Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I think I am going to go ahead and order the Leupold FX-II 6x36 from their custom shop and was planning to go with the #4 reticle but the #1 intrigues me. Does anyone have any experience with the Leupold German #1 reticle? Any pros or cons compared to the #4 reticle?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do they even still offer the #1? I think I remember reading that they stopped. I tried to find a list of their offered reticles but didn't find them on their site. I would be interested in a #1 also.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
If you select the scope and click on the "Build Your Dream Scope" it will take you to the custom shop and then click the reticles and the #1 is there

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a German No. 1 reticle installed on a VX III 1.5-5 a couple of years ago. I really like it and prefer it to their German No. 4. The No. 1 replaced their German no. 4 which was, to me, much too thick in the cross hair lines (the small lines). I had used a Kahles No. 4 and expected the Leupold to be similar, it wasn't.

Here is a link to their reticles. The German 1 and 4 are on page 7, at the top. The No. 4 shows pretty thin lines but they were a lot wider than the illustration. I would call them and discuss it with them before ordering one.

https://www.leupold.com/reticles/

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The #1 reticle may...or may not work for you.

I have a #1 and found that every time I'm a little rushed I pull shots 4-6" low. Turns out, I lose focus on the absolute tip of the #1 and focus on the base of the tip - where it goes flat.

The #4 on the other hand (*and duplex's I might add) I tend to be much more accurate in general.

I absolute LOVE the concept of the #1...but honestly, it just didn't work out the way I'd hoped.

Good luck!

Hunt Africa while you can
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the kahles #4 but have heard the same thing about the leupold #4's

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm planning on switching at least one low power variable over to the #1 this summer. By design, that's gotta be a fast and good in low light reticle. Maybe user error won't crop up with that decision. Having said that, I am not sure I'd want the #1 above 4x, just due to type of use and expectations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the #1 in a 3x and find it just OK......would much prefer the old picket/post as the horizontals in the #1 are way too coarse.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've got the #1 in a 3x and find it just OK......would much prefer the old picket/post as the horizontals in the #1 are way too coarse.

Please explain what you mean by that? I guess I don't see how the horizontals should be a hindrance. Don't you do all your aiming with the tip of the center post? Do you mean the horizontals are so thick that they obscure too much of the target?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I put a #1 in an FXII, 4X. The only experience I've had with the #4 was Premier Reticles 4a version in a Leupold 6X42. They have a wider thin opening than the "standard" #4's. I liked and used the 4a for a number of years. But I like the Heavy Duplex better. I seem to acquire the aiming point a tad faster and it works for casual ranging of game.
The Number One is, w/o a doubt the fastest, easiest to pickup reticle I've ever used. It also shows up better at night than anything I've used in a non illuminated reticle. It's only fault is that it's tough to do a holdover at ranges over 300 yds. in a low magnification scope. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 05/07/17.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I used the #4 illuminated one in a VX-R a few years ago in South Africa. Loved it.....so did three PH's
who wanted to look through it. Quick and well lit....
I think the #1 would be a little too thick for me. JMHO of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by VernAK

Please explain what you mean by that? I guess I don't see how the horizontals should be a hindrance. Don't you do all your aiming with the tip of the center post? Do you mean the horizontals are so thick that they obscure too much of the target?

The horizontals simply cover too much of the area.......blocking view of the target.....if you had wolves running across the tundra or a bear in the alders
there, is just too much obliterated.....IMO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got two scopes with the #1 and it is hands down my favorite for the hunting I do. I've never used a #4. Like O posted holding high isn't as easy, but I never end up looking at a deer through my #1 scope and asking where is the reticle. OTOH most of my friends don't like it and maybe you wont either.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have used the Trijicon Accupoints with the post with the triangle on top and while not as thick as a #1 reticle I have had no problem using them at longer ranges. I will call Leupold tomorrow to discuss the options

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like that post with the green triangle......best of all for my type of big game.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have used the Trijicon Accupoints with the post with the triangle on top and while not as thick as a #1 reticle I have had no problem using them at longer ranges. I will call Leupold tomorrow to discuss the options

Yeah I like that as well as well as the #1 reticle , just tough to find these days but I would take one over a #4 and then a Plex.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rnovi
The #1 reticle may...or may not work for you.

I have a #1 and found that every time I'm a little rushed I pull shots 4-6" low. Turns out, I lose focus on the absolute tip of the #1 and focus on the base of the tip - where it goes flat.

The #4 on the other hand (*and duplex's I might add) I tend to be much more accurate in general.

I absolute LOVE the concept of the #1...but honestly, it just didn't work out the way I'd hoped.

Good luck!

This is it exactly. The tip does not align in the horizontal plane with the horizontal bars, so when used instinctively your eye tends to balance everything out resulting in low shots. I had to get rid of mine for the same reason.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Leupolds with the #1. The first is an early '90s vintage Vari-X II 1-4x20 that came from the factory with the #1 reticle. I like it a lot. About 5 years ago I traded into an old M-8 fixed 3x that had a thin standard crosshair. I sent it back for a #1. When it returned, I was disappointed to see that they had redesigned the #1. The earlier version had posts about the thickness of the Heavy Duplex, with the horizontal posts coming in pretty close to the vertical post. The "new" style is MUCH heavier with a lot more space between the horizontals and vertical. The reticle is so bold that I have to use a BIG target to sight it in because it totally obscures a lot of aiming point. Both scopes are on short range Ruger No. 1s, the 1-4x on a 9.3x74R and the 3x on a .45-70, so long range shooting is not likely, but the "new" reticle is really too bold for my taste. I have a couple of Leupold #4s and while the outer posts are very bold, at least they have a more precise aiming point.

Old Style

[Linked Image]

New Style

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SCGunNut; 05/09/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.