Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have never used an API so can't comment on it but they do appear to be very well constructed. I have used Sumitt ,Ol'Man treestands in the past and Gorilla ladder stand. Summit was the easiest to pack out of those but the Ol'man was one quiet SOB going up a tree and that seat was very comfortable.

I've got a Gorilla two man ladder stand that I purchased in 2004 and still using it today. It has literally spent its life in the woods, I've taken it down once to wire brush and repaint; best ladder stand ever, but HEAVY.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/09/17.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If you lived closer I would give you a heck of a deal on a Summit Viper

Yeah too bad. I'm down your way once a year, but not coming that direction this year.

It's not going anywhere , in its usual spot in the attic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned and hunted out Profane, Baker (Standard and Slim Jim), TSS, Loggy Bayou, API, and Summit tree stands, and the Summit Viper is, by far, my favorite. Wouldn't trade the two that I have for any stand made.

Last edited by 257Deland; 05/09/17.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like that Summit used a plastic break away foot stirrup. Never and I mean never use a stand with a nylon strap to lift the foot platform. Cut it off if you have one and replace with a bungee strap.

My top seat platform came off the tree a couple years ago. I was wearing a safety harness and line but the line never caught me. I was left hanging upside down my my ankles in web strap. I like to never got loose and it was a miracle I didn't break both ankles. I would have been fine and protected by my harness if I hadn't been caught by my ankles. A vine pulled the pin on the seat while I was descending is my best guess at to what happened.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll second the tree walker stands!

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by wildone

Turd.....................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I use two climbers, Summit Viper and Lone Wolf (hand climber). The Summit is light, easy to set up, and comfortable. The Lone Wolf is lighter, not as comfortable, but the big plus to it is how compact it folds down to. Almost everywhere I hunt is either up or down a mountain side. The Summit's cables catch on limbs and mountain sides, especially when walking down a steep slope. Because of how much easier it is to carry, especially over rough stuff, the Lone Wolf is about all I use now.

I'm not climbing mountainsides but I have both and agree with everything above.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by wildone

Turd.....................

Not quite sure what exactly you are trying to say with that statement. If it is the stand then to each his own , I happen to like mine. Maybe you could elaborate for us .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably referring to this - term of endearment perhaps, like "you suck". grin
[Linked Image] [/quote]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Probably referring to this - term of endearment perhaps, like "you suck". grin
[Linked Image]
[/quote]

What a hog! Saskatchewan buck?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I use and like my Summit Goliath. It's the same as the Summit Viper, but with a little larger top. It uses the same base, but the top is a little wider which is nice if you are a bigger guy or for if you're wearing bulky winter clothes. It adds about 1lb over the Viper.

http://www.summitstands.com/summit-goliath-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oakr-camo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For sure it is....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever watch a movie when someone comes home after a long sea voyage and kisses the ground? They never kiss trees, only the good ol' terra firma. If we were made to climb trees, we'd have big claws and bushy tails. I'm glad we just have mulies and elk here so I can keep my feet well planted where they belong. I've never fallen off the ground. cool

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I like that Summit used a plastic break away foot stirrup. Never and I mean never use a stand with a nylon strap to lift the foot platform. Cut it off if you have one and replace with a bungee strap.

My top seat platform came off the tree a couple years ago. I was wearing a safety harness and line but the line never caught me. I was left hanging upside down my my ankles in web strap. I like to never got loose and it was a miracle I didn't break both ankles. I would have been fine and protected by my harness if I hadn't been caught by my ankles. A vine pulled the pin on the seat while I was descending is my best guess at to what happened.

Dam, sounds rough. I'm a small frame kind of guy so I have the mini viper, love it.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.