-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just put my feeders out. I've heard a few, they're coming.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hatari
I saw one tonight fly to my feeder and turn up his nose. I emptied my feeder and refilled with fresh. We'll see tomorrow.

You'll rot their teeth out.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm going to pour 2.5% peritoneal dialysis solution in a feeder and see if they'll go for it. I have about 200 2-liter bags taking up space.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
First ones yesterday here in southwest Wisconsin, also first Orioles

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had our first Oriole yesterday here in the Northwoods. Also a male Evening Grosbeak. Going to put out some orange halves full of jelly today. Hummingbirds are a little late.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We get a Grosbeak occasionally, but not too often. Migrating I guess. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Originally Posted by hatari
I saw one tonight fly to my feeder and turn up his nose. I emptied my feeder and refilled with fresh. We'll see tomorrow.

You'll rot their teeth out.

They can have implants

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What about cardinals? My wife is thrilled that we have a pair about.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

We always have Cardinals at our sunflower seed feeders year-round. They are one of the most common song birds around my part of the country.

Red breasted Grosbeaks are passing through here now too. Some years Indigo Buntings pass through along with the Grosbeaks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a lot of Cardinals and Tit mice.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Our Goldfinch feeder pretty well stays busy most days this time of the year, too. Goldfinch and Hummingbird feeder are the only feeders that the Starlings can't feed from. If they could they figure out how to they would hog over them like they do regular seed feeders.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The hovering little gluttons are emptying two feeders (one a half quart) a day. Freeloaders.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had one buzzing in the ceiling of my greenhouse. It was too stupid to fly down and out the door. Just kept pinging off the ceiling panel for a couple hours. If it wouldve came out, I was going to give it a load of #6

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not worth shooting a little Hummingbird. You will put holes in your greenhouse. They are fun to watch, so let them fly around. We get dozens of them in Northern Wisconsin in the summer. Amazing little bugger;s when you look at how far they migrate every year. I lived in Illinois for years and never saw one until I retired up here

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I'm going to pour 2.5% peritoneal dialysis solution in a feeder and see if they'll go for it. I have about 200 2-liter bags taking up space.

slumlord,
you may want to check with a local university or fish and game bird biologist, there's stuff in this brand (don;t know which one you have) that might not be good for them. Generally, they use nectar from flowers and sugar (sucrose) for energy and water solutions mimic that. Not sure what sodium lactate and the salts in the dialysis sol'n will do to them. You may end up with dead birds around your feeder or none coming back the next day;

http://www.baxterhealthcare.com.au/downloads/healthcare_professionals/cmi_pi/dianeal_pi.pdf

I have seen over the years honey is not recommended either.

Plain sugar, no coloring.

I saw the first hummer for my area yesterday and again today.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What about cardinals? My wife is thrilled that we have a pair about.

We have cardinals like some people have mice. Beautiful birds, but not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Every year one or two suicide against my storm door, even with UV "leaves" stuck to the glass. I finally hung a fancy Chinese doodad in front to ward them off.

What fresh Hell is this?
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Success! Hummers are back.

It seems that the birds don't like the commercial made necter, especially when it was left over from last season. Went the sugar - water route and they finally came back.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That commercial stuff is vile. Never use it. Also never use anything but cane sugar. Honey is bad for them, for example. You also don't need coloring if there is any red on the feeder itself.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I'm sure it's in the thread and I've missed it but what is the mixture you guys are using for your hummingbirds?

Thanks

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You'll find recipes anywhere from 2-1 to 4-1 water-sugar Anything more than the 4-1 ratio and you'll have to boil it to get the sugar dissolved. The birds don't seem to care. My small feeders hold 8 oz of water and I use a quarter cup of sugar in hot water from the tap. My quart feeder gets a cup of sugar if I fill it. I usually fill it only halfway to keep the mix fresher, though.

The birds carry molds, yeasts, and bacteria on their beaks, so your nectar can get funky if it sits too long in the feeder. When mine start to show black mold or such inside, I give them an alcohol rinse or a weak bleach rinse, and then multiple hot water rinses to get the chemicals out before refilling them. My Best-1 feeders completely disassemble, so that allows me to clean the insides of them, also. It's a major reason why I recommend Best-1 feeders.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (257wthbylover, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.