Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I usually rifle hunt from fixed ladder stands, but since I've took up crossbow hunting, I'd like to purchase a climber; I'm considering the purchase of a Summit Viper SD; tipping the scales at 20 lbs. I'd like to keep the weight minimal due to the rugged terrain on a lease I'm going in on.

What would you recommend? As stated above, I'll use it for crossbow hunting and it will probably get used occasionally for rifle season.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/08/17.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is the exact stand I use, and would not trade it for anything.. There are one's a little lighter on the market, but what you give up in weight you will loose many times over in comfort.
It's a very balanced stand in that sense. I have been using summit Vipers for two decades.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
safety, sturdiness, comfort
weight should be the last consideration. you spend the
least amount of time carrying it. i never could handle a
shaky squeaky stand. i'd as soon hunt a brush blind.

fwiw i've had the most use out of a doc's recliner stand,
about 30 pounds

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've gone through quite a few stands over the years before settling on a Summit Viper as my go to stand. I think you'll like it, as someone else commented it's a nice combination of comfort, weight, and ease of setup.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I kinda like the Ole Man with the net seat and I don't have any of the lighter models.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Summit, can sit all day in them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Summit Viper SD. I pack that climber anywhere from 1/2 to 2 miles over rough, steep, rocky Ozark big timber public land. First thing I did was attach a MOLLE II waist belt and shoulder straps. That's a must for comfortable packing. I replaced the bulky factory seat with a net sling seat and added a set of Third Hand Archery stabilizer straps. The Summit is easy climbing and very comfortable for all day sits. The stabilizer straps make it solid as the recliner at home. My son uses a Lone Wolf stand and loves it. The one thing I do like about the Lone Wolf is how flat it will nest together and pack up for carrying.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't beat Summit for safety and comfort. Adding padded shoulder straps is the way to go.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate all the feedback.

MOGC: Lone Wolf was the only other brand I was considering, but I'm leaning hard towards the Summit.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I agree with the others on the Summit Viper for bowhunting. As MOGC said get the Third Hand Archery stabilizer straps, when properly adjusted the stand will not move. I use three of the Summit's and sometimes pack one in early and hide it.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you lived closer I would give you a heck of a deal on a Summit Viper

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been using an API Grand Slam for about 20 years. I love it. Instead of having a cable, it has a plastic coated motorcycle chain which really grabs the tree well. It has a padded seat back that I found got in the way, so I cut it off. I don't sit down much anyway.

http://www.basspro.com/API-Outdoors...eme-Climbing-Treestand/product/10211849/

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have never used an API so can't comment on it but they do appear to be very well constructed. I have used Sumitt ,Ol'Man treestands in the past and Gorilla ladder stand. Summit was the easiest to pack out of those but the Ol'man was one quiet SOB going up a tree and that seat was very comfortable.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The summit is an awesome stand but it is definitely a Cadillac in size and weight.

The Lone Wolf is more ergonomic, lighter, packs down easier.... but is $$$

The only Lone Wolf that can rival the comfort of a Viper is the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb Wide Combo.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Ever heard of tree walkers?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use two climbers, Summit Viper and Lone Wolf (hand climber). The Summit is light, easy to set up, and comfortable. The Lone Wolf is lighter, not as comfortable, but the big plus to it is how compact it folds down to. Almost everywhere I hunt is either up or down a mountain side. The Summit's cables catch on limbs and mountain sides, especially when walking down a steep slope. Because of how much easier it is to carry, especially over rough stuff, the Lone Wolf is about all I use now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Reason I asked: I hear plenty of folks talk about switching from a summit, lone wolf, old man, Ali, etc to a TreeWalker, but don't know if I've ever heard of anyone ever switching back?. .. from a TreeWalker to something else.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Ever heard of tree walkers?

Yep; looked at 'em and they do look nice.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If you lived closer I would give you a heck of a deal on a Summit Viper

Yeah too bad. I'm down your way once a year, but not coming that direction this year.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[quote][/quote]
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I've been using an API Grand Slam for about 20 years. I love it. Instead of having a cable, it has a plastic coated motorcycle chain which really grabs the tree well. It has a padded seat back that I found got in the way, so I cut it off. I don't sit down much anyway.

http://www.basspro.com/API-Outdoors...eme-Climbing-Treestand/product/10211849/

Used an API (something) Slam hang-on stand and quick sticks for years. That thing was a mofo to hang, but it was a very well-built, comfortable stand. Sold it just because it was a bit$% to hang.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
756 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.