Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don't have a dog in this fight, but I have been privileged to hunt Idaho in the past and I would hate to see opportunities for the average sportsman diminished.

A movement has been started in the State of Idaho that is finally coming to light concerning the management and funding of the wildlife in the State of Idaho. This movement was brought to the light of day by the Idaho Wildlife Federation in Boise through the use of the Freedom of Information Act. The Idaho Wildlife Federation was able to get copies of emails between legislators and a wealthy sportsman about the auction tag bill and the firing of two Idaho Fish and Game commissioners whose first terms were about to expire. The commissioners were invited to reapply for a second term but told that their applications would not be approved by the Senate Resources and Environmental Committee because of pressure from the wealthy sportsman and certain members of the Senate Resources and Environmental Committee (Senate Chairman Steve Bair) so that new commissioners could be appointed who would support the wealthy sportsman and Steve Bairs’ position on auction tags. Right now the number of tags is limited to two big horn sheep tags, but the wealthy sportsman and legislators wants an increase to 12 tags that cover all the big game species in Idaho. This will set a precedent which will allow the Senate of the State of Idaho to require additional tags whenever the politically motivated legislators want to increase or change the policy of how big game is managed in Idaho. At all Idaho Department of Fish and Game public meetings around the State of Idaho the public opinion of increasing auction tags has met with intense opposition by the majority of attendees.

The word floating around the State House is that our core group of esteemed Senators would very much like to end up with a system of auctioning tags like that used in Utah. The Utah system has disenfranchised the average citizen of Utah from their ability to hunt big game in the State of Utah. They have been priced out of the market by a system that gives tags to organizations like the Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, who then turn around and auction off hundreds of coveted tags at public events, such as the Salt Lake City Sportsmen’s Expo each year. Sixty percent of the funds raised are retained by the organization and forty percent is turned over to the Utah Game and Fish for the management of the wildlife. All hunting in Utah is now controlled hunt only. A person starting to hunt in Utah for elk at the age of 12 could only draw four elk tags in that state in his lifetime, if he is able to draw an elk tag at all, unless he has the money to buy one of the auction tags!

Is this what we want for us and our children and all future generations? There is a lot of wildlife of trophy quality in Utah. In spite of this fact, many Utah hunters are turning to Idaho because there are no opportunities left that they can afford in Utah. If we establish this kind of system in Idaho, we will quickly end up like Utah. The problem is we will not have anywhere to turn when this happens here. Do not doubt for a minute that this will happen. The plans have already been set in motion by the Idaho Senate Resources and Environmental Committee chaired by Steve Bair! The wealthy sportsman has been spending a lot of money on political donations at the state level in order to get increased auction tags in Idaho as well as influence the appointment of Idaho Fish and Game Commissioners sympathetic to his views.

When the 1938 Initiative passed it, was specifically for the purpose of removing the management of the wildlife of Idaho from the political arena. Since that time the Legislature has been trying to regain control of the resource. It is time for every hunter and angler to notify the Legislature that we will not accept their interference with the operation of the Idaho Fish and Game Commission. There have been no problems in the past with the management by this commission, which has been following the mandate given in 1938. That is 78 years of operation. This is not the time to politicize our wildlife management. The only thing that we can do to stop hijacking of our state’s resource for the enrichment of the few and to the detriment of all of the citizens of this State is to let these self-serving legislators hear from you individually. Tell them of your opposition of giving any tag to anyone for private sale be they landowners or wealthy sportsmen. You should also target the ringleaders of this atrocity and let them know that when they are next up for election, we will not support them and intend to support their opposition at the next election. This is ultimately the only language that these multi-term self-righteous legislators understand. Please do not sit by and allow this to happen. Act now! I was president of the Safari Club Idaho Chapter during the Bear Initiative of 1996 and very active in the defeat of that attempt to end bear hunting in Idaho. I did not defeat the initiative by myself. I had the support of the hunters, trappers and all sportsmen of this state when this happened. Together we blew the animal rights activists out of the State of Idaho. We beat them so badly that they have not come back to Idaho since their 1996 defeat! Sportsmen of Idaho beat the state animal rights organization, The Humane Society of the United States, by a whopping 67% to 33% of the popular vote! We can do it again working together.

I am asking each of you to investigate immediately what I am saying. Go on the internet to the Idaho Wildlife Federation website and see for yourself what is happening. While you are at it please access the letter to Sen. Brent Hill, President Pro Tempore, which was signed by 15 past Idaho Fish and Game Commissioners asking for the removal of Senator Steve Bair as Chairman of the Senate Resources and Environmental Committee to find out the truth of what has been going on for the past two years. If Idaho hunters and fishers do not step up now, there can be no doubt of the outcome for future generations of Idaho sportsmen. I may not have too many seasons left in me, but I do have children and grandchildren who I want to have the same opportunities that I did.

I realize that most of you have never heard of me. That you may not believe what I am saying or think that I have my own gain at heart. I have devoted many years of my charitable time to organizations such as the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (15 years), Idaho Wildlife Council (7 years), Safari Club Idaho Chapter (20 years), Southeastern Idaho Mule Deer Foundation (15 years), and the National Wild Turkey Foundation (12 years). I am a 70 year native of Idaho and during that time I have hunted the length and breadth of this State.

Dave Capell is a longtime Pocatello resident and a graduate of Pocatello High School and Idaho State University. He is a former Army captain and has been an accountant with the firm Engleson, Capell & Engleson for the past 43 years.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's at least a few holes in that article (such as ALL tags in Utah being on a draw basis), but for the most part it seems par the course...

I swear, as much as I despise the Federal Govt, the states are even more corrupt...but fly under the radar for some reason.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Europe all over again. It always heads this way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unfortunately, those with deep pockets and power count for more than the Average Joe's when it comes to setting state policy. Money is the biggie and IDFG is after the most they can get for what they have left.

About 20 years ago, in my part of the state, we had this goofy split fall bear season. Bear season would open around the 1st of September, close around the 15th of Sept and re-open on Oct 1 for another month. Every year some poor suckers would get busted for shooting a bear on the 16th of Sept. Many hunters were pissed about the silly law and IDFG didn't have solid reason for it. A state senator got busted for shooting a bear during the 2 week closure, he threw a fit and the law was changed the next year. When it impacted the right guy, things changed quick and that was the end of the split season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A person starting to hunt in Utah for elk at the age of 12 could only draw four elk tags in that state in his lifetime, if he is able to draw an elk tag at all, unless he has the money to buy one of the auction tags!

Seriously??

This doesn't sound right at all.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Lonny
Unfortunately, those with deep pockets and power count for more than the Average Joe's when it comes to setting state policy. Money is the biggie and IDFG is after the most they can get for what they have left.

About 20 years ago, in my part of the state, we had this goofy split fall bear season. Bear season would open around the 1st of September, close around the 15th of Sept and re-open on Oct 1 for another month. Every year some poor suckers would get busted for shooting a bear on the 16th of Sept. Many hunters were pissed about the silly law and IDFG didn't have solid reason for it. A state senator got busted for shooting a bear during the 2 week closure, he threw a fit and the law was changed the next year. When it impacted the right guy, things changed quick and that was the end of the split season.

Yep, when ever trgic things happen to the rich and powerful, the table turn and thing a done with seift action, when it comes to me and you...no so much. all these laws should be reviewed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That will spell the death of hunting in those states. Make it a pursuit for the rich only and people won't buy licenses, gear, guns and all the other associated goodies. I would think a sportsman's boycott could be effective. Does the state make more money off of the tag auction than they will off of license sales to average joes?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lots of uneducated BS and scare tactics in that article. There's plenty of over the counter opportunities for elk in Utah where a person can hunt every year and have a decent chance at a branch antlered bull. Also plenty of good cow hunts that go under-subscribed every year in units where you can also buy a bull tag OTC. Nothing better than stomping around the hills with both a bull and a cow tag in your pocket. And while Utah's deer hunts are draw only, there's opportunity to hunt every year if you choose. Might not be your first pick of a unit, but you could hunt every year, especially with a bow or muzzleloader. They also have a Dedicated Hunter Program that guarantees deer tags in three year increments as long as you abide by the guidelines, pay the fees, and do the required work hours (you can harvest two bucks in three years).

And I'll take Utah's point system over Idaho's limited entry system any time. At least in Utah you have somewhat of an idea when you may draw a limited entry/premium hunt. In Idaho it's a complete roll of the dice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
And I'll take Utah's point system over Idaho's limited entry system any time. At least in Utah you have somewhat of an idea when you may draw a limited entry/premium hunt. In Idaho it's a complete roll of the dice.
I am the complete opposite! Though I participate in a lot of them, I abhor points systems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
I am the complete opposite! Though I participate in a lot of them, I abhor points systems.

+1 - much prefer an equal chance every year.

Regards,

Tom
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm another one who like's Idaho's current system without points.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by tominboise
Originally Posted by pointer

+1 - much prefer an equal chance every year.

Yep Utah is a cluster cuss and I don't even try there even tho the trophy quality is amazing I just can't stomach giving those bastards* my money.

* by this I am NOT referring to the people of the state but to those in the state govt who have perverted a good system.

Last edited by efw; 05/16/17. Reason: Clarity
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Lots of uneducated BS and scare tactics in that article. There's plenty of over the counter opportunities for elk in Utah where a person can hunt every year and have a decent chance at a branch antlered bull. Also plenty of good cow hunts that go under-subscribed every year in units where you can also buy a bull tag OTC. Nothing better than stomping around the hills with both a bull and a cow tag in your pocket. And while Utah's deer hunts are draw only, there's opportunity to hunt every year if you choose. Might not be your first pick of a unit, but you could hunt every year, especially with a bow or muzzleloader. They also have a Dedicated Hunter Program that guarantees deer tags in three year increments as long as you abide by the guidelines, pay the fees, and do the required work hours (you can harvest two bucks in three years).

Even if we grant that all of what you say above is true it is still deeply problematic from my point of view.

Auction tags force agencies to manage for the good of the auction winners. Money equals influence, and when an agency relies upon such means of funding they are beholden to those who are winning the tags. That's just the way of the world.

When sportsmen are the ones funding wildlife management it is managed for the interests of all. When you move away from that things get sketchy. It's really UnAmerican as has been pointed out. It's a step back toward the European model we rejected when we became our own country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some years back while living in Idaho I wrote a lengthy letter to the F&G about auctioning off more tags; I see it as a good thing. The way I saw it, there is already a big business of selling trophy hunt tags under the current regulations - I know, landowners can't sell tags but they can charge trespass fees and give away their landowner's tags. The trophy mule deer property I wanted to hunt near Fairfield was getting $7500 per deer tag. Why not let the state government get in the business? The way I laid it out was to select an area that is known to produce big bucks/elk and auction off the trophy tags: still allow hunting for forked horns in the general hunt. Then take the very funds from the auction and specifically target range improvement for that herd. Of course some called foul because it kept the "poor" from hunting trophy animals.

Hunters draw tags and don't appreciate them and in many cases don't even go a field - per my discussion with game management officers. Had a guy here on this site draw a coveted Bighorn tag, I met with him and shared all of the scouting intel from my successful hunt - He never went. Had a second guy contact me and again I shared my intel and he hunted one day, complained he didn't see any sheep. I didn't help the third guy who contacted me yet he successfully harvested a small ram, shot out the truck window.r

The point I attempted to make in my letter was there are many hard core hunters who would love, and be willing to pay, for the opportunity to hunt trophy animals and why shouldn't the state offer the service.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
[quote=Boise]Some years back while living in Idaho I wrote a lengthy letter to the F&G about auctioning off more tags; I see it as a good thing. The trophy mule deer property I wanted to hunt near Fairfield was getting $7500 per deer tag.

The point I attempted to make in my letter was there are many hard core hunters who would love, and be willing to pay, for the opportunity to hunt trophy animals and why shouldn't the state offer the service
. [/quote

If the opportunity you want exists already, why are you so desperate to chit-can the current system MOST Idahoans prefer? By your own admission there were landowner tags available where you wanted to hunt, and you are clearly intimating that you are one of the "hard core" hunters that would "love, and be willing to pay" for tags.

Go ahead and do it then bud, but quit trying to screw to up for everyone else.

Last edited by iddave; 05/18/17.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prices like that would immediately turn me into a fisherman only. I'm retired and on a fixed income. I can't afford thousands for tags. I've been hunting here in Idaho for more than 50 years. Why should I be cut off just because I'm not rich?

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Prices like that would immediately turn me into a fisherman only. I'm retired and on a fixed income. I can't afford thousands for tags. I've been hunting here in Idaho for more than 50 years. Why should I be cut off just because I'm not rich?

+1 on this right here!

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by efw

Even if we grant that all of what you say above is true it is still deeply problematic from my point of view.

Auction tags force agencies to manage for the good of the auction winners. Money equals influence, and when an agency relies upon such means of funding they are beholden to those who are winning the tags. That's just the way of the world.

When sportsmen are the ones funding wildlife management it is managed for the interests of all. When you move away from that things get sketchy. It's really UnAmerican as has been pointed out. It's a step back toward the European model we rejected when we became our own country.

I didn't say anything about auction tags.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Same here......I don't hunt very much big game any more but I'd still like to have the option.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Idaho seems to be the only western state that allows non-residents to compete equally with residents when applying for controlled hunt tags. While I admit to not really enjoying bumping into non-residents in the field, they support Idaho businesses and for the most part are easy on the game populations. Fat cat hunters on the other hand allowed to purchase Auction tag are reducing the number of tags available to everyone else and for the most part take trophy breeding animals out of the populations. There are game managers that will argue whether this is bad for a species or not but one has to realize the outfit they work for receives the proceeds of those auctions and can then build new very expensive HQ buildings and buy more pickups for them to drive around in . Idaho hunters have said they favor the system as is and are suspect of game managers seeking to increase revenues that do not directly benefit game and fish. We need to strongly oppose the politicians pretending to be game biologists ( i.e.: Virgil our F&G Director) and leave the system the way it is.
Good Hunting
Lj

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by efw

Pretty much my thoughts too.

I do have a question for those that live in points system states. Luckily we don't have that in Ky though it's been kicked around regarding our elk hunting. My question is it seems if you get in at the beginning it might be attractive to you but say you are a young fellow25 years from now that wants to take up elk hunting. Looks like to me you would never catch up to all those old coots that are sitting on a pile of points accumulated over the years. How do points states manage to avoid having a bunch of geezers that finally cashed in their 50 points wondering around with rifles strapped to their walkers hoping for a shot at an elk. Seems to me that if there isn't a use it or lose it rule that resets you to 0 ever 3-5 years then the system would be unsustainable.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
Idaho seems to be the only western state that allows non-residents to compete equally with residents when applying for controlled hunt tags. While I admit to not really enjoying bumping into non-residents in the field, they support Idaho businesses and for the most part are easy on the game populations. Fat cat hunters on the other hand allowed to purchase Auction tag are reducing the number of tags available to everyone else and for the most part take trophy breeding animals out of the populations. There are game managers that will argue whether this is bad for a species or not but one has to realize the outfit they work for receives the proceeds of those auctions and can then build new very expensive HQ buildings and buy more pickups for them to drive around in . Idaho hunters have said they favor the system as is and are suspect of game managers seeking to increase revenues that do not directly benefit game and fish. We need to strongly oppose the politicians pretending to be game biologists ( i.e.: Virgil our F&G Director) and leave the system the way it is.
Good Hunting
Lj

10% of tags to non-residents in controlled hunt units is competing equally?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
When there are 10 tags for a specific controlled hunt and 9 residents plus one non-resident apply for that hunt the non-resident has an one in 10 chance of drawing that tag, just like everyone else. Take a look at western state regs. Without question Idaho has the most liberal regs. with regard to non-resident participation. I don't expect to be given the same state benefits as residents in another state when I seek to use resources when visiting and thats how it should be. The people of Florida should be able to set the limits on non -residents when setting quotas on alligators. The gators inhabit their state. We don't live in a perfect place where everyone is treated equally all the time but I believe Idaho's F&G regs are as close as you can get. Come to Idaho and hunt elk, with out points or drawings for those tags. The elk don't care where your from !
good hunting
Lj

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When there are 10 tags for a specific controlled hunt and 9 residents plus one non-resident apply for that hunt the non-resident has an one in 10 chance of drawing that tag, just like everyone else.
Lj

A one in 10 chance, now that's funny. When was the last time you saw 10 applications for ANY controlled hunt? And please explain a non-resident's odds in units with less than 10 overall tags.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well , Mr Wapiti, There's a chance you may be one of those people who truly expect fair treatment and equality for all. You are to be applauded for those ideals but this world, nature and the people in it don't behave that way, and most probably never will. I used to complain to a neighbor of mine (a retired F&G enforcement officer) , that the hunts in Idaho were not organized to properly manage the resources, namely game animals. His response was " they never were , and never will be, it's all about managing people to maximize money " . I can't explain how a controlled hunt with fewer tags than ten could be made fair for non-residents, under current quota regulations, because the non-resident is just " chit out of luck ". The system is run by people accountable to the residents of the state Idaho not Iowa and like the elk who is feeding one minute and running for his life from a hunter the next, it just ain't fair!!!. Remember the elk hate us all equally, that's a good sign ,maybe we are headed in the right direction after all.
Good Hunting
Lj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When there are 10 tags for a specific controlled hunt and 9 residents plus one non-resident apply for that hunt the non-resident has an one in 10 chance of drawing that tag, just like everyone else.
Lj

A one in 10 chance, now that's funny. When was the last time you saw 10 applications for ANY controlled hunt? And please explain a non-resident's odds in units with less than 10 overall tags.

Just a few years ago, there were leftover bull moose tags for a unit in Idaho...I think unit 17 up in the Selway. They obviously didn't last long when they were offered s first come first served...but there were just a few people that initially applied.

There's also a fair number of tags in areas with mainly private land where less than 10 people put in. Most hunts with public access and optimal timing have thousands apply, but the less desirable hunts for relatively often have very few applicants.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No matter how few the tags in any particular hunt, the non-res quota is as least 1. So, if there are 5 tags, 1 can go to a non-res. They put all the applications together in a digital hat and start drawing. When the 1st non-res is drawn, they bypass any others as the draw continues. If all 5 go to residents before a non-res is drawn, that's the way it goes.

― George Orwell

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Actioning trophy tags is a slippery slope for fewer tags in all areas in the future. It can easily start with high trophy areas (like the Henry Mountains deer hunt in UT), then drift into other areas as the separation of wealth increases, while areas to hunt decreases. The government does not own wild game and should not be able to "sell" them

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Lj

Just a few years ago, there were leftover bull moose tags for a unit in Idaho...I think unit 17 up in the Selway. They obviously didn't last long when they were offered s first come first served...but there were just a few people that initially applied.

There's also a fair number of tags in areas with mainly private land where less than 10 people put in. Most hunts with public access and optimal timing have thousands apply, but the less desirable hunts for relatively often have very few applicants.

Holy $hit my grammar sucks.

Rock Chuck is right...Up to 10% of tags for a given controlled hunt go to non-residents. If only residents are drawn when the allotted number of tags is reached, then none will go to non-residents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, 10 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.