Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have always loved the taste of food cooked over charcoal but mainly use propane due to convenience. Well, my Charbroil is on its last legs but with a daughter graduating and other life ‘stuff’ didn’t have the cash to get a Webber like I plan to in the near future.

I’m also intrigued by the BGE but that was out of the budget and so grabbed a Webber Kettle Premium. I gave it an initial burn to heat it up and get the paint fumes out of it but really don’t know the tricks to running it efficiently. I use natural lump not brickets. So….

How do you run the top and bottom vents to achieve a good temp for thicker cuts of meat or slower cooking like wings or ribs? Open it up full blast is a given for steaks. Also do you guys use these on top of wood decks? I placed some ceramic cheap tiles beneath it to protect the wood and have a water bucket standing by, but still don’t know if this is a bad practice. Finally, any good accessories that are worth picking up?

Thanks

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
djb, I think the consensus is to run the bottom vent wide open and adjust the top for heat.

A pizza stone might come in handy. Home Depot usually has them or you can order them online.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
djb, I think the consensus is to run the bottom vent wide open and adjust the top for heat.

This is what I do and it works well.

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Look up Owens BBQ; look up the Vortex they list. For a minimal investment you can slow smoke or scorch heat anything you want to grill. I'm a happy user, but just bought myself a BGE.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's always been my understanding that the top vent should stay wide open anytime you are cooking and the bottom vent is for controlling the amount of heat. I always put the charcoal on one side so as to be able to have temperature choices for placing the meat.

I have never had any issues whatsoever cooking directly over a wood deck, the ash catcher works great at catching anything that drops down.

Did you get one of those chimney devices for lighting the charcoal? They work great along with a propane torch or one of those electric iron starters.

I close all vents when I'm done and then next time I cook the lump charcoal that is left over is gets used again.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run mine bottom wide open and adjust top for heat. Some simple metal scraps suffice for 90+% of anything you'd ever want to do with charcoal. No need for expensive accoutrements if you're a bit handy.

It will for sure not get as hot, or burn low as long, as a BGE, but it has to be about the best damn charcoal burner going if you ain't into dropping $1k + on a giant clay flower pot!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks folks. I've been having a lot of fun with the new grill and 4 out 5 meals have been great - I let the coals get a little to cold for some burgers then I 'Chernobyled' (my dad's term for burnt) them when I added some more coal. Timing is the toughest thing to get a handle on right now. Smoked chicken wings were so darned good I didn't even want to use any sauce, and I love sauces.

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Some simple metal scraps suffice for 90+% of anything you'd ever want to do with charcoal. No need for expensive accoutrements if you're a bit handy.

I had some old stainless steel mixing bowls that I fabricated into some charcoal holders for indirect cooking. They worked great. I need to find another and try to replicate the vortex concept.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.