Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Pretty obvious which state is best when the question has to be phrased to exclude it...

It would have been a boring thread seeing 100s of posts of "Alaska". Oh sure, it would have been broken up a little by a few of the usual morons; but, it would still have been boring.

Certinly no shortage of morons here

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We chose Northern Wisconsin for the Northwoods atmosphere and four seasons. Great Hunting, Fishing is out-of this world. We would have tried Ketchikan, AK, but the wife can't get too far from family. Montana would have been our third choice. The only bad thing about Northern Wisconsin is the long winters. Late Oct to May is not warm So we take a month or two and head down to the Florida or the Alabama coast. Breaks up the winter. If you can handle a week or two a few times a year of 20-30 Below Zero, I would look at any county north of Highway 64 and close to Hospitals, shopping, etc. I would give Sabine County in Eastern Texas a look also. That place mimic's the North woods without the cold. Not too far from Tornado Alley though. Lots of choices in the lower 48. I'll bet Maine, Vermont, Oregon, Utah, New Hampshire, has some great places.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For salt water/fresh water fishing, ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits, WT hunting, Louisiana isn't bad. We have plenty (too many) hogs, too.

It's known as the Sportsman's Paradise and for good reason.

Local Cajuns know how to cook what they kill.

These guys can make road kill (fresh of course) taste good.

They don't cull much... blush

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Idaho does sound awful. Lol.

It does, best try California or Texas.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Idaho is the absolute pits---You have to endure conservative, hard working family oriented people every where you go (except , maybe Ketchum) and you'll probably have to drown your sorrows buy looking at beautiful sights in all four seasons while hunting sheep at 9000 feet and pronghorns in the sage brush.
I almost can't stand it, think I'll move to New Jersey when I come to my senses.

Last edited by Heavybullets; 05/23/17.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Depends on what you like....fishing would be tough to beat LA...TX....if you fly fish WY....
All around I think Wyoming....would be my choice....cheap living and in the middle of some great sporting opertunities...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
Idaho is the absolute pits---You have to endure conservative, hard working family oriented people every where you go (except , maybe Ketchum) and you'll probably have to drown your sorrows buy looking at beautiful sights in all four seasons while hunting sheep at 9000 feet and pronghorns in the sage brush.
I almost can't stand it, think I'll move to New Jersey when I come to my senses.

laugh

Now, that's funny...

Got a chuckle out of me, for sure... grin

Point well made...

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Texas is way the heck to hot to take top spot. Plenty here, but to dang hot to enjoy it 6 months or so of the year.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rondrews
We chose Northern Wisconsin for the Northwoods atmosphere and four seasons. Great Hunting, Fishing is out-of this world. We would have tried Ketchikan, AK, but the wife can't get too far from family. Montana would have been our third choice. The only bad thing about Northern Wisconsin is the long winters. Late Oct to May is not warm So we take a month or two and head down to the Florida or the Alabama coast. Breaks up the winter. If you can handle a week or two a few times a year of 20-30 Below Zero, I would look at any county north of Highway 64 and close to Hospitals, shopping, etc. I would give Sabine County in Eastern Texas a look also. That place mimic's the North woods without the cold. Not too far from Tornado Alley though. Lots of choices in the lower 48. I'll bet Maine, Vermont, Oregon, Utah, New Hampshire, has some great places.

I would've done Vermont a long time ago if the hunting was any good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
For salt water/fresh water fishing, ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits, WT hunting, Louisiana isn't bad. We have plenty (too many) hogs, too.
These guys can make road kill (fresh of course) taste good.

DF

Yes, they do. Glen Guist (Swamp People) made 'crow' jambalaya from road kill crow.

I lived in Hammond for 9 yrs. they do cook some good.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I enjoy SC, deer season from Aug 15 thru Jan1, salt on 200 miles of coastline, huge inland lakes. Only other state I would consider is LA for the saltwater fishing.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Texas does have great hunting and fishing. I still occasionally go to South Padre Island to fish. However, when I lived in Texas, I found that it was cheaper to fly to Oregon to hunt quail than to hunt them near home.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Haven't spent much time in PA, but some of my old Marine Corps buddies went back there after their stint and never left. They claim it's the best. Although most say their home is the best, I bet there are some really nice areas of PA other than Pittsburgh or Philly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree, my vote is firmly for PA being the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rondrews
Haven't spent much time in PA, but some of my old Marine Corps buddies went back there after their stint and never left. They claim it's the best. Although most say their home is the best, I bet there are some really nice areas of PA other than Pittsburgh or Philly.

There sure are. I recommend taking a drive on Rt. 6 sometime.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We should work out a trade with Canada. They can have Wi, IL, and everything N of NC and E of WV except Maine, we get to keep Maine. Then we get Manitoba, Alberta, and BC except for Vancouver. NWT and the Yukon become communal property of both nations.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have tried to convince my bride of 30 years that we should sell our Louisiana land and buy property in the Black Hills in Eastern Wyoming. We have traveled all over the West and the area around Newcastle and Upton in Weston County impressed me the most of a place I would like to be. Wyoming is our least populated state and the demographics and politics seem about in line with what I like. My wife is balking at the idea, doesn't want to put any distance between us and our grandkids, and she has a fear of driving on snow. I like sparsely populated Northern California also, but that is not a consideration as long as it is ruled by Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't trade my adopted home state of Georgia for Pennsylvania. Much friendlier to us non-liberals here. Just avoid Atlanta.....

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hastings, Don't talk her into anywhere she doesn't want to go. She will never let up on you when it snow's a foot or two, or when the temps drop into the minus zeroe.s. But if you like it, maybe a summer home there would work. Keep your place in LA and spend the winter's there. A friend of mine left here and moved to Wyoming and he now lives in Arizona. Said it isn't as nice as he thought.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Easily Lewiston Idaho area.

It's midway between the coast and rocky Mtn front. Plenty of rivers, national forests, and large wilderness in Idaho. It also has mild enough winters so shoveling snow isn't an concern very often if at all.

It's in an location where it's not far from the coast, the cascades, Canada, or the rocky Mtn front. Right on the doorstep are large natl forests and wilderness areas in idaho

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.