Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Easily Lewiston Idaho area.

It's midway between the coast and rocky Mtn front. Plenty of rivers, national forests, and large wilderness in Idaho. It also has mild enough winters so shoveling snow isn't an concern very often if at all.

It's in an location where it's not far from the coast, the cascades, Canada, or the rocky Mtn front. Right on the doorstep are large natl forests and wilderness areas in idaho

But...but...but...there's no sagebrush!

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
I have tried to convince my bride of 30 years that we should sell our Louisiana land and buy property in the Black Hills in Eastern Wyoming. We have traveled all over the West and the area around Newcastle and Upton in Weston County impressed me the most of a place I would like to be. Wyoming is our least populated state and the demographics and politics seem about in line with what I like. My wife is balking at the idea, doesn't want to put any distance between us and our grandkids, and she has a fear of driving on snow. I like sparsely populated Northern California also, but that is not a consideration as long as it is ruled by Los Angeles and San Francisco.

There was a time when my wife and I were seriously contemplating Newcastle.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
I have tried to convince my bride of 30 years that we should sell our Louisiana land and buy property in the Black Hills in Eastern Wyoming. We have traveled all over the West and the area around Newcastle and Upton in Weston County impressed me the most of a place I would like to be. Wyoming is our least populated state and the demographics and politics seem about in line with what I like. My wife is balking at the idea, doesn't want to put any distance between us and our grandkids, and she has a fear of driving on snow. I like sparsely populated Northern California also, but that is not a consideration as long as it is ruled by Los Angeles and San Francisco.

There was a time when my wife and I were seriously contemplating Newcastle.

I can assure you, Hastings isn't going anywhere his bride doesn't want to go.

Besides, those good folks around Newcastle and Upton may have a prohibition on Cajuns... shocked

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are probably right Dirtfarmer. She is gainfully employed here and has a thousand admiring patients/friends not to mention the kids. I told her that if we moved the kids would follow shortly, but she isn't buying it. I thought land in Wyoming would sell much cheaper than Louisana, but I have checked with Arnold Realty up there and it is more pricey than you might think. Have you ever visited the Black Hills? We have been 3 different times to both South Dakota and Wyoming. I liked the Black Hills better than Yellowstone. A Cajun in Wyoming might not fit in much better than a Somali in Alaska. And they do have Somali in Anchorage, I saw them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Easy choice for this boy.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

Where was that photo taken, Pat.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rondrews
We chose Northern Wisconsin for the Northwoods atmosphere and four seasons. Great Hunting, Fishing is out-of this world. We would have tried Ketchikan, AK, but the wife can't get too far from family. Montana would have been our third choice. The only bad thing about Northern Wisconsin is the long winters. Late Oct to May is not warm So we take a month or two and head down to the Florida or the Alabama coast. Breaks up the winter. If you can handle a week or two a few times a year of 20-30 Below Zero, I would look at any county north of Highway 64 and close to Hospitals, shopping, etc. I would give Sabine County in Eastern Texas a look also. That place mimic's the North woods without the cold. Not too far from Tornado Alley though. Lots of choices in the lower 48. I'll bet Maine, Vermont, Oregon, Utah, New Hampshire, has some great places.
Oregon does indeed have some great places but it's all run from Portland/Eugene. It's become a really nut case liberal state and 90% of it has little say in what the liberals do.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

DF

I was lost when I took it......I have no idea....;)

A nice bear materialized in that green saddle a few hours later, but that's another story....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

DF

I was lost when I took it......I have no idea....;)

A nice bear materialized in that green saddle a few hours later, but that's another story....

laugh

That's a great answer... grin

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Texas, of course.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are probably right Dirtfarmer. She is gainfully employed here and has a thousand admiring patients/friends not to mention the kids. I told her that if we moved the kids would follow shortly, but she isn't buying it. I thought land in Wyoming would sell much cheaper than Louisana, but I have checked with Arnold Realty up there and it is more pricey than you might think. Have you ever visited the Black Hills? We have been 3 different times to both South Dakota and Wyoming. I liked the Black Hills better than Yellowstone. A Cajun in Wyoming might not fit in much better than a Somali in Alaska. And they do have Somali in Anchorage, I saw them.

I'm with you. My wife and I fell in love with the Black Hills too. Hot Springs SD was my preference but she liked the Wyoming side.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
As long as it's America, it's good!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Virginia is nice if we could give northern Va to DC.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Except for the heat, I think Arizona would be nice.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
As long as it's America, it's good!!!!!

Did you forget we have New Jersey and Massachusetts?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My short list;

Arizona and Montana tied for first place.

Wyoming & New Mexico on the radar.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LBP
Except for the heat, I think Arizona would be nice.

I read the other day the Phoenix is now the nation's 3d largest city. Idaho is a nice distance from Phoenix, Seattle, and Portland.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Go for first!

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If I was moving back to the lower 48, Id take Montana, Wyoming or Northern Arizona (williams/flagstaff area).

I have relatives in Michigan who get lots of deer every year but its all sitting in blinds or tree stands, thats just not really my thing, I guess If I were offered a solid job there, it wouldnt be too bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the politics didn't suck I'd probably move to NY.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.