Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What do you Canucks like best, the maple leaf, the beaver, the loon, others?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Add the caribou and polar bear, plus the narwhales, all symbolic of Canada, ........remove the current PM!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Poutine--definetly Poutine

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Cheese Whiz and ketchup? grin This is the wrangler on my 2008 hunt out of Toad River BC. That is moose pot roast. Every meal was coated so.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours well on the second Saturday in May.

Personally from travelling a wee bit abroad and a fair bit into the western US - and a couple times to Hawaii too I guess - have found that the red maple leaf is the most recognized symbol. That is to say folks other than Canucks recognize it first/most.

After that I'd suggest that the RCMP in red serge full dress uniform would be a close second.

Out west here photos of the mountains or rolling fields of grain are sometimes recognized as being Canadian, but then I've seen equally majestic mountains stateside and truly big grain fields are found on either side of the medicine line, so I can't really consider them as "Canadian" if that makes sense?

Anyway sir, those are the quick thoughts on the way out the door this morning, though I should add that Ed's unfortunate experience with the ketchup and cheese whiz cook thankfully is an unusual aberration in my experience. Cheese whiz AND ketchup together.... eek

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plenty of Bald Eagles up here, too, but that's easily recognized as an American symbol. I'd say the Timber wolf is a symbol of Canada, in addition to the others mentioned. The Maple leaf, yes, but the RCMP has lost my respect, so I don't see that organization as representative of the country anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Moose and Beaver would be two of them maybe Caribou as well.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
some design with a big bear on it will do.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not to answer my own question, but the Inuksuk in the north is a common symbol. The stacked rocks in a man shape.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It may be awhile before we see that on a five dollar bill.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Everyone loves a little beaver now and then.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BowRiverFlyGuy
Everyone loves a little beaver now and then.

A tasty creature that may or may not be considered a "Fur Bearing Mammal" in this day and age.

Last edited by troutfly; 05/15/17. Reason: spelling
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
wabigoon;

Anyway sir, those are the quick thoughts on the way out the door this morning, though I should add that Ed's unfortunate experience with the ketchup and cheese whiz cook thankfully is an unusual aberration in my experience. Cheese whiz AND ketchup together.... eek

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,
I trust all is well in your world.
Ketchup and Cheeze Whiz go great together on a hotdog along with some mustard and relish.
Add an ice cold A&W or Hires Root Beer and Pringles Chips and you have Saturday nights dinner at the Smith residence
Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you all can get Hires, I need to get a passport. As for symbols, maple leaf, moose and hockey work for me.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/16/17.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Cheese Whiz and ketchup? grin This is the wrangler on my 2008 hunt out of Toad River BC. That is moose pot roast. Every meal was coated so.

Not sure that is universal across Canada. Ketchup is in some locales but I've not seen cheezewhiz used like that. Looks disgusting.

Our national bird is the Gray Jay aka Moose Bird, or Whiskey Jack would be a good choice as they are found coast to coast, north to south.

Here's one I caught feeding on some Yukon caribou ribs during a fly-in hunt in 2010.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's another nation symbol. smile

[Linked Image]

T
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Here's another nation symbol. smile

[Linked Image]

Some good choices on here - the Leafs, the Moose, some 'bou ribs by the lake with a whisky jack -- and who doesn't like a good old school on-ice tilt?

As for the wrangler, he looks like a good kid so cut him some slack - lots of Canadian 10 year olds put weird stuff on their moose.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The beaver, certainly. The Canadian fur trade was a foundation for Canada's culture of "peace, order, and good government" vs. the USA's historical conquering of their "Wild West" and the practise of "Manifest Destiny". The Canadian fur trade, conducted by the Company of Adventurers trading into Hudson's Bay was for practical purposes the government of the British North America colony long before there was any official British or Canadian government in Rupert's land. We had to get along with our aboriginal peoples, at least enough to conduct profitable business. The Hudson's Bay company based in London, and the North West company based in Montreal are the only tangible reasons why Canada exists as it is today. They formed the basis of territorial claims so that Canada was not taken over by our somewhat over ambitious and acquisitive southern neighbours (and more recently friends).

Last edited by castnblast; 05/17/17. Reason: removed a word
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beer should be the symbol of Canada. Don't you recall the SNL skit "Great White North?" I was in Manitoba on the 24th anniversary of that TV bit. I've also had a Canadian Customs Officer tell me with a straight face that he wasn't sure he could let me visit since I didn't drink.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,992 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.