Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Which state has the best opportunity for outdoorsmen? Hunting, fishing, recreational opportunities?

I grew up in GA and it was great as a kid. Pretty good fishing for bass and the salt was fairly close. Deer were plentiful and tags/seasons generous. Some small game. Birds were hurting even back then.

Lived in Colorado for a bit. Great weather, mountains, access to wilderness. Great opportunity for elk and deer every year. Great trout fishing. Looong way from the salt.

WA has a lot going for it. Really diverse geography, 2 species of elk, 3 of deer. If you're lucky, sheep, moose, and goat. Large coast and fjords with decent fishing and shellfish. Decent upland and duck. Coast to high mountain desert in a hour or two. Fugged up game regulations and tribes are a bane to fish and game.

What say the Fire? Where does the best opportunity for an outdoorsman exist?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I will vote for Texas. Yes,Texas is mostly private land,but where else can you hunt kudu,eland,markhor,axis deer etc..without leaving America.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I vote for Texas, Plus 1. You can hunt year around, fish fresh water or salt, best Quail hunting in the World, with the exception of the big 5 dangerous game and ZULU'S, it's almost as much fun and a lot closer. Rio7

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Picking a state to retire in.. It is a hard choice. Want it all but....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't put Michigan at the top but for a state East of the Rockies northern Michigan has a lot to offer, two peninsulas surrounded by great lakes and full of inland lakes and rivers your never more than 10 minutes from water, sand dunes, great grouse hunting, trout and steelhead fishing, excellent walleye fishing, one of the leading states in the country for ATV and groomed snowmobile trails, islands, good waterfowl hunting, numerous large tracts of remote public land, decent deer hunting, a huntable bear population, and a few elk (though you can spend years or a lifetime trying to draw a kill tag).

Last edited by Mittenman; 05/09/17.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Texas has some things going for it. Worlds largest petting zoo and hundreds of miles of coast! Some rugged mountains and some good ol southern pine forests with everything in between. Hunt anything you like, as long as you can afford it. It wouldn't suck.

I've a lot of family in Michigan. Nice place. Not sure I'd ever want to live there. Lol.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Always thought Utah was a beautiful state. I recall hearing hunting opportunities are limited though? Not much over the counter big game? No salt coast either, but damn......some beautiful country.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Still have acreage in Minnesota, Just debating the winters.. Fishing and hunting is there. Taxes not so good..

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All I know is that Idaho sucks. I do not know Texas as, short of a pig hunt or two, I do not hunt here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texas - by a landslide.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
yea...Idaho sucks...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Idaho does sound awful. Lol.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not for scenery but for hunters and fishermen....

Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, & Alabama have L O N G deer seasons with liberal bag limits

and good fishing.

Obviously more really big bucks come from Kansas and a few other areas but if you like to hunt for more than a week or two

these States offer plenty of hunting & fishing ops.

We don't have Mule Deer, antelope , Mtn goat, moose etc. but WT galore.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Daughter and SIL are in the Benton area, went hunting there one year on a leased land logging area. Looked great, all signs said deer should be there. Cover, food, water etc. No recent deer sign at all. Bobcat yes..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Benton TN?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
AR, Arkansas.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Daughter and SIL are in the Benton area, went hunting there one year on a leased land logging area. Looked great, all signs said deer should be there. Cover, food, water etc. No recent deer sign at all. Bobcat yes..

I don't know about ALL the area but am familiar with much of the deer hunting around Benton Ar.

I can say that I don't have any idea of where they looked AND I don't know of any specific area where deer are that scarce. Also the whole State isn't overpopulated w/deer but the Southern half of the State is well supplied. There are several deer zones where the annual bag limit is 4, 5, or 6 deer.

Regardless of where you live/hunt, the Statewide annual bag limit is 6. In most places that is 2 bucks + up to 4 does.
You can hunt in'different' zones and kill/register 6 deer TOTAL.

You are correct about the lease logging (timber) land. The majority of those TARs (timber access roads) are gated and locked.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I love it here out west, but do miss hunting squirrels! Shooting ground rats out here ain't the same as hunting grays in a the oak woods.

From a purely geographic and flora/fauna perspective, I don't think California can be beat. Shame it so fugged up.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Texas! Love that place!

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I love it here out west, but do miss hunting squirrels! Shooting ground rats out here ain't the same as hunting grays in a the oak woods.

From a purely geographic and flora/fauna perspective, I don't think California can be beat. Shame it so fugged up.

Mooner,

you sure got that right. Try growing up there from age nine and watching the mostly detrimental changes over the years. It's truly maddening and saddening. I haven't lived there as a resident since 1999 but will retire there "soon". Fortunately as far away from the madness of SoCal as one can be and still be in the same state. Too bad for you, as the geographical and biological state would fit but not the political "State".

Are you retiring or do you have a "transferable skill" and can get work about anywhere? Have you looked into NW PA? There's great fishing for a variety of species in rivers, creeks and lakes including Erie, ice fishing too if you're into it. Hunting is/can be pretty good with a wide variety of game including plenty of squirrels. For a guy who's lived out west and knows and enjoys public lands, there's the Allegheny NF and plenty of State and lumber company lands in NW PA. Turkey hunting ain't bad, deer and bear hunting is available. Land/housing prices were reasonable a few years back, might still be as the area is part of the "Rust Belt" and populations aren't growing rapidly as in the southern tier. Weather isn't horrible, the odd tornado and blizzard, heat and humidity aren't fun for a month or two in the summer, but not nearly as bad as further south and east. Stay an hour or so south of the big lakes and you miss most of the lake effect snow. If you have a nice vehicle you may want to pick up a winter beater to deal with the salt on the roads. Mostly "conservative" values in that area. All in all not a bad area, were I in the position to do so I'd consider living there again as the nearly two years I was there impressed me.

I'd be right with you in looking for a place like you are if my wife hadn't settled in a very wonderful part of Cali and said she's DONE moving. Between the two of us and our careers we've moved something like 19 times since '96. I'd consider parts of Missouri, Arkansas, PA, Ohio and of course WY, AZ, NM, MT and those sorts too.

Wishing you the best of luck in your search. So many great choices in the Lower 48.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not a whole state but Chicago has to rank right up there. Every Monday we read about the hunters' success over the weekend. Crab bait is also plentiful.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
All I know is that Idaho sucks. I do not know Texas as, short of a pig hunt or two, I do not hunt here.

Unlucky for you I was there last year for a week, Idaho is at the top of my list for overall big game and I have hunted Texas too. I would not be shocked if when I die I wake up in a certain valley in Idaho , never been anywhere as beautiful.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll stay in Colorado.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty obvious which state is best when the question has to be phrased to exclude it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by EdM

Unlucky for you I was there last year for a week, Idaho is at the top of my list for overall big game and I have hunted Texas too. I would not be shocked if when I die I wake up in a certain valley in Idaho , never been anywhere as beautiful.
Shut up, dang it. You want everyone to find us?

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what a person wants in the outdoors. If you want freedom to roam and plentiful access to hunting and fresh water fishing, it's hard to beat most of the states in the mountain west. Game available there varies some from state to state, but most are pretty good. But, to be close to salt fishing out west you have to be in WA/OR/CA and deal with different social/guv issues than most of the mountain states.

50 years ago I would have said California hands down - that's gone. The hunting/fishing and access/space to roam were quite good when I lived in WA more than 30 years ago. But - given the social bent west of the Cascades these days - eh?

Then again - AK surpasses all.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it wasn't the for fact that most of our deer aren't much bigger than large dogs, Florida is an outoorsman's paradise. grin

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Idaho, and Montana are terrible. Don't move here.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'll be hunting Axis next week in Junction,Texas and then making a trip offshore from Freeport. Lots of opportunities in the Lone Star state. I love Elk/Muley hunting out west but it's so hard to draw a decent tag anymore that I'll take Texas as well.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Check the state tax laws, license fees, game allotments, draw system, etc.
Choose wisely

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Geno - Not looking to move per se, just contemplating and curious as to others ideas of what constitutes the "best state". I'm here in WA for now and if I move it will be to the SE to be by family.

RC - That bait is rotten before it even hits the ground. Lol

Sitka - I like the sun.

257 - Always been fond of the Panhandle.

Honestly - New Zealand is probably as close as it gets to my ideal. I'm sending Trump a letter. We need a 51st State and Puerto Rico ain't gonna do it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Rhode Island in a landslide...😉

I havent found the best one yet, hopefully before I retire. Sure wish British Columbia was a state.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TomM1

I havent found the best one yet, hopefully before I retire. Sure wish British Columbia was a state.

You and me both.

(except Vancouver. Let the Canadians keep Vancouver)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Texas for variety. There is great inshore/offshore fishing. There are more freshwater lakes than you can count. It is an excellent state for migratory birds and also resident quail/turkey. Whitetail, mule deer, hogs, javelina, pronghorn, aoudad, and Nilgai are all readily accessible. There's also the huge exotics option. Yes, it is mostly privately owned. Yes, it's definitely more expensive than buying an over the counter tag. However, I don't think it can be bested on the number of year round options for sportsman.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TomM1

You and me both.

(except Vancouver. Let the Canadians keep Vancouver)

Lol...Forgot about Vancouver. SE AK is prolly as close as you get. Its the land of Goats, Deer, Xtra Tuffs and good beer. Not much to complain about, unless you prefer sunshine 😄

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I refuse to live in ANY State with a deer season of 3 days or ? maybe up to 2 weeks! !

Too much time restriction and time competition. I'd love to live in Wyo. Co. NM but it'd be hard to adjust to such short seasons, minimal bag limit and/or draw tags. I'd rather live in the SE USA and hunt in the West.

In the SE, we also have, squirrel, rabbit, duck, quail, & vermin. Fishing is readily available.

It boils down to a man's priorities.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I prefer big game, I really like chasing upland birds/small game as well. For me, the best state that I've found is Idaho. In any given year you can hunt whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, and black bear OTC. Upland birds include 5 species of grouse, plus huns, chukar, quail, and pheasants. My ideal location would be somewhere in the south central part of the state. A good second would be the Salmon/Challis country.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Rock Chuck correct, great success rate there. I like Texas too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwall
I refuse to live in ANY State with a deer season of 3 days or ? maybe up to 2 weeks! !

Too much time restriction and time competition. I'd love to live in Wyo. Co. NM but it'd be hard to adjust to such short seasons, minimal bag limit and/or draw tags. I'd rather live in the SE USA and hunt in the West.

In the SE, we also have, squirrel, rabbit, duck, quail, & vermin. Fishing is readily available.

It boils down to a man's priorities.

Jerry

Leaves out AK... we only get 142 days of deer season...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer
Though I prefer big game, I really like chasing upland birds/small game as well. For me, the best state that I've found is Idaho. In any given year you can hunt whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, and black bear OTC. Upland birds include 5 species of grouse, plus huns, chukar, quail, and pheasants. My ideal location would be somewhere in the south central part of the state. A good second would be the Salmon/Challis country.

Shush,
Hush,
quiet,

The Idahoans don't want them to know.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where did you find an OTC antelope tag?
Most of the elk tags in the south central area are by draw. The OTC elk are farther north.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno - Not looking to move per se, just contemplating and curious as to others ideas of what constitutes the "best state". I'm here in WA for now and if I move it will be to the SE to be by family.

RC - That bait is rotten before it even hits the ground. Lol

Sitka - I like the sun.

257 - Always been fond of the Panhandle.

Honestly - New Zealand is probably as close as it gets to my ideal. I'm sending Trump a letter. We need a 51st State and Puerto Rico ain't gonna do it.

Gotcha,

For me their is no "best state" or I'd move there, assuming I could drag the wife. wink

Agree with your other post about BC. We could carve out Vancouver/Victoria maybe, Puget Sound shoreline south of Bellingham and continue on down all the way to Potlandia, Salem, Corvallis/Eugene. Maybe keep the area around Astoria down the coast, but cut them OR cities out. Then Start cutting CA off at the coast from the Bodega Bay area over east to Santa Rosa, across to Sucktomento and south on the West side of the Sierra Crest to SoCal . Maybe even keep going down the Pacific Crest trail to the Gulf of California, cut back to the coast on the border and annex Baja (kick the cartels out, the regular folks down there are usually pretty nice, tie TJ into SoCal) for the great fishing and Mexican food and give the snowbirds a place to go. Include AK on the North and I could just about call that whole area I described as the "best State", as I could hunt and fish for just about anything I need/want. Go to Desert, Real Mountains, Coastal rainforests, oak parks, Doug fir forests, and all the saltwater and freshwater places.

But, I've been called a dreamer.

When you do retire I hope you find a happy place in the SE.

Geno

In it is contentment

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ah, don't worry about it, that's what girl friends are for! :-)

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Looking at a US map draw a circle w/ a 520 mile radius centered on Bozeman, Mt. That area would encompass everything I would desire. Lots of choices for great places to live, hunt, fish and enjoy English as the primary language. If you excude Colorado.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Stay away from the front range and Colorado is a great place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Where did you find an OTC antelope tag?
Most of the elk tags in the south central area are by draw. The OTC elk are farther north.
I knew as soon as I hit post you'd want to bust my balls about the pronghorn part. I guess technically its not OTC, as it comes through the Controlled Hunt drawing, but there are units in ID that have unlimited tags for archery pronghorn hunting. Meaning that they could be hunted every year. I know you know this...

Likewise, my choice of south central was not predicated on the local elk units being OTC. But, it's a chit load closer than where I am and it'd be close to a whole bunch of other things that I'd want to do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, ok. Those. They started that some years ago and now they're doing it for deer archery in a few units. What it does mainly (besides raising money) is to limit where you can hunt. If you draw a permit, you're limited to that hunt. Unit 54 used to be the most popular deer archery unit in the state. It was crawling with bowhunters during Sept, then they'd all grab their guns and hunt in other units during the gun season. Now you have to draw a permit to bowhunt. The permits are unlimited but when you get one, you can't gun hunt later. It really cut down on bowhunting there.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Benton TN?

LOL MadMooner I have to vote for Loudon. I will have to say that McMinn Co is pretty to beat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pennsylvania suits me just fine.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Texas has a lot of variety. Hunt in the woods, hunt in the mountains, or hunt in south Texas where there are really big deer. Lots of ducks,dove and quail too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Still have acreage in Minnesota, Just debating the winters.. Fishing and hunting is there. Taxes not so good..

I'd gtfo of there as fast as I could. MT or TN call my name daily.

Camp is where you make it.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which state has the best opportunity for outdoorsmen? Hunting, fishing, recreational opportunities?
Where does the best opportunity for an outdoorsman exist?

Well it's not Colorado. I would move but the wife won't leave the grand-kids. I'm not sure where I would go; somewhere in the West for sure. Maybe Alaska, Montana, Wyoming?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MadMooner: Montana is the answer to your inquiry.
Just ONE, for instance:
Elk Hunting - Archery season starts this year (2,017) on September 2nd and runs through October 15th then the same archery Hunter can take up his Rifle and Hunt Elk from October 21st through November 26th - that is 66 (sixty six!) days of Hunting that one species!
AND... if said Hunter applies for certain special tags he can harvest TWO Elk and in some instances EXTEND that 46 day season.
By the way the Deer Hunting seasons run in concurrence with the Elk seasons here - so one can Hunt Deer (two species) at the same time they are Hunting Elk.
The fishing in Montana is YEAR ROUND and many say it has THE best fly fishing in the world!
I don't know that for sure as I am not much of a "world traveller" - but my bucks up friends who come here to Montana from Europe also concur with that contention.
I am a beginner fly fishing enthusiast (30+ years now) yet I have caught Trout on a fly in every one of the twelve months of the year - and the ice fishing (bait) is simply wonderful hereabouts.
We here in Montana enjoy boundless opportunities for Game Birds, Waterfowl (including Swans and Sandhill Cranes), Varmints, predators, Big Game and Small Game!
Big Sky it is!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I would like to live in Montana during the summer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My current retirement plan is British Columbia in the summer, Texas Gulf Coast in the winter, hunting my way between the two throughout the fall. Unless I can afford to buy myself one of those swanky quail plantations in the Red Hills on the Georgia, Florida border for the winters. grin

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like several areas, but south west Wisconsin has a lot of draw, for me. The lower Wisconsin river, and the watershed thereto is truly a sportsmans paradise.

North central Arkansas also has a lot going for it.

I'm also fond of Wyomings Bighorn basin, along with the Wind River and parts of the Red Desert.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would be quiet Varmint Guy!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me it would be somewhere in the west that allows you to easily travel and hunt 3-4 states. All those saying Texas better have a surplus of money if you want to take advantage of hunting here, each of the described opportunitys come with a hefty price tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Pretty obvious which state is best when the question has to be phrased to exclude it...

It would have been a boring thread seeing 100s of posts of "Alaska". Oh sure, it would have been broken up a little by a few of the usual morons; but, it would still have been boring.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If I lived south of the border I'd think hard on Montana and plan on heading south a bit for at least part of the winter!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

It would have been a boring thread seeing 100s of posts of "Alaska". Oh sure, it would have been broken up a little by a few of the usual morons; but, it would still have been boring.

Certinly no shortage of morons here

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We chose Northern Wisconsin for the Northwoods atmosphere and four seasons. Great Hunting, Fishing is out-of this world. We would have tried Ketchikan, AK, but the wife can't get too far from family. Montana would have been our third choice. The only bad thing about Northern Wisconsin is the long winters. Late Oct to May is not warm So we take a month or two and head down to the Florida or the Alabama coast. Breaks up the winter. If you can handle a week or two a few times a year of 20-30 Below Zero, I would look at any county north of Highway 64 and close to Hospitals, shopping, etc. I would give Sabine County in Eastern Texas a look also. That place mimic's the North woods without the cold. Not too far from Tornado Alley though. Lots of choices in the lower 48. I'll bet Maine, Vermont, Oregon, Utah, New Hampshire, has some great places.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For salt water/fresh water fishing, ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits, WT hunting, Louisiana isn't bad. We have plenty (too many) hogs, too.

It's known as the Sportsman's Paradise and for good reason.

Local Cajuns know how to cook what they kill.

These guys can make road kill (fresh of course) taste good.

They don't cull much... blush

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho does sound awful. Lol.

It does, best try California or Texas.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Idaho is the absolute pits---You have to endure conservative, hard working family oriented people every where you go (except , maybe Ketchum) and you'll probably have to drown your sorrows buy looking at beautiful sights in all four seasons while hunting sheep at 9000 feet and pronghorns in the sage brush.
I almost can't stand it, think I'll move to New Jersey when I come to my senses.

Last edited by Heavybullets; 05/23/17.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Depends on what you like....fishing would be tough to beat LA...TX....if you fly fish WY....
All around I think Wyoming....would be my choice....cheap living and in the middle of some great sporting opertunities...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
Idaho is the absolute pits---You have to endure conservative, hard working family oriented people every where you go (except , maybe Ketchum) and you'll probably have to drown your sorrows buy looking at beautiful sights in all four seasons while hunting sheep at 9000 feet and pronghorns in the sage brush.
I almost can't stand it, think I'll move to New Jersey when I come to my senses.

laugh

Now, that's funny...

Got a chuckle out of me, for sure... grin

Point well made...

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Texas is way the heck to hot to take top spot. Plenty here, but to dang hot to enjoy it 6 months or so of the year.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rondrews
We chose Northern Wisconsin for the Northwoods atmosphere and four seasons. Great Hunting, Fishing is out-of this world. We would have tried Ketchikan, AK, but the wife can't get too far from family. Montana would have been our third choice. The only bad thing about Northern Wisconsin is the long winters. Late Oct to May is not warm So we take a month or two and head down to the Florida or the Alabama coast. Breaks up the winter. If you can handle a week or two a few times a year of 20-30 Below Zero, I would look at any county north of Highway 64 and close to Hospitals, shopping, etc. I would give Sabine County in Eastern Texas a look also. That place mimic's the North woods without the cold. Not too far from Tornado Alley though. Lots of choices in the lower 48. I'll bet Maine, Vermont, Oregon, Utah, New Hampshire, has some great places.

I would've done Vermont a long time ago if the hunting was any good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
For salt water/fresh water fishing, ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits, WT hunting, Louisiana isn't bad. We have plenty (too many) hogs, too.
These guys can make road kill (fresh of course) taste good.

DF

Yes, they do. Glen Guist (Swamp People) made 'crow' jambalaya from road kill crow.

I lived in Hammond for 9 yrs. they do cook some good.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I enjoy SC, deer season from Aug 15 thru Jan1, salt on 200 miles of coastline, huge inland lakes. Only other state I would consider is LA for the saltwater fishing.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Texas does have great hunting and fishing. I still occasionally go to South Padre Island to fish. However, when I lived in Texas, I found that it was cheaper to fly to Oregon to hunt quail than to hunt them near home.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Haven't spent much time in PA, but some of my old Marine Corps buddies went back there after their stint and never left. They claim it's the best. Although most say their home is the best, I bet there are some really nice areas of PA other than Pittsburgh or Philly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree, my vote is firmly for PA being the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't spent much time in PA, but some of my old Marine Corps buddies went back there after their stint and never left. They claim it's the best. Although most say their home is the best, I bet there are some really nice areas of PA other than Pittsburgh or Philly.

There sure are. I recommend taking a drive on Rt. 6 sometime.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
We should work out a trade with Canada. They can have Wi, IL, and everything N of NC and E of WV except Maine, we get to keep Maine. Then we get Manitoba, Alberta, and BC except for Vancouver. NWT and the Yukon become communal property of both nations.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have tried to convince my bride of 30 years that we should sell our Louisiana land and buy property in the Black Hills in Eastern Wyoming. We have traveled all over the West and the area around Newcastle and Upton in Weston County impressed me the most of a place I would like to be. Wyoming is our least populated state and the demographics and politics seem about in line with what I like. My wife is balking at the idea, doesn't want to put any distance between us and our grandkids, and she has a fear of driving on snow. I like sparsely populated Northern California also, but that is not a consideration as long as it is ruled by Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't trade my adopted home state of Georgia for Pennsylvania. Much friendlier to us non-liberals here. Just avoid Atlanta.....

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hastings, Don't talk her into anywhere she doesn't want to go. She will never let up on you when it snow's a foot or two, or when the temps drop into the minus zeroe.s. But if you like it, maybe a summer home there would work. Keep your place in LA and spend the winter's there. A friend of mine left here and moved to Wyoming and he now lives in Arizona. Said it isn't as nice as he thought.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Easily Lewiston Idaho area.

It's midway between the coast and rocky Mtn front. Plenty of rivers, national forests, and large wilderness in Idaho. It also has mild enough winters so shoveling snow isn't an concern very often if at all.

It's in an location where it's not far from the coast, the cascades, Canada, or the rocky Mtn front. Right on the doorstep are large natl forests and wilderness areas in idaho

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Easily Lewiston Idaho area.

It's midway between the coast and rocky Mtn front. Plenty of rivers, national forests, and large wilderness in Idaho. It also has mild enough winters so shoveling snow isn't an concern very often if at all.

It's in an location where it's not far from the coast, the cascades, Canada, or the rocky Mtn front. Right on the doorstep are large natl forests and wilderness areas in idaho

But...but...but...there's no sagebrush!

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
I have tried to convince my bride of 30 years that we should sell our Louisiana land and buy property in the Black Hills in Eastern Wyoming. We have traveled all over the West and the area around Newcastle and Upton in Weston County impressed me the most of a place I would like to be. Wyoming is our least populated state and the demographics and politics seem about in line with what I like. My wife is balking at the idea, doesn't want to put any distance between us and our grandkids, and she has a fear of driving on snow. I like sparsely populated Northern California also, but that is not a consideration as long as it is ruled by Los Angeles and San Francisco.

There was a time when my wife and I were seriously contemplating Newcastle.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike

There was a time when my wife and I were seriously contemplating Newcastle.

I can assure you, Hastings isn't going anywhere his bride doesn't want to go.

Besides, those good folks around Newcastle and Upton may have a prohibition on Cajuns... shocked

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You are probably right Dirtfarmer. She is gainfully employed here and has a thousand admiring patients/friends not to mention the kids. I told her that if we moved the kids would follow shortly, but she isn't buying it. I thought land in Wyoming would sell much cheaper than Louisana, but I have checked with Arnold Realty up there and it is more pricey than you might think. Have you ever visited the Black Hills? We have been 3 different times to both South Dakota and Wyoming. I liked the Black Hills better than Yellowstone. A Cajun in Wyoming might not fit in much better than a Somali in Alaska. And they do have Somali in Anchorage, I saw them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Easy choice for this boy.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

Where was that photo taken, Pat.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oregon does indeed have some great places but it's all run from Portland/Eugene. It's become a really nut case liberal state and 90% of it has little say in what the liberals do.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

DF

I was lost when I took it......I have no idea....;)

A nice bear materialized in that green saddle a few hours later, but that's another story....

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

DF

I was lost when I took it......I have no idea....;)

A nice bear materialized in that green saddle a few hours later, but that's another story....

laugh

That's a great answer... grin

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Texas, of course.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are probably right Dirtfarmer. She is gainfully employed here and has a thousand admiring patients/friends not to mention the kids. I told her that if we moved the kids would follow shortly, but she isn't buying it. I thought land in Wyoming would sell much cheaper than Louisana, but I have checked with Arnold Realty up there and it is more pricey than you might think. Have you ever visited the Black Hills? We have been 3 different times to both South Dakota and Wyoming. I liked the Black Hills better than Yellowstone. A Cajun in Wyoming might not fit in much better than a Somali in Alaska. And they do have Somali in Anchorage, I saw them.

I'm with you. My wife and I fell in love with the Black Hills too. Hot Springs SD was my preference but she liked the Wyoming side.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
As long as it's America, it's good!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Virginia is nice if we could give northern Va to DC.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Except for the heat, I think Arizona would be nice.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
As long as it's America, it's good!!!!!

Did you forget we have New Jersey and Massachusetts?

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
My short list;

Arizona and Montana tied for first place.

Wyoming & New Mexico on the radar.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LBP

I read the other day the Phoenix is now the nation's 3d largest city. Idaho is a nice distance from Phoenix, Seattle, and Portland.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Go for first!

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If I was moving back to the lower 48, Id take Montana, Wyoming or Northern Arizona (williams/flagstaff area).

I have relatives in Michigan who get lots of deer every year but its all sitting in blinds or tree stands, thats just not really my thing, I guess If I were offered a solid job there, it wouldnt be too bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the politics didn't suck I'd probably move to NY.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by LBP

I read the other day the Phoenix is now the nation's 3d largest city. Idaho is a nice distance from Phoenix, Seattle, and Portland.

Largest U.S. cities by population

1. New York
2. L.A.
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Atlanta

This is what I remember from a few years ago!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 05/28/17.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
New Mexico is nice, I've hunted there a number of times, good folks.

The govt is Dem and may not suit you as well as some of the other options you mentioned.

Do your research.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by LBP

Largest U.S. cities by population

1. New York
2. L.A.
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Atlanta

This is what I remember from a few years ago!

Oops. I just went back and found that article. Phoenix is 5th, not 3d. Sorry about that.
It's now NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, and Phoenix.

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have seen posts like this many times . One thing that does not come up is how much money you have to enjoy it. I live in S.E.Wisconsin and snicker at the fine gentleman that lives in N.W. Wisconsin. Good hunting? I have 7 ac. there , hunt public land and it SUCKS! Now, if I had enough money to buy 300 ac. that may change the attitude. Many here say Texas, maybe it is, " the best" . Now, for the Texas guys, add up the expense of land or leases , taxes, miles traveled , to hunt and it is a fortune. . . . and if you talk salt water fishing , , , post how much you have in a boat for the ocean. Now, I can go hunting in S.E. WIs. for deer for $24 a bow tag and have some fairly decent hunting 2 mi. from my house on public land . Few people hunt the big cattail marshes for good reasons. Many go to central Wisconsin and post how good the deer hunting is in Wisconsin . . . Problem is they fail to post that they dumped $ 200,000 on 80 ac. and a small cabin and fork out 3k on taxes every year.. Ok, he now has good deer hunting but he drained his life's retirement account to see more deer. ! ? . . As for me, I like to fish big rivers and and am willing to hunt poor to marginal deer hunting land cause i refuse to pay $200,000 for 80 ac. I would go to S.W. Wisconsin if I ever retire. Why? The bluffs are really , really cool, the Mississippi river has very good fishing for many species for fish. Walleye , bass ( smallmouth, large and whitebass) huge northerns, the best stinkin bluegill fishing I ever seen, big catfish ( flathead and channels) even sand sturgeon. . . and with all the bluffs there is a pretty decent trout fishery from all the cold streams. The bucks get enormous out there from the lime stone and certain soil. Ask Roundoak here about the big bucks . He will deny it most likely. Squirrel hunting too. The winters are harsh but not for long periods. Head west 100 mi. and there are pheasants in Iowa. I think for a POOR MAN like me ,on a poor mans budget, it is about as good as one can expect. If I had money I think Spearfish S.D. and west into north east wyoming was the most beautiful land I have seen . Not too hilly but just west enough to know you are out west. Hunting there is far superior to public land in Wisconsin, ( but the locals think it is poor hunting cause they never seen poor public hunting)

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's why I like it here in Idaho. It's relatively low cost for outdoor sports. We have nearly 50k square miles of public land and can hunt and fish almost all of it. There are few places in the state where you can't find elk hunting within 100 miles and deer much closer than that. A resident combination hunting/fishing license is $33. A resident deer tag is $20 and elk is $31. We don't have the deer numbers like they do in the eastern states but we do have some very respectable deer, both mulies and whitetails. You can hunt flat desert land or mountains as rugged as any in the US.
Plus, traditionally Idaho votes deep dark red.

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Ya, Idaho vote the color of blood red. I know a girl in Cottonwood Id. and she sais much the same as you Rock Chuck. She gets elk too , even at 54 , and she has shown me pics of some dang nice whitetails too. So , it makes a world of difference what it is going to cost you for good hunting. For you it is cheap, for Texans it is not cheap. I have some of the best trout and Salmon fishing on Gods green earth and dont go there. It is Lake Michigan. A dependable boat that is big enough will set you back at least 10K. Then gas, ins. maintenance , ETC. gets every expensive. I could dump 10K , but to get out there 10 times a yr.?? Lot of money .

Last edited by ihookem; 05/29/17.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by atse
Idaho, and Montana are terrible. Don't move here.

Montana is full. I hear every other state has room, though.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

Didn't think there was anything w/ that much elevation in NE Mt.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pat would tell you exactly where that was if he could remember. He was lost. 😉

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I grew up in SW PA. I left there as soon as I could escape.Spent ten years in NM and now 41 years in Colorado. I don't go east of the Mississippi if I can hep it. Folks back there have whole different way of thinking about things that don't match me. I looked into WY,,MT and ID when I retired, Too darn cold or windy. AZ, NV are too darn hot.Wouldn't even consider CA.
I guess I would go back to NM if I wasn't too old to move

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jpretle
[Linked Image]

Didn't think there was anything w/ that much elevation in NE Mt.

That's where I lived for 30+ years.....I can find my way back there on occasion. Five hour drive from my driveway to that place where I snapped that pic.

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know which is best, but I do know Maryland ain't on the list.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Okay, y'all just move along now. Nuttin to do/see/shoot in Idaho.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,093 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.