Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Well I wanted to get something better than my 10/22 because I want to do more small game hunting this year. My 10/22 was an older synthetic/stainless carbine, good gun but I wanted to move up a bit to something in bolt action.

I was bummed when ruger stopped making the 77/22 because Id wanted one for years, the prices shot up on gun broker so I pretty much gave up on them. Id decided to get a CZ455 (and I still will at some point), I got on gunbroker today to order up a 455 but decided to do one last search for a 77/22.

well I found one for 525.00, synthetic, blued (I wanted stainless but beggars/ choosers and all that), I ordered it and im stoked. come with the scope rings already so Ill use those, I have a leupold 4x fixed power scope just sitting around so Ill use that on it, should make a nice gun for small game.

Ill post pics eventually when it arrives and I get it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I scooped up a 77/22 and a 77/22 magnum a few months back. I got both of mine for under $400. I finally got them to the range this past weekend to get them sighted in. I didn't do much accuracy work, but they both showed solid potential. The integral bases are hell for stout, but not really compact scope friendly. Bolt handle clearance is tight with the ocular lens, though I think you'll be OK with the fixed 4X. They are very well built guns. Smooth, solid, well-proportioned and balanced. Not too many are match grade accurate. I think I'll get mine to be 1/2 groups with the right ammo. Triggers can be heavy. Mine aren't light, but they are good enough to leave alone.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I scooped up a 77/22 and a 77/22 magnum a few months back. I got both of mine for under $400. I finally got them to the range this past weekend to get them sighted in. I didn't do much accuracy work, but they both showed solid potential. The integral bases are hell for stout, but not really compact scope friendly. Bolt handle clearance is tight with the ocular lens, though I think you'll be OK with the fixed 4X. They are very well built guns. Smooth, solid, well-proportioned and balanced. Not too many are match grade accurate. I think I'll get mine to be 1/2 groups with the right ammo. Triggers can be heavy. Mine aren't light, but they are good enough to leave alone.

Cool, I wish Id scored some for under 400 bucks, I just slacked off and then ruger topped making them, and I kept slacking and the good prices were gone. Im happy with what I got though.

Im not looking for a benchrest gun, just a small game rifle, I really want to do more small game hunting this year as I can just go out after work, out on my raft, walk the roads, camp and stuff like that. I see theres some trigger upgrades you can get, I might do that down the road but Im not too concerned at this point.

I still want a CZ455 but the big turn off for me with them is the way the magazine sticks out, it just looks ugly and takes away from such a nice rifle. I know they make a 5rd that sticks out less but still.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
it just looks ugly

just don't 'look' at it, then......

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

Originally Posted by huntsman22
it just looks ugly

I could see it snagging on my down jacket too when its over my shoulder on a sling while im snowshoeing, hiking or snow machining.

So its not just looks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
it just looks ugly

That used to work for me back in my drinking days!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought a SS 77/22 before Christmas when Sportsman's Warehouse was selling them off. I would have preferred .22 magnum but .22 long rifle will do. I had to get an extension ring for the front to mount the short Leupold 4X RF special on the very long 77/22 action. Played with the trigger a bit. I got the bolt shim kit but none of the shims are thin enough to fit so I guess Ruger must have been doing their homework the day mine was "born." I've only had it to the range once, just sighting in and playing with a couple kinds of ammo. It seemed to be improving as the day went on .. or I was getting the hang of it. I was shooting at half inch orange dots at 50 yards and by the end most of the holes were cleanly inside the border of the dot with CCI Mini Mag hollowpoint ammo.

In the long run I plan to get a little "more" scope for it. Seems to shoot well enough to warrant it. At the same time, it wasn't really a gun I planned to buy, I was building a 10/22 at the time, so I could still sell it and return back to what I meant to be doing before I got distracted. Just never know ...

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
AKPENNDUDE: Good for you on the 77/22 acquisition!
I really enjoy my Ruger 77/22's (one boat paddle, one Varmint/Target) they are accurate, reliable, great looking and hold their value WELL!
I have a feeling also that they will soon be increasing in value?
The rotary, 10 shot, flush fit magazine of the Ruger Model 77/22's is light years ahead of the CZ's magazine!
My Ruger 77/22 V/T (Varmint/Target) with a Weaver V-16 (variable 4 to 16 power) scope was along with me on a day long Varmint Safari yesterday and it constantly amazes me with it lethality on Ground Squirrels out to (an on occasion past!) 120 yards.
My 77/22 does have the relatively inexpensive Volquartsen trigger sear and spring kit installed.
Good luck with yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
AKPENNDUDE: Good for you on the 77/22 acquisition!
I really enjoy my Ruger 77/22's (one boat paddle, one Varmint/Target) they are accurate, reliable, great looking and hold their value WELL!
I have a feeling also that they will soon be increasing in value?
The rotary, 10 shot, flush fit magazine of the Ruger Model 77/22's is light years ahead of the CZ's magazine!
My Ruger 77/22 V/T (Varmint/Target) with a Weaver V-16 (variable 4 to 16 power) scope was along with me on a day long Varmint Safari yesterday and it constantly amazes me with it lethality on Ground Squirrels out to (an on occasion past!) 120 yards.
My 77/22 does have the relatively inexpensive Volquartsen trigger sear and spring kit installed.
Good luck with yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good point on the Ruger rotary mags.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.