Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For me, anyway, the value of.22 rimfires is in the convenience, not the power level. A good supply of.22 rf means I can go out and burn up several hundred rounds in my.22 handguns or the grandkids can massacre tin cans all afternoon with their 1022's . Reloading little cases, casting little bullets, I have no time or interest in. Closest I ever came was developing an 1800 fps load for 63 grain Sierras in .222 for turkey/fur friendly purposes.

Mathew 22: 37-39

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A custom rifle for the 5.5mm Velo Dog cartridge would precisely fit your criteria.

http://www.ammo-one.com/5-75VeloDog.html

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
25-20 with 3g of RedDot or 2.8 of W231 going by memory, and a 75grn speer. Or my full steam loads of 10.8 4198 75grn speer, or 11.8grn 4198 and 70grn blitzking. The first two loads sound like rimfire, but the last loads work just fine on rabbits and bigger stuff.

I also load a .223 with RedDot 6-7grns 50grn vmax for 22mag results.

257R 90grn hpbt Sierra 10.5-11grns RedDot duplicate 25-20 load levels. Slow enough that the bullet doesn't deform.

I do like the idea of a cut down Hornet case though. 50-55grn bullets at 1050-1400fps load range.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Oddball, are you related to Oddjob? laugh

I have had similar thoughts about doing the roundball thing and might well fiddle with that, but it does not present to the objective I ponder.

I get the sense of comments so far to be fair on topic of "alternatives" as framed by working with what's on hand. BTDT over and over and over again. Said previously that I'd not shot cast in the Hornet and that was incorrect. I fireform the K-Hornet with the Lyman 225438 and get respectable 100 yard groups and fair snappy velocity, ballpark 2300 fps, while using gas checks and Alox lube. It is the opposite direction from where I was looking at this. I mentioned the possibility of using jacketed bullets, but that that is not where I'll go with this, assuming I go anywhere at all. And yes, I've pondered the .25 ACP rifle, looked at the iterations of shortened Hornet cases, the .297-250 Rook (cases can be formed from Hornet brass) and worse.

Most of you know about my adventure with the .30 Sneezer, a project directed at a specific objective and one that was/is successful in my view. It was blooded recently, Dan 2 - Pigs 0. I fiddle with it in the never ending quest for, well, you know what I'm talking about, right? One of the outgrowths of the endeavor is recognition that with reduced charges/low load density, all loads/powders evaluated to date exhibit evidence of position sensitivity, this with load densities running approximately 35-75%. My holy grail has been to remain sub-sonic but the round certainly has the capacity to go faster, maybe up to around 1,400-1,600 fps with the 180 grain bullet. Likewise, the round if remarkably responsive to the different impulse provided by rifle and pistol primers, favoring the pistol primers by large margin. So, three brands of primers in both iterations, 2 different bullets in 3 different alloy combinations, and 12 different varieties of powder...they all work to get me to the minute of pig brain, but that is not where my thinking was oriented on this. Yes, I tried full cases of 3FG and 1.5 FG and duplex loads as well. Cleaning the suppressor in the dishwasher was the schizzle!

Today's review of .22 RF prices, specifically, Wolf MT shows prices of 6-17 cents/round + shipping, depending on source. Midway says it is discontinued? OK then, it isn't that much different from other price spreads. Don't know I'd call this representative of RF prices, but it is within the landscape. See this link: https://www.midwayusa.com/rimfire-ammunition/br?cid=7547

So back to the original quest. Seems to me there is some potential for this. A few years back Federal ran a lot of unloaded but primed RF brass on a special request and it was not a small lot of cases....that sold out pretty quick. There were a lot of cranks out there loading their own and getting impressive results, to include the use of BP in some cases. I suspect there is a viable market for this but am not settled on form. Market target? Why, cheap ol' cranky loons of course. Duhhhhhhhhh....

Dan

PS: I eschew the thought of heeled bullets by the way...

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/05/17.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bristoe,

I did essentially the same thing with #4 buckshot when experimenting with the .22 Hornet, though I squeezed them through a Lee .224 sizer. One grain of Red Dot got around 900 fps, but accuracy was only good enough for 25-yard shooting, and even then the shot needed to be sorted for uniformity before being sized.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've some experience doing that with the .44 mag in a rifle and it worked well. They were paper patched, dunno how queer that sounds but you can blame it on Ross Seyfried. Single balls shot well out to 50 yards at velocity under the 2000-2100 fps realm. They stripped at 2400 fps. Double ball loads were the curiosity. Consistently made two respectable groups (~1.5"), one on the 10 ring, the other at 10 o'clock and about 3-4" out. Never quite figured that out.

I also did a few mouse fart loads, but the paper patching of a round ball is....tedious.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bristoe,

I did essentially the same thing with #4 buckshot when experimenting with the .22 Hornet, though I squeezed them through a Lee .224 sizer. One grain of Red Dot got around 900 fps, but accuracy was only good enough for 25-yard shooting, and even then the shot needed to be sorted for uniformity before being sized.

The accuracy of the buckshot load isn't nearly as good as with typical bullets, but it's decent out to 50 yards if you keep the velocity low,...and keeping the velocity low is necessary if you plan on eating things you shoot with them. For whatever reason, a .322" buckshot exhibits a surprising amount of disruption when fired from the little Martini at about 1900 fps.

At about 30 yards they'll explode a grapefruit. A couple of them virtually disappeared. I'd guess that a squirrel hit anywhere except the head would leave little for the cookpot after being hit by one.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Esoteric.

This is stuff I did in our basement when the folks were gone. Got a hold of some ~ .40 cal Minnie balls (conicals, Civil war era imitations)), where I don't remember, and loaded them in an emptied 410 shot shell. Have no idea of their weight but probably more than the three-inch shot load held.

I knew enough to know they had to fit through the choke of my H&R single shot but not much more.

Was amazed and then distressed that they penetrated my barrier of whatever and then went into the wall of the basement.

Gee,..now how do I fix this up? 😜🤔😀

My apologies for the side track.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/05/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah yes, round ball revolver loads smile

Speer used to publish round ball loads for the .44mag, using .433 dia round balls. Sometimes they worked okay, and made a plunk - whack at the indoor range, plunk for the discharge and whack as it hit the paper a 1/2 second later. Drew lots of curious stares smirk

At one point I had a squib load, in the 6½" S&W .44 I was using. The ball stopped 1/2 way out the muzzle, which at least made it somewhat easier to grab & remove. Also filled the barrel with 1/2 burned Bullseye, which for the record, smells bad smirk

I abandoned that project at that point. I notice Speer doesn't publish the loads any longer, either. It might be fun to revisit it with Trail Boss, Titegroup, or something else position insensitive. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
George De Vries,

Your story reminds me of shooting half a Q-tip halfway through my hollow closet door from a .22 rifle. It was powered by a .22LR cartridge with the bullet pulled and the powder dumped out--just the priming. I had tacked a shoe box full of wadded newspaper(evidently not wadded tight enough) onto the closet door for a target. The half Q-tip penetrated the lid of the box, the wadded paper, the bottom of the box, and the outer plywood layer of the door. From a distance of eight feet, maybe. Like you, I was amazed and distressed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Here you go. The flintlock version of a 22. With 32 caliber patched round balls it can be a 22 CB short to a 22 Magnum depending on powder charge.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the 38 special comes closest as a replacement. 3-4 gr of fast to medium fast powder under a 100-150 gr cast bullet makes for an outstanding small game load. Once fired brass is dirt cheap and plentiful and plenty of good molds available. Yes, more labor than just buying a box of 22's and takes up more room in your pocket, but it's a good option when you're looking for options.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
Here you go. The flintlock version of a 22. With 32 caliber patched round balls it can be a 22 CB short to a 22 Magnum depending on powder charge.

[Linked Image]

Exquisite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Esoteric.

This is stuff I did in our basement when the folks were gone. Got a hold of some ~ .40 cal Minnie balls (conicals, Civil war era imitations)), where I don't remember, and loaded them in an emptied 410 shot shell. Have no idea of their weight but probably more than the three-inch shot load held.

I knew enough to know they had to fit through the choke of my H&R single shot but not much more.

Was amazed and then distressed that they penetrated my barrier of whatever and then went into the wall of the basement.

Gee,..now how do I fix this up? 😜🤔😀

Reminds of trying to fireform a 218 mashburn bee case in that garage. It's been many years so I forgot the exact charge but around 5 gr of red dot under a 60 gr hollowpoint which I figured was enough to get the bullet out of the case when fired from my 10" contender. That it did, and it managed to penetrate three 2X4's, a 4X4 and when it hit the concrete floor it was still going fast enough to crater the concrete and expand to the size of a quarter.

Lesson learned, don't fire a projectile from a firearm unless you have a suitable backstop.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you George.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Popped into Wally World for some WD 40 to spray down the Ranger and eased over to check out ammo. They had 1000 round boxes of Winchester 40gr 22lr for $50 and some change. Bought 2 leaving another 10. That's right at a nickel each.

More winning

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mart

[Linked Image]

Mart, that is way too simple as solutions go. Really.

Your Loony Friend,

Dan

PS: Nice flinter, very nice indeed! Did you notice the lock is on the wrong side?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ploughman
George De Vries,

Your story reminds me of shooting half a Q-tip halfway through my hollow closet door from a .22 rifle. It was powered by a .22LR cartridge with the bullet pulled and the powder dumped out--just the priming. I had tacked a shoe box full of wadded newspaper(evidently not wadded tight enough) onto the closet door for a target. The half Q-tip penetrated the lid of the box, the wadded paper, the bottom of the box, and the outer plywood layer of the door. From a distance of eight feet, maybe. Like you, I was amazed and distressed.

Take a close look at the target and ammo. 4mm translates to .17 caliber on this side of the pond. Primer propelled only, ~800 fps out the muzzle....over the Chrony.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
PS: Nice flinter, very nice indeed! Did you notice the lock is on the wrong side?

Actually I noticed the lock is on the correct side. Most people don't realize this but everyone is born right handed. Only the truly gifted among us recover from it to become correctly handed. smile

Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.