Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
7_08FAN Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anyone running a 700? If so, any problems or concerns with them? Is the lack of power steering on the base model a deal breaker? I know your the 1000 EPS would be a lot more machine but more money and may keep my eyes open for a used 700. Thanks

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had mine for almost 3 years now. Not the first problem with it. Never had one with power steering so I have nothing to compare it to. It's not difficult to steer at all. Only "must do" IMO if you use it in muddy conditions, is to add fender flares to it. You will be wearing as much mud as the machine if you don't. I was pissed when I bought mine and then Honda introduced the 1000 about 3 months afterwards, but the price difference is enough incentive to keep what I have. It gets used but not abused.. Only maintenance other than fluid changes has been a set of front brake pads.

[Linked Image]

The reason for the brake pad replacement. That coarse river sand is hell on brakes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by badger; 04/16/17.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a 700-4 back in Feb. Have put about 250 miles on it, no issues or regrets. Lack of PS has not been an issue for me. Second ground squirrel shooting trip, can hold the rifle and steer.

Have run the thing up in the mountains, from 4500' up to about 7500', never felt underpowered. But, not trying to run 60 mph either.

We test drove a Yamaha 700 Viking(non-PS) as well, the Honda turns much easier. The Yamaha felt like it had no PS, the Honda didnt.

I figure PS is just one more thing to break.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

7_08FAN Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info. I also rode a Yamaha Rhino and it steered much harder than the Honda. No hurry so still looking at the options.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We looked at the Pioneer but whatever we bought had to fit in my pickup so that meant a 50". Honda's 500 is the only 50 they make and it didn't impress me much. We ended up with a good used Polaris RZR 800.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 700-4 that I bought new almost 2 years ago. I've put close 2k miles on it so far. Its really a great machine. I think the best part about it is that it has a traditional transmission vs the CVT of the other competition. You can put around at low RPM's and not burn a ton of gas or be super loud.

I've had zero problems with mine so far, but will prob take it in this summer to have the valve's adjusted. Evidently, that shiz is important.

-Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I took a buddy's pioneer 700 to Wyoming last year during Antelope season without issue. My only complaint was the width of the cab. If you're only going to haul two guys it's perfect. If you want to haul three guys across the bench seat you will wish you had something different. I ended up buying a Polaris Ranger 900xp after that trip.

And if you get the windshield, get the glass installed in the back of the cab too. Without it the backdraft of dust is terrible!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have a rear window but I do have a screen. It helps a lot with the dust.

Speaking of windshields...there are 2 types, a full size and a half size. The full size is great in colder weather but the 1/2 size is pretty much useless. I prefer to not have one rather than the 1/2. At any rate, most of the windshields I've seen are held on with bolts and straps. I find it's easier to carry a handful of zip ties and a cutter in the glove box. The bolts are a PITA.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not missed not having PS in my 400-4. My 9yo has no problem with it either. So far I'm very happy with the machine. It's not going to win many "foot races" with some other brands, but it's more than fast enough for my needs. I use my for some light disking of food plots and it seems to do it easier than my BILs Polaris. Might be the transmission difference as mine seems a bit easier to putt around with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't have a rear window but I do have a screen. It helps a lot with the dust.

Speaking of windshields...there are 2 types, a full size and a half size. The full size is great in colder weather but the 1/2 size is pretty much useless. I prefer to not have one rather than the 1/2. At any rate, most of the windshields I've seen are held on with bolts and straps. I find it's easier to carry a handful of zip ties and a cutter in the glove box. The bolts are a PITA.

Look at my photos. That's a Honda Hardcoat windshield that is hinged at the top. Opens about 6" and allows pretty good airflow in warm weather. Has turnbuckle style attachments that allow removal in just a few minutes by one person. The rear window is also a Honda accessory, and has a zipper to open the center section.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Look into the Kolpin split windshield, I've got one on my Rhino and it works great for all situations and having a rear window will help keep the dust down in the cab.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Look into the Kolpin split windshield, I've got one on my Rhino and it works great for all situations and having a rear window will help keep the dust down in the cab.
Mine is a 2012 RZR 800 50". Kolpin doesn't make anything that fits it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one is for the 2012 RZR 800.

[Linked Image]

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty sure that one only fits a 60". Mine's a 50.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, it fits the 50" according to their website, open the link and go to specs.

https://www.kolpin.com/rzr-full-tilting-windshield

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.