Print Thread
Hop To
S
salsola Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Finally got out for a little fly- fishing in a nearby stream. XXXX Creek is a small stream in the Gila Wilderness. The approach to the stream gives the casual observer no idea that several miles back into the wilderness lie wild trout. More amazing is that these fish made it through a nasty wildifire in 2012 that pretty much wiped out most of the trout streams in the area. I hiked in for a quick overnight fishing trip and caught fish after fish on foam ants and caddis flies. But in reality anything resembling food would have worked. The fish pretty much smash whatever hits the water.

The hike in. Hot 'n dry.

[Linked Image]

Typical fishing hole. A local once described fishing this creek as climbing 'miles of watery stairs'. That's about right. No trail, just hike the creek and hop the boulders. These will have 20- 30 fish and the first fish hooked with draw all the others to circle around at the thrashing. Unhook the first and keep on catching the others.

[Linked Image]

Big fish of the day. Yeah, they aren't big. But they are feisty and eager to please.

[Linked Image]

Bear sign was common, but I never saw one. Probably just missed this one.

[Linked Image]

Ready for the pack-out. Always willing.

[Linked Image]

Headin' home I was hiking with determination to beat a developing storm and I stepped over the white rock and damn near onto a blacktail rattlesnake. She was buzzin' away and my momentum carried me a bit too far. She coiled and struck but I had simultaneously converted my horizontal movement to vertical and missed the bite!
[Linked Image]

Thanks for reading and happy fishing!

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow😳 Great pic's & story!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good stuff!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Great post. I read about fishing for these in Southwestern fly fishing and have wanted to come that way ever since. I see a trout/quail trip in my future.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Great pictures! Looks like a fun way to spend a day relaxing...with a little excitement thrown in with that rattlesnake! Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
ph you are having TOO MUCH FUN.

S
salsola Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Great post. I read about fishing for these in Southwestern fly fishing and have wanted to come that way ever since. I see a trout/quail trip in my future.

About those quail.... maybe 1/4 mile after I long-jumped that rattlesnake I bumped a pair mearns (montezuma) quail that flushed from about 3 feet away. I was still pretty high-strung from the rattlesnake and the quail put me back in the red again. Had to laugh at myself for a little bit after that.

I think a fall fishing and quail hunting trip would be pretty cool. You could even add a fall turkey hunt to the menu. Quail season in NM opens Nov 15 and the snakes are usually underground by then.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Envious. Things are still running bank full around here.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those eager small water trout are just as fun as anything, especially with a good adventure like the one you had. Damn this Sierra run off.... Thanks for sharing

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your dogs must be snake trained, or just smart! One of the most dangerous scenarios with snakes is hiking up that sort of stream when the water is high enough to make a racket and mask the rattle. It's hard to be sure to "keep your hands where you can see them" when you're climbing in places like that...and ol' Granpa No-Shoulders doesn't like to be touched. A good friend very nearly lost his right hand because of a situation like that in the Sierra Nevada a few years ago.

Great pix and story. And dogs. And place for an adventure!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

571 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.