Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Got rained out of bushhogging today so I took a little time for a quick and dirty show and tell on these three. I compared the Montana and Forbes a while back and I'll try to put some of those pics in. I think that post was originally here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/9208537/Re_Tale_of_the_tape_84M_vs_20B

The Kimber and Forbes had base/rings, DNZ on the Kimber, TLW's on the Forbes so a couple of oz's either way.

Fieldcraft (6.5 Creed), 5 lb 0.6 oz:
[Linked Image]

Kimber (243), 5 lb 5.0 oz:
[Linked Image]

Forbes (.308), 5 lb 6.8 oz:
[Linked Image]

Barreled action weights

Fieldcraft, 3 lb 7.4 oz:
[Linked Image]

Kimber, 3 lb 9.2 oz:
[Linked Image]

Forbes, 3 lb 14.2 oz:
[Linked Image]

continued.....

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

Stock weights (with trigger guards)

Fieldcraft, 1 lb 9.2 oz:
[Linked Image]

Kimber, 1 lb 11.8 oz:
[Linked Image]

Forbes, 1 lb 8.6oz:
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Narrowing it down to just the Montana and Fieldcraft barrel contours.

Barrel contours. The Montana is slightly heavier and has a noticeably longer shank.

Field craft at 21":
[Linked Image]

Montana at 22":
[Linked Image]

Fieldcraft shank:
[Linked Image]

Montana shank:
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
A note on the Forbes stock and the Fiedlcraft stock. They are very close but are different stocks. The Fieldcraft has an ~1/2" longer forend. The Fieldcraft is also more radiused on all edges such as the cheekpiece and grip cap. As best I could tell the drop, etc are the same between them. Both the Fieldcraft and the Forbes have a tighter/more closed grip than the open grip of the Montana.

Notice the sharper outlines of the Forbes:
[Linked Image]

The Fieldcraft is full-length bedded. It is individually bedded as is easy to see since the serial numbers show up in the bedding. Mine isn't as clean as the bedding job that Tennessee posted pics of and the pillars can't be seen (if they are there), but it's a great bedding job, better than anything coming out aside from a custom:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After market trigger...straight from the factory. I haven't adjusted it, it is clean as is.
[Linked Image]

One place where the Fieldcraft went backward from the Forbes was the follower. It's a plastic piece that I'd like to replace:
[Linked Image]

The Forbes came with a nice (but noticeably heavier) milled follower...Kimber on left, Forbes on right:
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm waiting on brass right now but I picked up a box of factory and ran a couple of mag fulls through just to function test...pointed in a safe direction. With 4 down, the first round feeds a little rough. Everything after it was nice. I'll probably only carry 3 down so it's not a big deal to me.

Bolt is smooth, safety is smooth. Very nice.

Finish on the rifle is excellent. I really like the stock. If it's AG Composites that makes it I'm considering picking one up for a 700. Great pattern.

That's all for now. Gotta put a base on it and mount a scope.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice comparison work.

For more accuracy, here's a 7mm-08 MT bare with no bases/rings unlike your 243 MT pictured. The stock sans trigger guard is exactly 24.0 oz's on this one, which is the lightest of any MT I've owned. Most are in the 25.5 oz range on average...

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Now wait just a second...

Did you have a Forbes dipped Muddy Girl?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
JC - thank you for taking the time! Great work and very helpful.
One point of clarification - .243 kimber should not mic 0.66 at the muzzle if it is a factory tube - any chance the wrong pic slipped in there?
Thanks JCM!

Last edited by AKwolverine; 05/06/17. Reason: point, not pount
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good job on the comparison. I'm curious how the Barrett shoots. Is the action a PF or CRF?

Last edited by bwinters; 05/06/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Higbean
Now wait just a second...

Did you have a Forbes dipped Muddy Girl?

Don't judge me by my color.

That's the way it came to me. The Muddy Girl pics were from a previous post when I compared the Forbes to Montana. I sent it to Mr. Forbes for a rebarrel and Maple Leaf paint. My FFL at the time was the brother of a guy that trains MMA with me. His mom did the transfer and lectured me on being secure in my manhood when she saw the stock....I think she got worried about me rolling around on the mat with her son.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
JC - thank you for taking the time! Great work and very helpful.
One point of clarification - .243 kimber should not mic 0.66 at the muzzle if it is a factory tube - any chance the wrong pic slipped in there?
Thanks JCM!

The Kimber used in the pictures with weight, etc are all from a .308. The one I used for measuring the contour was a .223. It was done with calipers so wasn't perfect. There may also be some tape residue on the end of the barrel. I'll try it again later today measuring both the .308 and the .223 which should have the same contours I'm assuming.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
Good job on the comparison. I'm curious how the Barrett shoots. Is the action a PF or CRF?

I'm curious about how the Fieldcraft is going to shoot as well. It is a push feed. It is a very smooth action. From what I understand, the action is stainless, but the bolt is not stainless. The bolt is coated in NP3. I'll say again, it is very smooth. I've not had a firearm NP3 coated before but basics of it can be found here:

https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/np3/

I think Tennessee made a few posts on the Fieldcraft thread about the bolt with good pics.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Nice comparison work.

For more accuracy, here's a 7mm-08 MT bare with no bases/rings unlike your 243 MT pictured. The stock sans trigger guard is exactly 24.0 oz's on this one, which is the lightest of any MT I've owned. Most are in the 25.5 oz range on average...

[Linked Image]

Thanks Brad. I didn't pull the bases on the Montana for Forbes so it's not a true comparison...but close. There is always some variation on stock weights and you've had enough of the Montana's to know. I only weighted the .308 stock, I should do the .223's as well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
JCM,
The Montana barrell should mic right at 0.56. I just checked a couple.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
looks like his very-near calipers show .566", so pretty much spot on.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've yet to see a factory 84m Montana that wasn't .565" (or dang close) at the muzzle.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jay, why is it that the strongest man at the fire has the most fly weight rifles? NULAs, Montanas, Forbes, now Fieldcraft. Am I missing any? You should be a good judge of it. Looks like a nice, well put together rig. Cant wait to see how it shoots for you.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'll make no claim at being strong...especially right now, I have a flat tire on my right foot. I can say I'm carrying extra weight on a .223 Montana due to excess tape residue...

I measured the 2 Montana's again and they were both ~.56+/-...after I cleaned tape residue off. The .308 was pretty clean but the .223 (which the original measurement came from) was THICK.

The Montana's have a noticeably longer shank and just slightly larger muzzle contour.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is helpful thanks. Im trying to decide between a montana or a Barrett in 7mm08. Leaning more towards the Barrett presently.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
This is helpful thanks. Im trying to decide between a montana or a Barrett in 7mm08. Leaning more towards the Barrett presently.

Yeah, this is where I am. I think the accuracy is going to be more consistently there in the Barret over Kimber.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 35, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,322 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,272
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.