-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not a whole state but Chicago has to rank right up there. Every Monday we read about the hunters' success over the weekend. Crab bait is also plentiful.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
All I know is that Idaho sucks. I do not know Texas as, short of a pig hunt or two, I do not hunt here.

Unlucky for you I was there last year for a week, Idaho is at the top of my list for overall big game and I have hunted Texas too. I would not be shocked if when I die I wake up in a certain valley in Idaho , never been anywhere as beautiful.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll stay in Colorado.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty obvious which state is best when the question has to be phrased to exclude it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by EdM
All I know is that Idaho sucks. I do not know Texas as, short of a pig hunt or two, I do not hunt here.

Unlucky for you I was there last year for a week, Idaho is at the top of my list for overall big game and I have hunted Texas too. I would not be shocked if when I die I wake up in a certain valley in Idaho , never been anywhere as beautiful.
Shut up, dang it. You want everyone to find us?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what a person wants in the outdoors. If you want freedom to roam and plentiful access to hunting and fresh water fishing, it's hard to beat most of the states in the mountain west. Game available there varies some from state to state, but most are pretty good. But, to be close to salt fishing out west you have to be in WA/OR/CA and deal with different social/guv issues than most of the mountain states.

50 years ago I would have said California hands down - that's gone. The hunting/fishing and access/space to roam were quite good when I lived in WA more than 30 years ago. But - given the social bent west of the Cascades these days - eh?

Then again - AK surpasses all.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it wasn't the for fact that most of our deer aren't much bigger than large dogs, Florida is an outoorsman's paradise. grin

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Idaho, and Montana are terrible. Don't move here.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'll be hunting Axis next week in Junction,Texas and then making a trip offshore from Freeport. Lots of opportunities in the Lone Star state. I love Elk/Muley hunting out west but it's so hard to draw a decent tag anymore that I'll take Texas as well.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Check the state tax laws, license fees, game allotments, draw system, etc.
Choose wisely

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Geno - Not looking to move per se, just contemplating and curious as to others ideas of what constitutes the "best state". I'm here in WA for now and if I move it will be to the SE to be by family.

RC - That bait is rotten before it even hits the ground. Lol

Sitka - I like the sun.

257 - Always been fond of the Panhandle.

Honestly - New Zealand is probably as close as it gets to my ideal. I'm sending Trump a letter. We need a 51st State and Puerto Rico ain't gonna do it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Rhode Island in a landslide...😉

I havent found the best one yet, hopefully before I retire. Sure wish British Columbia was a state.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TomM1

I havent found the best one yet, hopefully before I retire. Sure wish British Columbia was a state.

You and me both.

(except Vancouver. Let the Canadians keep Vancouver)

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Texas for variety. There is great inshore/offshore fishing. There are more freshwater lakes than you can count. It is an excellent state for migratory birds and also resident quail/turkey. Whitetail, mule deer, hogs, javelina, pronghorn, aoudad, and Nilgai are all readily accessible. There's also the huge exotics option. Yes, it is mostly privately owned. Yes, it's definitely more expensive than buying an over the counter tag. However, I don't think it can be bested on the number of year round options for sportsman.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by TomM1

You and me both.

(except Vancouver. Let the Canadians keep Vancouver)

Lol...Forgot about Vancouver. SE AK is prolly as close as you get. Its the land of Goats, Deer, Xtra Tuffs and good beer. Not much to complain about, unless you prefer sunshine 😄

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I refuse to live in ANY State with a deer season of 3 days or ? maybe up to 2 weeks! !

Too much time restriction and time competition. I'd love to live in Wyo. Co. NM but it'd be hard to adjust to such short seasons, minimal bag limit and/or draw tags. I'd rather live in the SE USA and hunt in the West.

In the SE, we also have, squirrel, rabbit, duck, quail, & vermin. Fishing is readily available.

It boils down to a man's priorities.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I prefer big game, I really like chasing upland birds/small game as well. For me, the best state that I've found is Idaho. In any given year you can hunt whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, and black bear OTC. Upland birds include 5 species of grouse, plus huns, chukar, quail, and pheasants. My ideal location would be somewhere in the south central part of the state. A good second would be the Salmon/Challis country.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Rock Chuck correct, great success rate there. I like Texas too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwall
I refuse to live in ANY State with a deer season of 3 days or ? maybe up to 2 weeks! !

Too much time restriction and time competition. I'd love to live in Wyo. Co. NM but it'd be hard to adjust to such short seasons, minimal bag limit and/or draw tags. I'd rather live in the SE USA and hunt in the West.

In the SE, we also have, squirrel, rabbit, duck, quail, & vermin. Fishing is readily available.

It boils down to a man's priorities.

Jerry

Leaves out AK... we only get 142 days of deer season...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer
Though I prefer big game, I really like chasing upland birds/small game as well. For me, the best state that I've found is Idaho. In any given year you can hunt whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, and black bear OTC. Upland birds include 5 species of grouse, plus huns, chukar, quail, and pheasants. My ideal location would be somewhere in the south central part of the state. A good second would be the Salmon/Challis country.

Shush,
Hush,
quiet,

The Idahoans don't want them to know.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.