Ruger American Predator in .223. I have an endless supply of .223 Rem brass. I've got 8 lbs of Universal Clays, but I could probably get a pound of something else for the task if needed.

What would be a good load for a 40 grain bullet driven at 22 lr or 22 Mag velocities?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Interesting stuff here; good to know perhaps for the next supply calamity, and fun to play around with. Also useful for those of us with nice rifles that don't get used much otherwise and could be put to use for small game. Honestly though, anyone that gets caught short again only has himself to blame.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by shaman
I am speaking out of ignorance here, but I'm wondering if this idea might have some use for me in regard to squirrel hunting. I've got a dandy Ruger American Predator in .223. I have an endless supply of .223 Rem brass. I've got 8 lbs of Universal Clays, but I could probably get a pound of something else for the task if needed.

What would be a good load for a 40 grain bullet driven at 22 lr or 22 Mag velocities?

Down here in the flatlands only rimfires are allowed for squirrels. And shotguns of course. Check your local game regs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
oops. Checked. You're right. Kentucky wants rimfire only. Drat.

It's still a good idea for blasting ammo. What's a good recipe?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
12.5g IMR 4198 & 50g NBT

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11174113/1

I use 13.0g IMR 4198 & 55g Horn SP w/c @ 2.190" COAL. It shot 0.620" for 4-shots at 50 yards. That bullet at regular .223 speeds was a poor performer in my gun (1.93"-2.85" 4-shot groups @ 100 yards). You can find it at Midsouth Shooters Supply for about $23.50 per 250 or less than 10c a bullet.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, and that's with a CCI 400 primer and FC brass. It clocks right around 2,100 fps which puts it square in the middle of the .22 WMR and the .22 Hornet. Not a bad place to be for a small game or plinking load.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Too much powder and too much lead, but it might be suitable for Jurassic Squills.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just did a remeasure of that group, the numbers didn't look right. Think about .18". There are two pairs with the .12" spread, but widest spread is the larger number.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Azar
12.5g IMR 4198 & 50g NBT

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11174113/1

I use 13.0g IMR 4198 & 55g Horn SP w/c @ 2.190" COAL. It shot 0.620" for 4-shots at 50 yards. That bullet at regular .223 speeds was a poor performer in my gun (1.93"-2.85" 4-shot groups @ 100 yards). You can find it at Midsouth Shooters Supply for about $23.50 per 250 or less than 10c a bullet.

Had forgotten that thread, not a bad read at all. Didn't see any leopard print though.

Shaman, WAG on my part but you'll be looking at something around 5 gr for starter to find a ballpark load for .22 LR velocity. Probably less, but I'm disinclined to lead you down the path to stuck jacketed bullet in the hole. WMR velocity range will be more tractable. If you have a access to cast bullets of proper dimension, think 2-3 grains for starters.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Too much powder and too much lead, but it might be suitable for Jurassic Squills.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just did a remeasure of that group, the numbers didn't look right. Think about .18". There are two pairs with the .12" spread, but widest spread is the larger number.

Scale it down to .22, Dan, and you would be in high cotton. Exactly what I was opining about above.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Is what I'd like to do. Puzzle about a case that suits.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dan,

Have you played with Trail Boss powder in any rifles yet. I just started using it in some handguns and am going to try it in some rifles for low power loads.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A wee bit with TB, found it functional but never quite hit a home run with it. Close friend of mine thinks it the best thing since peanut butter. My primary observation was the velocity spreads were large and accuracy so so.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
gnoahhh, my own prejudice on the topic, but I would prefer a straight wall case and may accept a caliber larger than .22 before all is said and done. I blanch at the idea of a custom case hand crafted by gnomes. I'm guessing at the end of the day that I'd go larger caliber before necking a case down, but cannot deny either. .32 Wesson short might work, but brass is a conundrum, or .25 ACP. Could tweak that one with a little bit of choke in the case mouth and still have some capacity. Or no choke and just live with a 50-60 grain bullet. Recollection has it the .25 is a truish .25, something like .251" diameter, +/-...Yep, SAAMI sez so. Barrel in .251" groove is going to be a quest. .22-.25 AI Squill Smasher?

.32 Short Colt looks more groovy...if I'm going to neck it down.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/08/17.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Remington Golden Bullet 36gr .22 LR at Academy Sports is $28.99 for 525 rounds, with free shipping. That makes it about 5.5 cents per.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the suggestions re: light .223 REMs. I may give that a try this summer.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dan, any obscure sources for Velo Dog cases? Perhaps an old eccentric hermit someplace with a thousand vintage cases in a bag weighing down his collection of S&H Green Stamps?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Been looking for a case of VD without success. That doesn't sound right? Yeah, it would do very well and I'm sure they are out there somewhere. Imagining conversation with the custom crafters of dies, reamers and such....needing those things for a VD short. laugh

Working this out is interesting and educational. Looking at alternatives without guardrails last night and my eyes settled on a shotgun primer I had just removed from an old Alcan 16 ga brass shell. One measurement led to another, and another and....hmmmmmmm.

Small rifle primer nominal diameter .175"
LRP .210"
Shotgun primer .228" on the forward end, .305" on the rim
Fired 22 brass
- case mouth ID ..205" (CCI Quiet, fired but the crimp still remains
- OD .224"
- rim OD .273"
- case length .605"

Standing by for a stroke of genius.....or just a stroke...

I am..........disturbed.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I've got the makings of a Rem #4 in 25-20. Seems a good choice to me. Wanted a 22 straight walled case, but 25-20 is old school cool too.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are you sure a #4 Rolling Block has enough moxie to contain a .25-20? They were only made in rimfire chamberings, and not of the highest quality alloy steels at that. I guess if you kept handloads down to rimfire pressure levels you might get away with it, but what if/when it falls into the hands of a yahoo who tries to ratchet things up? Remember, it's only the pins that support the breech block and hammer that absorb the backthrust of the cartridge's discharge, and those pins are mighty small in a #4. If you tried that trick with even a #44 Stevens, which at least has a modicum of receiver support for the breech block (if fitted up properly), every critic with a conscience would advise against it.

Best to barrel it as a .22LR, stick to standard velocity ammo, and call it good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
I've got the makings of a Rem #4 in 25-20. Seems a good choice to me. Wanted a 22 straight walled case, but 25-20 is old school cool too.

It's NOT,.....and you just had some very good advice offered, by G.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Privi Partizan used to load the velo dog. I e-mailed their marketing dept. asking if there was a possibility they might produce it again noting there is no other source at this time.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Met a guy at the local trade school a few years back. He carried a velo dog revolver chambered to hold 8 rounds of 25ACP.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My bad, #2. Had a 1, 2, 4, and 6. Got confused.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OK then, only 20 lashes with a wet noodle. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
My bad, #2. Had a 1, 2, 4, and 6. Got confused.

That's better,.....

A SUPERB choice !

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I always thought something like the old .25 Stevens with a CF primer would be the diggity for small stuff. But I may be prejudiced. Grand dad used one to kill hogs when I was 8 or 9 and some of his hogs ran over 500 pounds. Made quite an impression on a young kid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Stevens 44, in .25-20 smile

[Linked Image]

reminds me I need to revisit load development with it smile

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Have one of those in .25-20 SS that is a fair shooter, but all I've done with it is BP loads on the 100 yard line. Offhand. Good for about 8" groups of 10. I enjoy it and consider relining the barrel with the same chamber. Dunno I'd say I haven't looked at it in context of the discussion at hand.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
From one day to the next I live with certainty that few original thoughts exist these days, and sure enough this road has already been paved.

Meet the .220 Rook

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.220_Rook

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's a couple bricks of them at the LGS. Want me to grab them for you? Boxes are a tad time worn, but the ammo should clean up ok.

The last original thought occurred in June, 1972, in an inflatable in the middle of the Niagara River.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/10/17.

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
That 44 is ugly.
You want my #2, let's trade.

The 25 Stevens deserves to live again, or a 25 -17WSM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan,

Upon reading up on the Velo Dog yesterday I also came across the .221 Askins. That's even closer to what you are looking for then the Velo Dog, but considering it's based on the VD case it would be even more work/rare. The .221 Askins is the VD case cut down and the rim filed down to match the .22lr profile, but a CF cartridge...

All the work of obtaining and then modifying cases (not to mention the firearm) would undoubtedly negate any cost saving in making a CF .22lr...

But it is kind of neat.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/askins.htm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I think the 38 special comes closest as a replacement. 3-4 gr of fast to medium fast powder under a 100-150 gr cast bullet makes for an outstanding small game load. Once fired brass is dirt cheap and plentiful and plenty of good molds available. Yes, more labor than just buying a box of 22's and takes up more room in your pocket, but it's a good option when you're looking for options.

Worked for me in a Winchester 1892 rebored to .357 .....

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Azar, thanks for that. Had not heard of that variant of the old V-D. Obviously a game changer. laugh

Were I to stumble across an ample supply of Dog cases I'd roll with that. Anyone have any idea what a limited production run might cost and who would do it?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quality Cartridge made Velo Dog brass a few years back. They don't currently list it at all though.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks again, have phone, will call.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Each time I think of what I want next for a plinker I look over at the Marlin 1894 357 Mag and smile. Brass is everywhere and cheap. Powder is everywhere and at 5gr drops is cheap. Lead bullets are everywhere and 158's are cheap. Less than 12 cents per shot and I'm not melting lead. Oh yea.

All American

All the time
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thoughts?

Don't be bashful, I can take a jab or two

Dan, there really isn't any viable competitor for the 22lr niche, that said a 22 hornet as a pair for the 22lr will pretty much cover whatever you are attempting to do...just don't bother chasing velocity with it like most do.

Top rifle is a Brno ZKW 465 in 22 Hornet, bottom is a 1958 Brno model 5 in 22lr...pretty much covers what I want without chasing my tail.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Of course, if the object is to chase your tail then a Martini Cadet in a 357 necked down to 224 would be a lot of fun...whole bucket loads in fact.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V
Each time I think of what I want next for a plinker I look over at the Marlin 1894 357 Mag and smile. Brass is everywhere and cheap. Powder is everywhere and at 5gr drops is cheap. Lead bullets are everywhere and 158's are cheap. Less than 12 cents per shot and I'm not melting lead. Oh yea.

+1
That was a project of mine last summer, only I was doing the cast lead thing as well. The cool thing is that I can carry a handful of lead 125's for plinking and keep a few of my green powder-coated 158 grainers handy loaded with H110 and start knocking on 30-30 levels.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to mention the fun factor! And kids love it

All American

All the time
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As much fun as a .38 or .357 is when shooting plinker loads in a rifle, if searching for a .22 substitute those cartridges miss the point. Consumption of three times the powder and three times the amount of lead per shot is not a substitute (save perhaps in terms of the fun quotient). The closest we can get to Dan's request for a solution, in a current factory cartridge, is the .22 Hornet shooting home cast bullets over a pinch of pistol powder. Replacing cast bullets with jacketed stuff or store bought cast stuff in the Hornet defeats the purpose by increasing costs dramatically (relatively speaking).

By doing everything yourself (casting, loading, etc.), using scrounged lead that is free or virtually so, one can equal or beat the cost of average .22RF ammo-- the wrench in the works is the time spent doing it. If one views that as a hobby and treats it as one would any other handloading venture/experiment in chasing pure accuracy it makes total sense. If one's goal is to prepare plinking ammo for blasting tin cans, golf balls, rocks, and pine cones at 50 feet (wherein I bet 70% of RF ammo gets wasted in this country) then it's a losing proposition- save your time and buy a brick of Walmart .22's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These days, there seems to be LESS time than more, for pursuing this particular grail.
Look, this whole small bore center fire stunt assumes a good, and continuing source of primers.
I'm going to assume the continuing availability of building supplies.
When (and if) the window of opportunity to do so re-opens, I intend to try fitting a Ram Set cartridge into a sleeve,.....the composition of which is as yet undefined. The sleeve has to obturate, stay with and seal itself to the base of the Ramset charge, and as well hold and align the cast projo correctly in the throat of the( also as yet undefined / blueprinted )chamber. Then there's the sticky wicket posed by extracting the spent, "case".
I can tell you that initial ventures with pest control shot loads in quarter bore have been VERY encouraging.
Been using poly tubing,....don't like it at all, and know that what's needed is a paper "sleeve" ,....were it nitrated, or otherwise impregnated and formulated to be consumed during the launch cycle,....so much the better. Option B. would be to have re-usable metalic "sleeves", and proportion one's chamber for that fire mission.
For rifled arms, I think the degree of ballistic uniformity that's an essential design parameter in the Ramset charges will be a real accuracy edge. 5 different power levels to choose from covers a lot of ground,....from subsonic levels and up.
....interesting muse, this one.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

By doing everything yourself (casting, loading, etc.), using scrounged lead that is free or virtually so, one can equal or beat the cost of average .22RF ammo-- the wrench in the works is the time spent doing it. If one views that as a hobby and treats it as one would any other handloading venture/experiment in chasing pure accuracy it makes total sense. If one's goal is to prepare plinking ammo for blasting tin cans, golf balls, rocks, and pine cones at 50 feet (wherein I bet 70% of RF ammo gets wasted in this country) then it's a losing proposition- save your time and buy a brick of Walmart .22's.

Scrounged lead is hard to come by in these parts. The place that don't sell to a scrap dealer all seem to have somebody lined up. For my purpose, small game shooting with a Hornet, the price of jacket bullets isn't a problem. You can get a lot of bullets, especially if you wait for sales, for the price of a Lyman mold and handles, not to mention the added cost of non-scrounged lead. My favorite is the 46gr FP Speer made for the .218. Last ones I bought were about $.14 each. It's no great trick to get other ones for $.10 or so if you are patient. SPS seems to have lots of blem and overrun Varmageddons available.

I wouldn't try to get a jacketed slug down in the .22LR velocity range, but 2000 or so is good and should be enough for the odd turkey, fox, or 'yote.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I wouldn't try to get a jacketed slug down in the .22LR velocity range, but 2000 or so is good and should be enough for the odd turkey, fox, or 'yote.

....a full 1200 FPS OVER the velocity window we're trying to define with SDs and ESs in the single digits.

Not just accuracy,....EXTREME accuracy.

Gratifying to see the amount of interest in this quest, that's actually laying barely dormant, and just awaiting the right growing conditions.

GTC

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Midsouth's .224 Varmint Nightmare bullets are always available at under 10 cents apiece, with the 40-grain hollow-points regularly priced at around 9 cents.

On the other hand, I just did an Internet search this week for .22 Long Rifle ammo, and found several brands available for under $30 a brick, including a couple around $25. It looks like the price is dropping, at least for now. I didn't buy any because I didn't need any, though it might have been a good investment if another buying panic occurs, for whatever reason. A bunch of shooters still refuse to buy ammo via the Internet, with some of them still haunting Wal-Marts.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Keith always said the .32 Long was very accurate and I think it was used in competition for a while. My limited use has always been favorable on stuff like crows and groundhogs.

Why not load it down to about 950 fps with a 98 grain SWC for suppressed use on stuff smaller than pigs?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
YES !

.....let's here it for the .313 to .316" groove dia !

Based on recent evolutions and devolutions, I'm planning on assembling a Stevens 44 in one of the 32s,....the 32 S&W short being my own particular choice. Still looking for a Moison or SMLE barrel to turn down into the liner / insert, all the rest of the plunder's on site.

GTC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I must say this has been one of the more edifying threads to come along in while.

I too have a soft spot for .32 "bunny rifles" , and have a Stevens 44 too that may get turned into one (actually a 414 Armory with a bad bore), but I'm not ready to abandon .22rf's so it may get relined instead.

I have a Martini Cadet on the chopping block that I would love to have a half dozen interchangeable barrels made for: Hornet, 5.6x50R, .32 Long, .22 HiPower, .25-20, and .357 Max. But unless Daddy Warbucks writes me a big check that's not happening.

As for cheap/free lead, it's still out there. I was having new tires installed recently and came away with two 5 gallon buckets of wheelweights for $20/ bucket. Two weeks ago a friend laid 70 pounds of Linotype on me. All that translates into about 200 bazillion 50 grain .22 bullets. (All that on top of the roughly half ton of lead I already was sitting on.) Be persistent, think outside the box, and be ready to get your hands dirty, and the lead will find its way into your gun barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
As much fun as a .38 or .357 is when shooting plinker loads in a rifle, if searching for a .22 substitute those cartridges miss the point. Consumption of three times the powder and three times the amount of lead per shot is not a substitute (save perhaps in terms of the fun quotient). The closest we can get to Dan's request for a solution, in a current factory cartridge, is the .22 Hornet shooting home cast bullets over a pinch of pistol powder. Replacing cast bullets with jacketed stuff or store bought cast stuff in the Hornet defeats the purpose by increasing costs dramatically (relatively speaking).

Well, if we're looking for 22RF subs, then the logical choice for me came with the 357's I already load for, 3 revolvers. The 357 lever rifle made it easy to avoid the higher cost of 22's a couple years ago, if they could be found at all. How easy to run these through my Dillon 550 and shoot em all in any revolver and the lever. Easy peasy....and only dropping 5 grs. Not three times the powder charge. And let's not overlook the search for components is not a hunt at all.

I still got to shoot those 243 win 55's I loaded with Blue Dot.

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This gets more interesting with each contribution and educational to boot. Having spent several days hopping around cyberspace on the quest I find several things of note. There is hardly a shooting forum out there that does not have substantial discussion in the archives on the topic. Will throw a couple of thoughts out for consideration and see where it leads.

Every cartridge serves a purpose, a niche sometimes larger here and smaller there. No need to illustrate it really, but there are a lot more .243 Winchesters afield than .460 Weatherbys, etc, etc. I've no doubt the .22 RF is the largest segment in production over the scope of the marketplace.

Gnoahhh just reiterated a valid point regarding the direction I'm headed....SV .22 RF equivalency that can be reloaded. I don't care necessarily that it be .22 caliber, but I do look at the playing field and see potential success defined by the ease by which something like this might hit the market. I note that a vast supply of .310" diameter buckshot is out there, and recognize the potential for folks to fiddle with such things such as a ".30 VD" roundball load.

When I did the cost calcs on the OP I was looking at current costs for available components and materials, AND the fact that such things might be available when other supplies were not, such as .22 RF ammo as recently experienced. I've not bought any .22 LR or Short ammo in years other than a chance purchase of Norma Tac about 3 years ago. I don't shoot it much and that is tempered by the recent shortages. I do shoot a lot however. That begs the question is such circumstances, what am I going to shoot? Availability notwithstanding, the cost of reloading anything has spiraled upward in recent years by significant degree. As example I've seen bullets suitable for the .416 Rigby "on sale" for $3/piece quite recently. Why bother with that when the dreaded CB short will cap a hog easy enough?

I have played the reduced load/cat sneeze game like most here and while it works, I've seldom seen it work with aplomb. Good enough for a pest? Yes. Good enough to brag about? Not so much or very often. Been there with the Hornet, .25-20 Win, .30-30, .38 Special, .44 Mag and so forth. Problem at hand for the most part, assuming that fine accuracy/precision is desired, is a complementary load density for the objectives at hand. There have been a number of small capacity .22 cartridges introduced in my life, some have been successful, most not so much. They have focused on velocity realms in the range of the .22 Hornet and upwards. Fairly stiff competition if one is going for a bit of snap in the velocity spectrum, no?

So, how does the world turn with .22 RF guns? Price a brick of .22 short ammo these days, or perhaps a brick of high quality LR match ammo. Uh...."gasp" comes to mind. Yesterday, on sale, CCI CB Shorts were available (for the first time in awhile) at around $12/box of 100. Ho Li Gasp'nmoan. Will it always be like this? Probably not. Do we need to be cornered like this in the future? No.

Here's a premise I've based my inquiry on: If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing correctly. That would mean putting all shots in the X-ring in a metaphorical sense. Nothing is perfect for all applications, but reasonable goals can be met or exceeded. Conceptually the .22 rimfire is a stroke of genius, but it has baggage. The heeled bullet is one aspect and high precision is a demanding pursuit. Mass production introduces variables which confound the pursuit, and if one is intent upon high precision with the cartridge, it is not cheap in any regard.

So, how does one segway into a new market niche with success? I'm not perfectly certain on this, but have a few thoughts. Accept for the moment that gun cranks are often capable of producing superior ammo to the manufacturer given and opportunity to do so. There are folks out there disassembling .22 LR ammo, rebuilding it and shooting remarkably well with both smokeless and black powder. It's a hobby pursuit, it is time consuming and something that stems from the "I can do better" mentality. What they are NOT doing is reinventing the wheel. Col. Askins' modification of the 5.75 VD into a spec .22 RF equivalent is an example. He won a national match in the end by doing so. He used a .22 RF gun that was slightly modified, converting it to CF configuration, case closed. He spent considerable effort in modifying the VD case to make it work, but in the end it worked within the framework of existing components and platforms.

I am not caliber allergic and have no vested interest in one over the other except as a matter of practicality. I was thinking ".224" bullets" when this started, but give it a thought or two. Do I/you want to invest the time in forming cases and modifying guns and so forth? Not so much. I'm looking for a straight path to create a reloadable .22 RF alternative for reasons previously stated. Here's what might work: A .22 LR equivalent case, CF primed, that uses SAAMI spec diameter bullets suitable for current production .22 RF arms....without the heel. We are talking a very minor excursion of dims alteration here, most in the brass wall thickness and bullet design. At the end of the day, Ruger, Remington, Winchester et all can manufacture arms with existing tooling and provide options which enable straightforward conversion. Ammo .22 RF spec dims? Put the CF bolt in your 10/22 and rock on. change the bolt in your Savage and go shoot something. Need bullets? Hornady has been selling swagged lead bullets all my life.

I can do it in my own way because I have a single shot rifle. Simple action alteration makes it optional for many. It is a marketing suggestion as much as anything. Sort of like having a revolver which shoots the LR and WMR, though it will shoot better because cartridge dims are compatible.

I'm doing a variation of this dance with the .30 Sneezer at present and it has been quite interesting....and rewarding. My per round costs are about in the 10-12 cents/round realm at present. I cast my bullets, form the brass, load and shoot. Yesterday it lead to a .233" group of 5. Second, third and forth place were less that .6" groups of 5. Pigs have died as a result.

Thanks for joining the discussion, I think the idea is worthy on large scale and certainly doable at a lower level. BTW, BACO has VD brass available....at about $2.50/case.

I am..........disturbed.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I may still do a long barrel 25ACP in a single shot that could serve as a 22RF alternative. Need to check off some other things before get to it, then find a platform to handle the semi rimed case.

Only issue there is .251 cal jacketed are hard to come by these days (although I have about 700 xtp's here) so casting would be in the future.

BTW, Dan, you are one of the few gents here that can fill a screen with text, and still make it coherent and readable.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you. I suspect your challenge with the .251" groove will be finding a barrel long enough. Went down that trail about 5 years ago trying to restore a .297-250 Rook, could not find the tube anywhere. Mebbe fudge it and go to .257"???

I am..........disturbed.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thinking a barrel from a 25 Stevens may do. I know where two complete Stevens tip ups in 25RF are at right now...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's a couple of rimfire alternatives. I played with some Trail Boss in my Browning 53 32-20. Definitely rabbit worthy. Groups shot at 25 yards and the rifle wears a Lyman 66 receiver sight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mart; 05/16/17.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
Thinking a barrel from a 25 Stevens may do. I know where two complete Stevens tip ups in 25RF are at right now...

Can advise that , while they may be absolutely FINE barrels, with many years of cast bullet shooting ahead of em'....shooting jacketed through them will be an unkind move,.....

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Funny sidebar from a similar discussion elsewhere is the thought of reloading .22 RF in existing form. Kit in the market with all the bells and whistles, to include the chemistry to make priming compound. Not going to do that myself or encourage kids to that end, but it illustrates...something. Interest in the pursuit. I'll link it later, on the phone in a boat.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a couple of rimfire alternatives. I played with some Trail Boss in my Browning 53 32-20. Definitely rabbit worthy. Groups shot at 25 yards and the rifle wears a Lyman 66 receiver sight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've got a beat up Savage 23 that I can use. Looks like it was an old barn gun Sub Sonic hand loads are not much louder than a 22 RF.

It's my...ahem...backyard deer rifle.

Dan

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mart, you be havin' fun with that rig!

In the interest of clarity regarding my objectives, the price issue is but one part of the puzzle.

My earlier estimate was something just under 5 cents/round, loaded and ready to pop. That was based on costs of .03/primer, $2/# of lead and 1-2 grains of powder in the range of $30/#. I recognize the prices are variable based on supply source and in fact may present somewhat differently. As example, 1# bars of pure Pb from Rotometals on today's menu is $2.99. Yesterday a local friend purchased 100# of roofing lead (functional equivalent to pure Pb) for $60. Depending on source tin can run $10-20/#. It's ballpark estimating and no inclusion of energy costs or time are included. I suggest that might be a wash in some cases with shipping for more sophisticated supplies. I do not see any financial incentive to using more components than required. I do not suggest a larger caliber won't work, but it will certainly cost more. I can cast 149 bullets of .224 caliber and 44 grains lead with a pound of alloy...and that is significantly cheaper than on sale specials for jacketed bullets. Roughly, 2 loaded rounds for the cost of one jacketed bullet.

Availability is a central issue. Are primers available? Rimfire Ammo? The proposal adds redundancy and properly crafted I doubt it will be an expensive entry. For example, add a CF bolt to a 10/22, buy a mould and set of dies.

The stipulated velocity realm is subsonic. That is my choice and your whims may differ. No objection on my part to that point, but as previously stated, I've traveled the road with results below my acceptable level of performance. If I want .22 mag/.22 Hornet velocities I will load and shoot them. There are both advantages and disadvantages to either side of Mach 1. Which way you drift on that is likely as much an issue of what you do and where you do it thing than any other influence. With a velocity of 1050 fps my Sneezer bullet has a calculated BC in the high .300 range. It drops off quite a bit above supersonic velocity and that is the nature of that form of bullet with a flat base. It does not suffer mach buffet or changes in aerodynamic moments at sub velocities. So far, it is pretty much as accurate as anything I shoot.

After some batting around of the idea I'm growing more convinced that should it ever develop it will be a useful and popular niche if it can integrate into existing platforms, action style be damned. Yes, I can and you can, do it wild and enjoy it. I'm looking for an opportunity suitable to the masses.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/16/17.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One comment I recall from Hornady's manual on the .25 ACP was that reloading it "was not particularly rewarding" grin Typical powder charges were miniscule and the cases hard to handle.

Funny you should mention a .30-something. There is a .300 Rook here that needs shooting.

[Linked Image]

by accident I discovered I'd bought the rifle in this video:

I've loaded some 50 rounds with commercially available brass and bullets. I'm not terribly optimistic the bullets will go where aimed, as the Buffalo Bores are exactly .300 diameter. Need to slug the bore. If one could swage a 0 or 00 buck ball into a suitable bullet, seems it would be fairly cheap and faster than casting.

Not suggesting the .300 Rook case will be a good choice in the long term smile but maybe a variant of the .32-20, or a shortened .30 M1 carbine case, could be an economical case for such a round. smile

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
DD- If you're suggesting a commercially produced round, I would think that the .22 CCM would be the best starting point. Shorten the COL to fit through long rifle length actions and keep the pressures in the .22 RF levels and you could re-chamber existing RF rifles and modify / replace bolts for a center fire pin.

One problem that I encountered when I was developing RF equivalent loads for the .22 Hornet was the lack of availability of commercially cast .224 bullets. I can't see re-loadable .22 LR equivalent being a success without commercially available cheap bullets.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gadfly, I have pondered the .22 CCM and it has merit on several levels. Point taken about the commercial availability of cast .22 bullets, it is a thin set. I'm thinking I could take the marketing rep for Hornady out, get him or her drunk and laid (in either order) and they could buy a new set of dies for their swaging machine....win/win in my opinion. Add a couple cents to the cost of bullets, but I'd tolerate it. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tex, good luck with the Rook...and I'm jealous.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Swaged .224 bullets would be awesome. Apparently casting .224's is a bitch? Another advantage I see for a shortened CCM is the ability to use a carbide sizer. I bet I'm not the only one that hates lubing cases.

ego operor non tutela
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Speaking as a caster who regularly casts .22 bullets and doesn't feel handicapped doing so (it's not a bitch, in fact I think it's easier but that's me), I would welcome a cheap source of commercially swaged soft bullets. By cheap I mean cheap enough to make me feel comfortable spending money on them to abrogate the time/labor in casting them myself. I'm sitting on enough lead to sustain my shooting for the rest of my days, all of which cost me little or nothing, but what I'm valuing more and more as I get older is time.

If I were King (don't laugh, it could happen) I would decree that such .22 bullets be made available to everyone at low cost, along with Everlasting cases with powder capacity approximating .22LR brass. (An Everlasting case is/was a heavy duty case that didn't expand much, if any, under pressure of low-vel target loads, not requiring a trip through a sizing die, with a ledge built into the case below the mouth upon which the heel of the bullet rests when thumb seated.) Such a case would be a lot more substantial than a .22LR case- undoubtedly longer and bigger in diameter (and as such encompassing enough girth to support a primer, perhaps a new primer smaller than the current .175 diameter primers), but with a small internal volume sufficient to hold a pinch of Bullseye powder. I would issue an edict that gun chambers be cut to minimum dimensions to further guarantee that these Everlasting cases last forever. In the Royal Chambers we would use these guns with .22 roundballs and just the primer for propulsion, to shoot targets, Royal Rats, and serfs who were slow on their feet. Go ahead- elect me king. You're welcome.

An Everlasting case requires no loading tools other than a means to de- and re-cap, and a dipper with which to dispense powder into the case, and a tiny funnel. This isn't a new idea, they were extensively used by centerfire target shooters a century ago. Everything needed for a day of shooting contained in a cigar box. (Ten year old boy to perform the grunt work while you shoot, optional.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/16/17.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Smilin' here, very well put!

.224" cast bullets. Even a caveman can do it....

[Linked Image]

King of the not so original idea,

DD

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/16/17.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At least 95% of what you two are trying to accomplish can be done with a good PCP airgun. Good ones are nearly silent, available in (at least) .177, .22, .25, .30, .357, and .45 calibers and as accurate as any human can hold, in field positions certainly. My jury is still out on whether they're use on large game is "sporting" or not, but they're absolutely capable of taking stuff at least as big as turkeys cleanly. The better guns are beautifully engineered and will last a lifetime, at least.

On the down side, they're butt-ugly, to my eyes anyway, often heavy and unwieldy, and don't generate the soul-satisfying smoke and fire of firearms. They also lack the rich history of regular firearms, although I'm sure there's a bit of that as well, just not generally known.

None of this is meant to discourage the fun you guys are having, only to point out an option for those who want to send lead down range and are looking for options. Airguns can do that for them and only require the ability to write a check.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pappy,

Some handloaders prefer making the process complicated, while at the same time talking out of the other side of their mouth about making things simpler.

I have a not-very-expensive .22 caliber break-action air-rifle that groups as well as my .22 Hornet cast-bullet handloads, which is to say pretty damn well. The last batch of "ammo" I bought for it cost less than $15 for 500, ready to shoot. But obviously it's not a repeater, and doesn't need powder or a primer, so is too simple.

I also already described how my cast .22 bullets are most accurate in my Hornet right out of the mold, not sized or gas-checked. All they require is rolling around in a little Lee Alox. They seat perfectly in fired, UNSIZED Hornet brass, and get around 1100 fps with 2 grains of Red Dot, and pressures are low enough the cases are essentially everlasting. With primer and powder they're about as cheap as the air-gun pellets. But apparently they're either too simple or too complicated, depending on the individual handloader's perspective.

Last night I came up with another idea that might solve the "problem" of casting bullets. Hopefully know more later today, after a trip to the local big city, a metropolis of 25,000.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've read the article where you first told that story about a dozen times, and have a copy in the binder where I keep my Hornet data.

Honestly, for the number I need for the field, it's more cost-effective, and way more time-effective for me to use sale bullets for my reduced Hornet loads than to invest $100 or so in a mold and handles, not to mention scrounging or buying lead. I never ran short of .22s, and am well prepared for any future panics. I fully understand the blessings of tinkering, but sometimes I just want to shoot without a lot of fuss. Ain't getting any younger!

My airgun is an RWS 54 recoiless springer. I scoped it originally, but now it wears a circa 1968 Redfield receiver sight that fits the dovetail. I keep it in my basement and take a few offhand shots at a .22 trap placed at 10 yards when I go down there for other stuff (and remember the right pair of glasses!). Offhand, I shoot as well with the peep as I could with the scope.

Waiting eagerly to hear the results of your Big-City excursion.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some handloaders prefer making the process complicated, while at the same time talking out of the other side of their mouth about making things simpler.

Oh dear.............I'm remembering a plaque behind the desk of Kelly Johnson who founded the Lockheed Skunk Works and designed a couple of aircraft which are legend. It said, "SIMPLICATE!"

John, I flubbed up at the start and suggested I'd not shot cast from the Hornet, and corrected myself later. Lyman 225438's of #2 alloy for fireforming a K-Hornet. My 50 yard groups just reviewed are not unlike your report, though they were many shots dedicated to forming, not a measure of precision. 30 or so in 2" groups and though I don't consider that a test, it is a ballpark reference. I have one string of 5 on a target that measures just sub inch so I'd call that in line with your findings. While useful it does not vary that much from previous experience with other cartridges, nor rise to the level of utility and precision I have in mind. As example, from my T/C Contender, .22 CB shorts, the hog whacker got a check on zero after a through barrel cleaning.

[Linked Image]

It is only in recent weeks that I've seen CCI CB Shorts available in the marketplace, this after several years of zero availability. Most other styles of short ammo were likewise not available.

My Hornet is a Model 54 that had the chamber recut by Mr. Kilbourn. It is a beaut, but not what I'd think of as a work-a-day .22 rifle for pests, plinking and knock-around activities. Nor were other Hornets I've owned in times past.

Apologies tendered if this presents as trying to make a simple solution complicated, that is not my intent. It is merely a search for an alternative that is compatible with existing platforms and perhaps useful to those many shooters out there that survived the .22 RF shortage and associated higher costs of ammo then and now. I did not have this objective in mind when the discussion began, and recognize one can, to some degree, modify and/or download other cartridges with some success. That implies one off production and custom tools. I'm looking at complimentary utility and flexibility in a single production package at this point. Something the industry might find useful from a marketing perspective?

After my second cup of Joe today I went out to the load bench and did something new. Pulled out the 'stuff' and set about finding out for myself how the basic capacities and relevant dims compare for the LR and .25 ACP cases. Measured some capacities as well, at least to the best of my ability to contrive. I do not claim high statistical accuracy here, just ballpark numbers.

Case Capacity, fired CCI LR SV brass defined at 100% load density w/o charge compression

WW231 - 3.1 grains
Bullseye- 2.8 grains
Lil Gun - 3.9 grains

It was quite a bit more capacity than I anticipated. I assume the loads for factory production are in the 1 grain range but have not pulled bullets to weigh the charge(s). So, in some cases we get relatively small velocity spreads with low density of charge. That tweaks my curiosity a bit.

The .25 ACP and .22 LR case are within a very few thou of the same length. I suspect the internal volume with seated bullet is similar. Lyman 49 suggested loads for a 50 gr. bullet in the ACP are 1.0-1.4 grains for both WW231 and Bullseye, with max load velocity 750 fps +/- 2 fps

Anyway, that's my drivel this AM before a full dose of coffee. I heard a rumor when I was young that Orville and Wilbur thought building roads was a tedious exercise and did not get to the point of expeditious travel. Their thoughts had a profound impact on my life.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My choices are down to choosing .257 or .316 for groove dia,.......and will be taking everything that gnoahhh's fresh post on everlasting case design to heart.
.....hell, was pretty much there myself , as regarded small primer fitted cases.

GTC

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

So you want a rimfire-power rifle that's really cheap to reload and provides close to benchrest accuracy, but the bullets have to be really cheap so you can match cheap .22 Long Rifle prices. Oh, and it can't be an airgun, because that would be too...what?

Sounds like you really want an expensive rifle project that will last until the end of your days, in order to produce reloads that MIGHT cost less than .22 rimfire ammo.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dan,

I know not everyone has access to lead inexpensively, but I have a couple thousand pounds mixed between pure, WW and linotype. To date the most I've paid for any of it has been 10 cents a pound, which is what I paid for the linotype. Market price on lead was 11 cents that day (20+ years ago) and he rounded it down to 10s cent and had 984 pounds. Here's a break down based on what my components cost me, realizing the lead is almost cost free.

2.5 grains of Trail Boss comes to .008 (five pound container @ $116)
90 grain bullet @ 10 cents a pound = .001 - between the powder and the bullet we can round up to 1 cent
New Starline brass bought in a batch of 500 comes to 2 cents based on 10 loadings.
If one catches the S&B primers on sale at Cabelas, they can be had for 2 cents each, otherwise figure 4 cents.
My 32-20 load is costing between 5 and 7 cents a round.
22 LR locally is running between 7-10 cents a round.

I know the cheap lead skews the results but if a guy is diligent deals can be found on lead.

Mart

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Sometimes I get the impression that some people are just, well, hostile, to small-game centerfire rifles and the efforts of some shooters to get/devise one.

"Center-fire rifles are for DEER, damn it. There's .22 LR and airguns for everything else. And quit trying to prove otherwise!"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Dan,

So you want a rimfire-power rifle (YES!) that's really cheap to reload (can be) and provides close to benchrest accuracy (why not?), but the bullets have to be really cheap so you can match cheap .22 Long Rifle prices (No, so I can beat high prices and solve availability issues AND provide a supply option to the gun owner). Oh, and it can't be an airgun, because that would be too...what? ( I have an airgun. I would not shoot a hog with it.)

Sounds like you really want an expensive rifle project (no) that will last until the end of your days (no), in order to produce reloads that MIGHT Will cost less than .22 rimfire ammo.

Edited to spare all from a 12 chapter reply. laugh

John, I'm nothing special in the shooting world, I have had varied experience just like everyone else here. I've watched the industry do some crazy things in the sense of marketing and product introduction, many of which have failed in short order. I don't know my idea is all that nifty, but I see a window of opportunity which would, in my opinion, be quite popular.

I'm way past the point of equating velocity and FPE to success in the shooting world. Out west you folks see for miles and miles, down here it's measured in feet in the swamps, sometimes yards but not all that often. Quiet precision is a major advantage. I learned that one morning as I shot 5 hogs with the Contender without taking a step. A 200# boar, 175# sow and three of her litter running about 30# each. #4 went 'wee-wee-wee' all the way home. The gun can shoot CF or RF, I like options when the supplies grow scarce.

I imagine that others would rejoice if simple conversions were available, if for no other reason that there are a lot of loonies out there and EVERY ONE of them has a .22 RF gun.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have owned and loaded for too many rifles chambered for other small centerfires, including the .25-20 and .32-20, to be "hostile" to small centerfires that aren't .22's. I'm just wondering why spend what will probably be considerable money just to be able to handload cheaply--and the rifle probably will have to be pretty expensive in order to shoot super-accurately. Then there's the expense of a wildcat, which I know all too well.

But if I was bound and determined to create such a cartridge, I'd probably cut off the .22 Hornet case enough for minimal case capacity with .25-caliber bullets. None of my several references on wildcat rounds list such a creature, but it's probably been done already.

It would then be possible to get a Hornet rifle rebored to .25, whether for airgun pellets or .257 cast bullets. Both cases and rifles are pretty common, and reboring would be reasonably inexpensive.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Trailblazing always costs a lot, and not just in money.

I would be happy to see something like what Dan is proposing as something different, particularly if loading can be done at the shooting range without the need for a press and dies. Many a pleasant day I have spent at the range with but a single cartridge case, can of powder, primers (and the means to de- and re-cap), measure, and a box of cast bullets- be it with a single shot employing breech seating or a bolt gun with a carefully prepared cartridge case and carefully sized bullets. For me, carrying that to the next step would be with tiny cases and .22 bullets.

My rimfire shooting consists mostly of experimenting with various heavy(ish) rifles and paper targets. Tin cans, pebbles, and pine cones are pretty safe from me. I don't waste (much) ammo on plinking and a serious system the likes of what Dan is proposing is right down my alley. The bulk of the rimfire ammo I shoot runs well over $10/box, and the thought of cutting that cost in half (eminently do-able) is appealing- not to mention combining it with my other passions which include bullet casting and reloading.

Besides, I get bored easily and the thought of something new that's also practical excites me.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/17/17.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

Ah, now we're getting somewhere! How many other shooters do you know who'd be interested in such a conversion?

By the way, I don't hunt only in the wide-open West, and even there's plenty of use for quiet precision.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, hmmmm, all of them. Yankeetown is a curious place. There are none here in the community unarmed, and most of the gents are collectors. They are all handloaders. The mayor packs a heater. She is a very sweet gal. There's a little petite old gal that serves on the town council who might weigh 90# dripping wet. Hunts deer every year in Maine. With a Sux 700 .30-06.

Your question is valid, but I'm the wrong person to ask. We have more military arms here than Ft. Benning. The town next door is a bit younger in population and we have two gun stores. Then right there in the middle is Crackertown.

Hold my beer!

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/17/17.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So are you thinking of a bolt-action rimfire with another centerfire bolt? Or perhaps a Contender carbine, so you can just flip the hammer face?

Am sure you're aware the Cooper .22 CCM didn't take over the shooting world, even with all the loonies around.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
John, I'm old enough to never be 100% certain of anything.

The .22 CCM is, in my opinion, a perfect illustration of ill conceived marketing strategy. I thought as much when it was introduced and apparently the Gods agreed. It goes to the point of what I have suggested here, but on a level where competition is fierce. That population starts on the low end with the .22 WMR and wanders up to the .222 Rem maybe. My emotional reflex when I first saw it was "I already got a Hornet, and can cover a broader range of performance." I note as well the CCM was in the market well before the recent debacle with RF ammo transpired.

If inclined, take another look at the info related to the .221 Askins. My read on that was the ammo matched .22 LR dims, functioned thru an existing platform (Woodsman?) and required they trim rim diameter on the brass and modify the bolt. Very straightforward proposition for a qualified 'smith. If you have a spare bolt in original condition and add that to the travel box, you have the option of CF or RF shooting with the same arm. There are a great many rimfire guns out there of varied action designs that have easily removed bolts. The bolt actions obviously, a number of autos, leverguns and then there is the Contender cross dressing hammer selector. My own gets exercised with some frequency. Such thoughts evolved in the course of this discussion, but were not on the table at outset.

I guess and speculate, and know a few things I rely upon in the decisions made daily. Some of my crutches have my steering wheel.

I can load ammo at my convenience
I can and do load ammo for my rifles that exceed the performance of factory production ammo insofar as precision is relevant. Seriously guilty of loading jacketed bullets too.
I can and do make so good bullets from day to day, cast and swagged. They have in the past perforated the X-ring at 200 yards.
I am not alone or unique in regards to the preceeding.
It is frustrating to see the "Not in stock" banner whilst ammo shopping

What I'd like to see develop is an alternative that provides redundancy and the ability to rise above the issues recently experienced by the shooting public. There be a reason that commercial aircraft have more than one engine. At present I see the idea as potentially very well received and a good marketing option. It won't cause a lot of top tier engineering, nor will the package be expensive on the front end.

By the way, I've seen some of your close cover out west and know you don't spend your days wandering in the open deserts. It is....God's country. We have places down here were you can see 200, 300, or even out to 500 yards sometimes. They are called golf courses.

Finally, I attacked my stash of 225438 bullets and gas checks this morning. Was dismayed to find that when that bullet was designed and the gas check geometry settled, they didn't have enough vision to realize that with very minor change in dimension the gas check shank diameter would have been a slam dunk for mating with .22 RF brass as a heeled bullet. Dang it....mics at .208" as I recall. It's close though...recalling the case wall of .22 brass being .010". I can accept a heeled bullet and the CCM (maybe) or Velodog case could serve as prototype stock.

You should see me go after 3 cups of coffee...

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My approach

Hammond Game Getter, comes in many different chamberings

Hammond Game Getter

He includes a swaging die so you can tap through buckshot to size to the appropriate diameter. That said, I used .310 diameter Hornady Muzzleloading Roundballs (.310 diameter). I didn't size them at all and they fit nicely in the case neck.

I tried initially on another target and a center hold put them at the bottom ring (about 1" low). New target with sight almost at top ring. 3 shots at 20 yards using Brown (power level 2)

[Linked Image]

Completely penetrated a pressure treated 1x4.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wife said 'You didn't shoot the eye out', which I didn't with the 4th shot on target, but good enough.

[Linked Image]

It was a HOOT to play with.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup,....now we're back into the Building supplies sourcing,....the common "Ramset" charge.

As noted prior OUTSTANDING ballistic uniformity, on a shot to shot basis.

.....DIRT cheap, when properly sourced.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dayum, that is cool stuff I never heard of....thanks.

Talked earlier about that variant of the pursuit and some of my most convenient success came from a round ball load in a .44 Mag case. Balls were something like .433" diameter and I sized them down to .430", loaded and shot. The sizing puts a wee belt on the ball which is easy to align. There were a couple of grains of Bullseye under them but they shot better than most of the cartridges explored. They weren't "cat sneeze" at all, more of a "hog fart".

I'm wondering...if I got another phone call in the cue. Awaiting one from Grand Island, NE at the moment.

I am..........disturbed.

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
damint now I have to have one of those.... this site is going to break me cry

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

Yep, the Cooper cartridge's "marketing" was a flustercluck from the get-go, mostly because of Cooper himself. I got to know Cooper some in the couple of years before he departed the company, and the only reason Cooper rifles back then made any headway was their quality. It sure wasn't due to Dan Cooper's marketing skills, and certainly not his people skills, which were just about non-existent. One good example was the time he accused another company he partnered with on a gun-writer prairie dog shoot, where Cooper brought several rifles for field-testing. On the last evening one of the Cooper rifles couldn't be located right away, and he accused the other company of stealing it--but within a few minutes it was located in one of the SEVERAL trucks used to transport people to the shooting grounds. Even so, the Cooper cartridge just might have made it during the recent shortage, despite Mr. Cooper.

I'm quite familiar with the 225348, as as previously mentioned found the one's from my mold shot from my Ruger No. 1 mostly accurate as-cast, without sizing or a gas-check. But the heel of bullets from mine, cast from wheelweight lead, averages .220", indicating Lyman may have dinked with the design some.

If you'd like me to, I could mention your concept to a few people in the industry. With the low cost of some very accurate bolt-action rifles made today, it would be pretty easy to make one with two bolts for not much more--and with the volatility of American politics, another rimfire debacle is very possible.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steelhead,

Thanks for that. That was neat to see. I enjoy learning new stuff about this hobby, even the esoteric stuff.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And as you see, it uses the Ramset blanks (I use the browns)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
John, I would appreciate your discussion with such folks very much. Mentioned earlier that I await a call back from Hornady and may touch base with a few others, but it will not carry the weight of your thoughts/suggestions. Tell them if they do it, they will make money. Shazaam!

I guarantee it actually, I'll send them some of mine. I'm as lazy as anyone if I have an easy path before me.

D

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

Will let you know what transpires!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Scott,

I have a Hammond for the .308 Winchester, which works pretty well, especially in my Merkel single-shot. But I've never found accuracy to be what DigitalDan is looking for, in fact have found it about the same as yours, which is fine for 25-yard shooting on small game but not much more. In fact have never been able to do significantly better with buckshot in reduced loads in several cartridges, even after carefully sorting the shot for uniform weight and diameter.

What kind of groups do you get at 50? Or have you tried that far?

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are there any current sources for .22CCM brass? I did a quick search (on GB) and found some for a buck apiece- anything else out there?

A quick Google search for Ramset blanks turned up prices in the $8-10 range per 100. Is that the general "on the street" price for them? My thoughts immediately turned to having a rimfire single shot chambered for them with a standard .22 throat of say .225 or .226 (to utilize an as-cast soft bullet), and proceeding with the breech seating approach. Seat bullet in the throat/leade with an insertion tool- simple lever arrangement or a push tool- then insert case with powder (or Ramset cartridge), and shoot. (Oh that poor old Stevens 44 that keeps calling out to me for resurrection.) A quite common practice when single shot target rifles ruled the shooting ranges a century ago. Admittedly not for the rapid fire tin can plinker or the hunter stumbling around in the woods, necessarily.

Money no object: build a single shot .22 or .25 target rifle with false muzzle and muzzle load the bullet, using a Ramset cartridge for propulsion. Shades of H.M.Pope, Schoyen, et al!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/18/17.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hi Scott,

I have a Hammond for the .308 Winchester, which works pretty well, especially in my Merkel single-shot. But I've never found accuracy to be what DigitalDan is looking for, in fact have found it about the same as yours, which is fine for 25-yard shooting on small game but not much more. In fact have never been able to do significantly better with buckshot in reduced loads in several cartridges, even after carefully sorting the shot for uniform weight and diameter.

What kind of groups do you get at 50? Or have you tried that far?

No, I haven't tried it at 50. I'm guessing they'll drop pretty fast, I figure it is what it is, fun and quiet for short distances. I might give it a try at 50 to see.

Last edited by Steelhead; 05/18/17.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, for what I use mine for (mostly whacking forest grouse and the occasional rabbit) the accuracy's fine, since they're almost always within 25-30 yards, and often much closer.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Shades of H.M.Pope, Schoyen, et al!

Gad Zooks! I knew this was coming, sure as sunrise. laugh

I have one of those, a Barry Darr build with a .38-55 Basic, .40 caliber 350 gr greaser with a pointy nose and a false muzzle. Boom! It is a curiosity. It was built on a Highwall action, sports a Unertal celestial observatory and even though it can plink a flea on a squirrel's back, it is a little bit much for field craft.

I like your style. grin

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
All of this talk has made me curious about what kind of accuracy I can achieve with the buckshot load in the Martini if I really worked at it. I never considered the load to be anything but a quick and dirty way to shoot my Martinis.

Mine have always been excellent cast bullet rifles,...probably because of their extremely smooth, lazy twist barrels.

The problem I encountered early on with the load was the inability to get consistent ignition of the propellent. The 50 grain ball which is only slightly in contact with the rifling just doesn't create enough pressure to successfully use anything but small doses of the fastest handgun powder.

I tried small charges of Blue Dot in some once with the idea that a slower powder would start the ball down the bore less abruptly than a faster powder and might allow faster velocities without causing the ball to strip the rifling.

Didn't work. After a few rounds the front of the bench was covered with unburned flakes of Blue Dot.

I think I'll try Titewad next. I've had a lb rattling around in there for a while. The manufacturer says not to use it in anything but shotgun loads,....but you know,..

I've found that it works well with HBWC's in the .32 long.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Are there any current sources for .22CCM brass? I did a quick search (on GB) and found some for a buck apiece- anything else out there?

https://www.buffaloarms.com/22-cooper-centerfire-magnum-cases-22ccm

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bristoe,

The tentative conclusion I came to with buckshot in "modern" rifles is the rifling twist is too much for fine accuracy, especially since buckshot tends to be not quite as uniform a round bullets. Generally I've used a big enough size to be able to swage them down just enough to get firm contact with the rifling.

One of the semi-successes was with Hornady swaged 00 buck in a Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP. Was trying to work up a cheap practice load, and 3.0 grains of Unique matched the velocity of the Speer factory load, and shot a little better. But it sure wasn't a "long range" load!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bristoe,

Ah! I was going to suggest the next size up and swage it down. In my case it didn't help much but I didn't work with it. More or less figured the twist was too fast, like ball versus conicals in a muzzle loader. Be careful with Titewad, think Bullseye. Notes say Titewad is extremely position sensitive, in an 8mm x 57 "cat sneeze" round anyway.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, just in the spirit of things I'll throw in two bits on shooting balls in guns meant for conicals. Always figured that all the ways to skin that cat had not been explored, then I read a Seyfried article in Double Gun Journal wherein he paper patched a round ball. Oh Jesus.....

I started with a .433 Speer ball supply, picked up a custom .422 Lee push thru sizer.....why? Because that was my go to diameter for PP conicals and if I'm gonna...

It was tedious but educational. Did a WAG on the charge, set the ball(s) in a lightly flare case mouth, nudged them down to about half way in and did a mild taper crimp. Yes, they fed fine thru the 77/44. They went boom and crossed the Chrony at about 1800 fps as I recall. Saw no need to pursue the load further as the first group was in the 1.5" range at 50 yards. There was a hint there I did not pick up on right away. You see, I wet patch, dry and then finger lube PP rounds with a 50/50 Beeswax/Vaseline lube.

The next logical step was two balls stacked which equaled about 240 grains of lead. Rolled the dice and used a charge of what I dunno, probably 2400, that was the suggested start load for that bullet weight in one of the Lyman manuals. It was amazing. Two of the prettiest groups you ever wanted to see on the 50 yard line, one fairly centered and the other out to 10 o'clock about 3, 4, maybe 5". Both groups were in the 1.5" range, maybe 1.75". Velocity was in the same range as I recall, about 1800 fps.

I thought "Hot Dayum! I got a hog whacker!". So I did the next logical thing, loaded a single ball with what I thought was max load. It crossed the Chrony at 2400 fps and did not strike the target or backer. I have no idea where it went.

Subsequent to that I have shot .22 balls in the Hornet, .25 ball in the .25s and .310 balls in the thutty-thutty. They worked so-so to the point that I carried it. 3-4" 50 yards groups then it bored me. Time passed. Ancient defeats bubbled in the background. I purchased the Zimmer previously mentioned and the seller suggested that I grease my balls when I loaded.

"With what?"
"Whatever you want. I use SPG, just a wipe with the fingers and go."

He was right about that, not only on the Zimmer, but on other balls as well. It is not a Galactic scope of improvement, but definitely noticeable. Another free tip: It works on .22 RF ammo too.

Just about any style of lube will do the trick.

I say unto thee, "GREASE THINE OWN BALLS!"

It is glorious!

Dan

PS: Please note that most of my rifles are not as twisted as all y'all's. However, my weird little Zimmer which is stupid accurate, has a 1:7.5" twist. That's pretty odd for a ~100 year old gun.

Haven't figured out how he put 12 grooves in a .17 cal barrel either. They aren't shallow grooves. The bullet exits the barrel looking like the trimmed pine cone from hell. If you use a magnifying glass to look at it.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/18/17.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dan,

If you'd like me to, I could mention your concept to a few people in the industry. With the low cost of some very accurate bolt-action rifles made today, it would be pretty easy to make one with two bolts for not much more--and with the volatility of American politics, another rimfire debacle is very possible.

John (the wise?),

Have you recently spent 40 days in the desert eating grasshoppers?

That statement seems quite prophetic.

Geno

PS, any young folks reading this might just want to take note if you shoot rimfires wink

PPS, I would also appreciate you bending an ear or three as such a rifle might be very desirable for a guy like me who will be retiring to that infamous Left Coast state. The centerfire reloadable option will be a boon, assuming the availability of suitable light weight non-tox bullets to feed it. (Varmint grenades perhaps?)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
See if you can figure out swagging bismuth.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See if you can figure out swagging bismuth.

Moi?

As if I NEED another project for my retirement?

Not a bad idea however.

Will I need an engineering degree? My biological training doesn't go too far along the lines of "exotic" metal forming.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

I've used SPG to lube all my balls--well, not all, but those in shooting experiments. Dunno if it helped, however, as I didn't compare results with dry balls.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Much less friction with sweaty balls.

If they ain't sweaty you ain't doing it right.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wonder if a felt wad under the ball would help. Sabots come to mind too.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Felt wads are good stuff for a number of applications, card wads also. I've not tried it with balls, but ...

BP and flat base bullets get a card wad if loaded via cartridge or ramrod. The muzzle loaders get a lubed felt wad and card.

Smokeless lead from a straightwall case, greaser or paper patched get a card wad. Soft lead and paper patch prospers immensely from a card wad if you drive it hard. 300 grains/1600 fps from a .44 is hard. I suggest to you able bodied and competent casters, that if you have not tried paper patch it is a worthy endeavor. Take 90% of what you know about nekkid grease groove shooting/loading and stuff it in file 13.

Bottle neck cases get a hearty Hail Mary!

Don't use card/felt with a suppressor. Not evah!

A lubed felt wad might work with a round ball but you'll need to keep the powder off the lube. Mebbe a Dacron tuft betwixt would do that.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/18/17.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never tried paper patching. Been threatening to for .30-30, .30-40, etc. but...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OK, I'm going to hijack my own thread briefly.

Paper patching is caveman country. Read: Not rocket science. Careful oversight of dims and patch material is wise. Paul Matthews worked up a good book on the topic..."The Paper Jacket".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is a hunting load.

[Linked Image]

Back on topic: I just know I can beat this with my .22....CF

[Linked Image]

Apologies to those paying attention. The target above was erroneously reported elsewhere here on the 'Fire as 10 shots and that is incorrect. 5 shots is the number, verified from the log book. 50 yards, Rem 513S, Wolf MT. The X-ring is 3/8" diameter, you can figure the group dims.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That sounds suspiciously like engine room wisdom. laugh

-Laffin'-

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh Shades of the Saturday Night Live "Schweddy Balls " spoof of National Public Radio. From 1998 when they were still funny. Worth a look if you don't remember it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That sounds suspiciously like engine room wisdom. laugh

-Laffin'-

I learned LONG ago to trust your snipes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We (the black gang) make the best coffee, too.

GTC

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Hats off to the all the Black Gang guys! I got to work in the boiler room of the Forrest Sherman (DD-931) for two weeks on a Middie summer training cruise. Some good guys down there. That was decades ago but I still remember that the watch supervisor was a First Class PO Finlayson (?).

Holy $hit, the temperature in some areas of the boiler room was 140 + if I remember correctly and even got to spend some time cleaning firesides (I believe that's what the term was). I looked like I had rolled around in someones fire pit afterwards.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I tried cast bullets in the hornet and just couldn't get good accuracy at the lower vol....if your thinking a load for small game to replace the 22lr ..their is a good thread on the Marlin forum on the 25-20....I have a cast load 85 gr bullet I think 1200 fps super accurate out of my 92 and is great for small game....biggest cost is the primer..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I tried cast bullets in the hornet and just couldn't get good accuracy at the lower vol....

With the Lil'gun load I posted on page one, switching primers completely ruins the groups. I didn't make note of which primers I had shot some of the first groups with - I only knew they were silver. When I made another batch, I used Federal pistol primers thinking I had used a 'milder' type with the low charges in that load. My groups became very erratic so I tried the CCI 450s, the only other silver primer I was loading Hornet with. Those brought the groups back together again, something that was kind of a surprise given the small charge of powder involved. (The charge thrown was with the #5 rotor for the RCBS Little Dandy measure; the target says 5.8, but I believe the charge is actually running 5.6 or 5.7 grains.)

I'm sure I can fiddle with those loads even more and find additional improvements.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Un-huh....primers.....

Just yesterday I finished a phase of load development for the Sneezer that after some 500 or so rounds with various powders, primers, different alloys with two bullet styles, shenanigans related to case prep, neck tension exploration, and...more....I finally settled on a number of loads that will be go to standards for the cartridge for purposes of the mass slaughter of feral swine. One of the front runners is L'il Gun. Blue Dot gets high marks as well. Once I jacked up the load density sufficiently AND used the correct primer, IMR 4227 began to hum.

Getting past the emotion and reducing myself to the simpler statistics I came to the conclusion that Hell will freeze before I purchase another lot of Winchester SPP or SRP. Praised be unto Zeus that I have an M1 Carbine which is of a non-discriminatory mind and cares not that all the holes aren't touching.

That said, I was stirring the pot yesterday, looking for my .22 RF alternative and perhaps invented a new round. It is what I'll call the .444 Marlin CB Short. It is of the same case specs as the .444 except the case length is much shorter. A fella can use .44 Mag brass, or even .44 Spec. if inclined. Velocity is within reasonable range of the infamous CCI .22 CB Short, or high 600's thru upper 700's, mebbe pinchin' 800 a little. Bullet is a 320 grain cruiser I designed and Steve Brooks worked up a mould on. Double duty Hindenburg if you pistoleros are interested. It has been a special purpose success.

[Linked Image]

So yesterday I'm out there with vast diligence working on the .22 Alternative Improved and came up with this on the 50 yard line. Just a first jab and worthy of further examination.

[Linked Image]

My estimate of costs:

14 cents/bullet based on lead/tin cost of $3.00/$20.00/pound. That can be reduced as tin is not necessary at this performance range, so lets call it 13.5 cents per bullet.
3.5 cents/round for powder (Blue Dot) and 3 cents per primer.

So, it's about 20 cents per round for cast lead home loaded mayhem. Yes, it is twice the caliber and 8 times the weight, but I'm not sure it factors to greater deadlines in linear fashion. It does meet standards for precision however.

And yeah, I screwed up transcribing the data on the lower pair.

I need another cuppa Joe,

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Thoughts?

A slingshot and small rock is even less expensive and it's effective too!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yer a funny fella.

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I got lucky on the rimfire alternative. I used a small charge of green dot (I think) to form cases for my .218 mashburn bee. Just for the heck of it I shot them and accuracy was pretty decent. Like others, I found that it is just about on target if I use the top of the bottom vertical duplex post at 50 yards. I used hornady bee bullets with the big hollow points so i can tell them apart from full power loads. I think velocity is higher than .22 lr though. getting down close to 1100 fps might be tricky with my simple methods and jacketed bullets.

The .444 big bore squirrel blaster is a cool idea!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that 444 would be great for barking squirrels. barking with a 30-06 works fine so that big ole 444 punkin should set up a shock wave to beat all.
i tried barking once with my 45-70. aimed a smidgin high. no bark blast but plenty of squirrel mush.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried that a couple times with heavy artillery, with much the same results. Plus, it always gave me a slight case of the willies sending a big chunk of lead sailing off at an optimum trajectory for long distance unknown carnage.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Funny (?) thought about that "shot a bullet into the sky...." thing. When I first began to work up the bullet for the Sneezer and had a general form established, I began doing some calculations for BC via online resources.

[Linked Image]

It's 183.5 grains, SD of 276 and BC calculated at .386 or there abouts if started in the subsonic range of 1050 fps. I did not believe it frankly, but several different calculators opined similar numbers. Ballistics sez...............at 1000 yards it would lose about 250 fps velocity. The prolate nose form and flat base do well at those speeds. Drops are hysterical...

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you figure out the barrel angle needed to achieve a 1000 yard hit? laugh

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No, but I know max depression angle before I shoot myself in the foot.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Rainy day and a good time to look under rocks for answers to puzzles on this topic. Heretic that I am, four long rifle cartridges were disassembled today for inspection and measurement. I learned a few things along the way.

Hey, last time I pulled a rimfire bullet I might have been 18 or so...

[Linked Image]

The victims and specs, such as they are, follow in LR order of the photo. I will post the mic'd diameter of the bullet heel but see no use in the information due to distortion from pulling same from crimped cases.

Old school Winchester EZXS in the 50 round yellow box: Heel - .180-.190"; case wall .008", charge weight 2.5 gr/~60% load density

CCI Quiet: Heel .198-.202", case wall .008", charge weight .55 gr

Federal Auto Match: Heel .204-.206", case wall .008", charge weight 1.4 gr.

CCI SV: Heel .197-.201:, case wall .008", charge weight 1.0 gr, Load Density ~40%

The bullet/case diameter for all but the CCI SV was .224". The CCI SV case was .224" and the bullet .2235"

Logic suggests the heel diameter prior to mutilation should be .208". Having no frame of reference I was somewhat amazed to see common aspects of some components. All bullets had a cupped base that was close to a full hemisphere in form. All cases were primed with what appeared to be the same light green priming mix despite the age of the Winchester sample. Sticker on the box said $1.29 and the bullets had converted their copper wash to a white powder fungus looking mess.

The exercise raises a question for which I have no answer. How did Col. Askins pull and reuse the bullets successfully for his .221 Askins? I define "successfully" as winning the championship at the match referenced previously. Did he sneak in a swage die we don't know about? laugh

The array of powders found in the cartridges just amazes me. The dark powders at each end of the array are quite similar in appearance and ridiculously fine, almost a true powder, or dust like. The CCI Quiet powder looks a lot like a flake version of Trail Boss. Number 3 looks a bit like WW231 in form but the color is quite a bit darker than 231. Lots of graphite on #2 & #, otherwise not a hint of that in the other two.

I'll be back in a day or three with a sketch of what might serve the cause and we can have us a "design a new cartridge" contest. First prize is a plastic hula girl for the dash of your truck.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Fifty years ago, when I was a young trooper with a steady hand, I did some exhibition shooting. I used a first generation Colt Trooper loaded thusly. .38 Special brass, with the flash hole drilled out, leaving more than enough shoulder to hold the primer. Push the unprimed case into a block of paraffin, Gulf Wax, available at grocery stores, if my memory is still good. This loads the projectile -think cookie cutter. Insert primer. No powder needed. You can target shoot with this. An aiming point above the target is required, as there is no recoil to speak of. A bullet trap of some kind is required. I used a box filled with magazines. It will penetrate drywall at 30-40 feet! Mark your case heads so that you don't mix them with the real stuff. Back then I filled the head stamp markings with red nail polish. There are more and better permanent markers available today.

I see no reason this would not work in straight wall chambered rifle. A top break single shot (TC Contender et al) might be ideal. The rifles might not tend to shoot so low.

I do not recall how often cleaning was required. I started the demonstration with a clean, lightly oiled bore. Most demonstrations involved less than fifteen rounds and the bore and chamber was cleaned immediately for duty ammunition.

I try to keep a good supply of .22 lr on hand. I don't think I dropped below 7000 rounds and I did not buy any from black marketers during the latest crunch. Pellet guns are a good alternative for I targets and plinking.

Not a writer, butI thought this might interest some.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bill Jordan used to toss aspirin tablets out in front and smoke 'em from the hip with those wax bullets. A previous Mrs. Pappy saw him do it when she was a girl.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BD
The exercise raises a question for which I have no answer. How did Col. Askins pull and reuse the bullets successfully for his .221 Askins? I define "successfully" as winning the championship at the match referenced previously. Did he sneak in a swage die we don't know about?

From the American Rifleman. A little more detail that Skeeter's version.

The gun was lightweight junk and went in the trash. The ammo, however,was interesting and Askins kept it. That ammo was a long skinny .22 center-fire round, close in dimensions to the old .22 WRF. Center-fire is the key word in this equation, because the Velo Dog cartridge easily made the definition of “any center-fire.” Askins was competing primarily with autos, using an early Match grade 1911 for the .45s stages and a Colt Woodsman for the .22 events. He had no choice but to use a .38 revolver for the center-fire, as did almost all other competitors. Charley wanted to use an auto for center-fire, but there were none available. So he made his own, using a wildcat .22 round based on the Velo Dog cartridge. First he had to get the dimension of the Velo Dog down to approximately the same as that of the .22 Long Rifle. This was very complicated and included shortening the case, reducing the diameter of the rim and reaming the case mouth to accept .22 bullets. Tedious, but it was not as hard as converting a King Woodsman to fire the stuff. Buchanan, an ace pistolsmith, changed the gun to center-fire, modified the breech face and extractor for the thicker rim, and then opened the chamber and modified the magazine feed lips for proper feeding. It was cut-and-try gunsmithing, but they made it work.

Dubbed the .221 Askins, the new round was an almost recoilless winner and the good Colonel started taking all the marbles in every match he entered. As Camp Perry approached, the word was out that Askins couldn't be beaten—his new gun and ammo raised his center-fire scores by an average of 9.7 points per string.

And this from the Casual Shooter.

These were cheap revolvers that originated in France, intended for bicyclists as a defense against against dogs attacks. They fired a curious centerfire cartridge, the 5.5 Velo Dog, that was similar in size to the .22LR, but much longer- and it was a centerfire cartridge:

[Linked Image]

The Velo Dogs were loaded with a jacketed bullet, as opposed to the heeled lead bullets used in .22 rimfire cartridges. The bullet diameter was the same as the standard .22, but the case diameter was larger than the bore, like most modern cartridges.

[Linked Image]

Askins managed to buy up or otherwise acquire several thousand rounds of of these obsolete cartridges. He pulled the bullets on several hundred, and shortened them on a lathe to .22LR length. He then found a supplier of lead bullets in the correct size, a set of reloading dies, and had one of his Colt Woodsman pistols modified to take the new cartridge, which he dubbed the .221 Askins. His load was a cast lead semi-wadcutter over about 1.5gr of Bullseye or DuPont #5, depending which version of the story you read, and with it he won the All-Around pistol championship in 1937. Following that match, the NRA amended the "any centerfire" pistol rules to read "any centerfire (.32 caliber and above.)"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
a cast lead semi-wadcutter over about 1.5gr of Bullseye

A man after my own heart.

Thanks for putting that up, I had recalled he used the pulled bullets and this makes much more sense. Puzzling about the "reaming" of the case mouth....I'll not go down that path if only because it would have an deleterious effect on costs and maybe utility. If the ammo factories these days can make a heeled bullet sing, then I can too.

I am..........disturbed.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
THAT's the attitude I like to see!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A sketch for consideration and a few things I puzzle about. It is not to scale, but the basic dims of the .22 LR case were filched from SAAMI. That said...

[Linked Image]

A few "issues" which I have no answer for and maybe one of you do.

- The rim is radiused on the rimfire ammo, but I doubt that building brass for a cf cartrige is amenable to that form. The SAAMI chamber spec. indicates a rim recess w/o radius and the one chamber I've looked at does not have a radiused rim recess. Anybody have any thoughts?

- The primer pocket depth above is a WAG based on dims from a .22 Hornet case and measurement of a CCI primer. My measurements were not precise due to a concave face in the primer pocket. The diameter is fairly solid however. Measurement of the primer yields .175" diameter and .118 length. The pocket mic's at .1725" diameter and .114" depth.

- I have no way to measure the web thickness accurately and do not know the industry standard. Crude measure on the Hornet brass suggests a ballpark of .070", but my eyes are skeptical. I pulled .050" web out of the air.

- Pocket wall thickness is a puzzle for me as well. My calcs suggest a .026" wall around the primer and I've no idea if that is good, bad or indifferent. The steering wheel states the first priority is safety, second is durability. Any insights would be appreciated.

Note the case capacity is reduced approximately 1/3. This was calculated on the assumption that the bullet heel is .125" long. Previous poking around puts capacity of the RF case around 3.0 grains of Bullseye and charges ranging from .55-2.5 grains of whatever they load RF ammo with. Were I a gambler I'd think the reduction of capacity would help reduce velocity spreads with handloads and currently available powders.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth today.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, a few more tidbits?

Took a look at a couple of fresh out of the mould 225438's of the Lyman persuasion and find the approximate diameter of the gas check shank with Lyman #2 alloy is ~ .215". So close, yet so far. Dang it....

Waiting for a call back from a custom brass maker to see if they want a piece of this with their fancy CNC equipment. If they are game I will start the ball rolling just to see how it works. It's only money.....

What are we going to name this thing?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When it comes to rolling ammo with small charges and speeds, I recall an article years ago in an issue of Shooting Times, I think, that attempted to reveal some of the factors that went into the the making of precision rimfire target ammo. As I recall it was Eley 22 LR ammo commonly used in biathlon competition. As I also recall they had worked out a couple of very significant factors which affected the accuracy of the finished rounds. One was the priming process , the distribution of the compound, and the consistency of the quantity. The other factor involved the effect of ambient conditions on the powder when the rounds were assembled, perhaps especially humidity. By controlling for these things, they had managed to create a product which earned a reputation for a higher degree of accuracy than other manufacturers had at the time.

Thankfully, Remington still maintains their line of Golden Bullet ammo as a baseline, so we can see how far the world of rimfire ammo has come. grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
God willing I will crush the Golden Bullet standard and threaten Ely enough to make them pay attention.

There be a bunch of puzzles in this journey that I guess only testing will resolve. Fortunately it won't be terribly expensive as I have one of those "plays both ways" T/C Contenders and a LR barrel won't break the bank. Yeah, I know, "You don't have a LR barrel!?!?" Never occurred I needed one until I started hanging out with you maniacs. laugh

Will have to reacquaint myself with ancient style reloading techniques, mebbe a mould but the jury is still out on that. Pretty much hinges on whether the folks out in WY will want to play ball with making the brass. If anyone has first hand experience in having ANYONE make custom brass that led to a good conclusion, would appreciate an ID and/or phone number.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, in case the idea of casting such small bullets scares you, don't be. I bought my .225 mould before the big rimfire scare, when MidwayUSA offered a birthday discount (and moulds were yet in less scary price territory to begin with). But the mould has proven to be easy to work with and, while I haven only begun to tinker with loading tiny cast bullets, I can see where messing around with this stuff could become somewhat addictive. (I certainly like shooting small centerfire pip-squeak loads via single shot more than shooting rimfires singly loaded.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have that phobia.

[Linked Image]

Issue at hand is the heeled bullet geometry. Maybe, might be, possibly a swage die and big hammer would serve the purpose? I have some experience with that an much larger calibers. Maybe I need a smaller hammer?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a smallish 30 caliber Lyman mould which has a heel and drops like a dream from the moulds. I bought a couple thousand 22 cal gas checks when I bought the 22 cal mould, so I have been using them, but I suspect I could probably forego them without any serious issues. Lots of stuff to play with. I guess I could be one of those odd-balls at the public range who attract other interesting oddballs. smile I wish I could get a 22 mould similar to that 30 cal mould, but perhaps that's overthinking things.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/29/17.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.22-2-45
.22 Alt (for alternative)
.22 Hot Dog (hey, I'm eating a hot dog right now)
.22 Wisp
.22 Zephyr
B-22

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
-laffin'-,,,,,,,B-22 has a ring, no? laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,806 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.