-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for a recommendation for someone to finish a Brown Pound'r stock for me. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a pre-finished stock and just have it bedded or if I'll purchase a stock blank and have it finished from there.

Thoughts on which way to go and who to go with?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brown Precision stocks can be a PITA to finish and not for the faint of heart. DAMHIKT. Typically the unfinished, inletted blank comes with a heavy flash along the mold lines and several small voids and pin holes elsewhere on the stock. Removing the flash is not all that difficult, but care must be taken. The thickness of the gel coat can vary considerably, and one does not want to sand thru the gel coat. Same goes with filling and sanding voids. Lastly, you'll need to find a means to anchor a recoil pad as the butt is a hollow core filled with light foam.

Don't get me wrong, they can be finished and finished up nicely, but it takes patience. Experience has taught me to paint the stock with a primer before doing any sanding or filing. Doing so gives you a 'gauge' as to how deep you're sanding. When all is said and done - flash line removed, pin holes and voids filled to my satisfaction, I have painted them with a good primer/filler, and topped them off with a 'semi' textured paint.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate the response WiFowler.

Anyone else know of someone who would be willing to finish a Brown Precision kevlar stock?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm doing my first Brown Pounder as an amateur. Just finished the in letting, next is the exterior work, then bedding and paint. This project is teaching me to think things through and patience.

Last edited by KLM; 05/11/17.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Let us know how it turns out. Pictures, pictures, pictures.

IC B2

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Will do. A couple of members gave me some tips so I owe the board pictures. Btw that abolt 300wm is a .5 moa shooter off the bench. My son loves it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KLM
Will do. A couple of members gave me some tips so I owe the board pictures. Btw that abolt 300wm is a .5 moa shooter off the bench. My son loves it.

Glad to hear it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.