Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
GTS9 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Rather than alternating between a .25-06 for deer and antelope and a .30-06 with a really strong bullet for elk this year; I'd prefer, for the sake of both keeping things simple and doing a little experimenting, to just use one round out of one rifle for all three. That means finding a bullet that wil hold up and penetrate on an elk but isn't too tough and will provide proper expansion for antelope and deer (last year I used my elk cartridge, a bonded 180 grain .30-06 which is marketed for its weight retention, to bring down a very nice mule deer buck, and let me just say I was not impressed. Maybe I'm just talking out my ass here, but it just seemed like the bullet was too strong to provide the appropriate expansion and resulting terminal damage on the body of a lighter-than-elk big game animal). The bullet I'm considering using this fall is the 150 grain Nosler Accubond. The Accubond has a good reputation, and as I understand was designed to act around the same principles as the legendary Nosler Partion. Personally, I'm not worried that a 150 grain 06 won't be enough for elk. I know for certain that elk can be killed quite handily with 270s; in fact I know people who do just that, and some that even use smaller 6.5s. Plus, the lighter weight will help ensure better expansion on lighter game.

Does anybody else have an 06 cartridge they use for multiple game species? And what do you think of the 150 grain Accubond for the task I want performend?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to try the 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.I've only shot deer with them,but other people have used them on elk with great success.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear nosler partitions were formed in the fires of mount doom. Their soft lead tips expand well and the steel shanks penetrates deep. Perfect bullet if and that is the question if your rifle shoots them well. They are precious to me.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
308 and you can never go wrong

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I use a Lapua 155 gr Scenar. I shoot it in a 308 but an 06 would work as well.

A lot of folks on here use it on elk and I know it works well on deer and antelope.

Best of all, it seems to shoot well in every gun I've tried.

Try a box, you'll like them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use factory loads out of my 30/06. Winchester Super X 180 power points. I've used them on elk, deer, antelope and black bear---all in Colorado. Never a problem.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have used a 180 grain NPT handload from my '06 for all those species. A 165 would work well too. IMHO a 150 Accubond might be a bit light.

I am not sure which bonded bullets you are referring to. I find they are the least prone to give a lot of bloodshot meat but can be slow to open. The Trophy Bondeds I have used on from my '06 on deer worked fine. The 225 Trophy from my Whelen and Swift A-frames have been a little slow to open at times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2010 elk hunt, .30-06 and 150g AccuBond.
The cow was on the ground before I recovered from the recoil.

[Linked Image]

I also use AccuBonds in my .257 Roberts (110g) and .338WM (225g). in my .308 Win I use Ballistic Tips only because I haven't checked out my BT load with AccuBonds yet.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
180 gr Nosler Partition in the .30/06

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What makes you think a 165 gr bullet isn't adequate on Griz/Brown Bear? Especially with the shutzen-boomer you are using? But yeah, if your bullet is exploding a few inches in, I'd consider one higher up on the tough side.

Still, mass counts. If I was ever tohave to (not want to) shoot a brown/griz, I'd definitely want one toward the heavy end of the spectrum available in whatever caliber in use. So far tho, our pact is holding- if they don't try to put big ugly holes in me, I won't try to put big ugly holes in them. Been working for 49 years so far.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by GTS9
Rather than alternating between a .25-06 for deer and antelope and a .30-06 with a really strong bullet for elk this year; I'd prefer, for the sake of both keeping things simple and doing a little experimenting, to just use one round out of one rifle for all three. That means finding a bullet that wil hold up and penetrate on an elk but isn't too tough and will provide proper expansion for antelope and deer (last year I used my elk cartridge, a bonded 180 grain .30-06 which is marketed for its weight retention, to bring down a very nice mule deer buck, and let me just say I was not impressed. Maybe I'm just talking out my ass here, but it just seemed like the bullet was too strong to provide the appropriate expansion and resulting terminal damage on the body of a lighter-than-elk big game animal). The bullet I'm considering using this fall is the 150 grain Nosler Accubond. The Accubond has a good reputation, and as I understand was designed to act around the same principles as the legendary Nosler Partion. Personally, I'm not worried that a 150 grain 06 won't be enough for elk. I know for certain that elk can be killed quite handily with 270s; in fact I know people who do just that, and some that even use smaller 6.5s. Plus, the lighter weight will help ensure better expansion on lighter game.

Does anybody else have an 06 cartridge they use for multiple game species? And what do you think of the 150 grain Accubond for the task I want performend?

I am using factory Hornady Superperformace SST 150's in my '06 for caribou, at an advertise MV of 3080, as range is generally beyond 300 yards. They print 6 inches higher and 3 inches right of 150 gr. factory Corelocts, at 300 yards, with just marginally tighter groups. Extremely accurate in that rifle, with 3 shot groups hovering around an inch at 300 yards. If I behave.

The Hornady GMX bullet of the same weight is a mono, and is advertised to shoot to the same POI as the SST. I haven't tried it, but if it lives up to the hype, should be what you are asking for in whatever weight you choose. I'm getting the urge to try them out myself, just for grins. Certainly don't "need" them.

Use the SST on light stuff, the GMX on heavy stuff, or maybe just the GMX on everything if it proves workable on the light stuff as well.

I have yet to recover an SST, even beyond 400 yards, so penetration is not a problem, and expansion is certainly adequate! Belay that - I did recover one. From a moose I shot in the head at 30 yards. Nice mushroom of the last third or so.

Last edited by las; 05/10/17.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Partition is the best!

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
165 grain accubond or partition. And the 165 Hornady interlock has worked for me also. But then as I age I realize it's me, the shooter that counts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
10 years ago I'd have said trophy bonded bearclaw and still would but I have never had a TSX/TTSX fail me yet. There are so many good bullets these days that you'd be hard pressed to find a hunting bullet that wouldn't serve all your purposes.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I'm mainly an elk hunter these days but still hunt some deer. I now only shoot two bullets on everything and they have never failed me. The older Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and the Barnes TSX/TTSX

7-08 120 Barnes TTSX
280 Rem 140 or 160 TBBC
30-06 165 TBBC
300 WSM 165 TSX/TTSX
300 WIN 165 TTSX
338 Win 225 TSX

I've taken multiple elk with every one of these loads and deer with the 7-08,280,300 WSM,300 WIN

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd try the 165 Accubond and 165 Partition, use whichever shoots better for you. My brother has been using exclusively 165 Accubonds in his .30-06 for the last few years as his do-anything load, and has never complained.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
150 or 165 Accubonds.. you have the best of both worlds. Never shot either out of an 06, but have killed lots of elk w/ the out of my .300 & some. deer. May try my o6 this fall on elk, that is the bullet I will load.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alex38
I'd try the 165 Accubond and 165 Partition, use whichever shoots better for you. My brother has been using exclusively 165 Accubonds in his .30-06 for the last few years as his do-anything load, and has never complained.

I here with this advice for a do all bullet for the game you describe. I'd try the 165 Partition first.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd prefer, for the sake of both keeping things simple and doing a little experimenting, to just use one round out of one rifle for all three. That means finding a bullet that wil hold up and penetrate on an elk but isn't too tough and will provide proper expansion for antelope and deer

I always us one rifle/one load in the fall, antelope to elk. In the 30-06 a 165/68 or 180 Ballistic Tip, Partition or Accubond would be my choice.

In the 25-06, I'd use a 110 Accubond, 115 Ballistic Tip or Partition or 120 Partition.

Pick something that shoots well and kill stuff.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very happy with the 100g TTSX in my .257 Roberts and 168g in various .30 cals. Have not yet tried it in my ..3387WM but believe it would work very well.

As mentioned above, ABs work well in all as well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My answer to that same requirement in an -06 is a 150 mono at over 3k.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If a 130 grain cup and core in a .270 will kill elk, then a 130 mono (TSX/TTSX/GMX/E-Tip) is going to kill them at the very least just as well.

If a .270 mono will kill elk, the a 130 mono in 30-06 will kill elk just as well.

A 25-06 with a 100 or 115 grain mono will kill elk every bit as well as a .270.

Obviously, the antelope and deer will die just fine with either. You might go the rest of your life killing them with monos and never recover a bullet. I've put a lot of monos through big deer and never recovered the first one yet, including the ones shot with .223 and .243 rifles, and not a one of them lacked for hole size and tissue damage in any way, shape or form. The worst that can be said of them is that BC is a little less than cup and cores and they work better when the velocity is still high. That limit's range a little, mostly to inside 400 yards. That said, in fifty odd years of hunting, I have yet to even seriously consider shooting a deer at over 300 yards.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not one of my half dozen BG rifles shoots the a Partition as accurately as they do some other- mostly C&C. None of which have ever "failed" me.

If the Partition provided best accuracy, I'd use it. Actually, the only "failure" I've ever had was a 210 gr partition in .338WM. at 100 yards. It blew up on the shoulder blade of a moose, peppering the nearside lung with bb bits of bone and lead, but failing to reach the far lung. Never found the rear half, which I think must have ricochetted ourt the entry wound. Never used that round again.

Although the second 210 virtually up the nose of the moose as it lurched to it's feet when I was 10 feet out, did the job.... then I sat down on a log and shook for 5 minutes. Fk Partitions. Accuracy counts, and so does (even one of) experiences! Even if I know it ain't exactly logical.... smile

I'm prejudiced. Sue me.

Last edited by las; 05/16/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some dude in the Northwest designed a bullet in the 1940's that some claim is pretty good for most everything. Some government deal came up with with a cartridge in 1903-1906, that has became very popular worldwide as a general big game cartridge. Many people combine the two, in about 180 grain bullet weight, and claim success.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GTS9, I just reread your OP, and noticed you are a new member. I apologize for the smartass post. I thought you were just trolling. The 30-06 and a 165 or 180 gr Partition would be a great choice.

Welcome to the 'Fire, fasten your seat belt, it does get a little rough here occasionally. There is an amazing wealth of knowledge floating around this here, you just need to learn how to sift it out.

PS, don't buy a yellow Avalanche.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before the turn of the century, kind folks over at shooters.com suggested the 165 grain Hornady Interlock as the best all-around bullet for a 30-06. I've stuck with it all these years and I followed those people here, because they gave such good advice.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The title sounds very Metallica. A Blend of the .....And Justice For All and Kill 'Em All albums.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The 180's ain't half-bad, either.... smile. But that's just me. JJHack has been in on many times the kills I have, and concurs that the 165 is the go-to weight for the "06.

Last edited by las; 05/16/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
I hear nosler partitions were formed in the fires of mount doom. Their soft lead tips expand well and the steel shanks penetrates deep. Perfect bullet if and that is the question if your rifle shoots them well. They are precious to me.

When did Nosler start putting steel shanks in their Partitions? All of the Partitions that I've shot and seen had lead both in front of and behind the partition.

As to the OP's original question, back when the only rifle that I had was a .30-06 I would load Hornady 150 grain Spire Point bullets for mule deer and pronghorns, and Sierra 180 grain GameKings for elk. In the 10 or so years that I hunted with that rifle, I killed deer, elk, and antelope with the 150 grain Hornadys and I killed deer, elk, and antelope with the 180 grain Sierras.

Today if I was wanting one bullet in a .30-06 for all of those critters, I would look at the Barnes 168 grain TSX or TTSX bullets. I've used both of those bullets in my .300 Weatherby to take quite a few African, New Zealand, and western US animals varying in size from a 20 pound Klipspringer to a couple of Montana bull elk.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Steel shanks in a Partition? Seems like I recall some years back a bullet with a steel cup in a rear section but don't believe it was a Partition and don't know if the design survives.

Partitions have always provided decent accuracy for me but other bullets that I feel are equally as good or better provide better accuracy as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anybody else have an 06 cartridge they use for multiple game species?

Yes; but, to be honest, I use, and have used, many different '06 bullets for multiple species. I guess that's a major appeal of the '06 or the .308.

And what do you think of the 150 grain Accubond for the task I want performend?

It would be an excellent choice.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
150TTSX VORTX factory loading is the do-all in my -06. I have only taken 1 elk with it but my intentions are to use it on my WY mule deer hunt and NM Oryx hunt this year. After seeing the performance on my elk I have no reservations using it on any hooved game in NA. Not sure if it's enough for a big grizz but that's not on my list right now anyhow.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
[quote=mitchellmountain]I

Steel shanks in a Partition? Seems like I recall some years back a bullet with a steel cup in a rear section but don't believe it was a Partition and don't know if the design survives.

Winchester Fail Safe had the steel cup and I believe were made by Nosler. Some Norma and Kynoch bullets had steel jackets or sometimes a secondary jackets of steel.

In the 06 it would be harder to find a bullet that didn't perform well. There will always be trade offs for expansion vs penetration. Jack O'Conner wrote that if you fed enough information into a computer it might just spit out that the 165 grain bullet was the best for the 06. I'm with Jack on this one.

In the 25-06 I would be choosier especially if used on Elk and would lean towards a premium bullet in the 115-120 grain weight. But what I usually do is get two loads to shoot to the same sight setting with one hard one and one soft one that is also a less expensive bullet too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
130 Barnes TTSX driven fast from the 30-06. Best choice for most of North America.

115 Nosler BTip driven fast from the 25-06 will get it done on front-end shots.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Barns TTSX are the best!! Eat right up to the hole!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Partitions have always provided decent accuracy for me but other bullets that I feel are equally as good or better provide better accuracy as well.

The CT Partition Gold bullets have a steel cup in the base kinda-sorta like the Fail-Safes. I picked up 5 boxes of the .308 150s years ago for about $8 a box. Suspect it's a gimmick as I've never heard of the base of a NP failing.

SPS has had the regular 150 overruns for $20 for a while, btw.

What fresh Hell is this?
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use 200gr part in my 325 wsm and 180gr part in my 06.... So I guess it partitions for me.. now my 338 wsm I use 200gr a bombs

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by baldhunter
You might want to try the 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.I've only shot deer with them,but other people have used them on elk with great success.

Yep that's what I shoot exclusively in my 06 for that purpose (anything in lower 48).

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
200 gr Partitions at 2700 fps with RL-17 or RL-22.

H-4831 SC if you want 2800.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have hunting friends who use 243/100TSx; 270 w/150 Fusion factory loads; 308/150 Corlokts; 30-06/Vortex 168TTSX; 25-06/120 factory CorLokt and 6mm Remington/100 factory corlokts for everything out here! A 150 anything will do very well in your '06 as will any decently made 100-120 in your 25-06. Myself, I'm going Old School for awhile with a 7x57 and whatever it ends up shooting well, ha. Have a ball friend!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buffybr

When did Nosler start putting steel shanks in their Partitions? All of the Partitions that I've shot and seen had lead both in front of and behind the partition.

As to the OP's original question, back when the only rifle that I had was a .30-06 I would load Hornady 150 grain Spire Point bullets for mule deer and pronghorns, and Sierra 180 grain GameKings for elk. In the 10 or so years that I hunted with that rifle, I killed deer, elk, and antelope with the 150 grain Hornadys and I killed deer, elk, and antelope with the 180 grain Sierras.

Today if I was wanting one bullet in a .30-06 for all of those critters, I would look at the Barnes 168 grain TSX or TTSX bullets. I've used both of those bullets in my .300 Weatherby to take quite a few African, New Zealand, and western US animals varying in size from a 20 pound Klipspringer to a couple of Montana bull elk.

Oh for the love, I meant solid shank but solid might as well be steel. By the way, lots of lord of the rings references. If you were a nerd like me you would appreciate that.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BUFFY AND SLIDER ~

Nice Post Replys ~
Last season I witnessed your " eat right up to the hole " drill.
Young hunter, one Barnes 130g 270 win driving through not only one mature
Mulie but a second sport model that ran up behind the first. As
you described four pea size holes. Even though it was an interesting
french double both animals took too much time to expire for two 3/4
high double lung shots. Not terrible and weird stuff happens but
if you would please educate me on your barnes kills on Bull Elk.
In the mountains I hunt guys that are slinging copper prefer Nosler
E Tips but obviously Barnes are getting it done so some detail on Elk kills
would be sweet. The whole copper thing is tempting since they seem to fly great
and perhaps possible best best for shoulder slam if that scenario is best option.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
150 E-Tip or TTSX in your 30-06.

Last edited by RinB; 06/08/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
30-06 150 grain TTSX is my go to for all. If I had to pick a second it would be the 150 accubond. Both are Strong, accurate, moderate recoil pretty flat out to 350 or so depending on your load. Go forth and fill your freezer.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think your plan will do just fine GTS9.

Last fall I shot pronghorn, mule deer, black bear & elk, all with the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at about 2900 fps, from my 30-06 Rem 700. Worked great. Freezer is still very full.

Best of luck on your hunting season!

Guy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
284 Win with 160 gr Nosler Partitions.
Pencil holes and blood trails are of little interest to me.
I like strawberry jam in the chest cavity and " He went down right over there"- that is if he ran at all.
Just my opinion and experiences.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd load the 165 grain Partition in the 30-06 and slay creatures till God comes back.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Draftmule, I shot 6 Hartman Mountain Zebra (which are MUCH TOUGHER than an Elk) and 2 Gemsbok about 2 months ago in Namibia. I used handloaded 140gr Barns TTSX in 7mm Rem Mag.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can not tolerate the recoil of the 30-06 cartridge due to a motorcycle crash that left me injured with two compound fractures in my collar bones. Although healed, recoil still bothers me. So I hunt elk with a .308 Savage rifle shooting the Accubond ammo. The barrel has been MagnaPorted and a thick Limbsaver pad has been installed to tame the recoil. I've had very good luck with this outfit. The unique Accubond bullet provides excellent accuracy, rapid expansion within the chest organs, and above average weight retention. My longest shot was approx 225 yards. This ammo is a keeper.

Good hunting to you.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
10 years ago I'd have said trophy bonded bearclaw and still would but I have never had a TSX/TTSX fail me yet. There are so many good bullets these days that you'd be hard pressed to find a hunting bullet that wouldn't serve all your purposes.

Same here RE Barnes. When it really matters, which is almost all the time, Barnes gets the call for us.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

One of the main strengths of the 30-06 is versatility, but that means using different loads. Sticking to just one deprives you of one of the biggest reasons to use a 30-06, but I could probably get by with 165- or 180-grain Partitions if forced to go this route.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
These Federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullets look pretty good. Basically a lead core bonded front with a solid copper shank.

Federal Trophy Bonded Tip Bullet

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, quite an interesting bullet!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
These Federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullets look pretty good. Basically a lead core bonded front with a solid copper shank.

Federal Trophy Bonded Tip Bullet

[Linked Image]

I'll be curious when and if they are available for sale. The TBBC was sold in 25 packs for a ridiculous price. Maybe this time around Federal actually wants to sell some.....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by aheider
I'll be curious when and if they are available for sale. The TBBC was sold in 25 packs for a ridiculous price. Maybe this time around Federal actually wants to sell some.....

Available now at MidwayUSA: Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip B...Grain Polymer Tipped Boat Tail Box of 50

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Available now at MidwayUSA: Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip B...Grain Polymer Tipped Boat Tail Box of 50

Well there you go. I'll buy a couple boxes of the .277 130s and report back. grin

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I know the real answer is likely the 450 grain Barnes TSX .458 caliber bullet, which negates every listing prior, but make a list of the animals you hunt that could not be taken cleanly with the bullet of your choice. Bet there isn't many. That is why a cow has different steaks, not everyone wants chuck every night. Bullets are like that.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is really good news as far as I'm concerned. When the TBBC was first introduces by Federal in their ammunition they promised to make it available as a component. That was what, about 15 years ago?

More than once I've written that the Tipped Trophy Bonded is, IMHO, one of the best hunting bullets available. I tried to talk Mike Brady at North Fork to add a tip, to no avail. The new owners of North Fork have not added a tip either. While I have quite a few North Fork bullets on hand, I want to try the Tipped Trophy Bonded as the B.C. is higher. If they provide the accuracy and on-game performance the North Fork do, I'l be one very happy camper as the midwayusa price is considerably less than what I pay for North fork bullets.

Thank you Federal! (Fiinally!)

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

A lot of folks on here use it on elk and I know it works well on deer and antelope.

When Grafs was selling those 1k boxes of 155 Scenars, I picked some up. I could hunt deer, elk, coyotes, rockchucks, rabbits, etc for a good while before I run low. It is nice having one load that will hammer all manner of critters within reasonable ranges. My daughter and I run them in our Tikka .308s and have no complaints.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

When Grafs was selling those 1k boxes of 155 Scenars, I picked some up. I could hunt deer, elk, coyotes, rockchucks, rabbits, etc for a good while before I run low. It is nice having one load that will hammer all manner of critters within reasonable ranges. My daughter and I run them in our Tikka .308s and have no complaints.

Good stuff right there. Those bullets work.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.