Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm the youngest of my gang of 3. We've been hunting together for MANY years. I'm 68 and the others are 71 and 72. One is developing bad knees and the other is getting to like his fishing a lot more than hunting. We just applied for our Idaho elk tags for this year but it remains to be seen whether they can or will hunt if we draw. Hopefully I'll be good for quite a few more years but I sure hate to have to find new partners at this age.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect trout clean up much easier than elk. Lol.

Good luck. Hope you fellas draw and have a great hunt.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I suspect trout clean up much easier than elk.

Yep, and the pack out is not as strenuous. Unless you're a really good fisherman...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
All of my best (non-family) hunting buddies have passed on to the Happy Hunting Grounds. Fortunately, my sons still like to hunt big game and birds.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's definitely one of the difficulties of getting older, as I'm in something of the same position, since most of my former hunting partners are either dead, or looking to shoot the first legal deer they see, because elk hunting is too much work.

The ideal solution, of course, is to find younger hunting partners, but most of them also have different priorities than older hunters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have the same problem here.My long time friend/hunting partner had to stop riding and he has stopped elk hunting .In addition his wife is not doing well health wise. My other hunting partner is younger than I ,but doesn't have the desire to really kill an elk, but likes the trip.This year,he is only going ML hunting and not rifle hunting with me. I will be 74 this coming season ,I am pushing it, but will still go I guess by myself for rifle season. I just need to cut up the elk in smaller pieces to lift up on the mule.

It's harder to find partners with horses or mules too.. If not,then I tend to overwork my stock when foot hunters go long

As Mule Deer said,the ideal solution, of course, is to find younger hunting partners, but most of them also have different priorities than older hunters. I haven't found and that wants to put in the effort or has the time off to get away for an entire season,let alone two. The few I have taken either says I work too hard at it,or wants to go into town to drink or watch a foot ball game.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/11/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rocky:

I have the same problem. I'm 69 and it's been several years since my old hunting partners cashed in their chips.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have reached the point where I am always the oldest one in elk camp, deer camp and on bird hunts. I am fortunate to have a stepson who lives to hunt. He is a beast, and a handful to keep up with, but he takes good care of me. I also have a few younger friends that I hunt with each year that are a lot of fun, and my younger daughter also makes time in her busy life to hunt with Dad once in a while.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
He is a beast, and a handful to keep up with, but he takes good care of me.

I used to have a hunting partner that fit that description, but he up and moved out of state on me. Rare as hen's teeth.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Me too.

It's something that makes me think of how short life is. I have stayed in good shape all my life, but nothing will keep you young forever. I have out-hunted most of my friends and out lived quite a few also. But now I am feeling some of the effects of age. I know I can eat right, stay in shape and do "young mans things" for a while longer (Hopefully quite a while) and I will .........but someday my young hunting partners will have to replace me too.

Man.........this life has gone by fast!

This saying is so true.
"I expect to pass through the world but once.
Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any creature, let me do it now. Let me
not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again.-----
IStephen Grellet,

That's why I share my experience and my knowledge when and where I can, and I charge nothign for it.
I want it to have value and when I am gone the value goes with me, unless I pass it on.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit hunting with my old partners a while ago.
I have two sons and a SIL that love to hunt along with my wife. My boys usually bring along a friend or two that I have known sense they were in grade school.
I rather enjoy being the old guy that teaches them things and they even enjoy listening to my old story's. Having strong lads around to do the heavy lifting is great, they even say, "let me get that for you" .

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What is an SIL?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow, guess there are a lot of people in the same boat. I usually hunt alone, it is getting tougher each year to deal w/ downed game.. Fortunately I have several younger friends that are very helpful if I need a hand getting my game out.. Bird hunting and hunting are much more fun than elk.. Didn't draw a sheep tag this year, and doubt I apply again.. Fortunately, I have a couple nice rams, and plenty of other hunting and fishing to do..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Going through the same thing. My elk hunting partner is 72 and I'm 59 going on 60. I still hit it 4x a week at the gym and ready to go. He is telling me this might be our last hunt this fall. Dang...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As long as I can walk, I don't have to pack meat because I have a string of pack llamas. That's what has kept my partners going this long. 5 miles doesn't bother me a bit as long as I don't have a load to carry and nobody's in a rush.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Many of us understand your dilemma. I was the youngest of our group 31 years ago and I am the only one left. The younger guys I have brought in have either moved and no longer hunt elk, they have started bow hunting, or only use outfitters. Good luck with finding new partners.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Same here, hunting buddies passed on some 6-8 years ago. I was the youngin. Now I hunt alone, and don't mind it much anymore. I have a couple old phart friends who will help load game if I really need help. And I don't do much traipsin' around the countryside like I did. Just hunt more local and the same areas mainly. No new country adventures.

Other hunters often pity this old broad in da woods, and tell me where their camp is to get them, if I want some help to get game out or there's trouble. The young Oilfield/Gasfield guys have been great, very kind and helpful to me.

Last edited by Wyogal; 05/11/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by szihn
What is an SIL?

Son-in-law

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm 71 with bad knees, one replaced about a year and a half ago! Had a friend come over and go out elk hunting with me last year, my son didn't get a tag. Put in for a cow tag this year and will probably get it but unless my son get's one too, I'm not shooting an elk that is not standing right by the road. To much work for an old man with bad knees!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother and I started hunting as the young generation at elk camp and were able to join our 5 older uncles on elk hunts. We did much of the grunt work.
These days that older generation has all hung up their guns and my brother and I are the elders in elk camp.
We are very fortunate to have two younger fellas that hunt with us each year and are very physically capable.
Those two fellas have boys that are getting to the age where they may begin to get interested in seeing what it is all about.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.