Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12025860 05/10/17
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
AVET Reels had a Facebook video contest back in April. They had a week or two for folks to post videos of themselves using Avet reels, and they selected five finalists for voting. My video was one of the finalists, and after a week of voting, I'll be damned if I didn't win one of their JX Raptor reels!

Here is the video I submitted for the contest:
[img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/dvretz/th_Avet%20Reel%20Video_zpse9thkcpr.mp4[/img]

And, the reel arrived on Saturday:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm looking forward to trying it out soon!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I heard about AVET's new G2 models around Christmas, and I ordered a few back in January. After much anticipation, they arrived this week. I opened the boxes, and to my surprise, I managed to pull serial number one. I thought that was pretty cool!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's pretty awesome on both counts. I wish they'd stop jacking around and release a levelwind model. Sure could use a half dozen medium sized ones for my catfish rods. Their reels that I have used have all been first rate and I know they could build a levelwinder with equal quality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice video. What kind of rods do you use? They look much easier to handle than the short stubbies.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very cool. I love my 2 speed Avet with its butter smooth drag. I'd love to see them release a levelwind in a smaller reel with lever drag for salmon and other lighter duties. Congratulations on a great win. I'm sure you'll get many miles from those beauties.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Congrats, Dan!

lots of winning there.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently ordered an LX 6.0 one speed. On backorder. I already have a penn international 16vsx which has been a workhouse, 500yds of 100lb powerpro with room to spare. I ordered 65lb powerpro for the avet, should be a real nice all around rig.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats! Great score

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That neptune's heart G2 looks sweet!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats Dan, those are some sweet reels.
The video doesn't play for me, I don't know if it's on my end or what?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
I wish they'd stop jacking around and release a level wind model. Sure could use a half dozen medium sized ones for my catfish rods.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Although, I do adore my 6500C3's. I just bought a Catfish Special & plan to to buy several more.

Last edited by Reloder28; 05/11/17.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Congrats! Cool video. Hope to be on that boat one of these years!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Your # 1 Dan !

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on the win and a great video!

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on winning the video contest Dan!

I've long been a fan of Avet's for the saltwater.

[Linked Image]

Late buddy with a Seeker/JX combo, one of my favorites for jigging bottom fish.

As far as a level wind, I see them as something to add weight and fail. On the sx's we use for salmon rods so long as you don't use a max fill on the spool the line will slightly hump in the middle but it won't bind the reel and there's still plenty of room for 300 yds of 55# braid.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Nice video. What kind of rods do you use? They look much easier to handle than the short stubbies.

I have traditional 5'3" and 5'6" stout stand-up rods for dunking big weights in the strong Cook Inlet tides. Those severe tide currents require heavy lead weights, running up to 5-pounds, so the pool-cue rods are a necessary evil. I run Avet 2-speed EX 30/2 reels on all of our big halibut rods. That low gear sure makes it easier on the anglers.

Out of Seward and PWS, though, I much prefer fishing with lighter 6'6" jigging rods. I have tried several, including G.Loomis, St. Croix, TFO, Shimano, and Seeker. My favorite of the bunch is the 15-40# Seeker Blue Lightning II. They use a composite blank with a stout graphite butt section and softer fiberglass tip. They seem more durable than the 100% graphite blanks I've run, and they have plenty of backbone to pull up big halibut. As testament, there are several others in the video over 100 pounds caught on those rods.

Recently, I've resorted to buying Seeker blanks and building my own rods. I prefer a longer fore grip than the factory offering, and I'm using full aluminum reel seats and titanium-framed guides. They have turned out well, thanks to .358 NormaFan's help. And, now that I've started building rods, I've ordered up some blanks from other manufacturers, in my continuing quest for perfection. Just what I needed, another hobby that caters to my loony-level addictions. Sheesh! grin

I run Avet JX reels on my jigging rods. I can get 300yds of 80# braid, with a little room to spare, so they offer plenty of line capacity for the places I like to fish (up to 350' of water).

Originally Posted by TheKid
I wish they'd stop jacking around and release a level wind model. Sure could use a half dozen medium sized ones for my catfish rods.

I have mixed feelings on level wind reels. I ran them for a long time, and like you, wished and waited for Avet to offer one. I still have a few level wind reels on my freshwater rods, but I no longer have them on any of my saltwater rods. The level wind components always seem to be the weak link and the first thing to fail. I've had the pawl break in the middle of fighting fish, so that the line stacks up in one spot and jams the reel....all kinds of fun! I've seen more than a few pinched fingers in those stupid things, as well, and from personal experience I can vouch for the unexpectedly high pain factor associated with doing so. Ouch!

As a whole, I don't miss the level wind feature, at all. In fact, I just sold all of my Shimano Tekota reels on my trolling rods and upgraded them to Avet SX reels. I will miss the line-counter feature, for sure, but the little SX reels have all the line capacity of a Tekota 500, in a smaller, lighter, and much sexier, lever-drag package. Avet's magnetic cast control is a really nice feature for pitching 3-4oz rockfish jigs to a school of birds, as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No need for line counter if you use color marked line. I use Daiwa Saltega PE-4 and PE-5, good stuff.

The custom built seeker sounds like a good rod. My only complaint with the blue lightings is I've had several of the inserts in the guides pop out, haven't had that issue with any other rod. Aside from that, I've had those rods for almost 10 years and while sometimes I prefer a shorter parabolic rod for jigging, the blue lighting is just a rock solid rod for 8-24 oz jigs whether pulling up rock fish, lings or butts.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
No need for line counter if you use color marked line. I use Daiwa Saltega PE-4 and PE-5, good stuff.

Yep, I have Berkley Tracer braid on my trolling rods. It changes color every 2ft, so I count by fours as the line goes out.

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The custom built seeker sounds like a good rod. My only complaint with the blue lightings is I've had several of the inserts in the guides pop out, haven't had that issue with any other rod. Aside from that, I've had those rods for almost 10 years and while sometimes I prefer a shorter parabolic rod for jigging, the blue lighting is just a rock solid rod for 8-24 oz jigs whether pulling up rock fish, lings or butts.

I have AmTack guides on the first two I built, and I haven't had any issues with that one yet. At the recommendation of my parts supplier (Angler's Workshop), I tried the Alps titanium guides this time around. They are a little more robust and, oddly enough, less expensive. We'll see how they work this summer.

Here are the AmTack guides:
[Linked Image]

Here are the Alps guides:
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rost495
Hope to be on that boat one of these years!

Me too! I hope you're able to make it work one of these trips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the prize there Dan. Looks like you guys had a good time making the video as well.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.