Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have two sons that are regularly shooting clays on the weekend. Between the two of them and myself, I'm starting to see where a loading shotshells might be an idea. I also have a friend interested in giving me his Lee Load-All in 12 GA. Here's what I'm thinking:

1) A 12 GA target load filled with clean reclaimed shot from Rotometals or some other source.
2) The same load filled with #6 shot for squirrels

3) After I get good at it, I want to try a 16 GA load for my grandfather's Model 12.

Is this going to be a reasonable project? I've been reloading for over 15 years, but this would be my first attempt at shotshells.

Additionally: If you think this is feasible, I'm looking for suggestions for a good starting load. I went on Hodgdon's data center the other day just to test the idea and got my head spinning in a hurry. Hodgdon has loads for GU 1225 wads, which I could not find sold anywhere. I find the right wad and the hull is out of stock.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when I was reloading. I used either 700X or Clays for powder. Primers were Winchester 209. Wads were "
Claybuster". I would get once fired hulls from the trap club. I used Winchester AA. Lots of data. AA hulls have change from when I reloaded--most reloaders today use Remington "Gun Club" or STS. Federal gold Metal is another popular one.

What that said I'm of the opinion now that shooting the cheap $5/box target or game loads in 12 guage is the way to go. For hunting loads--I'd buy the factory 1 1/4 oz loads.

For the 16 guage-----reloading could be a money saver. I'd think getting hulls would be a problem.

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I'm beginning to see that. I finally figured out a proper set of components and got them all priced out. Botttom line: I'll have to load about 5000 rounds of 12 GA to break even versus what I can get at Dunham's if I watch the weekly sales circulars.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You also need to factor in your time. Most shooters at my club reload because they enjoy it & it gives them something to do. Most are retired. For me I buy the $5 a box, Ill get 10 cases when it goes on sale.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two nice MEC's, a 12 Sizemaster and a 20 600 Jr.
They have not been unpacked from my move. I moved 6 years ago.
I shoot about 2 flats a month of 12's and 1 1/2 - 2 flats of 20's.
It just doesn't pay for me to reload. My free time is just to valuable to sit at a bench loading shells.
I do not like shooting the cheap "promo" loads in my 12. It doesn't feed them well and they pattern poorly. My 20 double doesn't pattern well with them ether.
To reload a shell the quality of a AA, Top Gun or Gun Club/STS it will cost about $4-4.50 a box (if you scrounge up free hulls off the ground or buy once fired). If you are buying them at full retail of $7.50-10.00 a box there is a savings to be had.
But, If you are a thrifty shopper you can get that retail price WAY down. Winchester has their rebate going on now. $2.00 a box. I bought 10 flats of AA's on sale for $68.00 a flat. With the rebate That's $48.00 a flat. If I save the hulls I can sell them to guys at the club for $10 for 500. That brings the cost down to $43.00 a flat!
Reeds has a big sale and I picked 10 flats of 20 ga Top Gun for $49.00 a flat. Some guys will buy the fired hulls but I can only get $5.00-6.00 for 500 but that brings the cost down to about $46.50 a flat.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
So many shotshell reloaders are shooting 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads these days you cannot generally buy at Walmart or big box store. When you do find the lighter weight loads they cost more than standard or "AA" or STS" 1 1/8 oz loads.

Hence why I still continue to reload.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot 7/8 and 1 oz loads out of my 20.
Reeds had AA 1 oz for the same $68.00 as the 1 1/8 oz. 1 oz Top Guns too.
I have seen 1 oz Gun Clubs at Dick's.Dick's has sales on Gun Clubs throughout the year. You just have to act fast and bring a two wheeler!
I keep my reloading gear in case I want to cook up a special load for ducks or turkeys. I understand reloading specialty loads. But if someone is shooting their hunting shotgun, and it's a auto they are best off to shoot a 1 1/8 oz @ 1200 for the gun to cycle properly.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As you have discovered, reloading standard 12 ga shells is not really cost effective. Even buying in bulk, (5000 primers, 5000wads, 8# kegs of powder) one can barely beat factory loads in cost and if one buys lesser amounts they will quickly find the cost to exceed factory loads. For the vast majority of purposes, factory promo loads will more than adequately cover any use the typical shooter will need.

Then there is the time element- one can load 4 boxes of shells in an hour with a single stage MEC with a primer feed if one has their operation down pat. Using a LEE is going to take markedly longer due to its design. The LEE is also not nearly as well built which will cause problems down the line. I used a MEC Grabber for many years which allowed me to keep up with my wife, stepson, and myself recreationally shoot trap and skeet over the summer. My 600Jr took 4 hours + per week to stay even versus an hour or so with the Grabber.

I still load 12 ga but only because one can't get inexpensive 7/8 oz loads. Buying Promo powder, generic wads by the case, sleeves of primers from S&B/Nobel/Cheddite/etc, and either reclaimed or shot I bought by the pallet years ago I can save well over a dollar a box compared to factory. That is the only reason I still load 12 ga, otherwise it would be factory for me. Once I run out of shot I may revise my decision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back before my eyes went south, I was VERY good at buying components cheap (places like Connies components), when components were available. I was down to about $2.35 per box, using Fiocchi primers, GU wads, Tightwad powder (or Promo) and 7/8's lead. Bought by the pallet at $11 per bag..... I had a sporting clay's family of four to keep in shells, and it wasn't uncommon to go through a flat and a half per week during the season.

You generally can't buy the 7/8ths standard velocity loads locally, but you can buy them mail order pretty easily. For me, reloading was not only much cheaper, it was a 'zen' activity that was way better than screwing around on the internet or watching TV.

With today's component situation, I'd be looking for deals on pallets of loaded ammo......

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (2UP, 338reddog, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.