Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I think some "props" are in order for them.

My bullet of choice for my upcoming hunt was 270gr TSX.
They would not cycle in my new rifle. the 3rd bullet would jam practically every time.

I got in some 250gr TTSX in 375ruger from DoubleTap Ammo this week.

Went to the range today. Played around some open sight standing without a rest, shot fine at 40 and 50 yards.

But, zeroed my scope on the bench and then shot a 3/8 in group at 100 yards. I am shocked at that.

My trip is June 7. Presently, eland is the biggest animal on the list.
Was planning buffalo in a few years.
Now, I'm wishing I was buffalo hunting this year.

Still want to send another 30-40 rounds down range mostly standing up on sticks.
I will likely go a couple more times prior to our trip.

GB1

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
What rifle are you using? Curious about the 375 Ruger. I am a hardcore 375 H&H man. I am going to Australia next year on a buffalo cull hunt. Will be shooting 2-4 buff a day for a good week or so. Something in the neighborhood of 25 or so buff. Gonna take my H&H. Was interested about the Ruger. Might grab a Ruger guide gun(I am a lefty, they make one) and bring it as well and do a side by side test. Great opportunity to try out the 375 Ruger.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a Nosler M-48Outfitter.
I am going to have to send it to factory for adjustment when I get back so they can alter it so I can shoot other bullets.
But, these TTSX should be great.

I struggled with "which" 375 to buy for a long time.

1. I didn't want the Ruger guide gun because of the 20 inch barrel. I liked everything else about it.
2. I didn't want wood stocks because of my plans to hunt Alaska, BC, etc and I like stainless synthetic anyway. So, that left out the choices that most people like-- CZ, Winchester, etc.
3. I wanted iron sights on it, so that left out the Savage Bear Hunter and the Weatherby..,..... plus I hated the camo stock on the Bear Hunter.

This left me choosing between the Nosler, which is Cerakoted or the Montana Rifle Company.

Looking back, if I had it to do over again, I'd likely get the Savage and paint the stock and have a gunsmith put an iron sight on it.
I probably only feel this way because of the experience with this Nosler rifle having an issue with flat nosed bullets. If they can take care of that, I'll be very happy with it.

If you choose the ruger over the H&H, consider the 270gr TSX. You can get them from Double Tap if you don't reload.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
The Weatherby Vanguard V2 synthetic has iron sights. About $650. Hinterland has them in stock, others do as well. Savage made the 116 in 375 H&H SS with iron sights. GB has them listed as well. They are no longer factory produced. Also an affordable $700 gun. I will never choose the Ruger over the H&H, just want another rifle to play with and do an apples to oranges comparison. Since I am a lefty, and feel that for a DGR I have to have a true lefty action, for an affordable price the Ruger Guide gun seems like one of the very few options. Getting MRC to make a lefty 375 appears to be futile. I am actually gonna look into them making me a V2 SS 416 Rem mag lefty. Will probably have to wait close to a year. Want a fluted barrel. Bummer about your gun being finicky about ammo. My Win M70 eats up anything. Absolutely anything. Its a NH Super Express in lefty. I got in storage a LNIB Safari Express 375 H&H as well because the new Win powers that be have stopped making lefty guns. I am gonna lean real hard towards the 300 gr. Swift A-Frame sp. bullet. I hand load so I can do most anything with loads. I very much like the Weatherby Vanguard, and its very affordable. Slap a scope or reflex site on it and your ready for war.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Zengela,
I have a Ruger Hawkeye African .375 Ruger, that I used in Argentina a few years ago for Asian Buffalo. I used 270 gr. Barnes TSX loads, at a MV of 2800 fps. Very accurate load, and took down a big Buff with no problem.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Take a look at a Ruger Alaskan if you can find one, great rifles. I bought one NIB from Biebs, it shoots bugholes with 250 grain Barnes TTSX, I love the Hogue stock, 20" barrel and barrel band. Another member from this site bought the same rifle in 416 and it has shot 1 1/2" groups at 300 yards with 350 grain bullets.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.