Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This topic has

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang, I was hoping for a good "how-to" thread.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got to skin a decent black bear under decent conditions yesterday and took photos... I was whipped last night and fell asleep mid-post... fleshing a hide and making a big bear worth of chili verde comes first... then I will get some pictures up with the way I skin bears and this should show why very clearly.

Lad shot his first bear and did it with a bow. One arrow + two lungs + one heart = four steps. Have not put a tape to it, but thinking it might nudge six feet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on the bear.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Got to skin a decent black bear under decent conditions yesterday and took photos... I was whipped last night and fell asleep mid-post... fleshing a hide and making a big bear worth of chili verde comes first... then I will get some pictures up with the way I skin bears and this should show why very clearly.

Lad shot his first bear and did it with a bow. One arrow + two lungs + one heart = four steps. Have not put a tape to it, but thinking it might nudge six feet.

Congrats! Good shooting.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tap. Tap.

Wake up!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't listen to this guy. It's doubtful he knows anything. wink The only real way to skin an animal is face-first ...

[Linked Image]

....no cuts in the skin; just separate the lips from the jaws and peel 'er right back over the head being careful not to nick the hide so you can inflate the whole thing for drying after you've fleshed it. (What good taxidermist won't appreciate not having to do any sewing? grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Congratulations and your successful bear hunt...back to the topic at hand...the best way to skin any animal is from the stomach. start from the under stomach and pill your way to the rest of the body.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Be sure to save and render that fat. NOT inside!

No better leather treatment in the world!
Many claim it is great for cooking, I have no experience there.

Last edited by LouisB; 05/11/17.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
TTT

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Still buried...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Canned and retort-bagged in chili Verde form all but the backstraps and finished last night.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
another three days....
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i had to do it without the art essay and im pretty sure i can be better.
so btt ....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Don't listen to this guy. It's doubtful he knows anything. wink The only real way to skin an animal is face-first ...

[Linked Image]

....no cuts in the skin; just separate the lips from the jaws and peel 'er right back over the head being careful not to nick the hide so you can inflate the whole thing for drying after you've fleshed it. (What good taxidermist won't appreciate not having to do any sewing? grin )

You've heard that Chuck Norris has a bear skin like that on his floor haven't you? It's not dead just afraid to move.;)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bastid says he's "busy". wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, brother to the first bear killer went and whacked another slightly bigger bear and I have been dealing with fleshing, butchering and sausaging that bear on top of two rush bedding jobs and a rush stock repair for bear hunters today. And at the same time building some railing for Riley's new digs.

I been hooked up!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting thing on the two boars the brothers killed, both skulls green scored 18 5/16"... good bears... the first (bow killed) was 12" x 6 5/16" while the second was 11 9/16" x 6 12/16".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Well, brother to the first bear killer went and whacked another slightly bigger bear and I have been dealing with fleshing, butchering and sausaging that bear on top of two rush bedding jobs and a rush stock repair for bear hunters today. And at the same time building some railing for Riley's new digs.

I been hooked up!

So what's the hold up? Getting film developed? wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Right now I am letting epoxy set after mixing and will be putting the second bedding job away for the evening/afternoon; tending a smoker full of bear summer sausage; cleaning the oven which got a bit greasy from the first batch of sausage yesterday; resalted two bear hides; letting glue dry on some railing parts; taking a five-minute breather...

I would rather go the ancient printing route than deal with PhotoPusBucket!

wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
106 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.