Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buzzards on my neighbors fence:

[Linked Image][/URL]

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If a guy moved about ten feet to the left he could them all with one shot of 3" 00.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buzzards don't bother me it's the coyotes and bobcats that bother me. And actually the neighbor and his daughter brought out there slingshots and started hitting them.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If a vulture dies, whether by natural causes or otherwise, do other vultures eat the dead one? Or are there some things too repulsive for even a vulture to dine on?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stantdm
Must be killing new born calves. I don't see them able to kill a cow or a calf that has been around for a few days.
Fresh newborns are the most vulnerable targets. Usually if a calf is born in the early night he will be up and going enough to be out of danger. The black headed smaller vulture is the culprit. The turkey buzzard not so much. In our area if action is not taken a herd will be constantly threatened by vultures. They are vicious and you will find 30 or 40 surrounding a cow with a new calf. The cow ends up trampling the calf while fighting buzzards. They can be convinced to stay away, although that lesson has to be reinforced from time to time. Next biggest problem is the neighborhood dogs wanting to pack up and resume their ancestral behavior. There is only one solution to that.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Know what you call more than 2 dogs together?? TARGET PRACTICE

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Or one dog, when calving I don't give a fuuck.

Shoot the sonuvabitch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually I'm a softy and HATE to shoot a dog but sometimes there is no other choice with a repeat offender.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam I was out of touch with the internet for a while, so what happened with the white dog? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Miles, he was recently adopted.

Hopefully it works out.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We never had black vultures until a few years ago.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Couple of years ago my wife and I found a young bull in the back of our place that had gotten through the fence, but was really sickly looking. A bunch of black buzzards had him surrounded, and seemed to be waiting for him to die - or maybe getting ready to help him die? I mentioned this to the biologist on a Wildlife Management Area not too far from us, and he said he saw several buzzards on a cow that had gotten weak and went down, and they were going for her eyes. Same summer a farmer in the next county - Matagorda - got arrested for shooting buzzards, paper said he claimed they were killing calves.

Mike

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Couple of years ago my wife and I found a young bull in the back of our place that had gotten through the fence, but was really sickly looking. A bunch of black buzzards had him surrounded, and seemed to be waiting for him to die - or maybe getting ready to help him die? I mentioned this to the biologist on a Wildlife Management Area not too far from us, and he said he saw several buzzards on a cow that had gotten weak and went down, and they were going for her eyes. Same summer a farmer in the next county - Matagorda - got arrested for shooting buzzards, paper said he claimed they were killing calves.

Mike

He wasn't doing it right.

There are lots of protected predators that will put you out of nearly any agriculture business. The trick is to know how and when. SSS only works if you follow the last "s"... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a cow to calve early yesterday morning. I had checked on her and the calf right before we left for church. Got home and had lunch, and I happened to walk outside and heard a cow bawling like crazy. Looked down toward the creek, and she was surrounded by vultures trying to get her afterbirth, which was still hanging out. She was fighting them. and one was also apparently trying to get on the calf. I grabbed a rifle, and by the time I got to gate, she was running away from them. One paid for his crime, the others stayed clear after that.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
wow, i thought they don't kill/hunt but feed on dead animals, this is my first times hearing that they are killing turkey and calf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we're calving, there's not a vulture within 500 miles of here. March/April.

1Minute
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P

Mike

i wonder why the feds are protecting vultures,

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman1k

Mike

i wonder why the feds are protecting vultures,

They protect most all birds. Just a very few exceptions. English Sparrow and couple of others. The rest are mostly protected or regulated.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.