Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why do the Howa rifles seem to be so underated?
Very accurate rifles with a Sako family heritage. A bit overweight maybe, but still fine rifles.
Very inexpensive on the used market.
The worst thing I can say about them is with regards to their triggers. However, that's an easy fix.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Good question. I like mine plenty! There's a lot of good ones out there, however. Lots of competition.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got three. And one is a Swede.......
Got a deluxe Vanguard stock coming in for it.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My Vanguard is a great shooter. Bought it used from a member. 6.5 Creedmoor.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have 2 of them in .243, no complaints. Great low budget rifles!

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I wouldn't even call them low budget. They are great rifles at a very appealing price. The only problem for me is that I am left handed and for some reason How has chosen not to produce a lefty. Otherwise I would own a few.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There seems to be a real dearth of custom parts. My Christmas list wish is for a steel trigger guard unit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Howa is a Weatherby Vanguard VGX chambered for 30-06. Fine rifle.

Last edited by TNrifleman; 05/07/17.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I am a lover of classic rifles.
Mostly Mausers, M-70s Springfields, Enfields and Mannlichers. I like the controlled feed extractors.

BUT ---- As a full time gunsmith, if I am pressed to pic my favorite push-feed action of all, I rate the HOWA as good as any and better than many. I actually prefer them to most of their competitors.

If I were to make a suggestion to the Japanese as to what they could do to increase sales I would ask for an optional steel trigger guard and floor-plate. For custom gun work, the painted aluminum parts are a turn off to many.
Maybe a metal follower too, but that's less important then the parts that show.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I agree. The Mauser is my all-time favorite. But, deference to the esteemed Finn, they do have some glaring deficiencies from a sporting standpoint.
With the understanding that Germans tend to over engineer.......
The flared bolt shroud is not so much needed if the had aimed the bolt vents at the magazine well instead of the left raceway. Winchester finally changed theirs. The recoil lug is too small as is the rest action tang. The controlled feed,,,, debatable.
Now the shouldered during pin. Great idea.
If I were too modify the Mauser. .... I'd give it the old style Sako / Howa / Nosler rear tang. Vent the bolt vents into the magazine. Lengthen the recoil lug while shortening the riser on the front tang of the bottom metal. Return to single broaching. Use Ruger style ring system. Since there would be no thumb cut, drop the bolt guide rail but keep the third lug.
Just rambling.......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll take the AL-U-minny-Um over a cheesy plastic DM any day. I suspect that the lack of interest in them as the basis for custom builds explains the lack of aftermarket stuff. Changing the bottom metal to steel would only worsen the weight issue, which most people under 40 or so probably consider a bigger deal than a little light metal. At least it works like it's supposed to, unlike some.

My current one is a Vanguard S2 and it's been totally trouble-free. Forged steel action, including the one-piece bolt and easy bolt disassembly. Amazing value.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/07/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was to buy a Howa, and I've been close a few times, it would be a barreled action so I could put the stock of choice on without having the factory version taking up closet space. The factory stocks just don't appeal to me, especially the Hogue. The new Alpine is much better, but would prefer 22" of barrel.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had 4, all good rifles and plenty accurate.
1 - 223, good varmint accuracy
1 - 270 W, probably the most 'beautiful stock I've owned, black walnut, good grain + small knots.
1 - ,06, close to figure of the 270 W.
---- all heavier than I liked-- however I wish I had the 06 back.
1 - Wby ? Fiberguard ? green composite, 20" bll. - 270 W.

IMO can't beat the quality for the $$$.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Best mass produced push feed on the market, there is no better made. Every last one I have bought has shot well and the gun goes bang everytime. They are super easy to field strip with no tools, they are easy to glass bed into another stock and the bottom metal is better then anything on a Remington,Salvage even Weatherby Mark V( aluminum bottom metal). How Remington can charge 200 bucks on average or more over one of these speaks volumes of mass marketing on the US side and the availability of aftermarket parts.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A bit overweight maybe

That is an understatement. And the only reason I no longer own one. I think that if someone is putting together a rifle for a purpose where weight isn't an issue they are one of the best rifles out there. But weight is an issue with me. A Howa unscoped weighs more than any rifle I own with scope and mounts included.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I usually hunt from a stand so weight isn't an issue.
The heaviest calibre i have is a 30-06.
Weight can be your friend in the fight against recoil.
A 6.5 pound 338 magnum, or similar does nothing for me.
Weight savings can be had by using straight power scopes with smaller objective lens.
Never could warm up to a large objective variable.
8 - 9 pounds for a scoped rifle isn't out of line.
There again good marketing does wonders for what we think we need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have 3 of them. As stated before, a bit over weight but accurate and trouble-free rifles.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For a bit more money, you can get the Vanguard version which is still available in SS and has a couple of minor tweaks, along with a much nicer stock. Just saw one last night, a SS .257 Weatherby, at an amazing price.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
For a bit more money, you can get the Vanguard version which is still available in SS and has a couple of minor tweaks, along with a much nicer stock. Just saw one last night, a SS .257 Weatherby, at an amazing price.

I had the S2 stainless in 257 weatherby , I put it in a B&C vanguard stock and bedded the front lug. My brother now ones it and he headshot 2 pigs that were roughly 200 lbs at 125 yards with a single shot apieced. It shoots bugholes and that is with factory 100 grain bullets

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Imho the vanguard howa platform is probably the best value on the mkt today, and much more comparable to the 700 and mod 70 than say a rRAR or Savage. The two makers have two issues . One is the weight which could be helped by offering a lighter profile 22" barrel. The howa doesn't help itself imho with the hogue stock. I can't stand the clammy feel of the rubber skin. I fitted my vanguard with one of the butler creek classic style stocks and while it isn't as hitec as a mcmllian it is a pretty decent stock. I would suggest that with a lighter barrel and dump the hogue they would be even more popular.

Last edited by bangeye; 05/08/17.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,117 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.