Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

The other day I saw a picture of a beautiful rifle put together on a small ring Mauser action. It was signed "Christman". Can you tell me anything about his work? Is he still building rifles?

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Seems like Christman may have been a bench rest rifle builder, but I may have him confused with another.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Mike,

David is a member of the Guild and a fine craftsman. He built a 7x57 for me on a 1910 Mexican Mauser.

I believe TC1 (IIRC) also has a Mexican Mauser David put together.

A true southern gentleman.

Tell us more about the rifle!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RevMike
Folks:
The other day I saw a picture of a beautiful rifle put together on a small ring Mauser action. It was signed "Christman". Can you tell me anything about his work? Is he still building rifles?
Thanks
RM

I have been oogling a couple of his creations on GB and Hallowell for a while. Very functional. Subtle "class" without being "flashy"... JMO...

http://www.hallowellco.com/david_christman_double%20squarebridge%20mauser%207x57.htm

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635040081

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I have been oogling a couple of his creations on GB and Hallowell for a while. Very functional. Subtle "class" without being "flashy"... JMO...

http://www.hallowellco.com/david_christman_double%20squarebridge%20mauser%207x57.htm

That's the picture I saw. A friend who knows I'm a 7x57 junkie sent it to me, but unfortunately he didn't offer a loan to go along with it, not to mention that it would have to go back to Mr. Christman to have the stock shortened a bit.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
The Hallowell rifle belongs to me. I am selling to finance other projects.

It's a shooter!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
It's a nice looking rifle, no doubt. How tall are you? That stock would be a bit long for me. And are the iron sights functional or more cosmetic? I can't tell by the comb height.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
David has done a couple rifles for me and has restocked one for me. He is a very fine and honest gentleman.
Pictured below is David and Ed Shilen with myself a few years ago.
[Linked Image]
My half octagon 7x57 Mexican by David.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
David built this one about 12-15years ago. I really need to shoot it and at least work up a load for it.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I am 6ft 1". The iron sights are functional, however the rifle is primarily meant to be employed with a scope.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh, I gotta quit looking at these.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
David is a gem. When he lived here in WA he rebarreled a Ruger in 300WM for me. Short notice and nothing special. I had no idea of his true ability. Gun shot like a house a fire. Had him rebarrel a 700 probably 10 yrs ago also.
He is great to talk to without any pretensions!

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
The Hallowell rifle belongs to me. I am selling to finance other projects....

Sir, You have excellent taste in rifles. The only quibble I have with that rifle is that the bolt is on the wrong side... Classic rifle. Classic chambering. And accurate to boot... Hard to beat...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
He actually lives within an hours drive from me. He did have a website, but last time I tried to find it I could not so I am guessing he no longer has one but I've been told he is still in business. I recently bought a Ruger 77 tang safety from my LGS that is supposed to have been done by Mr. Christman. It has a Shilen barrel in 6mm Rem. Unfortunately, I am dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck and unable to shoot right now. Hopefully it won't be long.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Butch, that is some beautiful wood. Did he do the metal work as well?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

David did the whole project. As far as David/s website, I believe David has all he wants to do. David has the most well equipped shop that I have been in and everything is in its place.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

David did the whole project. As far as David/s website, I believe David has all he wants to do. David has the most well equipped shop that I have been in and everything is in its place.

Could I ask a favor? Someday when you have it out and have a caliper handy, would you measure the muzzle diameter (exclusive of the sight band) as well as the barrel about six inches from the action face? I know it's still octagon there, but it will give me an idea for something I'm toying with. No hurry, just if you ever think about it. Thanks.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
The Hallowell rifle belongs to me. I am selling to finance other projects.

It's a shooter!

Is the wrist as thick as it looks in the picture? Also, any idea about the drop at comb and heel?

Thanks

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Mike, I sent you a PM.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Could I ask a favor? Someday when you have it out and have a caliper handy, would you measure the muzzle diameter (exclusive of the sight band) as well as the barrel about six inches from the action face? I know it's still octagon there, but it will give me an idea for something I'm toying with. No hurry, just if you ever think about it. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I just viewed this thread. Do you still want info on the barrel.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm sorry, I just viewed this thread. Do you still want info on the barrel.

Butch:

No problem. I'd still like to have the info the next time you have the rifle out. I've been eyeballing some of your builds on the AR site. You have very good taste.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.