Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FL02fkPQPE

Put money down over the phone today ... just gotta find the time to go get it over the next few days. Can't wait to play around with it! Been looking at them for several years now and sounding like my home state of Illinois is getting real close to allowing them full season for everyone, so I figured it's time to get into the game. Even if the new law doesn't pass my 10yr old can legally hunt with it and I also can during late season so it's all good. I still enjoy my compound so it'll have to stay at home some but will be fun for mixing things up! My dealer I spoke to today has been a TenPoint dealer for years and said these new Ravins blow them outta the water! He said the technology that went into this crossbow is unbelievable! I sure hope so for what it's costing me. In fact, dealer said when I go to get it he wants me to 1st shoot all his TenPoints ... then pickup the Ravin R15 and shoot it. He says the difference is unquestionable! So what do you all think??? Did I make a decent decision???

Also, any pointers for a 1st time crossbow user? TIA

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qeSNfq3Oy8s

... another interesting video showing some of the main features that went into the Ravin R15

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When the Ravin was released I spent some time evaluating it.

It has a lot of well considered features and were I buying a first crossbow today it would be a choice between what have, an Excalibur Matrix 330, and the Ravin.

The crank s really nice, but if it fails, then what? The super tight nocks are an issue. They are necessary to the design, they do not contribute to accuracy and they limit what you can shoot for arrows. The narrow bow is really nice and it handles much more like a rifle. The speed is nice, but it's not fast enough that it makes any difference. The trigger is good. The scope sucks.

The Excalibur is about as bullet proof as they get. The trigger is good. The scope really sucks. Maintenance is simple and can be done by the user. It's not the fastest, but none of the deer I have killed with it moved before the arrow got there. Plenty of power to drive a big two blade or four blade expandable completely through big deer. Extremely accurate.

The width of the Excalibur is not an issue for me other than how it affects the balance.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Lube the rails, wax the string - regularly. The crossbow has much more friction contact than a compound bow, you need the lubes to help fight the high-speed wear on the strings and cables. I've shot several crossbows in the store that were dry, you could smell the nylon "burn" from the friction.

As far as a "good or bad" choice, we can't help you, you made a decision that was based on your needs, information, and how you hunt.

But, it would good to hear back when you have shot it for a while, and what the post-buy reactions are. I've had my eye on the local archery shop to look at one when they come in.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking X bow.
I've a Scorpyd I'm not looking to change anytime soon but certainly would give this one a look were I in the market.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MILES58

It has a lot of well considered features and were I buying a first crossbow today it would be a choice between what have, an Excalibur Matrix 330, and the Ravin.

The crank s really nice, but if it fails, then what? The super tight nocks are an issue. They are necessary to the design, they do not contribute to accuracy and they limit what you can shoot for arrows. The narrow bow is really nice and it handles much more like a rifle. The speed is nice, but it's not fast enough that it makes any difference. The trigger is good. The scope sucks.

The Excalibur is about as bullet proof as they get. The trigger is good. The scope really sucks. Maintenance is simple and can be done by the user. It's not the fastest, but none of the deer I have killed with it moved before the arrow got there. Plenty of power to drive a big two blade or four blade expandable completely through big deer. Extremely accurate.

The width of the Excalibur is not an issue for me other than how it affects the balance.

Thanks for the info and opinions! I guess if I'd decide to replace scope down the road it's not end of world but just more money out of my pocket. I'm sure I can make due for my 1st season/fall of hunting and go from there. Are you talking clarity ,,, eye relief ,,, or what??? Just curious.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Lube the rails, wax the string - regularly. The crossbow has much more friction contact than a compound bow, you need the lubes to help fight the high-speed wear on the strings and cables. I've shot several crossbows in the store that were dry, you could smell the nylon "burn" from the friction.

As far as a "good or bad" choice, we can't help you, you made a decision that was based on your needs, information, and how you hunt.

But, it would good to hear back when you have shot it for a while, and what the post-buy reactions are. I've had my eye on the local archery shop to look at one when they come in.

Yeah, strings are only thing scares me about these hard shooting crossbows from what I'm gathering. Especially since safety is my main concern if my 10yr old might be using it. I will most definitely keep an eye on strings and try to maintain them. I'll keep you fellas posted on my thoughts after I get my hands on it and shoot it some!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Can these high speed crossbows be shot into a standard 3D deer target? Wondering if a crossbow specific target will be in order also? Geez! It's never ending. Lol!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Can these high speed crossbows be shot into a standard 3D deer target? Wondering if a crossbow specific target will be in order also? Geez! It's never ending. Lol!

No - you need a crossbow rated target. Yes, you can shoot the standard 3D deer, but be prepared for pass-throughs from the start - think about what you have behind the target. I've watched guys nail their 3D deer to the shed wall, because they didn't think it through.

Even good cross targets start losing full stop after shots to the same spot.

It looks like the Raven can be decocked, if you don't shoot it?

If not, you also need a discharge bolt, or a discharge bag for the field. Shooting the hunting bolt into the ground briefs well, until you have broken and replaced 2-3 bolts in a season.

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/05/17.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Thanks for the info and opinions! I guess if I'd decide to replace scope down the road it's not end of world but just more money out of my pocket. I'm sure I can make due for my 1st season/fall of hunting and go from there. Are you talking clarity ,,, eye relief ,,, or what??? Just curious.

99% of the factory crossbow scopes are cheap, poor eye relief, won't zero, and break usually soon after purchase. But, they come with cool red and green lighting...

The reality is that the manufacture has to cut costs to the consumer somewhere, and the scope usually takes the hit. Most factory come with a ballistic reticle that is not adjustable, I've had several that did not match the factory bolts even close.

Plus, you set your bolt up for your hunting, certain grain bolt, certain weight broadhead, certain vanes. The factory scope isn't calibrated for all of the variables that can added by the consumer, so you get a scope that usually only matches the factory bolt with a field point, and not much else.

You are going have to see if the scope will adapt to your bolt, and if the reticle marks are even close at further distance.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy

99% of the factory crossbow scopes are cheap, poor eye relief, won't zero, and break usually soon after purchase. But, they come with cool red and green lighting...

The reality is that the manufacture has to cut costs to the consumer somewhere, and the scope usually takes the hit. Most factory come with a ballistic reticle that is not adjustable, I've had several that did not match the factory bolts even close.

Plus, you set your bolt up for your hunting, certain grain bolt, certain weight broadhead, certain vanes. The factory scope isn't calibrated for all of the variables that can added by the consumer, so you get a scope that usually only matches the factory bolt with a field point, and not much else.

You are going have to see if the scope will adapt to your bolt, and if the reticle marks are even close at further distance.

Are there many options for upgrading a crossbow scope? Wouldn't think there'd be much to choose from regardless. What's a good quality crossbow scope ... just as an example. I'm curious.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Actually,

There's a pretty good market for the after-market scopes. The cheap scopes on the market x-bows have generated the need for additional options. Most of the big name scope brands have at least one scope in their line-up.

I like this one: Redfield Revenge 2-7x34 ABS Crossbow Scope 115206

However, I think it's discontinued by Redfield. I have two or three mounted, they have been repeatable, good at dusk and dawn, and matched each x-bow that I mounted them on. I do not use the ranging feature, but it allows me to set the scope for each bow, speed, and weight of the bolt.

I bought one these off of Natchez, but I haven't mounted it yet.

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-...eticle-33-11-fov-5-eye-relief-matte.html

Leupold, Zeiss, and Nikon have x-bow scopes, but you are creeping up in the price range as well.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Pretty sweet. If you don't mind me asking, what did it set you back?

I bought a Ten Point 3 years ago, and as much as I love hunting with my compound, I haven't picked it up since I got the crossbow.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Right @ $2,000

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMHO , as one who uses a crossbow for most of my bow hunting these days, any scope you can see through and will hold it's zero will do. You are talking about using scopes far more accurate than the weapon they are attached to.
Average crossbow shot is likely less than 30-50yards. True, some high dollar crossbows will do 100yds, I hear, but I would never take a shot that far with a weapon with that many variables.
I have shot targets with a longbow, recurve, and compound out to 70yards. (Measured course) but I will not take a bow shot at a live animal at more than 40-45yds max.
Even with carbon shafts, and new matched razorheads, pristine fletchings, and perfect form , variations in flight will still occur, due to factors such as the shift of the breeze.
Scopes are also susceptible to the problem of parilax. I buried a crossbow bolt in a thumb sized branch between me and my deer. That branch was not visible in the scope but was in the flight path of the bolt. Cost me a nice buck. 4X Scope was removed after that, and only one pin is used now.
A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kellory
IMHO , as one who uses a crossbow for most of my bow hunting these days, any scope you can see through and will hold it's zero will do. You are talking about using scopes far more accurate than the weapon they are attached to.
Average crossbow shot is likely less than 30-50yards. True, some high dollar crossbows will do 100yds, I hear, but I would never take a shot that far with a weapon with that many variables.
I have shot targets with a longbow, recurve, and compound out to 70yards. (Measured course) but I will not take a bow shot at a live animal at more than 40-45yds max.
Even with carbon shafts, and new matched razorheads, pristine fletchings, and perfect form , variations in flight will still occur, due to factors such as the shift of the breeze.
Scopes are also susceptible to the problem of parilax. I buried a crossbow bolt in a thumb sized branch between me and my deer. That branch was not visible in the scope but was in the flight path of the bolt. Cost me a nice buck. 4X Scope was removed after that, and only one pin is used now.
A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess you don't hunt under low light conditiions.

I guess you also don't figure anyone else does either.

That would rule out facing into a setting/rising sun too.

As far as Parallax (parilax for some folks). That generally isn't going to affect you seeing a thumb sized branch at 30 yards.

"A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat." For some people I just became convinced that this is a true statement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right @ $2,000

Two thousand dollars for a bow is a lot of money!

The crossbow I am shooting cost me less. It's a Barnett Recruit. Mine costs $150 here:

Here is a link to one for sale

[/i]

[i]
Barnet crossbow $150

Last edited by Savage_99; 05/05/17.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
a crossbow is still a bow, not a rifle

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have guns sitting that don't ever get used ... so I have zero problems spending $2,000 on a crossbow that my boy & myself will put to use and enjoy the heck out of! Especially when I'm trying to keep him interested in going hunting with me. We will have some good fun with it! Worth every penny. Sure I can find one cheaper but those aren't the ones I want. I was convinced last couple years I would own a TenPoint someday until I seen these Ravins and spoke with my dealer.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.